(Where, When and What Did You Think)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA ASWs 2010

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:12 pm

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:18 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:Anyone need a travel companion to drive from DC for the March 19 ASW? I don't have a car, but I'll spring for gas/food and I make awesome iPod playlists (references provided upon request) :D

There's some people headed from/through DC earlier in this thread, I think.

I'm about 90% sure I'll be driving down from DC, and I'm going to confirm it this week with work. I'll be renting a car from DC and driving down I think on Thursday night, and driving back sometime on Saturday. I believe I have 1 person planning on coming with at this point, but should be able to fit 2 more without much trouble, assuming everyone packs light. PM me if anyone is interested, I'll be picking up the rental car at Reagan airport, but can swing by Dulles on the way out to Charlottesville.

saturnine

Postby saturnine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:00 pm

I justI sent in the stay-with-a-student form and noticed afterwards that the deadline was officially yesterday (for the March weekend). Should I e-mail the coordinating students?

I am also heading from DC but since I quit my job I'll probably try to linger around a few days before or after the ASW.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Just got an email from my student host.

Wi11iam

Postby Wi11iam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Who's staying on Saturday for the Taylor Swift concert?... :lol:
Bahaha!

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: student hosts

So far the demand for the March ASW has been way higher than for April. There are 66 host requests for March vs. just 25 for April. If you signed up for March and haven't heard anything yet then your host just hasn't gotten to it yet or you might not have one yet but we're working on it tirelessly I assure you. So far 45 hosts have been assigned for March. Those March attendees that filled out the form on or before 2/20 are being assigned on a best fit basis, those that filled out the form after the deadline will get a host first come, first serve in the interest of fairness. None of the April hosts have been notified yet and the demand is much lower so, so far at least, April shouldn't be a problem. Last year the demand was about 40 for each weekend so it's made the process more difficult.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 pm

gladiator wrote:Re: student hosts

So far the demand for the March ASW has been way higher than for April. There are 66 host requests for March vs. just 25 for April. If you signed up for March and haven't heard anything yet then your host just hasn't gotten to it yet or you might not have one yet but we're working on it tirelessly I assure you. So far 45 hosts have been assigned for March. Those March attendees that filled out the form on or before 2/20 are being assigned on a best fit basis, those that filled out the form after the deadline will get a host first come, first serve in the interest of fairness. None of the April hosts have been notified yet and the demand is much lower so, so far at least, April shouldn't be a problem. Last year the demand was about 40 for each weekend so it's made the process more difficult.

Fack! I reaalllyy hope I get one, I don't have money for a hotel :| I thought I signed up kind of early but who knows. Has anyone else heard from their host?

musclemilk2

Postby musclemilk2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Hey everyone! Very excited to be able to post in here now. I know it's a long way away, but does anyone want to carpool from DC to the April ASW? I'll drive!

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:03 pm

lz06 wrote:

Fack! I reaalllyy hope I get one, I don't have money for a hotel :| I thought I signed up kind of early but who knows. Has anyone else heard from their host?

If we haven't heard from a student host yet, does that (realistically) mean that we won't get one? I signed up late on 2/20, so I'll understand if I can't be matched up...but it would be nice to know so that I can book a hotel room. Anyone else sign up who is still waiting to hear?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 am

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:24 am

Opened my e-mail and found out my student host had been secured. It kind of made me want to go ahead and thank gladiator and all the people in charge of this - I'll thank my host when I get the chance of course.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:36 am

dontstopbelivin wrote:
lz06 wrote:

If we haven't heard from a student host yet, does that (realistically) mean that we won't get one? I signed up late on 2/20, so I'll understand if I can't be matched up...but it would be nice to know so that I can book a hotel room. Anyone else sign up who is still waiting to hear?

Are you signed up for March or April? If it's March, then if you haven't received a host yet you're in some trouble but not necessarily screwed. If it's April, April hosts haven't been assigned yet but numbers are looking pretty decent. Also, if you're male, you have a much better shot because the shortage for March is much worse for females. You'll get an email about it within the next few days. We're still searching for hosts as long as it takes though so it's still possible you'll get one. Unfortunately demand has just been really high for March so even though we've already secured more hosts than last year, there are still requests outstanding.

slider

Postby slider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 am

billyez wrote:Opened my e-mail and found out my student host had been secured. It kind of made me want to go ahead and thank gladiator and all the people in charge of this - I'll thank my host when I get the chance of course.

Indeed. I got a student host too. Thanks Gladiator!

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:51 pm

gladiator wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote: If we haven't heard from a student host yet, does that (realistically) mean that we won't get one? I signed up late on 2/20, so I'll understand if I can't be matched up...but it would be nice to know so that I can book a hotel room. Anyone else sign up who is still waiting to hear?

Are you signed up for March or April? If it's March, then if you haven't received a host yet you're in some trouble but not necessarily screwed. If it's April, April hosts haven't been assigned yet but numbers are looking pretty decent. Also, if you're male, you have a much better shot because the shortage for March is much worse for females. You'll get an email about it within the next few days. We're still searching for hosts as long as it takes though so it's still possible you'll get one. Unfortunately demand has just been really high for March so even though we've already secured more hosts than last year, there are still requests outstanding.

Hey gladiator,

I'm a girl signed up for March :( so I guess I'll start looking at hotel options as a back-up plan. I'll keep my eye out for an email though. Thanks so much for the info, and for setting all these up! It (obviously) is a lot of work!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:18 pm

A friendly word of advice about parking, for those of you driving to this event:

If parking is limited at the law school (and at least on Friday it probably will be), make sure you only park where it is legal to do so. You may park along the street on Arlington Blvd. and walk up to the school if you can find parking there, but on a school day those spots will likely be full until late afternoon at least. If you choose to park in one of the parking lots for the private housing units along Arlington Blvd., such as the Jeffersonian or Arlington Court Condos, you may and probably will be towed.

I'm not kidding about this. Some residents will be lenient about this but some won't. I have had one car towed out of my parking space this year already and I'll do it again in a heartbeat. I'd hate to have a car towed out of my spot and then find out it was a rental car belonging to one of you guys. I'm not sure whether you'd even be able to get a rental car back from the impound lot since your name isn't on the vehicle registration. Don't be the guinea pig for this, so don't park in the parking lots for the housing units along Arlington Blvd. unless you're really, really sure you're okay to be there.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Some good news to put some of your minds at ease. We now have enough host volunteers that anyone who applied for one on or before the 2/20 deadline for the March ASW will have a host. We have enough to accommodate a few of those that applied after 2/20 so we're still working on finding people. The waitlist is down to around 10 though at the moment.

portena

Postby portena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Accepted Wednesday, registered for the March 19th ASW last night. Can't wait! I haven't even started thinking about plane tickets/rental cars yet though...ick.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 pm

portena wrote:Accepted Wednesday, registered for the March 19th ASW last night. Can't wait! I haven't even started thinking about plane tickets/rental cars yet though...ick.

Congrats. If you fly in to CHO, I am renting a car and would split some cost with you if interested. Send me a PM.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Got my train tickets for the March 19th ASD
:D

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 pm

I decided to come down a day early to check out C-ville and apartments, but I don't want to intrude on my student host a day early. Does anyone recommend a nearby hotel, or is there anywhere where most people seem to be staying?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:06 am

Amelie wrote:I decided to come down a day early to check out C-ville and apartments, but I don't want to intrude on my student host a day early. Does anyone recommend a nearby hotel, or is there anywhere where most people seem to be staying?

There are a lot of hotels nearby, you should be able to find a place for 1 night, I would think. Priceline something and see what you can get.

HJO

Postby HJO » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm

So...I know I've asked this question before, but are we planning on geting together as TLS'ers at ASW? Should we all go out and and get drinks on Friday night? Should we just play it by ear or should we set something up? Also, the tricky question of how to identify ourselves again arises. Do people have an interest in this or are we trying to keep the intranetz and real life separate?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm

oneforship wrote:
Amelie wrote:I decided to come down a day early to check out C-ville and apartments, but I don't want to intrude on my student host a day early. Does anyone recommend a nearby hotel, or is there anywhere where most people seem to be staying?

There are a lot of hotels nearby, you should be able to find a place for 1 night, I would think. Priceline something and see what you can get.

I decided on the Cavalier Inn since I won't have a car and want to be close.
Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

slider

Postby slider » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 pm

[Chingy - Holiday Inn]

"(Whachu doin?) Nothing chillin at the Holiday Inn
(Who you wit?) Me and my peeps won't you bring four of your friends"

Haha. The song came to mind. :P

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:42 pm

slider wrote:[Chingy - Holiday Inn]

"(Whachu doin?) Nothing chillin at the Holiday Inn
(Who you wit?) Me and my peeps won't you bring four of your friends"

Haha. The song came to mind. :P

one thing leading to another, let the party begin!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”