UVA ASWs 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
whattodo2008

Re: UVA ASWs 2010

Postby whattodo2008 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:44 pm

heathbar88 wrote:After ASW, a few things are very apparent (to me at least):

1. UVA Law students are by far the most happy (least miserable) law students in the top 14+
2. UVA Law faculty/staff/professors are easily accessible, love the school & students and many are brilliant
3. UVA Law BY FAR has the best looking & friendliest students in the top 14+ haha

Don't regret my decision for a second.

This puts a smile on my face, especially seeing that I'm paying ticket. Look forward to April ASW!

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:41 pm

i can confirm that one of the supreme court clerks was smashed. i talked to him for a while and his BAC had to be atleast .20

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm

dgouzoul wrote:i can confirm that one of the supreme court clerks was smashed. i talked to him for a while and his BAC had to be atleast .20

Hahaha, now I'm regretting having left before that!

crunchytater

Postby crunchytater » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Sounds like you all had a good time. UVA just surprised me with a scholarship, so I just had to change all my travel plans from Vandy to Charlottesville for the April 9th weekend. I booked a room at the Courtyard by Marriot in north Charlottesville for the 8th through the 11th, and would be open to sharing the room if anyone still needs a place to sleep. PM me if you are interested.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 am

For those of you signed up to stay with a student host, how long before your trip did you receive a confirmation email?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 am

Apple Tree wrote:For those of you signed up to stay with a student host, how long before your trip did you receive a confirmation email?

Unfortunately there is again a shortage of hosts, this time fueled by the fact that the softball invitational and 1L oral arguments are both going on that weekend so a lot of people are unwilling to volunteer. We're still working on getting volunteers but I don't know if we're going to come up short or not. If you don't yet have a host, you'll get an email this week.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:48 am

I see. I guess I'll start looking around for hotels just in case I don't get host. Thanks for the info!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:For those of you signed up to stay with a student host, how long before your trip did you receive a confirmation email?

April hosting assignments went out this past weekend. I emailed my admitted student yesterday, and if you haven't heard from your host yet, you should soon (I think they have less of a shortage of hosts for April).

Best host ever!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 pm

this sucks, i signed up for the ASW the minute the invite came out and now im gonna have to waste more money on a hotel. uva is kind of pissing me off lately.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Just got my student host email today, look forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks!

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm

jnorsky wrote:this sucks, i signed up for the ASW the minute the invite came out and now im gonna have to waste more money on a hotel. uva is kind of pissing me off lately.

Wait, why? Did you not get a student host? I thought a previous poster said that not all the e-mails from the student hosts had gone out yet.

chuddery

Postby chuddery » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:39 pm

gladiator wrote:

Unfortunately there is again a shortage of hosts, this time fueled by the fact that the softball invitational and 1L oral arguments are both going on that weekend so a lot of people are unwilling to volunteer. We're still working on getting volunteers but I don't know if we're going to come up short or not. If you don't yet have a host, you'll get an email this week.

Will we be getting an email whether we get a student host or not? Sorry if this is a repeat question.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:57 pm

As of now, no admitted students have been emailed (by me) about whether they have a host. Most of the hosts have been emailed their admitted student's contact info so you may have been emailed by your host directly. If you do not presently have a host assigned, you'll get an email from me tonight or tomorrow basically saying that we're doing our best to close the gap between volunteers and requests but there is no way to predict whether new volunteers will come forward so it'd be best to make a contingency plan. As a general matter, I'd say if you applied before around March 5, it's very likely you'll have a host; if you applied between March 5 and 17, you might be in the danger zone; if you applied after the March 17 deadline, it's unlikely we're going to be able to accommodate you.

I promise I'm leaving no stone unturned in trying to recruit hosts so while I apologize if you don't end up with a host, it won't have been for lack of effort. Unfortunately there is just a large combination of people that will either be out of town, too busy either playing in or involved with the softball invitational, or participating in 1L oral arguments that weekend so it's shrunk the volunteer pool.

chuddery

Postby chuddery » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:03 pm

gladiator wrote:As of now, no admitted students have been emailed (by me) about whether they have a host. Most of the hosts have been emailed their admitted student's contact info so you may have been emailed by your host directly. If you do not presently have a host assigned, you'll get an email from me tonight or tomorrow basically saying that we're doing our best to close the gap between volunteers and requests but there is no way to predict whether new volunteers will come forward so it'd be best to make a contingency plan. As a general matter, I'd say if you applied before around March 5, it's very likely you'll have a host; if you applied between March 5 and 17, you might be in the danger zone; if you applied after the March 17 deadline, it's unlikely we're going to be able to accommodate you.

I promise I'm leaving no stone unturned in trying to recruit hosts so while I apologize if you don't end up with a host, it won't have been for lack of effort. Unfortunately there is just a large combination of people that will either be out of town, too busy either playing in or involved with the softball invitational, or participating in 1L oral arguments that weekend so it's shrunk the volunteer pool.

I hear you. Whatever happens, I appreciate the effort.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Just got my student host email today, look forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks!

I've been meaning to ask this: You're not the guy from this season of the Real World (D.C.) that rocks the panda hat are you? :D

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Just booked my flight into CHO. If the student host doesn't work out, I'll have to find a hotel. Would it be more convenient to rent a car than to take taxies around? Or should I just forget about rental? I read the traffic there is pretty bad, and I don't do well in congested traffic. I can't do parallel parking either... :oops:

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Just booked my flight into CHO. If the student host doesn't work out, I'll have to find a hotel. Would it be more convenient to rent a car than to take taxies around? Or should I just forget about rental? I read the traffic there is pretty bad, and I don't do well in congested traffic. I can't do parallel parking either... :oops:

I don't how much a car rental will be. Taxis to and from the airport are about $25-30. If you get a nearby motel (say, the EconoLodge) you won't need a car to go anywhere once you're in town. On the other hand, if you get a rental car you might be able to stay at a motel cheaper than the EconoLodge, but that's further away from the school.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:10 am

Apple Tree wrote:Just booked my flight into CHO. If the student host doesn't work out, I'll have to find a hotel. Would it be more convenient to rent a car than to take taxies around? Or should I just forget about rental? I read the traffic there is pretty bad, and I don't do well in congested traffic. I can't do parallel parking either... :oops:

Eh... the congestion here is a joke compared to any city I've ever lived in.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Just got my student host email today, look forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks!

I've been meaning to ask this: You're not the guy from this season of the Real World (D.C.) that rocks the panda hat are you? :D

Unfortunately I don't own any articles of clothing with pandas on them :( I need to get on that.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Unfortunately I don't own any articles of clothing with pandas on them :( I need to get on that.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

That is a baller hat.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 pm

2 weeks until the next ASW! :)

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”