Brown Shoes

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Cupidity

Re: Brown Shoes

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:59 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
Cupidity wrote:How much are you looking to spend?

I ask because I was in the same situation and found the perfect pair of shoes.

Charcol colored Cole Haans. I got them for 48$, problem is they are 250$ shoes.

Cole Haan does offer some cool deals. Over the Christmas break I bought a pair of black Cole Haan Oxfords for $80. They were marked all the way down. When my classmates ask me to recommend an affordable, stylish brand, I always direct them to Cole Haan.

$235 on 60% off clearance, and I had my friend who worked for Converse buy them for me, both Nike Corp., So 50% off the 60%.

I felt like I stole them.

wordword

Postby wordword » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:15 am

i'm looking to be as cheap as possible, so like $100 i suppose. i think i'll just go and buy whatever black oxfords i can find for 1 bean and call it a day.

thank good i'll be able to wear running shoes, kakhis and T-shirt/Polo to LS. Dressing like a professional is not something i am prepared to do. i could not imagine dropping like 1K+ on clothes. i would feel dirty.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 am

wordword wrote:i'm looking to be as cheap as possible, so like $100 i suppose. i think i'll just go and buy whatever black oxfords i can find for 1 bean and call it a day.

thank good i'll be able to wear running shoes, kakhis and T-shirt/Polo to LS. Dressing like a professional is not something i am prepared to do. i could not imagine dropping like 1K+ on clothes. i would feel dirty.

I bought those shoes for job interviews, buddy. Some people wear dress shoes and khakis to law school. But I'm not one of them. I like to be comfortable, so I wear jeans and sneakers most of the time.
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Perry

Postby Steven Perry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:04 am

biv0ns wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:Does anyone know if double vents on the back of suit jackets are acceptable for interviews (and law in general), or are they a bit too trendy?

They are acceptable.

And GQ is not how anyone going into law should aspire to dress. we've been over that many times as well.

GQ, while not the Bible on fashion, can teach even a fashion-challenged individual the dynamics of the art form. We all have different body shapes, and it helps to know how to dress in order to not accent any abnormalities. For instance, I'm very short, therefore there are certain techniques I can use to make myself seem taller. Pinstripes, more form fitting clothing, various tie patterns, ect, will take the focus off of height and make my body appear more normal. Dressing to impress is much more complex than one would imagine. The magazine isn't just a large Dolce & Gabanna add; there are some generally timeless fashion techniques they cover that any man should master. I've personally found that magazine to be quite helpful in building a good base of fashion knowledge. Where you decide to go from there is all up to personal preference.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 am

Steven Perry wrote:
biv0ns wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:Does anyone know if double vents on the back of suit jackets are acceptable for interviews (and law in general), or are they a bit too trendy?

They are acceptable.

And GQ is not how anyone going into law should aspire to dress. we've been over that many times as well.

GQ, while not the Bible on fashion, can teach even a fashion-challenged individual the dynamics of the art form. We all have different body shapes, and it helps to know how to dress in order to not accent any abnormalities. For instance, I'm very short, therefore there are certain techniques I can use to make myself seem taller. Pinstripes, more form fitting clothing, various tie patterns, ect, will take the focus off of height and make my body appear more normal. Dressing to impress is much more complex than one would imagine. The magazine isn't just a large Dolce & Gabanna add; there are some generally timeless fashion techniques they cover that any man should master. I've personally found that magazine to be quite helpful in building a good base of fashion knowledge. Where you decide to go from there is all up to personal preference.

+ 1

Also, not all law firms favor boring conservative dress. Ever heard of Bickel & Brewer, biv0ns?
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:23 am

No I haven't, but I find it amusing that you think anything that's not GQ cover material is "boring and conservative"

obviously there's no middle ground

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:24 am

biv0ns wrote:No I haven't, but I find it amusing that you think anything that's not GQ cover material is "boring and conservative"

I find it amusing that, after all of these months, you still can't refrain from putting words in my mouth :).

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:27 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
biv0ns wrote:No I haven't, but I find it amusing that you think anything that's not GQ cover material is "boring and conservative"

I find it amusing that, after all of these months, you still can't refrain from putting words in my mouth :).

Yes I'm surprised you don't find the current trend against black suits racist

mugwump

Postby mugwump » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 am

wordword wrote:
mugwump wrote:Consider two pairs of relatively affordable well-made shoes (e.g. Ecco, Allen-Edmonds, Cole Haan): one, black, and the other, cordovan...they will last a long time with proper shining and care (invest in good quality shoe trees). Get two different styles, perhaps a cap-toe and an updated wing-tip. Of course, have matching belts. People will notice if you are wearing the same shoes and suit repeatedly...not good for the image.

how many suits could a 1L need?

On a side note, how many suits do practicing lawyers own? How many different suits do they wear in a week?

[<------------------------ Never wore a suit before.]

Two suits provide a good start...one, charcoal gray, and the other, navy (with or without pinstripe). Buy good quality shirts and ties (100% silk)...don't go button-down and keep track of your collar stays if you want your collar and tie to look sharp. Recommend hitting the outlets for the best deals...Off Fifth Avenue--Saks, Nordstroms Rack, Brooks Brothers...watch the sales and you can score a Hugo Boss or Armani suit for less than $500. Also, recommend you find a suit manufacturer who tailors to your body type...I'm too bulky to wear Hugo Boss, although Armani and Hickey Freeman fit nicely. Last suggestion...go to a good men's store (e.g. Brooks Brothers) or Nordstroms to get fitted for a suit...you don't need to buy but the salesman will give you a number of pointers on fit...particularly, sleeve length (especially important if you're short or tall), rise (how well the pants fit your seat...don't want your crotch too low or high), and break (how the pants hit the top of your shoes). Last hint...take your dress shoes with you when being fitted for a suit to ensure a proper inseam length.

Edit: Don't buy a black suit...unless you want to look Euro or like a mortician.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 am

biv0ns wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Perhaps the "i" in bivOns stands for IDIOT?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:04 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
biv0ns wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Perhaps the "i" in bivOns stands for IDIOT?

no more than the "ra" in OperaAttorney stands for racist or the "p" stands for pathetic

p_r

Postby p_r » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 am

biv0ns wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:
biv0ns wrote:

They are acceptable.

How is GQ different? I don't have a subscription, and the suits on their website looked pretty normal.

Skinny ties and over-tailored (euro-trash) attire is not the look of a professional.

Yes, the jacket must be two sizes too big, sleeves down to your knuckles, and pants must be baggy, preferably pleated. In fact, Europe, as a continent, just isn't professional. Just look at all those fancy Italian shoes--soft crap. Good shoes shoes make your feet bleed before you break them in.
Last edited by p_r on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:55 am

Choose your vents based on your body type. Go speak with a good tailor for ten minutes instead of gathering the collective wisdom of TLS posters, you'll be glad you did. XOXO HTH

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 am

p_r wrote:Yes, the jacket must be two sizes too big, sleeves down to your knuckles, and pants must be baggy, preferably pleated. In fact, Europe, as a continent, just isn't professional. Just look at all those fancy Italian shoes--soft crap. Good shoes shoes make your feet bleed before you break them in.

Snark/Wit/Assumption Fail

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:17 am

Ok...I'm tired of reading these uneducated assumptions about fashion.

#1. Rule of Fashion: Look Good
#2. Rule of Fashion: Look Good (it's like fight club)

Aren't sure if you look good? Find some asshole of the opposite sex to tell you.

p_r

Postby p_r » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:23 am

James Bond wrote:Snark/Wit/Assumption Fail

The comment would be much more effective if it were provided by a third party.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 am

p_r wrote:
James Bond wrote:Snark/Wit/Assumption Fail

The comment would be much more effective if it were provided by a third party.

Not really. I can easily tell that you weren't sarcastically amusing or witty AND that you made horrible and false assumptions about my point of view without being partial.

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:34 am

Brown shoes don't make it.

p_r

Postby p_r » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 am

James Bond wrote:Not really. I can easily tell that you weren't sarcastically amusing or witty

But that's just your opinion. I don't expect an objective criticism of my position from you.
James Bond wrote:AND that you made horrible and false assumptions about my point of view without being partial.

In that case, would you like to explain why my assumption was unreasonable?
Also, did you mean "impartial"?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 am

p_r wrote:
James Bond wrote:Not really. I can easily tell that you weren't sarcastically amusing or witty

But that's just your opinion. I don't expect an objective criticism of my position from you.
James Bond wrote:AND that you made horrible and false assumptions about my point of view without being partial.

par⋅tial
  /ˈpɑrʃəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pahr-shuhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. being such in part only; not total or general; incomplete: partial blindness; a partial payment of a debt.
2. biased or prejudiced in favor of a person, group, side, etc., over another, as in a controversy: a partial witness.
3. pertaining to or affecting a part.
4. being a part; component; constituent.
5. Botany. secondary or subordinate: a partial umbel.

And no, I really don't care. There is a middle ground between our father's suits of the 80's and 90's and what GQ presents. In that middle ground, filled with well but not over tailored suits and spread collars while still maintaining classy ties and colors, is where any man, especially a future lawyer, should aspire to dress.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

iamtaw wrote:in general I dislike the look of brown shoes with a black/charcoal suit. kind of a no-no. though aside from that they are pretty versitile. a nice pair of wingtips will work either formally or casually.

I tend to agree!

As a side note, I prefer Allen Edmonds for all of my dress shoes.

p_r

Postby p_r » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 am

James Bond wrote:
p_r wrote:

par⋅tial
  /ˈpɑrʃəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pahr-shuhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. being such in part only; not total or general; incomplete: partial blindness; a partial payment of a debt.
2. biased or prejudiced in favor of a person, group, side, etc., over another, as in a controversy: a partial witness.
3. pertaining to or affecting a part.
4. being a part; component; constituent.
5. Botany. secondary or subordinate: a partial umbel.

And no, I really don't care. There is a middle ground between our father's suits of the 80's and 90's and what GQ presents. In that middle ground, filled with well but not over tailored suits and spread collars while still maintaining classy ties and colors, is where any man, especially a future lawyer, should aspire to dress.

"Without being partial" means "impartial." If you would have said "without being impartial," it would mean "partial." I thought my original post was perfectly biased.
I do apologize for being a nit-picky bastard, though. It's been a long day.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:05 am

Brown shoes do not go with a black suit, PERIOD. They go with blue suits and brown suits. Don't wear brown shoes with a black suit, you will look like an idiot.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:09 pm

If you're truly lost, I would take a grand down to Brooks Brothers and tell them to put together an interview outfit for you. BB is less trendy than some places, so they won't have you looking like Russell Brand at the Grammy's. The one caveat I would offer is to stay away from their patterned dress shirts for your interview (hard to go wrong with solid white).

If you're really pressed for cash, take $400 to Men's Warehouse. Their tailoring sucks, but the salespeople are reasonably competent at assembling an outfit. Get the suit tailored somewhere else, and get a simple professional tie. Some of the MW ties look like they came from the hamper of a 1980's appliance salesman.

I would really advise spending the extra money if at all possible. You will look much better in the higher quality suit and shoes.

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Anyone looking for an informed answer to a mens fashion question would do well to take a look at the ask andy about clothes forums.

I'd go with Allen Edmonds seconds for quality shoes at a good price.
Alden or higher if money is less of a factor.

FWIW I just picked vintage florsheim imperial longwing wingtips in a brown pebble grain for thirty bucks on eBay. Good quality shoes do not have to be expensive. But I wouldn't touch any recent Cole haan or Johnston and Murphy.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”