"Fratty" Law Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
glavine

New

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by glavine » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
krispykitten wrote:

Is Vandy really that fratty? It is a top choice for me but I dont know if I can stand 3 more years on a majority greek campus.

Yes it is. 50% greek.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm

rad law wrote:Which schools out there might be considered "fratty?" By this, I don't mean "full of dudes who get drunk all the time and try to hook up," but I do mean a school where many people are:

Preppy, conservative, primarily (though not necessarily) Southern.

eg.,
Guys who like outdoor sports and wear short shorts, polos, and croakies, and girl who like sundresses, pearls, and Vera Bradley stuff.
edit: clearing up a controversy on a previous thread.
I'd go to a school like that in a heartbeat. I love the outdoors (how could you not), and sundresses look incredible . . . on attractive girls, not by themselves, obviously.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm

scionb4 wrote:
rad law wrote:Which schools out there might be considered "fratty?" By this, I don't mean "full of dudes who get drunk all the time and try to hook up," but I do mean a school where many people are:

eg.,
Guys who like outdoor sports and wear short shorts, polos, and croakies, and girl who like sundresses, pearls, and Vera Bradley stuff.
I'd go to a school like that in a heartbeat. I love the outdoors (how could you not), and sundresses look incredible . . . on attractive girls, not by themselves, obviously.
Same. I feel like these are more my kind of people.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 pm

rad law wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

eg.,
Same. I feel like these are more my kind of people.
There's a bid difference between kayaking and outdoor beer pong, FWIW.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:21 pm

ec2xs wrote: There's a bid difference between kayaking and outdoor beer pong, FWIW.
Didn't say there wasn't?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Yea when I think fratty, I don't think outdoors.

But as an avid outdoorsman you'll find me more than likely at U of Colorado or Denver. The people there are rad.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

rad law wrote:
ec2xs wrote: There's a bid difference between kayaking and outdoor beer pong, FWIW.
Didn't say there wasn't?
A joke, not an accusation. :D

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:29 pm

ec2xs wrote:
rad law wrote:
Didn't say there wasn't?
A joke, not an accusation. :D
Haha yeah, sometimes it's hard for me to come across over the nets.

Both of these definitely have their place.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

BruceBarr wrote:Yea when I think fratty, I don't think outdoors.

But as an avid outdoorsman you'll find me more than likely at U of Colorado or Denver. The people there are rad.
I don't either. I'm wondering why the OP is saying that if you like going outside and like hot girls wearing sundresses, you are considered "fratty." I personally think that's just called "being a male."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

scionb4 wrote:

I don't either. I'm wondering why the OP is saying that if you like going outside and like hot girls wearing sundresses, you are considered "fratty." I personally think that's just called "being a male."
Yea... bad wording...

but no big deal.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 pm

scionb4 wrote:

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 pm

rad law wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

If you have to ask, you'll never know.
Try me.

JIP3

New

Post by JIP3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:23 am

ITT: Ambiguity of terminology

Fratty in the OP's meaning is not popped collars, spiked hair, muscle shirts, barbed-wire tattoos, etc, which is popular among fraternity men at most schools outside of the SEC (minus a few notable ACC schools).

People considered fratty in the OP's sense abhor those things.

In my experience, southern frattiness is largely a function of wearing certain brands (Polo, Brooks Brothers, Sperry, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Bill's Khakis) and endorsing certain activities (fishing, skiing, hiking, tailgating, sitting on the porch in rocking chairs, conservative politics).

There are also plenty of wannabes (see: Croakies on anything other than Costas)

Just FYI

edit: Michigan is the antithesis of fratty (despite the fact that Bivouac on State St is a fantastic outfitter). IMO Virginia is probably the closest thing to it amongst top law schools (I happen to be choosing between these two).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:34 am

JIP3 wrote:ITT: Ambiguity of terminology

Fratty in the OP's meaning is not popped collars, spiked hair, muscle shirts, barbed-wire tattoos, etc, which is popular among fraternity men at most schools outside of the SEC (minus a few notable ACC schools).

In my experience, southern frattiness is largely a function of wearing certain brands (Polo, Brooks Brothers, Sperry, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Bill's Khakis) and endorsing certain activities (fishing, skiing, hiking, tailgating, sitting on the porch in rocking chairs, conservative politics).

Just FYI

edit: Michigan is the antithesis of fratty (despite the fact that Bivouac on State St is a fantastic outfitter). IMO Virginia is probably the closest thing to it amongst top law schools (I happen to be choosing between these two).
You just described my perfect weekend. I guess by that definition I am "fratty." Never would have thought that of myself, but it's in my blood I guess. I also act in plays, so that adds variety to my personality. If I was a celebrity, I would definitely wanna chill with guys like Clint Eastwood, not urbanites like Sean Penn.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 am

Just FYI

Fuck you for associating Patty and Mountain Hardware with Frattyness.

I'll MAYBE give you North Face Denali Fleece's, only cause my little sister has one.

(I'm via Michigan)

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 am

unless you go to a sec school + texas and a few others, you'll neverr know

JIP3

New

Post by JIP3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 am

BruceBarr wrote:

Just FYI

I'll MAYBE give you North Face Denali Fleece's, only cause my little sister has one.

(I'm via Michigan)

Hate to burst your bubble, but some people I know (who try really hard) call it Fratagonia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 am

JIP3 wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:

Just FYI

(I'm via Michigan)

Hate to burst your bubble, but some people I know (who try really hard) call it Fratagonia.

Ughhh... they obviously don't do anything outside. Ha... it is expensive as hell though. hahaha makes me laugh. My mom bought me a patty shirt recently (at the time I had NO idea it was a patty shirt). REALLY nice shirt. I took it with me to Ecuador when I was in Amazon. It got super hot so I cut the sleeves off of it... and as I was cutting I realized what the hell I was doing... when I looked at the tag that said "Patagonia". So I had a 100 shirt that looked like a kids pirate Halloween costume.

I was pissed.

JIP3

New

Post by JIP3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 am

BruceBarr wrote:
JIP3 wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:

Just FYI

(I'm via Michigan)

Ughhh... they obviously don't do anything outside. Ha... it is expensive as hell though. hahaha makes me laugh. My mom bought me a patty shirt recently (at the time I had NO idea it was a patty shirt). REALLY nice shirt. I took it with me to Ecuador when I was in Amazon. It got super hot so I cut the sleeves off of it... and as I was cutting I realized what the hell I was doing... when I looked at the tag that said "Patagonia". So I had a 100 shirt that looked like a kids pirate Halloween costume.

I was pissed.
Haha, sure its expensive but you must know that Patagonia shirts were made for ripping off sleeves in the Amazon. All nice outdoors things, clothes or otherwise, are made for abuse.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 pm

bonnieblue wrote:unless you go to a sec school + texas and a few others, you'll neverr know
+1

zenithtonadir

New

Post by zenithtonadir » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
bonnieblue wrote:unless you go to a sec school + texas and a few others, you'll neverr know
+1
+10000000, which is why I'm leaving UF for New England. Southeastern and Northeastern preppy: they're different universes. And don't get me started on the midwest...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 pm

zenithtonadir wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:
+1
+10000000, which is why I'm leaving UF for New England. Southeastern and Northeastern preppy: they're different universes. And don't get me started on the midwest...
Florida is more northeastern than southeastern IMO.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
zenithtonadir wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:
+1
Florida is more northeastern than southeastern IMO.
Depends where you go. I dare you to go to Dixie County and tell someone there that they're northeastern. Boca, much different story.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Texas & Florida, as whole states, should not even be included. There are a couple exceptions, but if you are not from MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, TN, LA, forget it. Some parts of VA, FL, KY, AR, & maybe TX, but that's it.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 am

rad law wrote:Depends where you go. I dare you to go to Dixie County and tell someone there that they're northeastern. Boca, much different story.
I'll give you that, Panhandle areas are somewhat southern. However, I would argue that UF is the LEAST southern (and frat) school in the SEC (albeit, I don't know anything about Mississippi State or Arkansas).
deadpanic wrote:Texas & Florida, as whole states, should not even be included. There are a couple exceptions, but if you are not from MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, TN, LA, forget it. Some parts of VA, FL, KY, AR, & maybe TX, but that's it.
Agreed. Parts of NC are questionable, but the rest is pretty spot on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”