DePaul Admitted Students Day

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
SmittenMitten

Re: DePaul Admitted Students Day

Postby SmittenMitten » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:44 am

eeek! I wish I could've made it. Money-wise I just wasn't able to this weekend. Maybe the next one...could anybody give me a run-down of how it went? How many people were there? How did the faculty seem?

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

tdubsWI wrote:Haha is our whole group on here?? :lol:

I really enjoyed just about everything from the visit. My favorite part (besides chatting with all of you) was the mock class. It made me a lot more confident that law school was something that was going to keep me engaged. No complaints about the food or free coffee mug either. I know that lunch buffet was your favorite part ChicagoLaw :)

DePaul definitely feels like a good fit and I wouldn't mind living in Chicago. I just have to figure out this Wisconsin factor...

In other news, a few shoutouts are in order:
1. To the guy wearing a suit
2. To the guy taking notes in the mock class
3. To the girl that was there with her daddy and complained "Why are we waiting in line for this lunch? I don't eat bread or cheese. Or meat."

+1 on calling me out for going to town on the chicken wings. Come on, you love the fact that I used my folder of info as a makeshift tray. Seriously, bigger plates were definitely in order hahaha.

Also, I totally thought I was the only person that heard the "I don't eat bread or cheese. Or meat." comment...I about died. I wanted to ask her "Well, what DO you eat then?" just out of sheer curiosity.

nit00

Postby nit00 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:36 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Hey! Is this PhD? I enjoyed the ASD, I already have decided on DePaul, so it was more of a "what should I expect" day than anything.

Yep, that's me. I was happy to see the facilities weren't as bad as people make them out to be on this site. The class was good too, I was glad to get some insight into how law school classes are. Right now it's pretty much between DePaul and one other school for me. I am thinking I should have my decision made by the end of this month. Chicago was awesome, it made me miss living in a real city.

nitr0x99

Postby nitr0x99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:13 pm

tdubsWI wrote:Haha is our whole group on here?? :lol:

I really enjoyed just about everything from the visit. My favorite part (besides chatting with all of you) was the mock class. It made me a lot more confident that law school was something that was going to keep me engaged. No complaints about the food or free coffee mug either. I know that lunch buffet was your favorite part ChicagoLaw :)

DePaul definitely feels like a good fit and I wouldn't mind living in Chicago. I just have to figure out this Wisconsin factor...

In other news, a few shoutouts are in order:
1. To the guy wearing a suit
2. To the guy taking notes in the mock class
3. To the girl that was there with her daddy and complained "Why are we waiting in line for this lunch? I don't eat bread or cheese. Or meat."

LOL

The guy wearing the suit was in my tour group. I think he expected the ASD to be a bit more formal. He was a really cool/nice guy though. Its always better to be overdressed than underdressed I guess

nitr0x99

Postby nitr0x99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:20 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:eeek! I wish I could've made it. Money-wise I just wasn't able to this weekend. Maybe the next one...could anybody give me a run-down of how it went? How many people were there? How did the faculty seem?

Heres an outline

1.) Tours - I heard DePaul was run down and facilities weren't great so I wasn't expecting much. I was actually pleasently surprised by the building. It wasn't state of the art like Kent, but it was nice enough IMO.

2.) Speeches from the Dean and Dean of Admissions. I was kinda dissapointed by these speeches because I think they weren't as good as they could have been but thats not a big deal. I thought it was cool how the Dean of Admissions graduated from DePaul and worked in BIGLAW at Sidely and met Michelle Obama.

3.) Student panel - Interesting and nice to get different viewpoints. Honestly, I feel like the average poster on this forum already knows more about law school(in terms of employment) than most law school students.

4.) Mock Class- pretty fun, but from what I'm hearing the DUI class was more fun than the murder class (the one I was in)

5.) Food

Overall I think it was good and pretty fun. I was a little dissapointed at the fact that so many law school students seem clueless about the true employment prospects and how difficult things are now. I am grateful that I found forums like TLS, jdunderground, xoxo, etc. The girl giving me the tour tried to tell me that DePaul was ranked higher than Northwestern LMAO. I didn't have the heart to call her out in front of everyone though so I kept quiet.

Whatever though, all that means is I will work harder than everyone because I realize the importance of being in the top of the class. :evil: <--thats me next year gunning and not sharing my notes with any of you (lol jk)

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:25 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:eeek! I wish I could've made it. Money-wise I just wasn't able to this weekend. Maybe the next one...could anybody give me a run-down of how it went? How many people were there? How did the faculty seem?

Heres an outline

1.) Tours - I heard DePaul was run down and facilities weren't great so I wasn't expecting much. I was actually pleasently surprised by the building. It wasn't state of the art like Kent, but it was nice enough IMO.

2.) Speeches from the Dean and Dean of Admissions. I was kinda dissapointed by these speeches because I think they weren't as good as they could have been but thats not a big deal. I thought it was cool how the Dean of Admissions graduated from DePaul and worked in BIGLAW at Sidely and met Michelle Obama.

3.) Student panel - Interesting and nice to get different viewpoints. Honestly, I feel like the average poster on this forum already knows more about law school(in terms of employment) than most law school students.

4.) Mock Class- pretty fun, but from what I'm hearing the DUI class was more fun than the murder class (the one I was in)

5.) Food

Overall I think it was good and pretty fun. I was a little dissapointed at the fact that so many law school students seem clueless about the true employment prospects and how difficult things are now. I am grateful that I found forums like TLS, jdunderground, xoxo, etc. The girl giving me the tour tried to tell me that DePaul was ranked higher than Northwestern LMAO. I didn't have the heart to call her out in front of everyone though so I kept quiet.

Whatever though, all that means is I will work harder than everyone because I realize the importance of being in the top of the class. :evil: <--thats me next year gunning and not sharing my notes with any of you (lol jk)

LOL at the gunner comment. And what you heard is correct - DUI class was quite entertaining. Heard murder class was B-to the-ORING.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 pm

I also went to DUI on a Horse, but I was so burned out from the morning by then, I kind of zoned out a bit. Thought the prof. seemed pretty good. The funny thing is, the way it was taught was a HUGE callback to the paralegal class I took, which I thought would end up being mostly irrelevant in terms of Law School (and it still may be -- I'm guessing he wanted to keep it way simple for us 0L's).

The clueless-ness on employment prospects was probably the biggest turn-off about the school. I would have expected law students to know a bit more about their situations and my panel seemed particularly clueless on this front. Also, one other turn-off was how poorly put together some of the students looked (I'm talking about the current students, not the prospectives). There are ways to look a little more professional, even if in the required polos, not to mention it's a sales job. For reference, I went to a USC ASD several years ago with my sister and the difference in how the students presented themselvers was night and day.

BTW, I did see a large group talking at one point (sitting in chairs in the lounge), and I'm guessing that was the TLS crew :).

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

keg411 wrote:I also went to DUI on a Horse, but I was so burned out from the morning by then, I kind of zoned out a bit. Thought the prof. seemed pretty good. The funny thing is, the way it was taught was a HUGE callback to the paralegal class I took, which I thought would end up being mostly irrelevant in terms of Law School (and it still may be -- I'm guessing he wanted to keep it way simple for us 0L's).

The clueless-ness on employment prospects was probably the biggest turn-off about the school. I would have expected law students to know a bit more about their situations and my panel seemed particularly clueless on this front. Also, one other turn-off was how poorly put together some of the students looked (I'm talking about the current students, not the prospectives). There are ways to look a little more professional, even if in the required polos, not to mention it's a sales job. For reference, I went to a USC ASD several years ago with my sister and the difference in how the students presented themselvers was night and day.

BTW, I did see a large group talking at one point (sitting in chairs in the lounge), and I'm guessing that was the TLS crew :).

Group in the lounge was probably us hahaha. Yeah the DUI class was definitely higher-level, I think because he was so constricted on time that he had to keep it that way and not get into the fine details. I felt that he was very energetic, though, and not so stiff...I just have this vision of professors being really stiff and self-involved, and he was the complete opposite.

They are definitely laid back in comparison to other schools, but I have to say, I felt more welcome there than at any other law school I've seen...they seem friendly and genuine...I mean, I went to see Loyola 2 weeks after I was admitted and they made me feel like I was interrupting their day....so DePaul has won me over in comparison (I was down to those two for a while).

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”