Obama State Of the Union Speech Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bigmnstyle

Bronze

Obama State Of the Union Speech

Post by bigmnstyle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Hey guys, just wondering what everyone thought about Obama's "we are going to try to help with education expense" line.
He said that if you go into public interest for 5 years 90 percent of your student loans will be forgiven. 100 percent at 10 years. Obviously this hasn't passed yet and it would have to come soon as some of us have started-- or are starting law school here pretty quickly. Just wondering about everyone's opinion and whether you think this will actually go through.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Re: Obama State Of the Union Speech

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 am

I believe Obama stated one would be forgiven of all student debt after a period of 20 years provided they made normal monthly loan payments equal to ten percent of their salary. If that individual committed themselves to a career in the public interest, that debt would be eliminated after 10 years. Furthermore, this program is already in place and available. Simply, google IBR.

It is the reason I have decided to go to law school as it offers a fiscal safety net in the event I choose to go to school at sticker or pursue a career in the public interest.

Not sure where you got your figures...perhaps a Reading Comprehension fail?

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Obama proposed a new plan, google his state of the union "education".

GWdawg

New

Post by GWdawg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:04 pm

It probably won't get passed, and if it does, the banks and colleges will find a way to make sure they get their money. Whether it's higher interest rates or flat out denials if they think you won't pay them back, they will find a way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”