"Fratty" Law Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mr.hands

Silver

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 am

Sounder89 wrote:I've heard George Mason is fratty, in terms of being Conservative and southern. But true bros wouldn't go anywhere other than UVA, Vandy or Duke.

Edit: and UGA
UVA yes
Vandy yes
UGA yes
Duke no

Duke is east coast, most students are from the north. Not a frat scene

And there is no way in hell that George Mason is fratty

Sounder89

New

Post by Sounder89 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I might be misapplying Duke's undergrad reputation to the law school. And George Mason is in the South and generally conservative, no?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 am

Sounder89 wrote:I might be misapplying Duke's undergrad reputation to the law school. And George Mason is in the South and generally conservative, no?
I think they're conservative but not necessarily fratty. I have to admit that my experience w George Masonites is limited, though

Conservatism, percentage of students in Greek life, students style (guys in polos and visors and girls in dresses) are good indicators for frattines in undergrad institutions.

So by that standard W&L and UVA are super fratty. I still think Duke undergrad is more east coast/northeast. It's got a lot of northerners and Asians instead of bros with visors and croakies

Sounder89

New

Post by Sounder89 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 am

mr.hands wrote:
I think they're conservative but not necessarily fratty. I have to admit that my experience w George Masonites is limited, though

Conservatism, percentage of students in Greek life, students style (guys in polos and visors and girls in dresses) are good indicators for frattines in undergrad institutions.

So by that standard W&L and UVA are super fratty. I still think Duke undergrad is more east coast/northeast. It's got a lot of northerners and Asians instead of bros with visors and croakies
Someone needs to calculate an objective "frattiness quotient" for all the law schools, taking into account the following: percentage of students in Greek life, conservatism of student body, percentage of student body wearing polos and croakies on a given day, number of girls who wear Lilly and similar brands on a daily basis, students whose parents hold political offices or are fortune 500 execs, proximity to the Mason Dixon Line, etc etc.

Only then can we settle this debate once and for all :mrgreen:

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:36 am

I think Sperry's are dangerously close to not being considered fratty any more. They've become very mainstream for college students in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I do love my school though.

DaleCooper

New

Post by DaleCooper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Sounder89 wrote:I might be misapplying Duke's undergrad reputation to the law school.
Duke's law school population feels nothing like Duke's undergrad population. It's basically just a cross-section of the types of smart people who can get into a T14 school, with a slight selection bias towards self-actualization and soft factors. More Duke students than not got into a higher-ranked T14 but turned it down because they 1.) wanted the awesome weather and laid-back culture, and 2.) could read employment stats well enough to realize that "T10" is the dumbest breakpoint on TLS. That does create a feel, but it's not that noticeable and I'd say it's closer to "too sane for law school" than "frat".

What hurts Duke Law's rep more than anything is the Tucker Max legacy, but everybody there hated him as well.

I really think the only T14s with significant self-selection factors are Chicago, Virginia, and Northwestern. The rest seem to be pretty similar. Others may disagree, though.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:29 pm

DaleCooper wrote:
Sounder89 wrote:I might be misapplying Duke's undergrad reputation to the law school.
Duke's law school population feels nothing like Duke's undergrad population. It's basically just a cross-section of the types of smart people who can get into a T14 school, with a slight selection bias towards self-actualization and soft factors. More Duke students than not got into a higher-ranked T14 but turned it down because they 1.) wanted the awesome weather and laid-back culture, and 2.) could read employment stats well enough to realize that "T10" is the dumbest breakpoint on TLS. That does create a feel, but it's not that noticeable and I'd say it's closer to "too sane for law school" than "frat".

What hurts Duke Law's rep more than anything is the Tucker Max legacy, but everybody there hated him as well.

I really think the only T14s with significant self-selection factors are Chicago, Virginia, and Northwestern. The rest seem to be pretty similar. Others may disagree, though.
Cornell I would imagine having a self-selection bias. It has lower LSATs than the other T14's and it is in a very isolated environment. I can't imagine too many people choosing it over another T14 unless they had strong ties to NY.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:

Cornell I would imagine having a self-selection bias. It has lower LSATs than the other T14's and it is in a very isolated environment. I can't imagine too many people choosing it over another T14 unless they had strong ties to NY.
Unless it's the only T14 they got into

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaleCooper

New

Post by DaleCooper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 am

moonman157 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:Cornell I would imagine having a self-selection bias. It has lower LSATs than the other T14's and it is in a very isolated environment. I can't imagine too many people choosing it over another T14 unless they had strong ties to NY.
Unless it's the only T14 they got into
Yeah, BVMDNCG are all going to have a decent number of students who only had one T14 admit. I doubt it's really that big of a factor, except in the sense of the other schools not losing cross-admits to UCLA and Texas over weather concerns.

(And the idea that Cornell is always in last place for applicants puts way too much emphasis on U.S. News... my current roommate was set on Cornell until he got into NYU, just like I was set on Duke. We both got into higher ranked schools, as well, but Cornell and Duke were the best fits for us outside of Manhattan, respectively.)

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:22 pm

nebula666 wrote:Image

Guessing this is FSU

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:56 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Image

Guessing this is FSU
Nope UF.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 pm

For the west coast, USC is pretty much in a league of its own, for UG. Considering the law school is on campus, and many law students live fairly close to fraternity row, I guess it would apply to the law school as well. Haven't been to the south yet though so I can't compare the two.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Law school is FaF

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm

jw52

New

Post by jw52 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:15 am

this thread has been gone for too long and deserves a bump

sportsaholic763

New

Post by sportsaholic763 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Currently a UG at a low frat quotient school, but this thread makes up for it.

I think most law schools have too strong a mix of people from everywhere to have as strong regional stereotypes as the UGs do. And that's another unfortunate product of USNEWS rankings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

I'll just throw out there that if you're looking for a "fratty" law school, you need to look outside the T14. Because to a very large extent, these schools all draw from the same population - very intelligent, driven individuals who have dedicated far more of their time to studying for the LSAT than to icing their bros. Even UVA is just the "frattiest" subset of the smartest/nerdiest kids in law school.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 pm

beachbum wrote:I'll just throw out there that if you're looking for a "fratty" law school, you need to look outside the T14. Because to a very large extent, these schools all draw from the same population - very intelligent, driven individuals who have dedicated far more of their time to studying for the LSAT than to icing their bros. Even UVA is just the "frattiest" subset of the smartest/nerdiest kids in law school.
Wait, you're saying someone who joins a frat isn't intelligent, driven or dedicated to studying for the LSAT?

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm

TheThriller wrote:
beachbum wrote:I'll just throw out there that if you're looking for a "fratty" law school, you need to look outside the T14. Because to a very large extent, these schools all draw from the same population - very intelligent, driven individuals who have dedicated far more of their time to studying for the LSAT than to icing their bros. Even UVA is just the "frattiest" subset of the smartest/nerdiest kids in law school.
Wait, you're saying someone who joins a frat isn't intelligent, driven or dedicated to studying for the LSAT?
LULZ! :lol:

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 pm

TheThriller wrote:
I mean, hell, this whole thread is kind of ridiculous. I focused on the T14, but I suspect this applies to the good majority of all law schools. You might find a few more dudes wearing Brooks Brothers or Vineyard Vines at Southern law schools, but in the end trying to determine the "frattiest" law school is like trying to determine the most elite online school. That dog just don't hunt, bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 pm

There's more money in New England than the south. A lot more.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am

Sounder89 wrote:I might be misapplying Duke's undergrad reputation to the law school. And George Mason is in the South and generally conservative, no?
Mason is conservative but most definitely not in the South.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 am

ironbmike wrote:
Former commuter schools are not frat

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
Former commuter schools are not frat
When did I say it was frat? It's not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”