Visiting without acceptance

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
pearl_earrings

Visiting without acceptance

Postby pearl_earrings » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:09 am

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taw856

Re: Visiting without acceptance

Postby taw856 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:11 am

I'm sure people do this all the time. Telling them you're a prospective student doesn't even necessarily imply that you've applied yet; for all they know you could be checking out schools in preparation for the next admissions cycle.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 am

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:40 am

I would think that it doesn't matter at all. I am thinking about applying binding ED to a school, so it would make sense to check out my prospective schools before I even apply to any of them. You want to make sure that whatever school you go to is good fit and everyone has a different schedule.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:17 pm

I just went and visited a school that I had applied to several weeks ago. I had the day off work and was sitting there trying to figure out what to do with my day. I called them up out of the blue and arranged a tour (the school is about an hour from my apt.) I can only think it helped me. I got to sit in on a class, take a tour with a current law student and meet and have lengthy conversations with some admissions officers. They were very welcoming and seemed delighted to have prospective students come visit. I told them I had applied a few weeks back and that I was seriously considering the school. I also made sure to send an email to the woman in the admissions office after I got back home that served as both a thank you note as well as a reaffirmation of my interest and desire to attend. At the very least, if you are even semi-personable, you have given them a face and personality to match to your name on the app. when they get to it.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 am

Foosters Galore wrote:I just went and visited a school that I had applied to several weeks ago. I had the day off work and was sitting there trying to figure out what to do with my day. I called them up out of the blue and arranged a tour (the school is about an hour from my apt.) I can only think it helped me. I got to sit in on a class, take a tour with a current law student and meet and have lengthy conversations with some admissions officers. They were very welcoming and seemed delighted to have prospective students come visit. I told them I had applied a few weeks back and that I was seriously considering the school. I also made sure to send an email to the woman in the admissions office after I got back home that served as both a thank you note as well as a reaffirmation of my interest and desire to attend. At the very least, if you are even semi-personable, you have given them a face and personality to match to your name on the app. when they get to it.

+1 I did the same thing and it made a big difference in my apps process...informally, they were able to put a face to the name in a situation that doesn't usually do interviews per se. It also helped me decide if I just liked the feel of the place above and beyond the viewbook hype. Then, I found I could put so much more weight into my app and taylor it genuinely to the school's focus. The sincerity helps. I def recommend the thank you notes and all the good manners your mom taught you. Bring it all out. Now's the time. (Dress well).

1WingedAngel

Postby 1WingedAngel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 am

Go for it. It's perfectly reasonable to want to check out a school you spent money applying to and may have to decide about in the future. And yes, identify yourself. Like Foo said, it can possibly help you (unless you act like a jerk).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:09 am

Many people visit prior to acceptance. In fact, they do so with the intention of writing a LOCI which describes their visit and how much it impressed them and convinced them of why they wanted to attend, in the hopes it will convince the adcomms they're serious about attending. Truly hardcore applicants will do this multiple times.

See also: OperaSoprano.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:43 pm

lawman335

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 am

How can u visit a school without being accepted to that school............

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:14 am

lawman335 wrote:How can u visit a school without being accepted to that school............

You book a flight, rent a car at the airport, drive to the school, and walk inside.

Is it really that complicated?

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Okay so I'm going to make some visits...
My mom is coming with me. Do I bring her along on campus tours? I would appreciate her opinion, but I don't want to come off as immature.
Note that these are just visits - not ASWs.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:55 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Thoughts on visiting as a prospective (but not admitted) student?
I know that it won't necessarily help admissions chances, but I'd really love to go to a school and get a better feel for the campus. If I call the admissions office and ask about this, does it send the wrong message? I don't want them to think I'm doing it to try to improve my chances, or because I'm expecting an acceptance... I genuinely want to check out the area. Is this a waste of my time? Is it too bold to visit on my own?

People visit without being accepted all of the time. Most of the visits I've made have been without being accepted ... actually all of them to date. It is pretty normal.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:58 am

If I haven't heard back from Berk by the time my spring break comes around, I'm going to try my best to make it out there for a visit and beg adcomms to let me in.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Visiting is always a good idea. If you tell a school that you'd like to visit and they shut you down because you're not accepted, don't go there. They may want you to wait for an ASD or for a specific day that works for them, which I think is understandable, but they want you to visit because they want you to be happy with your decision if you end up there.

Whether one brings a parent or significant other is a personal decision. I saw more at the one ASD I went to, but I did see a couple parents on other tours as well. However, the vast majority of prospective students I met came alone. So, if you want to bring someone, do it. For many it's not just a decision for you but also for a significant other or parents (if they are partially paying). I don't think anyone at the school will care either way if that's what you want.

My $0.02.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”