"Fratty" Law Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Grizz

Diamond

"Fratty" Law Schools

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Which schools out there might be considered "fratty?" By this, I don't mean "full of dudes who get drunk all the time and try to hook up," but I do mean a school where many people are:

Preppy, conservative, primarily (though not necessarily) Southern.

eg., Guys who like outdoor sports and wear short shorts, polos, and croakies, and girl who like sundresses, pearls, and Vera Bradley stuff.

edit: clearing up a controversy on a previous thread.
Last edited by Grizz on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Diamond

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:12 pm

SMU

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Sounds like UVA

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

oh hello. I couldn't stand all the douchbaggery on the 'bro' thread. They kept talking about Ed Hardy. I'll come over here now.

In the T14 I would say UVA, Duke, and Michigan (being a state school, there are all types represented and a decent greek presence). Also, just outside of the t14, there is Vandy which is definitely fratty.

Edit: I do think while there is a strong fratty presence in the south, using southern as a qualifier is not the best idea. After all, how would you describe places like Massachusettes, Connecticut, Marthas Vineyard, etc? Old money, all polos all the time, sailing, etc. Very fratty but not very southern. Or conservative.
Last edited by holborn on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Minus the "southern," Notre Dame. I live near - therefore I know for sure. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

I found Santa Clara to fit this definition of "fratty". But that could just be me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:25 pm

julesm2200 wrote:oh hello. I couldn't stand all the douchbaggery on the 'bro' thread. They kept talking about Ed Hardy. I'll come over here now.

In the T14 I would say UVA, Duke, and Michigan (being a state school, there are all types represented and a decent greek presence). Also, just outside of the t14, there is Vandy which is definitely fratty.

Edit: I do think while there is a strong fratty presence in the south, using southern as a qualifier is not the best idea. After all, how would you describe places like Massachusettes, Connecticut, Marthas Vineyard, etc? Old money, all polos all the time, sailing, etc. Very fratty but not very southern. Or conservative.
I would say fratty does not necessarily mean Southern, but fratty for me pretty much always equates with espousing some sort of conservative values. Taxation and govt. programs don't seem very frat.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm

rad law wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:oh hello. I couldn't stand all the douchbaggery on the 'bro' thread. They kept talking about Ed Hardy. I'll come over here now.

I would say fratty does not necessarily mean Southern, but fratty for me pretty much always equates with espousing some sort of conservative values. Taxation and govt. programs don't seem very frat.
Agreed. But really, your use of conservative is really a nice way of saying wealthy. And while many rich people are on the fiscally conservative side, not all are. Aka my old money new england example.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 pm

julesm2200 wrote: Agreed. But really, your use of conservative is really a nice way of saying wealthy. And while many rich people are on the fiscally conservative side, not all are. Aka my old money new england example.
Perhaps they are New England preppy (also cool) but not frat? I don't really know, I've never really thought about it this much before haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 pm

I've pondered it occasionally. I mean, preppy and frat can't really be seperated. And perhaps there are 2 different types of fratty. the southern conservative fratty and the "inspiried by new england preppy" fratty. I would say both have equal merit.

Regardless, the search for the frattiest law school continues.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:40 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I've pondered it occasionally. I mean, preppy and frat can't really be seperated. And perhaps there are 2 different types of fratty. the southern conservative fratty and the "inspiried by new england preppy" fratty. I would say both have equal merit.

Regardless, the search for the frattiest law school continues.
Indeed. Outside the T14, I was also thinking some of the big Southern state schools (UGA, Bama, Texas, perhaps UF) and maybe some of the private schools (Wake, Tulane, W&L, maybe even Emory?), but I'm not as familiar with those.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Oh definitly UGA and Bama. Texas I'm not too sure, and I'm leaning towards no. Austin (and Texas itself for that matter) don't strike me as very fratty, just very southern.

And I've heard W&L is extremely fratty. Like 99% of their undergrad is greek. (I perhaps just made up that statistic. But I'm pretty sure I'm right).

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

rad law wrote:Which schools out there might be considered "fratty?" By this, I don't mean "full of dudes who get drunk all the time and try to hook up," but I do mean a school where many people are:

eg., Guys who like outdoor sports and wear short shorts, polos, and croakies, and girl who like sundresses, pearls, and Vera Bradley stuff.

I gotta ask, what the hell are croakies? Maybe I'm just old.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:46 pm

UGA, Bama, Ole Miss...SEC schools in general + UNC and UVA.

Essentially, it will be the same schools as the fratty undergrad schools.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:46 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
rad law wrote:Which schools out there might be considered "fratty?" By this, I don't mean "full of dudes who get drunk all the time and try to hook up," but I do mean a school where many people are:

I gotta ask, what the hell are croakies? Maybe I'm just old.

http://croakies.com/

You wouldn't want your ray bans to fall off while tailgating would you?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:48 pm

lawhawk wrote:UGA, Bama, Ole Miss...SEC schools in general + UNC and UVA.

eh....unc ug is less fratty than sec schools and UNC law to a much lesser degree than its undergrad

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 pm

najumobi wrote:

eh....unc ug is less fratty than sec schools and UNC law to a much lesser degree than its undergrad

This is true, but parts of it can be very frat (P. Bob's, Top of the Hill, etc). I can tell you this as I am currently in undergrad there. Can't really vouch for the law school though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:55 pm

julesm2200 wrote: http://croakies.com/

You wouldn't want your ray bans to fall off while tailgating would you?
Plus, it is important to look real frat in class with your Costa Del Mars hanging off your neck. Nothing says "I like to fish" and possibly "I like to tailgate, but I say I fish" better than Costa Del Mars haha

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Thirteen wrote:SMU
TITCR

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Outside of the T14.... Florida State and UF. Take it from someone who went there. I'm not like that at all and I couldn't seem to get away from it. iiick.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

lawhawk wrote:
najumobi wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/p ... &p=2374590

This is true, but parts of it can be very frat (P. Bob's, Top of the Hill, etc). I can tell you this as I am currently in undergrad there. Can't really vouch for the law school though.
haha...nice unc undergrad too, though not living in chapel hill anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Someone's been spending a bit too much time on Oldrow. But anyways whoever said SEC+UNC+UVA is generally correct, I'd probably include SMU and Texas too.

EDIT: as a UNC greek I take offense in those who said UNC isn't fratty haha

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:37 pm

SMU, Texas (parts), SEC (except UF), Emory, Wake is okay, UNC is okay, maybe even Baylor.

UVa isn't bad, but there's a lot of liberals.

UF is terrible, have to disagree. FSU isn't bad.

Whoever said Michigan and Notre Dame is backwards.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Someone's been spending a bit too much time on Oldrow. But anyways whoever said SEC+UNC+UVA is generally correct, I'd probably include SMU and Texas too.

EDIT: as a UNC greek I take offense in those who said UNC isn't fratty haha
I'm not a huge fan, but I am in one of their pictures (which I didn't submit, mind you).

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Emory
Really? I know their undergrad population at least is generally liberal, not Southern, and Ed Hardy influenced.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”