Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
gahthelaw

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 am

musketeerlady wrote:
I hope Dean Z is not a super fast runner, it's gonna be embarrassing to be out-run by her lol I'm jealous of your lovely weather. It has been freezing in New York, and being from the tropics I was so pained to run outside. I'm really looking forward to the midwest's fresh air - definitely something that New York doesn't have much.

+1 i really want to go since i'd try to get a run in anyway and it seems like a nice opp to hang out with dean Z and other people, but i'm not exactly a marathoner -- don't know if i want to shame myself in front of potential future classmates and Dean Z!

apparentlymargarita

Postby apparentlymargarita » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:54 am

sophia wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:Registered for the later date... so flippin excited!

Same here. Any other second-weekend people?

I registered for the later date too! I can't wait! :D

Just registered for the second weekend! I'm really looking forward to it, but I have a test that Thursday and barring a miracle I'm probably going to have to get there late :(

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 am

ksumi wrote:
sophia wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:Registered for the later date... so flippin excited!

Same here. Any other second-weekend people?

I registered for the later date too! I can't wait! :D

Just registered for the second weekend! I'm really looking forward to it, but I have a test that Thursday and barring a miracle I'm probably going to have to get there late :(

yayay i hope i get to meet you all!

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:54 am

i haven't gotten my packet yet, but i'm planning on the earlier one!

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 am

I'm going to the second weekend. Still need to buy my tickets though.

Edit: Just bought my tickets. $165 from BWI. Also rented a car for $100 so I could explore some.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eigenvalue A

Postby Eigenvalue A » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 am

I'll probably be going to the second one too. I just finished perusing through the Admitted Students site, and I'm now 100x more excited about visiting Michigan!

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:21 am

nixxers wrote:
yayay i hope i get to meet you all!

We should plan a TLS meet-up. It looks like Thursday night could be an early night. (Last activity is an auction at 7 pm)

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 am

Just registered for the early one, sharing a room Thursday and Friday night.

I run consistently, but I feel like I must train for this early morning jog so I don't embarrass myself!!! :shock: lol

stephhu

Postby stephhu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Hey All,

I'm there from Thursday-Sunday for the 2nd weekend. Let's meet up!

Also, question. Anyone know where we are staying? The $20/night accommodation is for where? I didn't see information about where the overnight stay is actually at, only after I paid for it I got a confirmation email saying "you are paying_, which is a great deal considering how much fun it will be"....

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 pm

stephhu wrote:Hey All,

Also, question. Anyone know where we are staying? The $20/night accommodation is for where? I didn't see information about where the overnight stay is actually at, only after I paid for it I got a confirmation email saying "you are paying_, which is a great deal considering how much fun it will be"....

I think they contract it with hotels around campus, from what I've read. They'll presumably let us know either shortly beforehand or at check-in.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 pm

I'd imagine like the Holiday Inn. If you managed to pull off Campus Inn, I'd be jealous. I guess they'll have shuttles back and forth?...

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 pm

starstruck393 wrote:

I'd imagine like the Holiday Inn. If you managed to pull off Campus Inn, I'd be jealous. I guess they'll have shuttles back and forth?...

they must. is there anything within walking distance?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

they must. is there anything within walking distance?

The League has a few rooms I think, and there's like the Belltower Inn or something. I'm not really sure how they organize it. But there's not much in walking distance (Campus Inn's a little far), I couldn't imagine more than 30 or 40 rooms that are close...

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:01 pm

just booked my flight for the first ASW.

if anyone would like to share a cab from the airport, PM me. I'm getting in just before 3PM on Thursday.
Last edited by gahthelaw on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bottomshelf

Postby bottomshelf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm

I'll be there the first weekend but haven't booked my flight yet.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm going the first weekend, but I won't get in until late Thursday night. :( Is there anyone else who gets in around 9:00?

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:59 pm

I signed up for the first weekend, but now that my wife and I are trying to book travel, we're having difficulty finding hotel options close enough to the law school that we wouldn't need to rent a car. Any ideas?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:26 pm

mayosmith wrote:I signed up for the first weekend, but now that my wife and I are trying to book travel, we're having difficulty finding hotel options close enough to the law school that we wouldn't need to rent a car. Any ideas?

Well, the only options I can think of are like the Belltower Hotel and the Michigan League. There isn't much within walking distance of campus. The Campus Inn is kind of in range, but the price difference would likely outweigh the cost of a rental car. Maybe someone should call admissions, but I have to believe that they'll have buses for transportation. Besides, even if they made you drive, there'd be no place to park. So there have to be buses. So unless you want the freedom to walk to the Law Quad outside of the normal hours of the ASW, I don't think you'd have to worry...

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 am

I'm registered for the second weekend. Anyone wanna...like...compile a list of who's going to which one?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:12 am

msoftceo wrote:I'm registered for the second weekend. Anyone wanna...like...compile a list of who's going to which one?

That takes initiative :(

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:06 pm

First weekend people... come in a day early (on Wednesday), so that you can watch the semifinals of the Campbell Moot Court competition that evening! It's our intra-school competition (which for top schools is considered pretty prestigious), and you'd be seeing the best 4 out of the 74 teams of 2Ls and 3Ls who originally competed. The judges are some of our best con law and crim pro faculty, so you'll see plenty of fireworks! The faculty take this seriously because the finals are judged by federal Circuit Court judges, and the faculty want to be sure to get the best possible representatives of Michigan Law in front of the federal judges.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:I signed up for the first weekend, but now that my wife and I are trying to book travel, we're having difficulty finding hotel options close enough to the law school that we wouldn't need to rent a car. Any ideas?

Well, the only options I can think of are like the Belltower Hotel and the Michigan League. There isn't much within walking distance of campus. The Campus Inn is kind of in range, but the price difference would likely outweigh the cost of a rental car. Maybe someone should call admissions, but I have to believe that they'll have buses for transportation. Besides, even if they made you drive, there'd be no place to park. So there have to be buses. So unless you want the freedom to walk to the Law Quad outside of the normal hours of the ASW, I don't think you'd have to worry...

Care to elaborate on this? I am not utilizing the school-sponsored hotels, and I am definitely renting a car so I can look at housing options and generally just see more of Ann Arbor (having never been in this area of the country). Is this going to pose a problem in coming to events on campus?

Also, a more general question--how is the parking for law students during the semester? I would probably be looking at housing a good distance from campus, so driving in every day would be the plan.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm

toolshed wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Care to elaborate on this? I am not utilizing the school-sponsored hotels, and I am definitely renting a car so I can look at housing options and generally just see more of Ann Arbor (having never been in this area of the country). Is this going to pose a problem in coming to events on campus?

Also, a more general question--how is the parking for law students during the semester? I would probably be looking at housing a good distance from campus, so driving in every day would be the plan.

The campus is notoriously not car friendly. There are no law school lots, let alone lots for students of any kind close (unless you're disabled, in which case you can get a pass). There are some city structures around, where you can park I guess. The closest would probably be on South Forest; there will probably be some spots available, and it's a 5-10 min walk. You can also try street parking. Some have more optimistic opinions on its availability, but I wouldn't count on it. My experience is that it's never available when you're running late and need it.

So, my point wasn't so much that no one would be able to find a spot at ASW, but there certainly wouldn't be enough spots close to campus if a majority of the ASW attendees wanted to drive.

For going to class, I would honestly look into the bus schedule. I'll be living a few miles away, but there's a bus stop right outside of my apartment complex. A2 has a good bus system, and it's free when you show a student ID. Like I said, there was a 1L talking about being able to find street parking fairly easily, but it's a hassle and I really wouldn't want to have to rely on street parking to get to class everyday. There will be days you're running late and you will get burned, it's just a reality of A2...

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Any marrieds still looking for lodging? I just booked a room at the First Street Garden Inn, the closest thing to the LS I could find that wasn't outrageously priced or completely booked. The owner was incredibly nice and even offered to drive us to the school if the weather is bad. We might have booked their last room for the first weekend, but I'm not sure; worth a try: firststreetgardeninn.com

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Does anyone have the dates for each session? I'm at work and don't have my Michigan ID. I'm hoping to go to the earlier one.

I'm excited. I've never really been to the midwest. I'm kind of afraid of people being too nice... :wink:

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”