"Fratty" Law Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
lewis louis

Bronze

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by lewis louis » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Texas is pretty fratt, to be honest. Wayfarers on a pair of tri-delt croakies are the norm. I see people fist pumping in class. hallways painted searsucker, and professors wearing PFG's.

Any questions?

Edit: Ole' Miss is real fratty too. Also, on the topic of SMU, they're not very fratty. TCU, on the other hand is probably the frattiest school in Texas, top 10 in the nation. It does not, however, have a law school.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:50 pm

nahgems wrote:I found Santa Clara to fit this definition of "fratty". But that could just be me.
really? why?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:SMU, Texas (parts), SEC (except UF), Emory, Wake is okay, UNC is okay, maybe even Baylor.

UVa isn't bad, but there's a lot of liberals.

UF is terrible, have to disagree. FSU isn't bad.

Whoever said Michigan and Notre Dame is backwards.
I was referring to the undergrad. I don't know about the law school. But considering their greek system has a few thousand kids in it, I would say fratty is decently represented. More so than, say, NYU or Chicago.

Edit: oh and i was referring to Michigan. I with hold comment on Notre Dame. (I'm going with the, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all thing)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 pm

lewis louis wrote:professors wearing PFG's.
+1

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 pm

rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:Emory
Really?
No

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm

A lot of the southern schools also have a lot more married couples, generally. I'm not really sure how that impacts your frat definition (I'll admit to rolling my eyes and moving on, and this is from a chick in a stereotypical sorority at a major southern school), but I'd think a more family-oriented culture would change things up a bit.

Again, not sure if that impacts your whole frat thing.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.

Still have to disagree on Michigan, it's a way liberal atmosphere, and their greek system's numbers are inflated by the multi-cultural fraternities, not frat. Agreed that it's way better than most other T14 with exception of UVa, but isn't even on the map with real southern schools.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.
Are you talking about the law school? If so, it is totally different from the undergrad. And that's a good thing.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Last edited by Stringer Bell on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Ole Miss, Bama, or UGA.

/Thread

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 am

rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:In my opinion, Emory is pretty frat. I have yet to run into any Ed Hardy tees, but everyone I know at Emory is old southern money (like traditional SEC schools), but I have limited experience.
Are you talking about the law school? If so, it is totally different from the undergrad. And that's a good thing.
+1. The law school is pretty isolated from the rest of campus. It is composed of a nice combination of married older students, people who spent a few years in the workforce, and people straight from UG. Because of the distance from the more preppy UG and the mixture of various students from I would wager 20 states, I don't think there is much of a southern conservative preppy vibe. Based on how many Northeastern people there are, I get more of a liberal vibe actually. Also because Emory has such a smaller UG population, the greek life has zero effect on anything that law students do or encounter.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:23 am

gobucks101 wrote:
rad law wrote:
+1. The law school is pretty isolated from the rest of campus. It is composed of a nice combination of married older students, people who spent a few years in the workforce, and people straight from UG. Because of the distance from the more preppy UG and the mixture of various students from I would wager 20 states, I don't think there is much of a southern conservative preppy vibe. Based on how many Northeastern people there are, I get more of a liberal vibe actually. Also because Emory has such a smaller UG population, the greek life has zero effect on anything that law students do or encounter.
I think we might be on different wavelenghts. I would like to go to a school with Southern, conservative, preppy people (not a make it or break it characteristic, however). It doesn't need to look like Carolina Cup every weekend, but after going to a pretty regionally diverse UG, I feel like I get along better with these types.

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 am

Gotcha. Yea Atlanta tends to attract alot of young people from outside the South, so if you are looking for that it won't be very prevalent at Emory. People still dress in nice clothes in warm weather (which we are in desperate need of) but it really pales in comparison to other schools in the south in relation to Greek Life

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misformafia

New

Post by misformafia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 am

W&L. They have Vera Bradley products in the bookstore!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 am

This is a very good question. I will answer it after I finish applying starch to my collar to keep it popped.

clsballer1

New

Post by clsballer1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 am

There are differences between fratty and bro

1. Don't have to be in a frat to be a bro. Being in a frat does not make you a bro. An unusually high percentage of bros are in frats due to the fact that the frat lifestyle is conducive to bro'ing.

2. Being a bro is not about what you wear. Most bro's naturally wear brolo due to its stylishness and comfort. Wannabees equate clothing with brohood because it the only way they can pretend to be bro's.

3. Bro's usually don't really give f*ck about anything. However, they are generally smart and can get good grades, plagued by the itis, prone to crushing brews, slaying sorority chicks(whether in a frat or not), possessing a general unexplained swagger.

4. Fratstars are bro's
edit. fratstars go on month long benders, drink, smoke, and bang more girls than the everyone. Yet they seem content doing these things without advertising them to the world via douchey clothing etc.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 am

If Wofford had a law school, it would be the frat daddy of law schools. There is a difference between Southern Fratting and New England Prep, if you do not believe this, walk inside a SEC law school and tell me if you cannot find someone spitting dip while reading casebooks.
Fratty Law Schools: UVA, Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina. With the exception of FSU, any SEC law school will live up to your fratty ideals. Florida State law is more Fratty than Florida law because the admission requirements are lower.
This is the same case with the Fratty schools that I listed above. Generally, the tougher the admissions, the less fratty. This is due to the complexities of the frat lifestyle (lsats and apps fall within college football season, etc.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HopefulLawStud

New

Post by HopefulLawStud » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 am

What kind of Costa's you wear?
Anyone wear Guy Harvey anymore...? Everyone and their mother wears them down here in SC, I've gotten away from them. Trashy and nasty people are starting to wear them.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am

julesm2200 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:SMU, Texas (parts), SEC (except UF), Emory, Wake is okay, UNC is okay, maybe even Baylor.

UVa isn't bad, but there's a lot of liberals.

UF is terrible, have to disagree. FSU isn't bad.

Whoever said Michigan and Notre Dame is backwards.
I was referring to the undergrad. I don't know about the law school. But considering their greek system has a few thousand kids in it, I would say fratty is decently represented. More so than, say, NYU or Chicago.

Edit: oh and i was referring to Michigan. I with hold comment on Notre Dame. (I'm going with the, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all thing)
Michigan's law school isn't even a little bit fratty. I can think of a handful of people who might fall into that category, but they in no way reflect the feel of the school.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

rad law wrote: Indeed. Outside the T14, I was also thinking some of the big Southern state schools (UGA, Bama, Texas, perhaps UF) and maybe some of the private schools (Wake, Tulane, W&L, maybe even Emory?), but I'm not as familiar with those.
I can speak to undergrad at some of these - Wake, Tulane, Emory all very fratty. By fratty I mean preppy though, as a lot of them seem to have NE transplant students looking for warmer weather and a "new experience" ... UGA, Bama also definitely. I've never been to UT so I don't know, and from what I know about UF I'd say yes, kind of!? Not as much as UGA or Bama though.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am

I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

In no particular order within the tiers:

Tier I

Ole Miss
USC (South Carolina, that is)
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 am

misformafia wrote:W&L. They have Vera Bradley products in the bookstore!
So does USC, though I guess it's already made the list. I didn't even know this was a whole phenomenon other than something that makes me smh until these threads so um, thanks y'all?

To clarify, I mean the original. I'm not really one for being cocky but South Carolina is older. Mmk, last post before coffee.
Last edited by thalassocrat on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm

deadpanic wrote:I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

Tier I

Ole Miss
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell
This is pretty accurate, I'd probably take SC out of Tier I for Tier II. I don't know about LSU being Tier 2, lots of corndog loving wierdos, although Baton Rouge is a pretty decent city. I'd take UF out of Tier III too (Jort capital of the world), maybe throw in Kentucky and Charleston into Tier 3.

Agreed about Wofford. Furman is frat too.

And whoever brought up frat vs. bro, what the hell are you talking about?

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:I was a greek at Ole Miss and would like to throw in my biased, but knowledgeable opinion.

Tier I

Ole Miss
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell
This is pretty accurate, I'd probably take SC out of Tier I for Tier II. I don't know about LSU being Tier 2, lots of corndog loving wierdos, although Baton Rouge is a pretty decent city. I'd take UF out of Tier III too (Jort capital of the world), maybe throw in Kentucky and Charleston into Tier 3.

Stupid as this is I am throwing in my two cents on big schools (best as I can tell). This is pretty general, take it as you will. I left out anything not worth really mentioning:

Tier I: Ole Miss, Bama, UGA, LSU (not really sure)
Tier II: South Carolina, Texas, UNC, Tennessee
Tier III: UVA, W&L, Vanderbilt, SMU
Tier IV: Wake Forest, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, FSU

EDIT: To remove Clemson and Wofford since they don't have law schools
EDIT2: And Auburn
Last edited by tarheel87 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:

Tier I

Ole Miss
UGA
Bama

Tier II

LSU
UT (Tennessee)
UNC
Samford
Mercer
Loyola-New Orleans
W&L

Tier III

FSU
Tulane
Wake
UVA
SMU
Arkansas
UF
Texas
Memphis
Campbell

Stupid as this is I am throwing in my two cents on big schools (best as I can tell). This is pretty general, take it as you will. I left out anything not worth really mentioning:

Tier I: Ole Miss, Bama, UGA, LSU (not really sure)
Tier II: Auburn, South Carolina, Clemson, Texas
Tier III: UNC, Tennesee, UVA, W&L, Wofford
Tier IV: SMU, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, FSU
Are we still talking about law schools? Clemson and Wofford don't have them. Why am I even posting in this thread anyway? :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”