Ohio State ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
MSUPHL

Bronze

Re: Ohio State ASW

Post by MSUPHL » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 pm

dont know the names, but we got dropped off near like the center of the bar area on campus/mainstream area next to that big irish bar and stuff. Started at a hardcore metal bar and then walked a few blocks towards a more cultural area went to a former gay bar that was packed and finished the night at Basil.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

MSUPHL wrote:dont know the names, but we got dropped off near like the center of the bar area on campus/mainstream area next to that big irish bar and stuff. Started at a hardcore metal bar and then walked a few blocks towards a more cultural area went to a former gay bar that was packed and finished the night at Basil.
it sounds like you guys started at mcfaddens, the irish bar, then went down towards the short north, there are a lot of gay bars there, and i'm sure former gay bars too. I don't know of any former gay bars on campus

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm sooo sad that I missed everyone!!!! I tried to find you all :(. Long blonde hair from MSU, the professor whose daughter is going there next year called me out during the faculty panel (actually he stalked me throughout the weekend, which was fine I love doting on MSU). I sat in the second row during "mock class." shoulder length blonde hair, glasses (on the second day).

Here is my take:
*I really liked the faculty and staff, but I felt that some of the student body was more concerned with having a good time and hanging out with the bros a bit more than I expected for law school. Of course this was probably a self selecting sample during some of the events.
*The quality of acceptances and talent in the incoming class is really amazing. Most people I met were committed. When I told them I wasn't, they were shocked. The girl I sat next to is turning down USC for OSU (and we had the same scholarship so I felt pretty cool lol).
*Damn, COL is a bit more than I was expecting. Of course Southgate was way out of reach for me...
* A lot of OSU undergrads which says a lot about the quality of life here.
*I'm not so convinced about their ease of gaining employment speal outside of OH.
*Great study aborad and DC program.

As it goes right now, I will def. ride out the wait lists I'm on then probably still go out to Iowa, but OSU is still in the picture due to its affordability. I just don't know if I want the whole undergrad party scene and bar scene right in my back yard again :(

sandiecohen47

Bronze

Post by sandiecohen47 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Haha, Robin600! I definitely now know who you are. And I definitely met a Walter, an Andrew and an Eric. :-)

I had a great time and was really impressed with Simmons and the other professors. I didn't realize how much of a crim law powerhouse OSU is. I also loved speaking with the current and prospective students. Everyone seemed really down-to-earth and intelligent, which is the perfect combination.

I'm really just waiting on scholly information and visits to other places. I am a little nervous about placement out of OH but was really impressed that only about 1-2% of the class of 2009 still lack jobs. The fact that 215 of 216 students in the class of 2008 reported their job outcomes is a good sign... and demonstrates that Moritz isn't trying to hide too much. Great weekend.

sandiecohen47

Bronze

Post by sandiecohen47 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 pm

*Damn, COL is a bit more than I was expecting. Of course Southgate was way out of reach for me... :([/quote]

Good point. But I think the other options are a lot cheaper and still pretty convenient. They tried to sell us hard on those apartments but I think you can get much more bang for your buck closeby.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:Good point. But I think the other options are a lot cheaper and still pretty convenient. They tried to sell us hard on those apartments but I think you can get much more bang for your buck closeby.
Yeah, I went to an open house back in October and they were all about those South Campus Gateway apts. I'm thinking they must get a referral bonus for every law student that moves in there. Not kidding. And yes, you can get way more bang for your buck in Columbus.
sandiecohen47 wrote:Haha, Robin600! I definitely now know who you are. And I definitely met a Walter, an Andrew and an Eric. :-)
Que matching first names to profiles in the moritz fb group.
I didn't realize how much of a crim law powerhouse OSU is.
I was thinking about this too. Specifically, I was thinking about how bummed I'd be if I didn't get to take Dressler for crim.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:26 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:Haha, Robin600! I definitely now know who you are. And I definitely met a Walter, an Andrew and an Eric. :-)

I had a great time and was really impressed with Simmons and the other professors. I didn't realize how much of a crim law powerhouse OSU is. I also loved speaking with the current and prospective students. Everyone seemed really down-to-earth and intelligent, which is the perfect combination.

I'm really just waiting on scholly information and visits to other places. I am a little nervous about placement out of OH but was really impressed that only about 1-2% of the class of 2009 still lack jobs. The fact that 215 of 216 students in the class of 2008 reported their job outcomes is a good sign... and demonstrates that Moritz isn't trying to hide too much. Great weekend.
I think dat i know who u r too :)

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 am

robin600 wrote:I'm sooo sad that I missed everyone!!!! I tried to find you all :(. Long blonde hair from MSU, the professor whose daughter is going there next year called me out during the faculty panel (actually he stalked me throughout the weekend, which was fine I love doting on MSU). I sat in the second row during "mock class." shoulder length blonde hair, glasses (on the second day).
haha I remember the professor calling you out for the MSU thing!

and can someone post the fb group link here?

@sandicohen: I am sure I met you too.

We should all have put our TLS screen names under our real names on our name tags haha

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 am

Wish it was April 16/17 already, sounds like you guys had a blast
Last edited by crm on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:28 am

sarlis wrote:
robin600 wrote:I'm sooo sad that I missed everyone!!!! I tried to find you all :(. Long blonde hair from MSU, the professor whose daughter is going there next year called me out during the faculty panel (actually he stalked me throughout the weekend, which was fine I love doting on MSU). I sat in the second row during "mock class." shoulder length blonde hair, glasses (on the second day).

We should all have put our TLS screen names under our real names on our name tags haha
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 496&ref=ts

It's also in the Class of 2013 forum.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:49 am

I joined even though I'm still not sure, I guess you'll have to do some convincing. Oh PS- in my FB picture I'm the beerwench in the middle for those of you checking...

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:26 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
sarlis wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 496&ref=ts

It's also in the Class of 2013 forum.
Just joined the group!

though still not 100% sure... more like 85% haha

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:00 am

Def. sounds like you guys had a blast at the ASW. Wish it were possible for me to go to those.

I'm still torn between OSU and Iowa--especially after hearing you guys say how much of a criminal law powerhouse OSU apparently is.

Ugh, law school decisions!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:58 am

thepcv wrote:Def. sounds like you guys had a blast at the ASW. Wish it were possible for me to go to those.

I'm still torn between OSU and Iowa--especially after hearing you guys say how much of a criminal law powerhouse OSU apparently is.

If you like crim law check out the bios on the faculty edited journal of criminal law at ohio state

[urlhttp://moritzlaw.osu.edu/osjcl/faculty/index.php][/url]

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 pm

I just received the acceptance email yesterday. Sounds like everyone had so much fun! Who's coming in April? Should we start a meet up thread too? haha

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 pm

I'll be at the April ASW

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:12 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:I'll be at the April ASW
Can I go again?
lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am

baboon309 wrote:
Can I go again?
lol
+1, haha.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:06 am

I'll be there for the April 16-17 ASW. Pumped.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:07 am

baboon309 wrote:
Can I go again?
lol
how committed are you, man?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 am

thepcv wrote:Def. sounds like you guys had a blast at the ASW. Wish it were possible for me to go to those.

Same boat as you, but I'm hardcore leaning towards Iowa. It's going to be really hard to give up that 12K a year tho :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm

sarlis wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
Can I go again?
lol
I'll make my decision in 2 weeks. It`s very likely that I ll go to OSU. wut about u?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm

baboon309 wrote:
sarlis wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
Can I go again?
lol
I'll make my decision in 2 weeks. It`s very likely that I ll go to OSU. wut about u?
I am giving myself a similar time frame... and OSU appears very likely

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 am

yea i saw you obv when we talked about msu when we introduced ourselves. Didnt get a chance to say hi though. Where did you go Saturday night?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
yea i saw you obv when we talked about msu when we introduced ourselves. Didnt get a chance to say hi though. Where did you go Saturday night?
I didn't go out Saturday night because my plane left for San Francisco (spring break) late sunday night so I had to wake up at 3 to drive home, pack, drive to the airport and go. I didn't think going out was going to be a good idea, although it was very tempting. I'm sorry I missed you all :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”