UCLA ASD

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby jay115 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I had a decent time - the reception was a tad awkward, but the glass of merlot helped. I was glad there was tons of food.

mbv
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby mbv » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:28 pm

existenz wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
existenz wrote:Alright JeriC, were you the guy dressed up as Prince William? lol

Someone was dressed like Prince William?

There was one guy looked like old money, suit and tie, stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the folks with jeans and button-ups. Half-expected him to have an English accent.

Image


I'm pretty sure I was talking to a guy dressed in a suit like that. He said he had just come from giving a meeting at work, so you know, probably not his everyday attire.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:00 pm

I had a lot of fun, but I totally suck at meet and greet receptions like that lol. I only meet a couple of people because it was such a large event, but I wonder if anyone I met is on TLS. I was in a yellow/tan short sleeve collar shirt with thin horizontal stripes. Anyone meet me?

(This feels like a sad, desperate Craigslist missed connection ad lol)

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby weee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 pm

I honestly don't know if I did/did not meet anyone from TLS but I must say I was surprised at the ridiculously large %age of USC students/grads that were in my Q&A group, it seemed like at least half.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby jay115 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 am

Jericwithers wrote:I had a lot of fun, but I totally suck at meet and greet receptions like that lol. I only meet a couple of people because it was such a large event, but I wonder if anyone I met is on TLS. I was in a yellow/tan short sleeve collar shirt with thin horizontal stripes. Anyone meet me?

(This feels like a sad, desperate Craigslist missed connection ad lol)


i was one of the only dudes in the liberal arts colleges group... i also suck at massive meet and greet receptions, haha. i talked to one nice current student and ditched to go to the bars with some people. ugh, i hated those first few weeks of freshman year when i didnt know anyone - ive already submitted my application to weyburn, so hopefully its a good time.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:12 am

I was in the out of state group. I went to the Jay Leno show today, and I made it on TV so thats pretty cool lol. Im behind the Blackhawk with the gold medal.

<--- Easily impressed.

User avatar
sandiecohen47
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:09 am

jay115 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I had a lot of fun, but I totally suck at meet and greet receptions like that lol. I only meet a couple of people because it was such a large event, but I wonder if anyone I met is on TLS. I was in a yellow/tan short sleeve collar shirt with thin horizontal stripes. Anyone meet me?

(This feels like a sad, desperate Craigslist missed connection ad lol)


i was one of the only dudes in the liberal arts colleges group... i also suck at massive meet and greet receptions, haha. i talked to one nice current student and ditched to go to the bars with some people. ugh, i hated those first few weeks of freshman year when i didnt know anyone - ive already submitted my application to weyburn, so hopefully its a good time.


Jay! I was in the liberal arts group and know who you are! Ha! That's great. I hope you had fun at the bars! I, too, am not great at the meet and greet. Factor in the time difference and lack of sleep, I was borderline falling asleep at the reception.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby jay115 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 am

sandiecohen47 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
i was one of the only dudes in the liberal arts colleges group... i also suck at massive meet and greet receptions, haha. i talked to one nice current student and ditched to go to the bars with some people. ugh, i hated those first few weeks of freshman year when i didnt know anyone - ive already submitted my application to weyburn, so hopefully its a good time.


Jay! I was in the liberal arts group and know who you are! Ha! That's great. I hope you had fun at the bars! I, too, am not great at the meet and greet. Factor in the time difference and lack of sleep, I was borderline falling asleep at the reception.


yes you're the other guy who is interested in public interest! haha awesome

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 am

jay115 wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
i was one of the only dudes in the liberal arts colleges group... i also suck at massive meet and greet receptions, haha. i talked to one nice current student and ditched to go to the bars with some people. ugh, i hated those first few weeks of freshman year when i didnt know anyone - ive already submitted my application to weyburn, so hopefully its a good time.


Jay! I was in the liberal arts group and know who you are! Ha! That's great. I hope you had fun at the bars! I, too, am not great at the meet and greet. Factor in the time difference and lack of sleep, I was borderline falling asleep at the reception.


yes you're the other guy who is interested in public interest! haha awesome


True love?

User avatar
sandiecohen47
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:51 am

jay115 wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
i was one of the only dudes in the liberal arts colleges group... i also suck at massive meet and greet receptions, haha. i talked to one nice current student and ditched to go to the bars with some people. ugh, i hated those first few weeks of freshman year when i didnt know anyone - ive already submitted my application to weyburn, so hopefully its a good time.


Jay! I was in the liberal arts group and know who you are! Ha! That's great. I hope you had fun at the bars! I, too, am not great at the meet and greet. Factor in the time difference and lack of sleep, I was borderline falling asleep at the reception.


yes you're the other guy who is interested in public interest! haha awesome


I'm actually a lady. My name is very deceptive. Sorry about that. But from your profile and from your description, I think I know who you are. I was the only woman there with my hair color... Anyway, you asked some great questions. I hope you enjoyed UCLA?

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby jay115 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 am

sandiecohen47 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
i was one of the only dudes in the liberal arts colleges group... i also suck at massive meet and greet receptions, haha. i talked to one nice current student and ditched to go to the bars with some people. ugh, i hated those first few weeks of freshman year when i didnt know anyone - ive already submitted my application to weyburn, so hopefully its a good time.


Jay! I was in the liberal arts group and know who you are! Ha! That's great. I hope you had fun at the bars! I, too, am not great at the meet and greet. Factor in the time difference and lack of sleep, I was borderline falling asleep at the reception.


yes you're the other guy who is interested in public interest! haha awesome


I'm actually a lady. My name is very deceptive. Sorry about that. But from your profile and from your description, I think I know who you are. I was the only woman there with my hair color... Anyway, you asked some great questions. I hope you enjoyed UCLA?


oh haha there are so many ladies! but yes, i had a blast at UCLA - did ASD seal the deal for you?

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 am

weee wrote:I honestly don't know if I did/did not meet anyone from TLS but I must say I was surprised at the ridiculously large %age of USC students/grads that were in my Q&A group, it seemed like at least half.

I'm guessing you were in my group, then. The SoCal group.

User avatar
sandiecohen47
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 am

yes you're the other guy who is interested in public interest! haha awesome[/quote]

I'm actually a lady. My name is very deceptive. Sorry about that. But from your profile and from your description, I think I know who you are. I was the only woman there with my hair color... Anyway, you asked some great questions. I hope you enjoyed UCLA?[/quote]

oh haha there are so many ladies! but yes, i had a blast at UCLA - did ASD seal the deal for you?[/quote][/quote]

The ASD was awesome but I just heard last week that I got into Berkeley. I'm going to check that out later this week and during their ASW before I decide. What I want to do is a very specific kind of PI law. So, I have to weigh my options. But, seriously, I loved it. The weather is amazing right now, to boot.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 am

Jericwithers wrote:I was in the out of state group. I went to the Jay Leno show today, and I made it on TV so thats pretty cool lol. Im behind the Blackhawk with the gold medal.

<--- Easily impressed.

That's cool. You're making the most of your LA trip. Just so you know, the weather is pretty much like this 90% of the time. Gets a tad hotter in the summer, and there's rainy days in winter.

I answered one of the questions in Kang's mock class, then shut up so as not to look like a gunner.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:45 am

I seem to be the only OOS student on TLS. I suck.

I've really enjoyed LA and I would love to live here. I slept through the earthquake too lol. I found it interesting that only 31% of students were OOS, but its still different for me than UT since I wouldn't be apart of the 65%+. I didn't like how they made the financial aid and career services program at the same time, as I would have liked to hear both. I did appreciate the open bar, and the mock class was really interesting and fun. The building was nice, and the library was really spacious. Interim Dean was cool, and Schwartz proved himself as a cool DoA. They really emphasized the lifestyle in LA, and are really the only school I would actually considering going to expecting to truly enjoy the lifestyle.

Just thought I would put all my thoughts out there, so I can come back to them later when I am picking schools lol.

Also if anyone was in the career services presentation I was the guy who asked about how OCI worked (the most important thing even). You're welcome :wink:

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby weee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:04 am

existenz wrote:
weee wrote:I honestly don't know if I did/did not meet anyone from TLS but I must say I was surprised at the ridiculously large %age of USC students/grads that were in my Q&A group, it seemed like at least half.

I'm guessing you were in my group, then. The SoCal group.


group #3, considering the large number of SoCal people that applied, I would venture to guess that "SoCal Group" might not be specific enough.

I didn't actually bother to meet anyone except the two people who sat next to me during mock class since I had a feeling I'd probably never see most of them again. It just happened that one of the Q&A leaders had similar academic interests with me so we were able to talk extensively at the mixer, and definitely sold me more on UCLA than before I attended the event. I missed the Career Services event but he filled me in on the general details of the OCI process so I didn't feel too deprived.

To be fair when the event is just a few hours I was more set on learning about the school than getting to know some people I may never see again. All that being said, unless something drastic changes I plan to attend the second ASD as well, and I suspect more people there will be sure about where they are going to go or at least have it narrowed down a lot more than at this one. Anyone else planning on attending ASD #2?

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby jay115 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:08 am

Jericwithers wrote:I seem to be the only OOS student on TLS. I suck.

I've really enjoyed LA and I would love to live here. I slept through the earthquake too lol. I found it interesting that only 31% of students were OOS, but its still different for me than UT since I wouldn't be apart of the 65%+. I didn't like how they made the financial aid and career services program at the same time, as I would have liked to hear both. I did appreciate the open bar, and the mock class was really interesting and fun. The building was nice, and the library was really spacious. Interim Dean was cool, and Schwartz proved himself as a cool DoA. They really emphasized the lifestyle in LA, and are really the only school I would actually considering going to expecting to truly enjoy the lifestyle.

Just thought I would put all my thoughts out there, so I can come back to them later when I am picking schools lol.

Also if anyone was in the career services presentation I was the guy who asked about how OCI worked (the most important thing even). You're welcome :wink:


haha i went to the financial aid presentation and it was pretty cut and dry stuff we already know - one new thing i did learn was that UCLA's LRAP adds on to the federal LRAP program; in other words, what the federal LRAP won't pay for UCLA will. If you make less than 55K, you're covered 100%. Anything over that and you'll be covered 60% by UCLA's LRAP. I didn't want to sound like a dick asking about upper limits for UCLA's LRAP, but I assume that one exists.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 am

jay115 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I seem to be the only OOS student on TLS. I suck.

I've really enjoyed LA and I would love to live here. I slept through the earthquake too lol. I found it interesting that only 31% of students were OOS, but its still different for me than UT since I wouldn't be apart of the 65%+. I didn't like how they made the financial aid and career services program at the same time, as I would have liked to hear both. I did appreciate the open bar, and the mock class was really interesting and fun. The building was nice, and the library was really spacious. Interim Dean was cool, and Schwartz proved himself as a cool DoA. They really emphasized the lifestyle in LA, and are really the only school I would actually considering going to expecting to truly enjoy the lifestyle.

Just thought I would put all my thoughts out there, so I can come back to them later when I am picking schools lol.

Also if anyone was in the career services presentation I was the guy who asked about how OCI worked (the most important thing even). You're welcome :wink:


haha i went to the financial aid presentation and it was pretty cut and dry stuff we already know - one new thing i did learn was that UCLA's LRAP adds on to the federal LRAP program; in other words, what the federal LRAP won't pay for UCLA will. If you make less than 55K, you're covered 100%. Anything over that and you'll be covered 60% by UCLA's LRAP. I didn't want to sound like a dick asking about upper limits for UCLA's LRAP, but I assume that one exists.


LRAPs are important but are never clearly explained. UT's confused me to no end. I assume that all LRAPs are starting to coincide with the federal program now. Thanks for the heads up.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 am

weee wrote:
existenz wrote:
weee wrote:I honestly don't know if I did/did not meet anyone from TLS but I must say I was surprised at the ridiculously large %age of USC students/grads that were in my Q&A group, it seemed like at least half.

I'm guessing you were in my group, then. The SoCal group.


group #3, considering the large number of SoCal people that applied, I would venture to guess that "SoCal Group" might not be specific enough.

I didn't actually bother to meet anyone except the two people who sat next to me during mock class since I had a feeling I'd probably never see most of them again. It just happened that one of the Q&A leaders had similar academic interests with me so we were able to talk extensively at the mixer, and definitely sold me more on UCLA than before I attended the event. I missed the Career Services event but he filled me in on the general details of the OCI process so I didn't feel too deprived.

Yep, that was also my group. I spoke with the same Q&A leader at the mixer. Good guy, very honest. Right now I'm torn between UCLA and Michigan. UCLA wins on location, Michigan wins on ranking. Tough decisions ahead.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby weee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 am

existenz wrote:
weee wrote:
existenz wrote:
weee wrote:I honestly don't know if I did/did not meet anyone from TLS but I must say I was surprised at the ridiculously large %age of USC students/grads that were in my Q&A group, it seemed like at least half.

I'm guessing you were in my group, then. The SoCal group.


group #3, considering the large number of SoCal people that applied, I would venture to guess that "SoCal Group" might not be specific enough.

I didn't actually bother to meet anyone except the two people who sat next to me during mock class since I had a feeling I'd probably never see most of them again. It just happened that one of the Q&A leaders had similar academic interests with me so we were able to talk extensively at the mixer, and definitely sold me more on UCLA than before I attended the event. I missed the Career Services event but he filled me in on the general details of the OCI process so I didn't feel too deprived.

Yep, that was also my group. I spoke with the same Q&A leader at the mixer. Good guy, very honest. Right now I'm torn between UCLA and Michigan. UCLA wins on location, Michigan wins on ranking. Tough decisions ahead.


Sounds familiar...

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:19 am

weee wrote:Sounds familiar...

Haha, well I see you're having the same dilemma.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby weee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:47 am

I got the invite for ASD #2 in the mail today(already registered like yesterday) and I like the layout of the schedule better, hope they still have beer though, Dean Schwartz mentioned it being an outdoor BBQ this time if I recall correctly

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby existenz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Thought I'd bump this since we have the second UCLA day coming up on 4/18. I'll be there, I want to give UCLA another look-over before making my final decision.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby itsirtou » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm torn between UCLA and UVa, so I'll be at the ASD tomorrow! I'll be wearing a coral sweater with a white shirt underneath -- say hi if you see me!

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UCLA ASD

Postby existenz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 pm

itsirtou wrote:I'm torn between UCLA and UVa, so I'll be at the ASD tomorrow! I'll be wearing a coral sweater with a white shirt underneath -- say hi if you see me!

I'm just imagining the awkwardness of approaching the wrong girl and asking if she is "itsirtou".




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest