Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
84Sunbird2000

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 pm

Yes, the weekend was awesome, even though I missed Friday night. The people were friendly, the campus is really pretty, and the law building is very shiny/marble/schmancy. The profs were pretty great, and the debate with Seidman (Of Georgetown) was stellar. The yacht cruise was a nice capper - like my prom night all over again, except in Newport Beach not on the Rock River.

That being said, I don't think I'll be attending. I was wowed by the school overall, but not wowed enough to take my chances with the Top 33% requirement. I mean, 3 of the 4 ambassadors that I met had lost their full scholarships after their first year. Maybe they can deal with that, but I don't want to be in a position to be taking on 140k in debt instead of 60k.

mjs92983

Postby mjs92983 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Yes, the weekend was awesome, even though I missed Friday night. The people were friendly, the campus is really pretty, and the law building is very shiny/marble/schmancy. The profs were pretty great, and the debate with Seidman (Of Georgetown) was stellar. The yacht cruise was a nice capper - like my prom night all over again, except in Newport Beach not on the Rock River.

That being said, I don't think I'll be attending. I was wowed by the school overall, but not wowed enough to take my chances with the Top 33% requirement. I mean, 3 of the 4 ambassadors that I met had lost their full scholarships after their first year. Maybe they can deal with that, but I don't want to be in a position to be taking on 140k in debt instead of 60k.

3 out of 4, who did you talk to? I was under the impression that 1 or two lost their full scholarship per year if any? And if they lost their full scholarship what are they doing as student ambassadors?

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Kuchulu wrote:
swiard wrote:3.6, 163...Full Tuition Scholarship

That's a sweet deal, CONGRATS!

what was your major in and what school did you go to for your undergrad? would you mind sharing what else really stood out on your resume.

I have a 3.81 from UCLA but only scoring between 156-160 on the LSAT. I actually live in OC and want to go to Chapman, so I am trying to figure out if I have a good shot of going there with either either 50% scholarship or full scholarship.

Why do you say you attended Berkeley in other posts?

twert

Postby twert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 am

mjs92983 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:Yes, the weekend was awesome, even though I missed Friday night. The people were friendly, the campus is really pretty, and the law building is very shiny/marble/schmancy. The profs were pretty great, and the debate with Seidman (Of Georgetown) was stellar. The yacht cruise was a nice capper - like my prom night all over again, except in Newport Beach not on the Rock River.

3 out of 4, who did you talk to? I was under the impression that 1 or two lost their full scholarship per year if any? And if they lost their full scholarship what are they doing as student ambassadors?

i was told about 65% keep their scholarships. i did talk to one person who had lost hers.

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:45 am

I just can't believe that three out of four figure... I'm a student ambassador and didn't realize any of the others had lost theirs (although I suppose they wouldn't really want to volunteer that). Also, keep in mind that student ambassadors aren't selected because of academics; it's more for social reasons and involvement in extracurricular organizations. If that 65% figure is true (this is the first time I've heard it), it must be for ALL scholarships, and generally 80-100% scholarship students are more likely to keep theirs over 50% scholarship students.

socalren

Postby socalren » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 pm

JOE! wrote:I just can't believe that three out of four figure... I'm a student ambassador and didn't realize any of the others had lost theirs (although I suppose they wouldn't really want to volunteer that). Also, keep in mind that student ambassadors aren't selected because of academics; it's more for social reasons and involvement in extracurricular organizations. If that 65% figure is true (this is the first time I've heard it), it must be for ALL scholarships, and generally 80-100% scholarship students are more likely to keep theirs over 50% scholarship students.

I didn't think about the fact that they probably included ALL scholarships in that number... that's a little more reassuring, if so.

I hope you are right! :)

swiard

Postby swiard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 pm

ya, hopefully thats the case. I'm starting to get a little worried. I also have a full scholarship to Southwestern for their SCALE program (2yr accelerated JD) and their g.p.a. requirement is only a 2.5

Unless by some miracle I get into UCLA or Loyola offers a ton of money, I will likely be choosing between these two schools and while the OC is nice and Chapman seems to be on the rise, one of the big draws is the scholarship. I don't want to have to worry about losing it and paying full price (or close to) for 2nd and 3rd year. I am not averse to hard work, but I also want to make the most responsible decision possible. While not positive, I think I would like to pursue some sort of government/public interest law. Because of this, graduating with the least amount of debt possible (while still attending a school I like) is of the utmost concern.

Any insights on this? What would any of you do in this situation?

Also, do you think Chapman would negotiate their g.p.a. requirement down to match Southwestern? I feel greedy and unthankful for asking, but if they could, that would make my decision much easier.

Help!

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 pm

What I normally tell people on this forum about Chapman's scholarship is that if a) you got a full or close to it scholarship, and b) you're the kind of personality that researches the crap out of stuff online and by going to events, you're already pretty likely to be fine keeping a 3.0. Besides, I'm sure you would all be extremely disappointed with below a 3.0 regardless of the scholarship.

swiard - I'm 99% sure the GPA requirement is non-negotiable as a policy.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 pm

No, I asked specifically about full scholarships with admissions, and they said 63% of full scholarship recipients retain them. Everyone who gets them was a good student in some way, so the fact that more than 1/3 lose them is a bit frightening.

swiard

Postby swiard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:07 pm

JOE,

thanks for the insight. I am hoping I won't be below a 3.0 (never have been in college, high school, or middle school) but I also know that law school is a whole other beast. 3.0 requirement is generous as is (as opposed to top third or quarter of class) so I am ecstatic with it, just don't wanna lose my full scholarship if I don't do as well as I would like. That being said, they aren't just going to give me the money, so I understand.

If you don't keep the 3.0, do they strip you of the scholarship completely? The info I have read online says that you can be reconsidered after your 2nd year if you lose a scholarship after your first, but I'm wondering if that means your scholarship gets reduced (relative to your class position) or if you are stuck paying sticker.

Sorry for being neurotic. Thanks in advance!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:13 pm

swiard wrote:JOE,

thanks for the insight. I am hoping I won't be below a 3.0 (never have been in college, high school, or middle school) but I also know that law school is a whole other beast. 3.0 requirement is generous as is (as opposed to top third or quarter of class) [/i]so I am ecstatic with it, just don't wanna lose my full scholarship if I don't do as well as I would like. That being said, they aren't just going to give me the money, so I understand.

If you don't keep the 3.0, do they strip you of the scholarship completely? The info I have read online says that you can be reconsidered after your 2nd year if you lose a scholarship after your first, but I'm wondering if that means your scholarship gets reduced (relative to your class position) or if you are stuck paying sticker.

Sorry for being neurotic. Thanks in advance!

3.0 at Chapman is top 33%. Their curve is set at a 2.8, but they told me that a 3.0 is top 33% of the class the way the curve is structured.

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:No, I asked specifically about full scholarships with admissions, and they said 63% of full scholarship recipients retain them. Everyone who gets them was a good student in some way, so the fact that more than 1/3 lose them is a bit frightening.

Huh... interesting. That surprises me, because most of my friends I met at scholars' weekend and none of the full scholarship students lost it [edit: that I'm aware of anyway]. But if that's what admissions told you, they certainly know better than I do.

swiard wrote:If you don't keep the 3.0, do they strip you of the scholarship completely? The info I have read online says that you can be reconsidered after your 2nd year if you lose a scholarship after your first, but I'm wondering if that means your scholarship gets reduced (relative to your class position) or if you are stuck paying sticker.

I believe they do take it away completely, and then if you're in the top 10% after your second year you can get it back... but I'm not completely sure on that.

swiard

Postby swiard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

wow. ok thank you for that info. I will be sure to take that into account. Hopefully my visit next week will help me feel better about whatever decision I make

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

JOE! wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:No, I asked specifically about full scholarships with admissions, and they said 63% of full scholarship recipients retain them. Everyone who gets them was a good student in some way, so the fact that more than 1/3 lose them is a bit frightening.

Huh... interesting. That surprises me, because most of my friends I met at scholars' weekend and none of the full scholarship students lost it [edit: that I'm aware of anyway]. But if that's what admissions told you, they certainly know better than I do.

swiard wrote:If you don't keep the 3.0, do they strip you of the scholarship completely? The info I have read online says that you can be reconsidered after your 2nd year if you lose a scholarship after your first, but I'm wondering if that means your scholarship gets reduced (relative to your class position) or if you are stuck paying sticker.

I believe they do take it away completely, and then if you're in the top 10% after your second year you can get it back... but I'm not completely sure on that.

You get 90% back if you are in the top 10%, and 100% if you are in the top 5%, at least that was what I was told by a student ambassador who had entered with nothing and ended up in the top 5%.

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Yeah, that 90% / 100% split sounds familiar.

To clarify, I just e-mailed the admissions office. It's 63% of TOTAL scholarships are retained, not 63% of full scholarships.

swiard

Postby swiard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:43 pm

thank you JOE and Sunbird for all the help on this topic

not sure if I feel better or worse now though :?

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Well, at least 63% of total scholarships is better than just full scholarships... so that's a good thing (relatively).

swiard

Postby swiard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:07 pm

very true. I plan on working hard no matter what though, so hopefully it won't matter. I just don't want to be overconfident in my abilities.

mjs92983

Postby mjs92983 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I had talked to admissions and was told that 1 or 2 of people with full scholarships lost them per year if any. Just study hard, it's not like you have to be top of your class to keep it.

mjs92983

Postby mjs92983 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:16 pm

swiard wrote:very true. I plan on working hard no matter what though, so hopefully it won't matter. I just don't want to be overconfident in my abilities.

Hey, I spoke to admissions and they said that you could hold JOE personally and fiscally responsible if you lost your scholarship. So no worries.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm

JOE! wrote:Well, at least 63% of total scholarships is better than just full scholarships... so that's a good thing (relatively).

absolute fail

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Haha, I was just thinking it was way too cordial in this thread... but really though, they give out so much in scholarships it only makes sense that a good number of people have to lose them. At least you can go in with your eyes open; I don't know if every school would even be willing to give out that information.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”