"Fratty" Law Schools

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
lewis louis
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby lewis louis » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Texas is pretty fratt, to be honest. Wayfarers on a pair of tri-delt croakies are the norm. I see people fist pumping in class. hallways painted searsucker, and professors wearing PFG's.


Any questions?


Edit: Ole' Miss is real fratty too. Also, on the topic of SMU, they're not very fratty. TCU, on the other hand is probably the frattiest school in Texas, top 10 in the nation. It does not, however, have a law school.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:50 pm

nahgems wrote:I found Santa Clara to fit this definition of "fratty". But that could just be me.


really? why?

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:SMU, Texas (parts), SEC (except UF), Emory, Wake is okay, UNC is okay, maybe even Baylor.

UVa isn't bad, but there's a lot of liberals.

UF is terrible, have to disagree. FSU isn't bad.

Whoever said Michigan and Notre Dame is backwards.


I was referring to the undergrad. I don't know about the law school. But considering their greek system has a few thousand kids in it, I would say fratty is decently represented. More so than, say, NYU or Chicago.

Edit: oh and i was referring to Michigan. I with hold comment on Notre Dame. (I'm going with the, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all thing)

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 pm

lewis louis wrote:professors wearing PFG's.


+1

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby gobucks101 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 pm

rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:Emory


Really?


No

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm

A lot of the southern schools also have a lot more married couples, generally. I'm not really sure how that impacts your frat definition (I'll admit to rolling my eyes and moving on, and this is from a chick in a stereotypical sorority at a major southern school), but I'd think a more family-oriented culture would change things up a bit.

Again, not sure if that impacts your whole frat thing.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.

Still have to disagree on Michigan, it's a way liberal atmosphere, and their greek system's numbers are inflated by the multi-cultural fraternities, not frat. Agreed that it's way better than most other T14 with exception of UVa, but isn't even on the map with real southern schools.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.


Are you talking about the law school? If so, it is totally different from the undergrad. And that's a good thing.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

I doubt UT Law is very fratty, but UG has a big frat element to it. It's a small % of the enrollment, but when your enrollment is around 50k, that small % turns out to be a large number of people.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Capitalist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Ole Miss, Bama, or UGA.

/Thread

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby gobucks101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 am

rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.


Are you talking about the law school? If so, it is totally different from the undergrad. And that's a good thing.


+1. The law school is pretty isolated from the rest of campus. It is composed of a nice combination of married older students, people who spent a few years in the workforce, and people straight from UG. Because of the distance from the more preppy UG and the mixture of various students from I would wager 20 states, I don't think there is much of a southern conservative preppy vibe. Based on how many Northeastern people there are, I get more of a liberal vibe actually. Also because Emory has such a smaller UG population, the greek life has zero effect on anything that law students do or encounter.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:23 am

gobucks101 wrote:
rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.


Are you talking about the law school? If so, it is totally different from the undergrad. And that's a good thing.


+1. The law school is pretty isolated from the rest of campus. It is composed of a nice combination of married older students, people who spent a few years in the workforce, and people straight from UG. Because of the distance from the more preppy UG and the mixture of various students from I would wager 20 states, I don't think there is much of a southern conservative preppy vibe. Based on how many Northeastern people there are, I get more of a liberal vibe actually. Also because Emory has such a smaller UG population, the greek life has zero effect on anything that law students do or encounter.


I think we might be on different wavelenghts. I would like to go to a school with Southern, conservative, preppy people (not a make it or break it characteristic, however). It doesn't need to look like Carolina Cup every weekend, but after going to a pretty regionally diverse UG, I feel like I get along better with these types.

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby gobucks101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 am

Gotcha. Yea Atlanta tends to attract alot of young people from outside the South, so if you are looking for that it won't be very prevalent at Emory. People still dress in nice clothes in warm weather (which we are in desperate need of) but it really pales in comparison to other schools in the south in relation to Greek Life

User avatar
misformafia
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby misformafia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 am

W&L. They have Vera Bradley products in the bookstore!

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 am

This is a very good question. I will answer it after I finish applying starch to my collar to keep it popped.

clsballer1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby clsballer1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 am

There are differences between fratty and bro

1. Don't have to be in a frat to be a bro. Being in a frat does not make you a bro. An unusually high percentage of bros are in frats due to the fact that the frat lifestyle is conducive to bro'ing.

2. Being a bro is not about what you wear. Most bro's naturally wear brolo due to its stylishness and comfort. Wannabees equate clothing with brohood because it the only way they can pretend to be bro's.

3. Bro's usually don't really give f*ck about anything. However, they are generally smart and can get good grades, plagued by the itis, prone to crushing brews, slaying sorority chicks(whether in a frat or not), possessing a general unexplained swagger.

4. Fratstars are bro's
edit. fratstars go on month long benders, drink, smoke, and bang more girls than the everyone. Yet they seem content doing these things without advertising them to the world via douchey clothing etc.

ram jam
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby ram jam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 am

If Wofford had a law school, it would be the frat daddy of law schools. There is a difference between Southern Fratting and New England Prep, if you do not believe this, walk inside a SEC law school and tell me if you cannot find someone spitting dip while reading casebooks.
Fratty Law Schools: UVA, Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina. With the exception of FSU, any SEC law school will live up to your fratty ideals. Florida State law is more Fratty than Florida law because the admission requirements are lower.
This is the same case with the Fratty schools that I listed above. Generally, the tougher the admissions, the less fratty. This is due to the complexities of the frat lifestyle (lsats and apps fall within college football season, etc.)

HopefulLawStud
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:23 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby HopefulLawStud » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 am

What kind of Costa's you wear?
Anyone wear Guy Harvey anymore...? Everyone and their mother wears them down here in SC, I've gotten away from them. Trashy and nasty people are starting to wear them.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am

julesm2200 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:SMU, Texas (parts), SEC (except UF), Emory, Wake is okay, UNC is okay, maybe even Baylor.

UVa isn't bad, but there's a lot of liberals.

UF is terrible, have to disagree. FSU isn't bad.

Whoever said Michigan and Notre Dame is backwards.


I was referring to the undergrad. I don't know about the law school. But considering their greek system has a few thousand kids in it, I would say fratty is decently represented. More so than, say, NYU or Chicago.

Edit: oh and i was referring to Michigan. I with hold comment on Notre Dame. (I'm going with the, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all thing)


Michigan's law school isn't even a little bit fratty. I can think of a handful of people who might fall into that category, but they in no way reflect the feel of the school.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby missvik218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

rad law wrote:Indeed. Outside the T14, I was also thinking some of the big Southern state schools (UGA, Bama, Texas, perhaps UF) and maybe some of the private schools (Wake, Tulane, W&L, maybe even Emory?), but I'm not as familiar with those.

I can speak to undergrad at some of these - Wake, Tulane, Emory all very fratty. By fratty I mean preppy though, as a lot of them seem to have NE transplant students looking for warmer weather and a "new experience" ... UGA, Bama also definitely. I've never been to UT so I don't know, and from what I know about UF I'd say yes, kind of!? Not as much as UGA or Bama though.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1171
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am

I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

In no particular order within the tiers:

Tier I

Ole Miss
USC (South Carolina, that is)
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 am

misformafia wrote:W&L. They have Vera Bradley products in the bookstore!


So does USC, though I guess it's already made the list. I didn't even know this was a whole phenomenon other than something that makes me smh until these threads so um, thanks y'all?

To clarify, I mean the original. I'm not really one for being cocky but South Carolina is older. Mmk, last post before coffee.
Last edited by thalassocrat on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm

deadpanic wrote:I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

In no particular order within the tiers:

Tier I

Ole Miss
USC (South Carolina, that is)
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell


This is pretty accurate, I'd probably take SC out of Tier I for Tier II. I don't know about LSU being Tier 2, lots of corndog loving wierdos, although Baton Rouge is a pretty decent city. I'd take UF out of Tier III too (Jort capital of the world), maybe throw in Kentucky and Charleston into Tier 3.

Agreed about Wofford. Furman is frat too.

And whoever brought up frat vs. bro, what the hell are you talking about?

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby tarheel87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

In no particular order within the tiers:

Tier I

Ole Miss
USC (South Carolina, that is)
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell


This is pretty accurate, I'd probably take SC out of Tier I for Tier II. I don't know about LSU being Tier 2, lots of corndog loving wierdos, although Baton Rouge is a pretty decent city. I'd take UF out of Tier III too (Jort capital of the world), maybe throw in Kentucky and Charleston into Tier 3.

Agreed about Wofford. Furman is frat too.

And whoever brought up frat vs. bro, what the hell are you talking about?


Stupid as this is I am throwing in my two cents on big schools (best as I can tell). This is pretty general, take it as you will. I left out anything not worth really mentioning:

Tier I: Ole Miss, Bama, UGA, LSU (not really sure)
Tier II: South Carolina, Texas, UNC, Tennessee
Tier III: UVA, W&L, Vanderbilt, SMU
Tier IV: Wake Forest, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, FSU

EDIT: To remove Clemson and Wofford since they don't have law schools
EDIT2: And Auburn
Last edited by tarheel87 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

In no particular order within the tiers:

Tier I

Ole Miss
USC (South Carolina, that is)
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell


This is pretty accurate, I'd probably take SC out of Tier I for Tier II. I don't know about LSU being Tier 2, lots of corndog loving wierdos, although Baton Rouge is a pretty decent city. I'd take UF out of Tier III too (Jort capital of the world), maybe throw in Kentucky and Charleston into Tier 3.

Agreed about Wofford. Furman is frat too.

And whoever brought up frat vs. bro, what the hell are you talking about?


Stupid as this is I am throwing in my two cents on big schools (best as I can tell). This is pretty general, take it as you will. I left out anything not worth really mentioning:

Tier I: Ole Miss, Bama, UGA, LSU (not really sure)
Tier II: Auburn, South Carolina, Clemson, Texas
Tier III: UNC, Tennesee, UVA, W&L, Wofford
Tier IV: SMU, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, FSU


Are we still talking about law schools? Clemson and Wofford don't have them. Why am I even posting in this thread anyway? :lol:




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest