What should girls wear on visits?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Apple Tree

Re: What should girls wear on visits?

Postby Apple Tree » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 am

I think anything out of the catelogs of BR, Ann Taylor, JCrew, etc would be fine.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 am

amyLAchemist wrote:There are lots of things between jeans and business casual, and even between khakis and business casual. I am a huge fan of skinny cotton/cotton blend pants with boots or a cute pair of low heels or flats. Or widelegged/cuffed cotton pants with a pattern (striped, checked, etc) (See Gap, Banana Republic, Express, etc) This or nice jeans is typically what i wear to school on a daily basis in the winter, with a sweater, twinset, button down, or long-sleeved tee. Also a frequent wearer a long sweater/shirt with leggings and boots. That works as well.

oh hai (minus the leggings)

Laina

Postby Laina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:03 am

I like all the guys who are giving advice in this thread. Seriously lacking.

Honestly, wear what you feel comfortable wearing, especially if you are already admitted. ASWs are really about seeing if you connect with the campus culture/other students, so you want to be yourself and have at least a modicum of personality in your outfit. Personally, I abhor khaki pants/black pants ensembles, so I'll be in a casual dress, tights, and flats or boots depending on the weather. Cardigan, cute patterned tank and nice jeans with cute shoes will also do.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Personally, I have some long-john pj's with feet attached. If I don't feel I can wear them to class and fit in, it's just not a good fit for me.

Oh, and they have a button-up ass flap. you never know when nature may call.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:15 am

OP, thanks for bringing this up -- I'm trying to plan what to wear to NYU & Columbia's ASDs. I was planning to wear a knee-length skirt, blouse, and flats. This is something along the lines of what I would wear to work, & I'm thinking that if it's appropriate for a major law firm, it's appropriate for a law school visit.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Just need a little bit of advice...

I'm planning on going to visit BU & UVA in the coming weeks. I've already been admitted at each but I'm meeting with admissions counselors at both just to ask questions, etc.

In that type of situation, what type of attire would you guys recommend for a girl? I'm so bad with fashion & usually such a comfy dresser that I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. Haha thanks in advance for any input! :)

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Just need a little bit of advice...

I'm planning on going to visit BU & UVA in the coming weeks. I've already been admitted at each but I'm meeting with admissions counselors at both just to ask questions, etc.

In that type of situation, what type of attire would you guys recommend for a girl? I'm so bad with fashion & usually such a comfy dresser that I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. Haha thanks in advance for any input! :)

I visited BC last week and wore nice, dark wash jeans with a plain yellow JCrew sweater, my favorite Michael Kors flats (giraffe print pony hair :D ), and a nice cream colored coat (left the Northface fleece at home- I think nice shoes and a nice coat go a long way but that's just me) with simple jewelry. I didn't feel out of place talking to the admissions officer I met or sitting in on a class- not overdressed, not underdressed. Honestly, as long as you look put together and clean, you're good to go. No need to wear black pants and heels.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Katerina wrote:

I visited BC last week and wore nice, dark wash jeans with a plain yellow JCrew sweater, my favorite Michael Kors flats (giraffe print pony hair :D ), and a nice cream colored coat (left the Northface fleece at home- I think nice shoes and a nice coat go a long way but that's just me) with simple jewelry. I didn't feel out of place talking to the admissions officer I met or sitting in on a class- not overdressed, not underdressed. Honestly, as long as you look put together and clean, you're good to go. No need to wear black pants and heels.

Thank you SO much - that is more helpful than you know :D and just in time for me to pack!!

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm

michstudent10 wrote:
Katerina wrote:

Thank you SO much - that is more helpful than you know :D and just in time for me to pack!!

You're very welcome- good luck with your decision!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Katerina wrote:

I would really like to wear jeans to my ASDs too, since outside of work I'm definitely more a jeans person than a dresses/skirts person. When you went to BC, were there a lot of people in dressy jeans, or were people mostly dressed in a more business casual kind of way?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 pm

i'm going to an asd on friday and the dress is business casual. heels are probably a bad idea? since i'm sure we walk around for a tour and such. too bad all of my khakis and pants are hemmed for wearing heels. (i'm really short so i've gotten used to wearing heels at jobs so i don't look like a child, haha)

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 am

mango26 wrote:i'm going to an asd on friday and the dress is business casual. heels are probably a bad idea? since i'm sure we walk around for a tour and such. too bad all of my khakis and pants are hemmed for wearing heels. (i'm really short so i've gotten used to wearing heels at jobs so i don't look like a child, haha)

Hey me too. A good way to wear flats and "appear" taller is to wear pointy ones I've noticed (mine are like...really pointy, but I feel like they make my legs look longer).

Also, if you can roll the hem and pin it with a safety pin in a discrete way you can temporarily hem so that you can wear flats!

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 am

Is it because our future holds nothing but suits, suits, and suits that we're apparently so resistant to dressing nicely? Or, is this a regional thing? I didn't think slacks and a button down, maybe even a tie, were all that inappropriate for most bars around here. Wearing jeans and a t-shirt during the day, especially on the weekend, is all good, but we aren't kids, right? If you're going to a social event, dress up a bit. I'm not talking full on power suit, but I can't see how slacks and leather shoes make you look like an ass.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 am

blue5385 wrote:I would really like to wear jeans to my ASDs too, since outside of work I'm definitely more a jeans person than a dresses/skirts person. When you went to BC, were there a lot of people in dressy jeans, or were people mostly dressed in a more business casual kind of way?

Most of the women I saw were dressed like me (both in my tour group and the students in the class I sat in on). The men sort of ran the gamut (the guys on my tour hadn't been admitted yet so I thought it made perfect sense that they were in slacks and button downs- actual students ranged from business casual to sweatshirts).

lz06

Postby lz06 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm going to visit penn next week on an individual visit and I was just going to wear nice jeans/flats/sweater but I just got my schedule and I'm going to be meeting with the admissions dean for an hour. Meeting with a dean makes me feel like I should not be wearing jeans...

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm

It never hurts to be a little dressed up. Women have the advantage of being able to do so without looking too conspicuous, sort to say, because unlike men we are not sworn to the suit with the tie. A nice pair of pants with a nice sweater/turtleneck could do the trick or a longish skirt. Good luck!

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Is it because our future holds nothing but suits, suits, and suits that we're apparently so resistant to dressing nicely? Or, is this a regional thing? I didn't think slacks and a button down, maybe even a tie, were all that inappropriate for most bars around here. Wearing jeans and a t-shirt during the day, especially on the weekend, is all good, but we aren't kids, right? If you're going to a social event, dress up a bit. I'm not talking full on power suit, but I can't see how slacks and leather shoes make you look like an ass.

ew please dont wear a tie to a bar unless you were just wearing it to tailgate in the sec or to some other event directly beforehand.

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm visiting GWU in a few weeks in an attempt to show them I'm serious about the school and hopefully get off the waitlist. I know that the visit has no formal bearing on my application, but would it be a good idea to dress up a little? I was actually planning on wearing dress slacks and a blazer (albeit in rather young, trendy colors lines, not exactly what I'd consider a power suit). Would this just look desperate?

amclane

Postby amclane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Bailarina08 wrote:I'm visiting GWU in a few weeks in an attempt to show them I'm serious about the school and hopefully get off the waitlist. I know that the visit has no formal bearing on my application, but would it be a good idea to dress up a little? I was actually planning on wearing dress slacks and a blazer (albeit in rather young, trendy colors lines, not exactly what I'd consider a power suit). Would this just look desperate?

I think if you have a meeting with an admissions officer, this is appropriate. It definitely can't hurt (who cares if current students think you're overdressed.)

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Image
Dress like the one on the right. DO NOT DRESS LIKE THE ONE ON THE LEFT.

They both look basically the same. That is, they both look like they shouldn't really be in public. If it's cold enough that you need a coat, wearing a mini skirt just makes you look desperately slutty.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 pm

pollaclc wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Is it because our future holds nothing but suits, suits, and suits that we're apparently so resistant to dressing nicely? Or, is this a regional thing? I didn't think slacks and a button down, maybe even a tie, were all that inappropriate for most bars around here. Wearing jeans and a t-shirt during the day, especially on the weekend, is all good, but we aren't kids, right? If you're going to a social event, dress up a bit. I'm not talking full on power suit, but I can't see how slacks and leather shoes make you look like an ass.

ew please dont wear a tie to a bar unless you were just wearing it to tailgate in the sec or to some other event directly beforehand.

What if you're a businessman celebrating the fact that you just made youngest VP in company history?

basicgrey7

Postby basicgrey7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 pm

If you are really worried go to the limited. Tell the girls what you want and they will find you something amazing :). I'm going to pm you a picture of what I wore to the Chicago lsac forum because I did not want to wear a suit!!

faith2202

Postby faith2202 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm

bighead715 wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:Fig leaf.

Unless you're a fattie.

Then die.

honestly, i just fucking died laughing

Ah, you must be a fattie.

faith2202

Postby faith2202 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 pm

On topic question, my style is very casual, and a little bit bohemian/hippie-ish (think Free People). Think that will be a little weird? Our dress code is real loose at work and today I'm wearing a band t-shirt, a hoodie and jeans. Would I really look out of place if I wore my usual clothes? I have nice stuff for interviews and all that but it's all super dressy.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 pm

faith2202 wrote:On topic question, my style is very casual, and a little bit bohemian/hippie-ish (think Free People). Think that will be a little weird? Our dress code is real loose at work and today I'm wearing a band t-shirt, a hoodie and jeans. Would I really look out of place if I wore my usual clothes? I have nice stuff for interviews and all that but it's all super dressy.

Everyone I know who went to law school dressed the same way they did in UG. Jeans and a tshirt are fine. No one cares.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”