What should girls wear on visits? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: What should girls wear on visits?

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm

humdrum wrote:I thought that ASWs were supposed to be casual?
DePaul's ASD was casual...saw everything from jeans and a sweater, to biz casual. There was one dude in a suit though...he stuck out like a sore thumb. I feel bad, but we sort of laughed at his expense a little.

On that note, usually it says somewhere in the invite what attire is appropriate. My invite specifically said attire was casual. I wore a tunic-style sweater, skinny jeans. Also wore patent flats and earrings that weren't too conservative, but weren't too outlandish either...put me in the "dressy casual" category I guess.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 pm

annapavlova wrote:
mango26 wrote:i'm going to an asd on friday and the dress is business casual. heels are probably a bad idea? since i'm sure we walk around for a tour and such. too bad all of my khakis and pants are hemmed for wearing heels. (i'm really short so i've gotten used to wearing heels at jobs so i don't look like a child, haha)
Hey me too. A good way to wear flats and "appear" taller is to wear pointy ones I've noticed (mine are like...really pointy, but I feel like they make my legs look longer).

Also, if you can roll the hem and pin it with a safety pin in a discrete way you can temporarily hem so that you can wear flats!
Oh, and to note on "short girls can't wear flats," if anyone ever tells you that, punch them. Flats are in style, regardless of if you are 7 feet tall or 4 feet tall. Anyone can pull them off...you just have to have confidence! I'm 5'1"...usually shorter than EVERYONE...I rock my Tory Burch flats like nobody's business! My friends will make jokes when we are out (at the movies or whatever) and say things like "Oh, going to see [whatever children's movie is out] with your new friends?" as kids walk by...I just laugh, because I'm not insecure about my height. Wayyyy bigger fish to fry in life...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
annapavlova wrote:
mango26 wrote:i'm going to an asd on friday and the dress is business casual. heels are probably a bad idea? since i'm sure we walk around for a tour and such. too bad all of my khakis and pants are hemmed for wearing heels. (i'm really short so i've gotten used to wearing heels at jobs so i don't look like a child, haha)
Hey me too. A good way to wear flats and "appear" taller is to wear pointy ones I've noticed (mine are like...really pointy, but I feel like they make my legs look longer).

Also, if you can roll the hem and pin it with a safety pin in a discrete way you can temporarily hem so that you can wear flats!
Oh, and to note on "short girls can't wear flats," if anyone ever tells you that, punch them. Flats are in style, regardless of if you are 7 feet tall or 4 feet tall. Anyone can pull them off...you just have to have confidence! I'm 5'1"...usually shorter than EVERYONE...I rock my Tory Burch flats like nobody's business! My friends will make jokes when we are out (at the movies or whatever) and say things like "Oh, going to see [whatever children's movie is out] with your new friends?" as kids walk by...I just laugh, because I'm not insecure about my height. Wayyyy bigger fish to fry in life...
Flats look kinda dumb on adult women. hth

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 pm

James Bond wrote:
+1

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Flats look kinda dumb on [strike]adult[/strike] older women. hth
+1
Fixed.

When I'm in my 30's I'll retire them.
Last edited by chicagolaw2013 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Just realized that BOTH James Bond and Zojirushi are guys. Nowwww it makes sense why they don't get women's fashion.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:24 pm

PDaddy wrote:First impression is a lasting impression.

It depends on which school you are visiting. A rule of thumb might be to dress nice enough that people know you care about your appearance and the impression you make, but not to overdress, unless you are interviewing. Jeans and tennies are out, as is the evening dress.

You can dress better for urban schools than for schools in college towns. In NYC, L.A., S.F., Chicago, ATL, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Philly, D.C., dress it up. You'll see some students who are dressed really nicely, so you won't look out-of-place.

In college towns, go for a nice pair of khaki capris or a nice slack with a pretty sweater or blouse and a nice shoe. You want to be dressed slightly better than the students who go there, so people know you're on business, but without appearing stuffy.

Be sure your hair, makeup and nails are immaculate no matter what. And carry a nice bag. Be organized, take notes. Go easy on the purfume or eschew it altogether.

The way the girl on the right in the photo above is dressed is appropriate also. She's hot. Another suggestion, look at "Gossip Girl" and go for the preppy look they often show. That works all over the place.

If admitted, you can dress down a little, but I would still look nice.
And also, whatever you do, DON'T follow this guy's advice (with the exception of the hair/nails looking kept well piece). If you every wear khaki capris, you'll forever be known as that weird matronly girl. My mom wears khaki capris...she's 65.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Just realized that BOTH James Bond and Zojirushi are guys. Nowwww it makes sense why they don't get women's fashion.
I always thought one of the purposes of wearing nice or stylish clothes/shoes/etc. was to attract members of the other sex. If I see a woman in flats I either think "stupid hipster" if it applies or "meh" if it doesn't. She doesn't have to be wearing pumps or stilettos, because I hear those hurt, but heels are classy and sexy.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm

James Bond wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Just realized that BOTH James Bond and Zojirushi are guys. Nowwww it makes sense why they don't get women's fashion.
I always thought one of the purposes of wearing nice or stylish clothes/shoes/etc. was to attract members of the other sex. If I see a woman in flats I either think "stupid hipster" if it applies or "meh" if it doesn't. She doesn't have to be wearing pumps or stilettos, because I hear those hurt, but heels are classy and sexy.
Read through this thread. I guess a lot of your fellow law students are "stupid hipsters" or "meh"? LOL I've even seen Michael Kors giraffe flats come up, which are even edgier than most of my shoe wardrobe (totally amazing btw...love it!).

And I attract a specific member of the opposite sex...he likes my shoes just fine lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:29 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Read through this thread. I guess a lot of your fellow law students are "stupid hipsters" or "meh"? LOL I've even seen Michael Kors giraffe flats come up, which are even edgier than most of my shoe wardrobe (totally amazing btw...love it!).
I've really never understood the whole "a ton of other people look stupid so it must be legitimate" argument.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
James Bond wrote:
+1
I don't understand how flats are supposed to stay on your feet anyway. :? I would like to wear them because I'm already tall and heels hurt, but I don't get how they work.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

James Bond wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
I've really never understood the whole "a ton of other people look stupid so it must be legitimate" argument.
I'll leave it at that. Thank you, fashion expert, I've been schooled. :roll:

With regards to how they stay on, it depends on the pair of flats. Some have an elastic-y effect on the back of the shoe (my Tory Burch flats all have that...it's basically like a rubber band sewn into the leather to hold onto your heels). I have other flats that sling back behind my heels as well (my Burberrys that I ADORE have that...stay on without fail). Now, I have skinny heels, so I need something to grab onto my heels, but some people can keep any flats on their feet regardless. You'd have to ask them how they keep on the ones that don't have some "safety measure" if you will.

EDIT: Oh, and best brands for flats: Michael Kors, Via Spiga, Tory Burch, Burberry, Stuart Weitzman (on occasion...some of them look too old lady-ish), and I've heard good things about Christian Louboutin (but they are WAYYY out of my price range haha). Bad brands: anything under $100 (they will hurt your feet and fall apart, trust me), Coach (cute but tear the crap out of your feet).
Last edited by chicagolaw2013 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:35 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I'll leave it at that. Thank you, fashion expert, I've been schooled. :roll:
Not exactly sure how you're a fashion expert either, and I was under the impression that we were talking about our own personal fashion tastes, but for what it's worth I think we most likely dress differently and that's all it comes down to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
James Bond wrote: Flats look kinda dumb on adult women. hth
+1
I don't understand how flats are supposed to stay on your feet anyway. :? I would like to wear them because I'm already tall and heels hurt, but I don't get how they work.
What? :lol:

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Coach (cute but tear the crap out of your feet).
THIS TOO! Holy crap, I have a pair of red Coach driving shoes that I LOVE but haven't been able to wear in and I've had them for like 3 years!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:42 pm

James Bond wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:I'll leave it at that. Thank you, fashion expert, I've been schooled. :roll:
Not exactly sure how you're a fashion expert either, and I was under the impression that we were talking about our own personal fashion tastes, but for what it's worth I think we most likely dress differently and that's all it comes down to.
Never said I was Rachel Zoe. She's the fashion expert. (He's running to look up who exactly Rachel Zoe is as we speak...)

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm

missvik218 wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Coach (cute but tear the crap out of your feet).
THIS TOO! Holy crap, I have a pair of red Coach driving shoes that I LOVE but haven't been able to wear in and I've had them for like 3 years!
I love Coach for bags, and their shoes really are so adorable, but they hurt like a bitch. I bought one pair of flats by them because they matched this really cute sweater I have...yeah, totally not worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:53 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Never said I was Rachel Zoe. She's the fashion expert. (He's running to look up who exactly Rachel Zoe is as we speak...)
Nope. Really don't give a shit.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Good! :wink:

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Good! :wink:
In contrast to my previous statement, I realized boredom overwhelmed me. Sounds like a great person, this Rachel Zoe

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 648756.ece

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm

James Bond wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Good! :wink:
In contrast to my previous statement, I realized boredom overwhelmed me. Sounds like a great person, this Rachel Zoe

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 648756.ece
LOL I knew you looked! Baaaaahahahahaha I win!

"Celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe swept into London last week to find a city poised to loathe every inch of her infamous size 0 frame." Why were they so poised...because she's a size 0? Or despite that fact? You decide...

Edit: My comment has nothing to do with the fact that she may have an eating disorder, but that her possible eating disorder generally overshadows that she indeed is a fantastic stylist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:15 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:[With regards to how they stay on, it depends on the pair of flats. Some have an elastic-y effect on the back of the shoe (my Tory Burch flats all have that...it's basically like a rubber band sewn into the leather to hold onto your heels). I have other flats that sling back behind my heels as well (my Burberrys that I ADORE have that...stay on without fail). Now, I have skinny heels, so I need something to grab onto my heels, but some people can keep any flats on their feet regardless. You'd have to ask them how they keep on the ones that don't have some "safety measure" if you will.

EDIT: Oh, and best brands for flats: Michael Kors, Via Spiga, Tory Burch, Burberry, Stuart Weitzman (on occasion...some of them look too old lady-ish), and I've heard good things about Christian Louboutin (but they are WAYYY out of my price range haha). Bad brands: anything under $100 (they will hurt your feet and fall apart, trust me), Coach (cute but tear the crap out of your feet).
You must have a great job. That shit is expensive. I wouldn't suggest wearing heels to a school visit because you'll be traipsing around all over campus.

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Dress like Erin Brockovich

dontknowwhereimgoin

New

Post by dontknowwhereimgoin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Chicagolaw: What would you recommend for a firm interview?

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm visiting UIUC this weekend and this was something I struggled with too. I'm trying to get bumped off the waitlist...

I'm flying into Chicago on Sunday and spending the day wandering the city, then taking the train into Urbana-Champaign to meet with admissions people. I'm traveling VERY light so I really only want to bring one pair of shoes, but they can't be heels, or even very sophisticated because they have to be comfortable for touring the city. I decided on chic black rain boots over thick leggings and a structured shirt dress... but the boots I ordered specifically for the trip have been delayed until next week.

So now I have to wear my purple rain boots and hope they don't toss me off the waitlist for being tacky and immature.
Last edited by jmhendri on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”