NYU ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
lsathalon

Re: NYU ASW

Postby lsathalon » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:20 pm

BenJ wrote:
forza wrote:I have to echo the poster who mentioned the 9th floor of Furman Hall... WOW.

--ImageRemoved--

Indeed, even for someone from the NY metro who has seen similar views before.

Are any of you the guy from Alabama who was practically running around the room looking out all of the windows?

haha no but I know exactly who you are talking about.

forza

Postby forza » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:12 pm

If the guy from Alabama running around the room looking out all the windows was a blonde guy in a yellow shirt/baby blue sweater & khakis, then yes. That was me.

First time in NYC - shameless tourist :lol:

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Awesome, I talked to you. I was the guy in the argyle sweater sitting behind you at the panel.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:00 pm

sikwitt wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Interesting. After it being that way in my first tour group, I thought it was just sampling, but then it was the same in the second tour group and again at my table at the faculty lunch. Weird coincidence, then. 40% is about what I would expect.

Im not sure about the ASW though I thought most people in my group had were not in UG, but I was told that average for NYU is 1/3 UG 2/3 not per class

The entering class profile for 2009 was:

# 28 percent enrolled directly after college
# 61 percent out of college one to four years
# 11 percent out of college five or more years

Hope this helps.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:43 pm

clintonius wrote:
BenJ wrote:I had an awesome time today and am looking forward to another awesome time tomorrow. Unfortunately, most people in my Greenwich Village tour group didn't like our tour guides spending most of their time telling us where to eat, shop and barhop, but I thought it was more useful than pointing out the various non-law school buildings. I mean, there's not much outdoor tour of the law school to give since it's only a few buildings.

Heh, I suspect you and I may have been on the same tour -- the one where the two guies pointed at the student union building from the corner, said, "that's the first stop on the tour," then proceeded around to the other side of the building and talked about communing with the spirit of Edgar Allen Poe? I think I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than I would've enjoyed seeing a bunch of places I'm not likely to spend any time. Bars are an important part of any good legal education.

Missed this one--we were definitely on the same tour unless multiple tour guides did the same thing. Did they also show you where the K-mart was? Some people snickered at that, but I thought it was really useful to know (although I've since totally forgotten other than "near Mercer").

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 am

I'm excited to visit NYU now

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 pm

BenJ wrote:
clintonius wrote:
BenJ wrote:I had an awesome time today and am looking forward to another awesome time tomorrow. Unfortunately, most people in my Greenwich Village tour group didn't like our tour guides spending most of their time telling us where to eat, shop and barhop, but I thought it was more useful than pointing out the various non-law school buildings. I mean, there's not much outdoor tour of the law school to give since it's only a few buildings.

Heh, I suspect you and I may have been on the same tour -- the one where the two guies pointed at the student union building from the corner, said, "that's the first stop on the tour," then proceeded around to the other side of the building and talked about communing with the spirit of Edgar Allen Poe? I think I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than I would've enjoyed seeing a bunch of places I'm not likely to spend any time. Bars are an important part of any good legal education.

Missed this one--we were definitely on the same tour unless multiple tour guides did the same thing. Did they also show you where the K-mart was? Some people snickered at that, but I thought it was really useful to know (although I've since totally forgotten other than "near Mercer").

I was on the same tour as well. Most people did complain, and while I agree that it was way too long for such a limited space, I did appreciate what was around there--especially the K-Mart and the Trader Joe's.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:43 pm

forza wrote:If the guy from Alabama running around the room looking out all the windows was a blonde guy in a yellow shirt/baby blue sweater & khakis, then yes. That was me.

First time in NYC - shameless tourist :lol:

Haha you were funny. I sat behind you at the panel too.

glowhard

Postby glowhard » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:10 pm

I totally echo the person who said Columbia wasn't an option anymore. NYU roughly matches them on most things (job placement, clerkships, etc), but the students seem happy and engaged instead of like they were slogging through three rough years. Also, the administration and professors I met seemed accessible in a real way. Columbia seemed polished and professional (which I like), but the name and presentation isn't nearly enough to make me want to go there. NYU, i hope i get some need-based aid or something, because you're now my top choice.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 am

scribelaw wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I was there.

I like NYU a lot.

After visiting CLS on Thursday and NYU today, I'm still divided. They are very different experiences, but I see merits to both.

Totally agree on the NYU students. The few I chatted with seemed very cool and down to earth.

I am interested in this. How would you say the experiences are different?

I liked Columbia more than I thought I would. The campus is really nice. There's a big area where steps lead up to the main Columbia U. library, and a lot of green spaces. It's really pretty.

The law buildings were nice, although the CLS library isn't great.

Morningside Heights gets a bad rap, but I thought the neighborhood had a great vibe. There's maybe a 10 minute walk between one of the law apartment buildings -- Lensfest -- and the law school, and there were cafes, fruit stands, etc. on the way. The area had a ton of students everywhere.

Also, Columbia seemed a little bit older than NYU -- a lot seemed to be maybe mid to upper 20s. I'm sure this was largely the result of NYU being invaded by accepted students, many of whom are still seniors in college, versus having the full three-year spectrum of CLS students.

I also really liked NYU. Greenwich Village is awesome. Within a block of the law buildings, I had a great cappucino for $3, an awesome slice of pizza and a beer with my uncle. Great people watching. I also skipped one of the events and walked down to Soho, which is a 10 minute walk and has awesome shopping.

NYU's library was really, really nice, I thought. It's the nicest I've seen aside from HLS.

NYU doesn't really have a campus. They own buildings randomly through the village. You would never know which ones are NYU buildings if they didn't hang purple signs on them.

Every student I talked to at NYU was great -- friendly, helpful, they seemed happy and unpretentious. I was very impressed.

After visiting both, I honestly don't even know which one I like better. NYU is in a much better location, it feels like its part of the city, and has an edge in clinics and PI programs. Columbia has a more campus feel, a little quieter neighborhood, and a slight edge in clerkships and elite firm placement.

Yeah, I've only ever seen Columbia in the winter, so I tend to picture it as a barren wasteland. (Seriously, in the winter, that whole quad area is pretty grim.) I bet it's pretty in the summer, though. I agree about the neighborhood - I always :roll: when people talk about it being a bad area. If by "near Harlem" they mean "you have to scale a freaking cliff to get anywhere close to Harlem" (worst park ever), then yeah... it's right up on Harlem. Other than age, would you say there was any difference in the student body?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Yeah, I've only ever seen Columbia in the winter, so I tend to picture it as a barren wasteland. (Seriously, in the winter, that whole quad area is pretty grim.)

To be fair, the Village and pretty much all of Manhattan is a freezing wind tunnel in winter. But come to NYU and I know where I can get you a possum scarf to keep toasty (god I hope somebody here understands that).

cahesu

Postby cahesu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:18 pm

clintonius wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Yeah, I've only ever seen Columbia in the winter, so I tend to picture it as a barren wasteland. (Seriously, in the winter, that whole quad area is pretty grim.)

To be fair, the Village and pretty much all of Manhattan is a freezing wind tunnel in winter. But come to NYU and I know where I can get you a possum scarf to keep toasty (god I hope somebody here understands that).

+1 lol

new zealanders ftw!

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:28 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:[Yeah, I've only ever seen Columbia in the winter, so I tend to picture it as a barren wasteland. (Seriously, in the winter, that whole quad area is pretty grim.) I bet it's pretty in the summer, though. I agree about the neighborhood - I always :roll: when people talk about it being a bad area. If by "near Harlem" they mean "you have to scale a freaking cliff to get anywhere close to Harlem" (worst park ever), then yeah... it's right up on Harlem. Other than age, would you say there was any difference in the student body?

I don't really have a basis for comparison beyond just observation. I really liked all the students I met at NYU, but didn't get to talk to many at CLS.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:42 am

I'm ready for this ASW!!!

kinch

Postby kinch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 am

Illijah wrote:I'm ready for this ASW!!!

^Lucky, weather in NYC this week is fantastic.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 pm

no one else is excited about this ASW?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Illijah wrote:no one else is excited about this ASW?

<< This guy here is too excited.

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:36 pm

I'll be there! i kinda hope it blows me away completely or i hate it. my decision is already seemingly impossible and adding a 3rd school to that mix might make me crazy.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 pm

I am hoping that it BLOWS me away and I am completed enwrapped into the NYU lifestyle and flow.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:06 pm

I just wanted to say that when I was sitting in that council room on the 9th floor of Furman, staring out at the view of the city, I felt like I was in the Justice League.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 pm

And to think, you could have been.

Also, everybody have a fantastic time this weekend! The weather is supposed to be lovely, which means it's probably going to be crap but you'll have fun anyways because it's goddamn NYU.

chi16

Postby chi16 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 am

Has anyone received the so-called confirmation e-mail we're supposed to print and bring? Or should I call admissions tomorrow? Also...for those of you who have already attended...what is the dress?

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 am

chi16 wrote:Has anyone received the so-called confirmation e-mail we're supposed to print and bring? Or should I call admissions tomorrow? Also...for those of you who have already attended...what is the dress?

You'll get the email later today at like 11:30 am. Dress is pretty much casual.
If for whatever reason you have to pick between the days go on Friday (Thursday is more informal while Friday is the real deal).
Have fun. :)

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 am

glowhard wrote:I totally echo the person who said Columbia wasn't an option anymore. NYU roughly matches them on most things (job placement, clerkships, etc), but the students seem happy and engaged instead of like they were slogging through three rough years. Also, the administration and professors I met seemed accessible in a real way. Columbia seemed polished and professional (which I like), but the name and presentation isn't nearly enough to make me want to go there. NYU, i hope i get some need-based aid or something, because you're now my top choice.

Totally disagree about the administration. I actually showed up before the event formally started so that I wouldn't be misled by the sudden influx of admitted students and the "showmanship" we all know the schools put on for these events. I thought they were moody and unhelpful excluding a few people from the admissions office. Moreover, most of the students I talked to (outside of the ASW events) told me flat out that the administration is horrible.

That being said, I still liked the environment/facilities/professors/availability of cheap food and its made my choice between CLS and NYU pretty tough.

Some notes on CLS: I was definitely not expecting the neighborhood to be so pleasant (having never been to NYC before two weeks ago I too was influenced by the claim that CLS was "on the edge" of Harlem). If you can get past the fact that the main building (and consequently the library) is ugly, it's not that bad. I enjoyed the classrooms better at CLS than at NYU, and, from what I read, CLS's library is 2nd in the nation for # of volumes (it's about content not aesthetics people!) If you want aesthetics, go to the old law library (now the East Asian library). I also noticed that between classes (and in the halls during classes) CLS had a lot more interaction going on among students. NYU on the other hand was pretty much dead for those of you that didn't immediately rush to sit-in on a class.

Anybody else visit both that has anything useful to add?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:I also noticed that between classes (and in the halls during classes) CLS had a lot more interaction going on among students. NYU on the other hand was pretty much dead for those of you that didn't immediately rush to sit-in on a class.

Can you expound upon this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”