Columbia ASW March 3-4! Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
holborn

Bronze

Re: Columbia ASW March 3-4!

Post by holborn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 am

deneuve39 wrote:I had Morrison for a mock class last year and he called on people...
wait...what? can you expand on this please?

Pausanias

Bronze

Post by Pausanias » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 am

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to make the mock class, you guys don't think that they're be any consequences, do you? Do you think they'll take roll?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Pausanias wrote:I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to make the mock class, you guys don't think that they're be any consequences, do you? Do you think they'll take roll?
haha. youre hilarious. i realize my freaking out is completely unnecessary, but i can't help it. i just want to know whats going to happen before i get there. i dont think thats such a big deal.

edit: also, you go to yale? why are you even on this thread?

Pausanias

Bronze

Post by Pausanias » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:00 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
Pausanias wrote:I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to make the mock class, you guys don't think that they're be any consequences, do you? Do you think they'll take roll?
haha. youre hilarious. i realize my freaking out is completely unnecessary, but i can't help it. i just want to know whats going to happen before i get there. i dont think thats such a big deal.

edit: also, you go to yale? why are you even on this thread?
I wanna check out Columbia, you never know...Plus I love Morningside Heights.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 pm

deneuve39 wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:And although I haven't had him, I hear Ferguson is super nice.(
Good. I was starting to have horrible visions of getting called on & forgetting everything about Palsgraff I had read on the plane.
Seriously, don't sweat these mock classes! You should read/skim the case just so you can follow along in the mock class, but you don't need to anything more than that. The mock classes are really laid-back... you won't get grilled.
I had Morrison for a mock class last year and he called on people...
Huh, I'm surprised. Although I'd imagine the cold calling was very, very gentle... after all, it would entirely defeat the purpose of the mock classes (i.e.: convincing people to come to CLS) if the prof scared prospective students, haha.

My basic advice still stands: don't sweat these mock classes - they're designed to be low stress and they're purely for your benefit. Do the reading so you can follow along, but go in knowing that your participation (or lack thereof) carries zero consequences. No one is grading you based on this fake class!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:00 pm

well, cold calling aside, im excited for tomorrow! i feel like its the first day of school all over again. haha

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:40 pm

For someone not from the city what's the best way to get from Laguardia to Columbia...

The M60 bus straight there, or should I take the M33 to the 7 to the 1 to Columbia..

If it matters, I'm a little better at riding the subway than the bus b/c I can never figure out where to get off the bus (I'm really not sure what's wrong with me).

Thanks in Advance!!

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm

swimbrad wrote:For someone not from the city what's the best way to get from Laguardia to Columbia...

The M60 bus straight there, or should I take the M33 to the 7 to the 1 to Columbia..

If it matters, I'm a little better at riding the subway than the bus b/c I can never figure out where to get off the bus (I'm really not sure what's wrong with me).

Thanks in Advance!!
not from the city, but i hear m60 is the best public transport route. that said, my host made it seem like the m60 is usually pretty crowded and goes through much traffic.

anyone getting into LGA at 2 pm tomorrow interested in sharing a cab? pm me

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:50 pm

georgina wrote:
swimbrad wrote:For someone not from the city what's the best way to get from Laguardia to Columbia...

Thanks in Advance!!
not from the city, but i hear m60 is the best public transport route. that said, my host made it seem like the m60 is usually pretty crowded and goes through much traffic.

anyone getting into LGA at 2 pm tomorrow interested in sharing a cab? pm me
Dang - so close, but I get in at 11

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:45 pm

its not the cheapest option but i find a cab to be easiest. and worth it, imo, to avoid having to deal with the bus and the subway while carrying a suitcase. if you go to hopstop.com and type in your starting address as la guardia airport and your destination as the address for columbia it will give you step by step directions, down to where to walk. also, if you scroll to the bottom, and click taxi time/cost it will show you how much a yellow nyc taxi is. its probably worth it to pay for the cab.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Three things:

-The M60 is the best public transportation option from LaGuardia. M33 to the 7 to the 1 will take you roughly twice as long (depending on traffic).

-That said, the M60 sucks - it's slow and crowded. If you can find a friend or two, get a cab. It will cost about $20 including tip. It will be much faster, and much more comfortable. Also, I'm not really sure how you'd do it if you're from out of town - the bus requires either a metrocard or exact change in quarters, and there are no metrocard vending machines nearby.

-Dubler has cancelled her con law class (not her mock class) for tomorrow, so if you were planning on going to that, you might have to pick another professor.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Tofu wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i have morrison at two as well.....didn't realize we had to read something until i read this thread, though. what classes are good ones to visit?
So far, I've heard Ariela Dubler and Christina Burnett for Conlaw, Gerard Lynch for Crimlaw, and Heller for Property.
anyone have any other recommendations? since dubler's out, i think i'll catch burnett. i'd like to go to criminal law, but i can't make lynch's time.....what about edgar or wu?

also, i am really happy to see that the classes are pretty short. i saw a harvard 1L schedule somewhere that showed classes that were two hours long.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:01 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Tofu wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i have morrison at two as well.....didn't realize we had to read something until i read this thread, though. what classes are good ones to visit?
So far, I've heard Ariela Dubler and Christina Burnett for Conlaw, Gerard Lynch for Crimlaw, and Heller for Property.
anyone have any other recommendations?
A few additional recommendations:

Criminal: 9:30 on Wednesday w/ Edgar (I'm in this class!)
Criminal: 2:50 on Wednesday w/ Tim Wu (IP and net neutrality are his real academic focuses, but I imagine he's still pretty chill for Crim)

Don't try and go to Clarissa Long's Property class; it's canceled tomorrow.

Waxman has a ridiculously cool background, and he teaches a 1L elective on international law (The United States and the International Legal System). The class is interesting, but it probably isn't the best example of your "typical" 1L class because (1) it's very discussion-based and (2) we read primary sources and academic texts more frequently than we read cases. But if you're really interested in the subject and don't care that it isn't a typical 1L class, then feel free to swing by.

Course schedule: http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/2010-s ... howthumb=0

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:41 am

We should have a TLS meet-up or something!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:11 am

What do we actually do tomorrow (Wednesday, I mean)? The schedule looks pretty bare. Maybe I'll just wander around Times square instead for the earlier part of the day.

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 am

julesm2200 wrote:
deneuve39 wrote:I had Morrison for a mock class last year and he called on people...
wait...what? can you expand on this please?
I mean, he had a list of all of the people assigned to his mock class. Sometimes he called on people and that person wouldn't be there (so, no consequences if you just don't show up obviously). The people he happened to call on were all pretty interested in talking and I don't recall that there were awkward silences or people were scared or anything. He's not asking ridiculously hard questions; after going through the factual background stuff I remember he just sort of asked our opinions on how the court ruled and whether we think it was a good idea. This is an interesting case b/c: 1) it has no real relevance for today because all of these future gift type things are done through trusts and 2) it's an example of the court trying to intervene itself in a family will contest and decide who the Uncle would have wanted to the money to go to (as Chirelstein would say, certainly not to the greedy relatives).
somewhatwayward wrote:
Tofu wrote:
anyone have any other recommendations? since dubler's out, i think i'll catch burnett. i'd like to go to criminal law, but i can't make lynch's time.....what about edgar or wu?

also, i am really happy to see that the classes are pretty short. i saw a harvard 1L schedule somewhere that showed classes that were two hours long.
Definitely Burnett at 10:40 in JG 106. Also Heller for property at 2:50 in Big Warren (the building on the E side of Amsterdam between 115 and 116) in the basement: L107.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Tofu wrote:

Tim Wu's crim law class is in JGH 103 at 2:50... I highly recommend it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Hope all of you had an excellent time this week! :)

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:37 am

Totally random but did anyone happen to find a small camera in a black case? I lost mine sometime between lunch and the mock class.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Lem37 wrote:Hope all of you had an excellent time this week! :)
I only attended yesterday's events. I had a good time, and I left slightly more inclined to attend CLS.

Overall, I thought the faculty presentations were interesting. There are obviously a lot of brilliant professors who are doing amazing things. Dean Schizer was a bit too much of a salesman for my tastes. (I realize, of course, that it's his job to sell the school.)

I think my favorite session was the mock class with Professor Morrison. He was informative and entertaining, and he did a great job moving the class along with the socratic method. Even though it was just a mock class, the students who showed up had clearly prepared and read the case. I thought that most of the students who were called on did a pretty good job hanging in there, especially considering that it was probably their first experience with the socratic method. It seemed like a group of bright and intelligent people.

Also, the group of students was--at least when compared to a couple of other law schools I've observed--a relatively diverse group, with people of varying ethnicity, national origin, and age. I thought the overall vibe was good.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I had a good time. I think the mock class was also one of my favorite events. That, and the free booze.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Dignan wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Hope all of you had an excellent time this week! :)
I only attended yesterday's events. I had a good time, and I left slightly more inclined to attend CLS.

Overall, I thought the faculty presentations were interesting. There are obviously a lot of brilliant professors who are doing amazing things. Dean Schizer was a bit too much of a salesman for my tastes. (I realize, of course, that it's his job to sell the school.)

I think my favorite session was the mock class with Professor Morrison. He was informative and entertaining, and he did a great job moving the class along with the socratic method. Even though it was just a mock class, the students who showed up had clearly prepared and read the case. I thought that most of the students who were called on did a pretty good job hanging in there, especially considering that it was probably their first experience with the socratic method. It seemed like a group of bright and intelligent people.

Also, the group of students was--at least when compared to a couple of other law schools I've observed--a relatively diverse group, with people of varying ethnicity, national origin, and age. I thought the overall vibe was good.
+1 Morrison was pretty cool. And Tim Wu seemed suprisingly down to earth and really quite comical. I too was definitely impressed with Morrison his energy and enthusiasm was contagious although I am sure he is used for mock classes for this exact reason. Overall I was pretty impressed and liked it. Although to be fair it is the only admitted student event I have attended so far.

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Very few people got up for Lynch's 8am criminal law class on Wednesday, and missed some good quotes because of it. In particular: "Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill." He was talking about self-defense as a justification for intentional homicide. Worth the early start.

I left with a very good impression of Columbia. I could see myself spending the next 3 years there.

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:42 pm

So, everybody have fun?
After you guys are done w/ NYU's, a review deathmatch would be awesome.

Anyway, I know I had at least one of you on my tour. Anyone else get the pleasure of hearing me rant about CLS for half an hour in person on wed? :D

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 pm

I really enjoyed Columbia. I was pretty set on NYU, but now I'm thoroughly confused; they did a great job at Columbia!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”