Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mjs92983
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby mjs92983 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:10 pm

erniesto wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:In addition to a full scholarship, I just got a letter from Chapman about an all expenses paid trip to campus that includes a cruise on a yacht. I mean, that's pretty serious.


Personally, I think this topic is a complete and utter failure up until this point:

NSFW

Now that you have been redeemed you may continue.



Jerk.

User avatar
MixedGirl2009
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:26 pm

twert wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:I think I'm putting my deposit down soon :)

what was the deciding factor? where else are you considering


Best offers are full ride at UNLV and 15k at SMU. However, I'm not that interested in biglaw and I want to practice in southern Cali. Money was the biggest factor as I already have debt from my masters/living abroad and at Chapman I could live with a relative nearby and not pay any tuition. In my case I think it's the best decision, I was really interested in the full ride at UNLV yet the housing costs are about 17k/year and there is the top 1/3 requirement for the scholarship. Eventhough it is a top 100 school it is nevertheless a regional school so it would be difficult to move back to CA after. I would be very content and grateful with a 60K job and moving up after, I'm not keen on making millions.

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby twert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:55 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
twert wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:I think I'm putting my deposit down soon :)

what was the deciding factor? where else are you considering


Best offers are full ride at UNLV and 15k at SMU. However, I'm not that interested in biglaw and I want to practice in southern Cali. Money was the biggest factor as I already have debt from my masters/living abroad and at Chapman I could live with a relative nearby and not pay any tuition. In my case I think it's the best decision, I was really interested in the full ride at UNLV yet the housing costs are about 17k/year and there is the top 1/3 requirement for the scholarship. Eventhough it is a top 100 school it is nevertheless a regional school so it would be difficult to move back to CA after. I would be very content and grateful with a 60K job and moving up after, I'm not keen on making millions.

sounds like you made a god choice. will you be at scholars weekend?

dcm81
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby dcm81 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 pm

You also don't need 25k to live in orange county/LA a year unless you want to pay 1300-1400 a month for your own place.[/quote]
i don't know what i want to do after law school, i want options. i'd like the option of a nice firm job, but also the flexibility of low debt.
have you chosen chapman?[/quote]

I actually practice law in Orange County and Los Angeles, and have met alums from most of the law schools in Southern CA, and some from Northern CA. Since I mainly do family and immigration, I mostly deal with lawyers from Chapman, Loyola, Southwestern, Whittier, Western. Brightest attorneys I've met? Definetly from Loyola and Chapman. Worst? Western. Since I'm fairly new to the practice of law, I like to render advice about law schools in Southern CA.

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby socalren » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 pm

For those who are attending the Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law, what do you plan on wearing?

I heard that people tend to "dress up" for the cruise?

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby twert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 pm

socalren wrote:For those who are attending the Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law, what do you plan on wearing?

I heard that people tend to "dress up" for the cruise?

interested in this as well. do i need to wear a suit?

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby twert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 pm

dcm81 wrote:You also don't need 25k to live in orange county/LA a year unless you want to pay 1300-1400 a month for your own place.

i don't know what i want to do after law school, i want options. i'd like the option of a nice firm job, but also the flexibility of low debt.
have you chosen chapman?[/quote]

I actually practice law in Orange County and Los Angeles, and have met alums from most of the law schools in Southern CA, and some from Northern CA. Since I mainly do family and immigration, I mostly deal with lawyers from Chapman, Loyola, Southwestern, Whittier, Western. Brightest attorneys I've met? Definetly from Loyola and Chapman. Worst? Western. Since I'm fairly new to the practice of law, I like to render advice about law schools in Southern CA.[/quote]
where did you go to school, if you don't mind saying?

dcm81
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby dcm81 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 am

BYU

JOE!
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby JOE! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 pm

twert wrote:
socalren wrote:For those who are attending the Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law, what do you plan on wearing?

I heard that people tend to "dress up" for the cruise?

interested in this as well. do i need to wear a suit?


I think when I went to Scholars' Weekend, it said on the itinerary thing they sent out in small print at the bottom. If it doesn't specify, I would default to business casual for most things (although you might want to wear a jacket for the cruise anyway, because it can get cold if you're on the outside).

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby socalren » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

JOE! wrote:
twert wrote:
socalren wrote:For those who are attending the Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law, what do you plan on wearing?

I heard that people tend to "dress up" for the cruise?

interested in this as well. do i need to wear a suit?


I think when I went to Scholars' Weekend, it said on the itinerary thing they sent out in small print at the bottom. If it doesn't specify, I would default to business casual for most things (although you might want to wear a jacket for the cruise anyway, because it can get cold if you're on the outside).


I got the email from them last night with the dress code: casual during Friday and and business casual Thursday night and Friday night. I don't think I'll be wearing a dress... umm brrr! But business casual is easy.

JOE!
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby JOE! » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Just realized that due to a misreading of an e-mail (my fault), I didn't RSVP to the cruise as a student ambassador... crap. Oh well, I'll be at some of the other events (bet you can guess my name if you want to say hi, haha).

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 am

Getting ready for the long, 3-part flight from ND to Orange County. OD on Dramamine to the rescue!!

User avatar
MixedGirl2009
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 am

twert wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:
twert wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:I think I'm putting my deposit down soon :)

what was the deciding factor? where else are you considering


Best offers are full ride at UNLV and 15k at SMU. However, I'm not that interested in biglaw and I want to practice in southern Cali. Money was the biggest factor as I already have debt from my masters/living abroad and at Chapman I could live with a relative nearby and not pay any tuition. In my case I think it's the best decision, I was really interested in the full ride at UNLV yet the housing costs are about 17k/year and there is the top 1/3 requirement for the scholarship. Eventhough it is a top 100 school it is nevertheless a regional school so it would be difficult to move back to CA after. I would be very content and grateful with a 60K job and moving up after, I'm not keen on making millions.

sounds like you made a god choice. will you be at scholars weekend?


I'm so sad that I can't make it!! Luxury treatment to persuade me although I've already decided lol I'm still overseas, will be back around July. Please share your experperiences everyone :)

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 am

SUCK! I'll be missing the evening tonight because I'm stranded in Minneapolis due to weather/airline incompetence (long story). I woke up at 3:30 AM, left at 4 AM to drive an hour to the airport. Plane left late (scheduled for 6:00 departure), then stopped to pick up more passengers at another airport, then in through strong turbulence to Minneapolis too late to make the connecting flight. Now I wait until 5 pm, and fly to Denver. I then go from Denver to Orange County and finally get in at 10:30 Pacific. This means I will have been driving to, flying from, or at an airport for a total of 21.5 hours when all is said and done. KILLSELF!

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby socalren » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:SUCK! I'll be missing the evening tonight because I'm stranded in Minneapolis due to weather/airline incompetence (long story). I woke up at 3:30 AM, left at 4 AM to drive an hour to the airport. Plane left late (scheduled for 6:00 departure), then stopped to pick up more passengers at another airport, then in through strong turbulence to Minneapolis too late to make the connecting flight. Now I wait until 5 pm, and fly to Denver. I then go from Denver to Orange County and finally get in at 10:30 Pacific. This means I will have been driving to, flying from, or at an airport for a total of 21.5 hours when all is said and done. KILLSELF!


Lo Siento! Maybe they will doggie bag your dinner? See you Friday?

User avatar
swiard
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 am

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby swiard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 pm

So I was unable to come this weekend (quarter system=Finals this week, couldn't miss class). How was it? Did it help any of you make your decision? were you impressed? Did you like the campus? Anything in particular stick out? Sorry for bombarding this thread with questions, Chapman is just high on my list. I plan to visit next week when I come home to SoCal for spring break, so hopefully my visit will help me make a decision

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby socalren » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:12 pm

swiard wrote:So I was unable to come this weekend (quarter system=Finals this week, couldn't miss class). How was it? Did it help any of you make your decision? were you impressed? Did you like the campus? Anything in particular stick out? Sorry for bombarding this thread with questions, Chapman is just high on my list. I plan to visit next week when I come home to SoCal for spring break, so hopefully my visit will help me make a decision

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Not gonna lie, it was a great time. They have an amazing culture going amongst the students and faculty. The Campus was great and I'm thinking I'm a part of Champan Class of 2013 at this point. 8)

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby twert » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm

socalren wrote:
swiard wrote:So I was unable to come this weekend (quarter system=Finals this week, couldn't miss class). How was it? Did it help any of you make your decision? were you impressed? Did you like the campus? Anything in particular stick out? Sorry for bombarding this thread with questions, Chapman is just high on my list. I plan to visit next week when I come home to SoCal for spring break, so hopefully my visit will help me make a decision

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Not gonna lie, it was a great time. They have an amazing culture going amongst the students and faculty. The Campus was great and I'm thinking I'm a part of Champan Class of 2013 at this point. 8)

yeah, i'd say the culture among the students and faculty was really great. there is a great energy and a very positive spirit at Chapman. i'll be at chapman in the fall for sure.

User avatar
swiard
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 am

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby swiard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 pm

grrr :x

I wish i could have been there. I like yachts and free food!!! Hopefully I'll have a good experience when I visit next week.

JOE!
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby JOE! » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Glad to hear it had a positive impact on people - although I don't think free food, booze, hotel room, and cruise can really have a negative impact, haha. It was cool meeting the two of you from this board that I got to meet too!

Kuchulu
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:44 am

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby Kuchulu » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 pm

For those of you who got scholarships from Chapman, what's your LSAT score and GPA pretty plz?

User avatar
swiard
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 am

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby swiard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:39 pm

3.6, 163...Full Tuition Scholarship

Kuchulu
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:44 am

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby Kuchulu » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 pm

swiard wrote:3.6, 163...Full Tuition Scholarship


That's a sweet deal, CONGRATS!

what was your major in and what school did you go to for your undergrad? would you mind sharing what else really stood out on your resume.

I have a 3.81 from UCLA but only scoring between 156-160 on the LSAT. I actually live in OC and want to go to Chapman, so I am trying to figure out if I have a good shot of going there with either either 50% scholarship or full scholarship.

User avatar
MixedGirl2009
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Im glad to hear about your positive experiences! I also just put my deposit down, I think if we maintain good grades and really make the most out of Chapman in terms of extracurricular activities, etc, we should stand out and not have a terrible time finding a job. Worse comes to worse we will have to work ourselves up, but nothing I'm not used to so I'm ok with it!

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Scholars Weekend at Chapman Law

Postby socalren » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Kuchulu wrote:
swiard wrote:3.6, 163...Full Tuition Scholarship


That's a sweet deal, CONGRATS!

what was your major in and what school did you go to for your undergrad? would you mind sharing what else really stood out on your resume.

I have a 3.81 from UCLA but only scoring between 156-160 on the LSAT. I actually live in OC and want to go to Chapman, so I am trying to figure out if I have a good shot of going there with either either 50% scholarship or full scholarship.

I have a 3.86 and 161, I'm a full tuition scholar. When I was practicing the LSAT I was scoring between 157-159 so I was stoked with my real test results. Best of Luck to you! Sounds like you're on the right track :)




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests