BOALT'S ASW- *Looking for a roommate!* Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
catharsis

Bronze

BOALT'S ASW- *Looking for a roommate!*

Post by catharsis » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:20 pm

If anyone would be interested in getting a rental vehicle with me and shacking up in a nearby hotel I'd be down for it to save money :lol: To my knowledge they dont provide housing or transportation. Ive never been to California but it might seem a rental might be a good idea in this situation?

I figure we could split the cost of a vehicle and a double room.. and have a ride to go out with during the evening to see the city. Unfortunately the cost of my airfare will exceed the $300 stipend they are generously giving us so I want to save some money wherever possible.

Oh, and I'm a 24 year old male incase youre wondering. Sorry if this is awkward or not commonly done but figured it might be worth it.

Thanks!

catharsis

Bronze

Re: BOALT'S ASW- *Looking for a roommate!*

Post by catharsis » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm

shameless bump lol (hopefully there wont be too many more of these haha)

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Good luck! I'd be down if I wasn't already here. :D

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Good luck! I'd be down if I wasn't already here. :D
haha thank you Tangerine :D

another bump :wink:

Boalt1L

New

Post by Boalt1L » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 pm

First of all where could u possible be from that the stipend doesnt cover your flight? Second of all we offer a hosting program where you can crash at some students place for free, you will get a host matching form soon... My ASW trip didn't cost me a penny last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Boalt1L wrote:First of all where could u possible be from that the stipend doesnt cover your flight? Second of all we offer a hosting program where you can crash at some students place for free, you will get a host matching form soon... My ASW trip didn't cost me a penny last year.
I could think of at least a dozen places in this country that would definitely exceed $300 for Bay Area airfare. Anywhere, especially, with a smaller airport in the midwest or East. Always higher fees connecting out of those smaller joints.

Glad to hear this about the hosting program, though...sounds like you should be pretty fine Catharsis.

Legacy316

Bronze

Post by Legacy316 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:06 am

My plane ticket is costing me like $340 (from TX).

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 am

Sadly, I'm visiting outside their ASW, since it conflicts with Chicago. Otherwise I'd totally split!

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Boalt1L wrote:First of all where could u possible be from that the stipend doesnt cover your flight? Second of all we offer a hosting program where you can crash at some students place for free, you will get a host matching form soon... My ASW trip didn't cost me a penny last year.
I could think of at least a dozen places in this country that would definitely exceed $300 for Bay Area airfare. Anywhere, especially, with a smaller airport in the midwest or East. Always higher fees connecting out of those smaller joints.

Glad to hear this about the hosting program, though...sounds like you should be pretty fine Catharsis.
Thanks Tangerine! Im also flying out from Texas and it's going to cost over $300.

Are you guys just taking a cab from the airport to Berkeley? Never been to California Im not sure how the transportation system is arranged there.. in Texas we drive everywhere or you'll never get there lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Kretzy wrote:Sadly, I'm visiting outside their ASW, since it conflicts with Chicago. Otherwise I'd totally split!
Thanks Kretz! Hope you enjoy your visit to Boalt when you go!

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

catharsis wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Thanks Tangerine! Im also flying out from Texas and it's going to cost over $300.

Are you guys just taking a cab from the airport to Berkeley? Never been to California Im not sure how the transportation system is arranged there.. in Texas we drive everywhere or you'll never get there lol.
Are you flying into Oakland or San Francisco? I'm assuming it's into Oakland. Either way, you can take the BART to "downtown Berkeley" (I think it was $ 3.40 from Oakland last time I was there, plus $3.00 AirBART fare to get from the airport to the BART station, probably about the same total from SFO) and then walk up Bancroft to campus. This is easy, fast and waaaaaaaaay cheap (a taxi is like $30). In fact, I would recommend you not rent a car at all. If you want to get around the East Bay there are buses, and getting in SF is pretty easy on BART; you'll save a lot of money and won't have to deal with parking. Some will disagree, and that's fine. Either way, don't take a taxi.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Thank you so much Billy. Is BART the bus system there?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:09 pm

BART = Bay Area Rapid Transit.

It's a fairly efficient train system which goes throughout various parts of the Bay Area. Catharsis, which airport are you flying into? BART will definitely be cheaper either way...but if you're flying into SF proper (SFO airport) just know that a taxi would be very expensive...that drive is 45 minutes without traffic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”