NYU ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
pikalove

Re: NYU ASW

Postby pikalove » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:58 am

tomhobbes wrote:
Kronk wrote:I think a few of us were there so we can answer questions maybe. I actually was a lot more impressed with the school the second day. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the campus and etc. It is very beautiful and facilities were great. NYU seems to live up to it's laid back reputation and I think if you don't get into HYS and want to do PI, it's the place to go on the East for sure.

Did you go to the judge presentation or listen to Bryan Stevenson?

I went to the Bryan Stevenson/PI information session. I thought that he was an incredibly inspirational speaker, which made me want to enter PI work more than ever. Was anyone else there? If not, if there are any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them:)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:16 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
Kronk wrote:
roxj wrote:
Kronk wrote:Went today. I was so-so on NYU. If I was going to go to school in NYC, it would be NYU though. And the classes were awesome. I will post pics this weekend for everyone, but the "campus" is awesome and all the facilities rock.

Please post pics/tell us more! I wanted to make it out but couldn't!

I think a few of us were there so we can answer questions maybe. I actually was a lot more impressed with the school the second day. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the campus and etc. It is very beautiful and facilities were great. NYU seems to live up to it's laid back reputation and I think if you don't get into HYS and want to do PI, it's the place to go on the East for sure.

Did you go to the judge presentation or listen to Bryan Stevenson?

Both, yeah. The judge thing was informative but boring. Stevenson was great.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Washington Square Park Arch (campus surrounds WSP):

WSP:
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

Vanderbilt Hall (main LS building)
--ImageRemoved--

Bobst Library (main campus library--law library is in the law building):
--ImageRemoved--

Student Center:

Mercer Hall (the "bigger" student housing):
Last edited by Kronk on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinch

Postby kinch » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:40 pm

The PI thing with Stevenson was great, but so was the corporate law one with Chesler and Lipton.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Does anyone know exactly what the rates are for Mercer and D'ag? So they differ? Is getting a "bigger" room strictly lottery?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Thanks for the pics Kronk

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:48 pm

TheWire wrote:Does anyone know exactly what the rates are for Mercer and D'ag? So they differ? Is getting a "bigger" room strictly lottery?

Thanks in advance

No. Mercer is in less demand despite the bigger rooms. They had empty rooms this year, according to the students. I had no desire to live in either after seeing both though, as they remind me of undergrad dorms. I will probably live in Brooklyn if I attend NYU.

I don't know the exact rates, and they are a little complicated because NYU gives you a 1-month rebate on rent if you live the whole school year there. They range from like $1100 for a single bedroom in a triple in D'Agostino to $1500 for a single with no roommates in Mercer. The rates are online, I believe.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:48 pm

Awesome pictures Kronk, I'm kind of wishing now I'd done NYU's ASW right after Columbia's. I may be paying NYC another visit..

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Amelie wrote:Awesome pictures Kronk, I'm kind of wishing now I'd done NYU's ASW right after Columbia's. I may be paying NYC another visit..

Ha. I went out to 1020 bar to meet a friend at CLS ASW the first day--were you there?

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:53 pm

Kronk wrote:
TheWire wrote:Does anyone know exactly what the rates are for Mercer and D'ag? So they differ? Is getting a "bigger" room strictly lottery?

Thanks in advance

No. Mercer is in less demand despite the bigger rooms. They had empty rooms this year, according to the students. I had no desire to live in either after seeing both though, as they remind me of undergrad dorms. I will probably live in Brooklyn if I attend NYU.

I don't know the exact rates, and they are a little complicated because NYU gives you a 1-month rebate on rent if you live the whole school year there. They range from like $1100 for a single bedroom in a triple in D'Agostino to $1500 for a single with no roommates in Mercer. The rates are online, I believe.

Thanks Kronk.
Did any of the students mention the difficulty of getting a single?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Kronk wrote:
Amelie wrote:Awesome pictures Kronk, I'm kind of wishing now I'd done NYU's ASW right after Columbia's. I may be paying NYC another visit..

Ha. I went out to 1020 bar to meet a friend at CLS ASW the first day--were you there?

Haha, yes I was actually... I never turn down a free drink. Hmm maybe I saw you without knowing...

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Amelie wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Haha, yes I was actually... I never turn down a free drink. Hmm maybe I saw you without knowing...

Dang! This was our perfect chance to prove that we aren't the same person. We were in the same room at the same time!

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Kronk wrote:
Amelie wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Dang! This was our perfect chance to prove that we aren't the same person. We were in the same room at the same time!

That is weird.... You going to UVA or Boalt's ASW?
Last edited by Amelie on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Amelie wrote:
That is weird... I was actually called out while there too lol (hence the new name). You going to UVA or Boalt's ASW?

Yeah. I was called out TWICE at ASWs and my handle on TLS wasn't even my name...I guess people just remembered my interests and undergrad. Which is insane. Also, once I posted a picture and someone from TLS recognized me as a famous internet poaster.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:07 pm

TheWire wrote:
Thanks Kronk.
Did any of the students mention the difficulty of getting a single?

No, but the people I talked to lived in doubles or triples. I have no clue how hard it is. I know you can put your name in the lottery and see what you get and then decide against it anyhow, so.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Kronk wrote:
Amelie wrote:
That is weird... I was actually called out while there too lol (hence the new name). You going to UVA or Boalt's ASW?

Yeah. I was called out TWICE at ASWs and my handle on TLS wasn't even my name...I guess people just remembered my interests and undergrad. Which is insane. Also, once I posted a picture and someone from TLS recognized me as a famous internet poaster.

Hahaha I just died laughing... I guess you're a celebrity.
Last edited by Amelie on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Boalt I am going to, but I am not going to bother with UVA. I really don't want to attend and Chicago (I think) is raising their scholarship offer for me. They have a good PI program for the niche I want to work in and said they're making their HPIP better so if I was going to take money it'd be at Chicago.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Kronk wrote:Boalt I am going to, but I am not going to bother with UVA. I really don't want to attend and Chicago (I think) is raising their scholarship offer for me. They have a good PI program for the niche I want to work in and said they're making their HPIP better so if I was going to take money it'd be at Chicago.

Yea makes sense, for me the lack of environmental stuff was the killer. But maybe we'll be in same room at the same time again at Berk :wink:

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:17 pm

kinch wrote:The PI thing with Stevenson was great, but so was the corporate law one with Chesler and Lipton.

Yeah, the PI thing was amazing - and I have a very low eye roll threshold for public speakers. The corporate thing was interesting, but also a little funny. If I ever have a whole bunch of popcorn and nowhere to eat it, I'm going to go to my husband's office and wonder aloud whether shareholders should have a say in executive compensation.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:27 am

The thing about Bryan Stevenson, though, is that he both inspires you and depresses you. It's inspiring to realize that there are truly good people in the world, and it's depressing when you remember that while he's out saving fucking lives, you're planning to sell your soul for $160k per year or hoping to land that cushy academic job.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:33 pm

FWIW, i was at the ASW..granted i missed the 2nd day due to going out prior night (somewhat incapacitated)...but rather than attending the scheduled events for that day, I walked around the neighborhood with a friend of mine from undergrad. explored SOHO, and other parts within walking distance of NYU and found it to be amazing. it's full of young students and people. i think the community is what is swaying me to NYU over anything else. Bottom line, i don't want law school to engulf my life, and if it does, I want to have an outlet, which I think the location of NYU provides. it provides an atmosphere where you can go elsewhere and fraternize with non-law school students (helps because a bunch of my undergrad friends are going to nyc). anyways that's what i got out of ASW, hope it helps

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:19 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:FWIW, i was at the ASW..granted i missed the 2nd day due to going out prior night (somewhat incapacitated)...but rather than attending the scheduled events for that day, I walked around the neighborhood with a friend of mine from undergrad. explored SOHO, and other parts within walking distance of NYU and found it to be amazing. it's full of young students and people. i think the community is what is swaying me to NYU over anything else. Bottom line, i don't want law school to engulf my life, and if it does, I want to have an outlet, which I think the location of NYU provides. it provides an atmosphere where you can go elsewhere and fraternize with non-law school students (helps because a bunch of my undergrad friends are going to nyc). anyways that's what i got out of ASW, hope it helps

Weak. We were out until 6am the night before the second day's ASW and still made it by a reasonable 11:30am ;)

Plus the first day was relatively worthless and the second day was amazing imo.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Kronk wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:FWIW, i was at the ASW..granted i missed the 2nd day due to going out prior night (somewhat incapacitated)...but rather than attending the scheduled events for that day, I walked around the neighborhood with a friend of mine from undergrad. explored SOHO, and other parts within walking distance of NYU and found it to be amazing. it's full of young students and people. i think the community is what is swaying me to NYU over anything else. Bottom line, i don't want law school to engulf my life, and if it does, I want to have an outlet, which I think the location of NYU provides. it provides an atmosphere where you can go elsewhere and fraternize with non-law school students (helps because a bunch of my undergrad friends are going to nyc). anyways that's what i got out of ASW, hope it helps

Weak. We were out until 6am the night before the second day's ASW and still made it by a reasonable 11:30am ;)

Plus the first day was relatively worthless and the second day was amazing imo.

I was wondering if y'all ever showed up for day 2 - didn't see any of ya

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Yeah. I kept looking. Saw you at the judge's panel but I came in a few minutes late and you were in that first row. Didn't see you after that.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:35 pm

haha... by that point I had just kinda figured that yall were too worn out from the previous night

portena

Postby portena » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:01 pm

I also went to the Bryan Stevenson talk, which was awesome, and I too showed up late on Day 2 with a massive hangover :lol:

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”