Columbia ASW March 3-4!

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
babaghanouj

Re: Columbia ASW March 3-4!

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm getting in on the 2nd, catching the second part of nyu's asw on the 5th, & leaving the 6th. Unbelievably excited.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

maggiebre wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
CanadianEH wrote:For those wondering, there are still students able to host people at their place - I just got in contact with one and have somewhere to stay for ASW.

Are you all planning on coming in on the 3rd? or will some of you guys be in town early on the second?

I'm thinking of getting in the night before. Pre-party imo

I'll be getting in on the 3rd, but I'm only 2 hours away (in Philly). Are you guys leaving on the 4th, or staying til the 5th?

Friend is a 1L at CLS, I'll probably go out the night of the 4th and fly out the 5th sometime.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

I just got in yesterday, and I am going to this one. Already in contact with 2 potential student hosts. I was just telling someone yesterday that I wanted to go to the NYU ASW on the 4th and 5th but might wait because I was still waiting to hear from Columbia, then I got the vomit-colored envelope in the mail yesterday.

Is anyone else from the DC area going?

irie

Postby irie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 am

ill be there on the 3rd all day, but not the 4th... my mexico vacation got delayed because of a snowstorm and rebooked for the 4th :(

I might go for the second day of ASW in early April though. see you all there! I just really want my t-shirt tbh...

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 am

I'm arriving on the 2nd. Pre-party ftw.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

I'll be there... flying in around 11 on the 3rd (so plry make campus by 1) and the 4th, staying that night, doing NYU the 5th and then heading home around noon on Saturday

Can't wait to see y'all there

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 am

were many of you able to get student hosts for this? i just got rejected by someone who was already taken... i realize i'm asking them pretty late, though =(

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 am

georgina wrote:were many of you able to get student hosts for this? i just got rejected by someone who was already taken... i realize i'm asking them pretty late, though =(

I was rejected by two... but the third email was successful haha. I would just send an email to a few hosts and hope one sticks :)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 am

maggiebre wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
CanadianEH wrote:For those wondering, there are still students able to host people at their place - I just got in contact with one and have somewhere to stay for ASW.

Are you all planning on coming in on the 3rd? or will some of you guys be in town early on the second?

I'm thinking of getting in the night before. Pre-party imo

I'll be getting in on the 3rd, but I'm only 2 hours away (in Philly). Are you guys leaving on the 4th, or staying til the 5th?

I'm getting in on the night of the 2nd & staying till the morning of the 6th (I have friends from UG in the city I want to see, so I'm probably staying a bit longer than most people).

edit: I already posted this in the 'What should girls wear on visits' thread, but are you guys planning to go the business casual route/would dressy jeans be frowned upon at this kind of event?

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 pm

blue5385 wrote:
edit: I already posted this in the 'What should girls wear on visits' thread, but are you guys planning to go the business casual route/would dressy jeans be frowned upon at this kind of event?

how about, let's all agree to set the bar below business casual. that way, at least 10 of us will be in jeans, or maybe khakis for guys (seriously, i didn't know where the khaki thing in the girl thread was coming from. i haven't worn khakis as "something more formal than jeans" in over 10 years.). ok?? jeans!!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38 pm

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

how about, let's all agree to set the bar below business casual. that way, at least 10 of us will be in jeans, or maybe khakis for guys (seriously, i didn't know where the khaki thing in the girl thread was coming from. i haven't worn khakis as "something more formal than jeans" in over 10 years.). ok?? jeans!!

done. now we just need 8 other people to commit to this, any takers?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 pm

blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Haha I'll be in jeans for sure! And Georgina, you're right on about the khakis thing... I haven't owned khakis since maybe middle school.

Also, I visited U of Chicago recently, and I wore black jeans... and I was dressed nicer than most of the students to be honest.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 pm

maggiebre wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Haha I'll be in jeans for sure! And Georgina, you're right on about the khakis thing... I haven't owned khakis since maybe middle school.

Also, I visited U of Chicago recently, and I wore black jeans... and I was dressed nicer than most of the students to be honest.

I'd expect that from U of C tbh. I was thinking people would be dressed well at columbia & nyu's events because it's new york city & most people there dress well, but maybe those are just my naive midwestern misconceptions about nyc speaking...

and even if we were the only girls there in jeans, at least that's how we'd know each other! also, +1 on the khakis thing, I can pinpoint the last time I owned khakis as 8th grade, when I had to wear them as part of my band uniform...ew.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 pm

blue5385 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:

I'd expect that from U of C tbh. I was thinking people would be dressed well at columbia & nyu's events because it's new york city & most people there dress well, but maybe that's just my naive midwestern misconceptions about nyc speaking...

and even if we were the only girls there in jeans, at least that's how we'd know each other! also, +1 on the khakis thing, I can pinpoint the last time I owned khakis as 8th grade, when I had to wear them as part of my band uniform...ew.

Hahaha khakis for women should be banned.

And people in NYC will definitely be dressed more "upscale," but still casual. Jeans with boots or flats will definitely be fine :)

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:06 pm

blue5385 wrote:I'd expect that from U of C tbh. I was thinking people would be dressed well at columbia & nyu's events because it's new york city & most people there dress well, but maybe those are just my naive midwestern misconceptions about nyc speaking...

wait, you're a girl? what? not that your posts are masculine, or anything, but for some reason i had thought otherwise. weird.

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I feel very confident that the majority of girls will be in jeans...and I will most definitely be one of them!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I'd expect that from U of C tbh. I was thinking people would be dressed well at columbia & nyu's events because it's new york city & most people there dress well, but maybe those are just my naive midwestern misconceptions about nyc speaking...

wait, you're a girl? what? not that your posts are masculine, or anything, but for some reason i had thought otherwise. weird.

my TLS handle is pretty gender neutral so that's understandable :) but yeah, i'm kind of a girly girl in person but i guess not on the internet

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm

I'll be there next week! Oh and I'll be dressed super casual. So you all will look great in comparison haha

... Anybody headed down to HLS on the 6th? Chinatown bus buddy perhaps?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm

i was wondering what to wear, too. i was thinking of wearing kinda a cute dressed-up-but-not-business-casual outfit. i may be the girl in colored tights.....or maybe i'll just wear jeans...

since i already live in nyc, i didn't ask for a student host, but is it typical to ask for one anyway to be a guide during the day, or are we mostly with each other?

also, this isn't about CLS ASW, but does anyone remember the login/password for NYU's admitted students' site? is it SSN and then a password we chose?

oh, and no uggs under any circumstances!!!!!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i was wondering what to wear, too. i was thinking of wearing kinda a cute dressed-up-but-not-business-casual outfit. i may be the girl in colored tights.....or maybe i'll just wear jeans...

since i already live in nyc, i didn't ask for a student host, but is it typical to ask for one anyway to be a guide during the day, or are we mostly with each other?

also, this isn't about CLS ASW, but does anyone remember the login/password for NYU's admitted students' site? is it SSN and then a password we chose?

wear jeans, everyone is doing it! :wink: But in all seriousness, I hope no one is ridiculous enough to show up in uggs. (re the business casual thing, I'm bringing a backup skirt/heels ensemble for the second day just in case I feel really under-dressed in jeans & flats on the first day, although I doubt that'll happen.)

I didn't ask for a student host either, I'm staying in a hotel. I hope that isn't going to put me at a disadvantage when it comes to having a guide -- I got the impression from the schedule that they have stuff planned all day from 9 in the morning to night so we won't ever really be on our own. Oh, and the NYU login/pass is your SSN & your birthday for first login and then SSN & pass of your choice.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Yea I don't know about girls but I went to the Mondays at Columbia and it was pretty much button downs and slacks for guys. The columbia people were in suits.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:Yea I don't know about girls but I went to the Mondays at Columbia and it was pretty much button downs and slacks for guys. The columbia people were in suits.

Oh gd it, so much for skinny jeans and a v-neck tee

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Although there will probably be snow on the ground as well!!

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i was wondering what to wear, too. i was thinking of wearing kinda a cute dressed-up-but-not-business-casual outfit. i may be the girl in colored tights.....or maybe i'll just wear jeans...

you're a girl, too? wow, seriously, i am TERRIBLE at determining gender based on tls.

you mean no uggs ever anymore anywhere in new york, or just at the ASD? my impression is that the world is still obsessed with them. like, i couldn't believe my eyes when i was in SF last week and people THERE were wearing uggs.

oh, and it's still cold enough that people in nyc are wearing wool coats, right? like people haven't ignored the 30 degree weather and moved onto spring coats anyway have they?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:Yea I don't know about girls but I went to the Mondays at Columbia and it was pretty much button downs and slacks for guys. The columbia people were in suits.

In that case I may take it up a notch to my black skinny jeans... but I think ASW may be more casual just because there'll be so many people.

And georgina - wool coats are definitely still fine... it's still pretty f-ing cold (Philly's getting 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow... I want to die).

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”