Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
awesomepossum

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby awesomepossum » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:22 am

tralinds wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:well, here in the bell tower but can't sleep, so what better than to ramble on TLS about how AMAZING michigan looks so far. ann arbor is pretty cool, and the students are ALL nice, and more importantly--they are all HAPPY!!

auction was lots of fun. plenty of free drinks. though i guess that doesn't happen quite as much when prospies aren't around.

well--to any others here for the weekend, in the thread's tradition of identifying clothing, tomorrow, i'll be proudly wearing my purple northwestern t-shirt with hebrew lettering. come over and say hi!

Just take it with a grain of salt, okay? I generally like it here, but last night's fun and hilarity happens about twice a year, and I know for a fact that NOT everyone is happy (and most of the not-happy people are probably not running around trying to get 0Ls to come to Mich, so it makes sense that everyone you've interacted with seems nice/happy).

we lock the meanies in the basement for the duration of preview.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:14 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
tralinds wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:well, here in the bell tower but can't sleep, so what better than to ramble on TLS about how AMAZING michigan looks so far. ann arbor is pretty cool, and the students are ALL nice, and more importantly--they are all HAPPY!!

auction was lots of fun. plenty of free drinks. though i guess that doesn't happen quite as much when prospies aren't around.

well--to any others here for the weekend, in the thread's tradition of identifying clothing, tomorrow, i'll be proudly wearing my purple northwestern t-shirt with hebrew lettering. come over and say hi!

Just take it with a grain of salt, okay? I generally like it here, but last night's fun and hilarity happens about twice a year, and I know for a fact that NOT everyone is happy (and most of the not-happy people are probably not running around trying to get 0Ls to come to Mich, so it makes sense that everyone you've interacted with seems nice/happy).

we lock the meanies in the basement for the duration of preview.

I knew that false wall they put in had to be hiding more than just construction equipment!!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:30 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Are we wearing anything to signify us as TLSers? I think the suggestion for last ASW was a little "t" on your name tag. How'd that work out? Are we all doing the same?

I look like my avatar, but with a beard. 8)

This was verified today. I did a double-take. Nice meeting you!

Hope everyone else is enjoying ASW. I turned in early last night but will be out and about this evening...but not on the skating rink. I don't know what "bar night" entails, but I want to check out Ashley's. Hope to see some people there.

EDIT: Looks like "Bar Night" is being held at Rick's. Guess I'll do both.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:29 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Are we wearing anything to signify us as TLSers? I think the suggestion for last ASW was a little "t" on your name tag. How'd that work out? Are we all doing the same?

Hope everyone else is enjoying ASW. I turned in early last night but will be out and about this evening...but not on the skating rink. I don't know what "bar night" entails, but I want to check out Ashley's. Hope to see some people there.

Ashley's is a lot of fun :P Had a beer too many there last night as I'm sure emrose and tamlyric will attest, but I'm game for round two... I'm definitely looking forward to bar night at Rick's too. :D haha I've also met soooo many TLS'ers here that it's borderline hilarious. So far so good though, everyone has been so nice and a lot of fun ^_^

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 pm

snickersnicker wrote:

Snickersnicker, were you at the phid house today on a tour led by a short girl with a red plaid shirt?? I was on a tour with a guy who looked exactly like your avatar with a beard, but I was too embarrassed to be like "sooooo....weird question time.... do you ever post on an online forum called top-law-schools dot com, under the alias 'snicker snicker'????" :-p (cause you know...if it were someone else....woulda been a little awkward)

(If you were, I was the girl with glasses, longish dark blond wavy hair, a blue scarf and a black coat. "you"(?) held the door for me a couple times, very gentlemanly :))

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm

tralinds wrote:Just take it with a grain of salt, okay? I generally like it here, but last night's fun and hilarity happens about twice a year, and I know for a fact that NOT everyone is happy (and most of the not-happy people are probably not running around trying to get 0Ls to come to Mich, so it makes sense that everyone you've interacted with seems nice/happy).

fair point. i am not naive enough to think that all students at any given law school could all possibly be happy (despite over-excitedly previously stating just that), yet the vastly predominant overall impression I've been getting is that most people are extremely happy to be here.

that said, i would be extremely interested (and grateful) if you could perhaps pm me, or somehow connect me with some of those students you say are unhappy, because i would very much like to know why that is, so i can best determine if michigan would be a good fit for me.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

Ashley's is pretty fun.. Amazing selection of Beers. PM me if you want to go get a drink there before Rick's.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 pm

nixxers wrote:Snickersnicker, were you at the phid house today on a tour led by a short girl with a red plaid shirt?? I was on a tour with a guy who looked exactly like your avatar with a beard, but I was too embarrassed to be like "sooooo....weird question time.... do you ever post on an online forum called top-law-schools dot com, under the alias 'snicker snicker'????" :-p (cause you know...if it were someone else....woulda been a little awkward)

(If you were, I was the girl with glasses, longish dark blond wavy hair, a blue scarf and a black coat. "you"(?) held the door for me a couple times, very gentlemanly :))

Yeah, I'm curious how you've met so many TLSers. I haven't really felt like asking people. I have had my suspicions though. Like I feel like I might have talked to you... :D

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Bronte wrote:
nixxers wrote:Snickersnicker, were you at the phid house today on a tour led by a short girl with a red plaid shirt?? I was on a tour with a guy who looked exactly like your avatar with a beard, but I was too embarrassed to be like "sooooo....weird question time.... do you ever post on an online forum called top-law-schools dot com, under the alias 'snicker snicker'????" :-p (cause you know...if it were someone else....woulda been a little awkward)

Yeah, I'm curious how you've met so many TLSers. I haven't really felt like asking people. I have had my suspicions though. Like I feel like I might have talked to you... :D

Maybe we need some kind of impromptu TLS meetup tonight?

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 pm

nixxers wrote:(If you were, I was the girl with glasses, longish dark blond wavy hair, a blue scarf and a black coat. "you"(?) held the door for me a couple times, very gentlemanly :))

jumping in: your description is very much like the girl i was sitting next to during the mock class this morning. name starts with an A, i' pretty sure. yes? no? i'm not too gentlemanly. lol.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:
nixxers wrote:(If you were, I was the girl with glasses, longish dark blond wavy hair, a blue scarf and a black coat. "you"(?) held the door for me a couple times, very gentlemanly :))

jumping in: your description is very much like the girl i was sitting next to during the mock class this morning. name starts with an A, i' pretty sure. yes? no? i'm not too gentlemanly. lol.

lol! I don't think so, I was actually sitting next to tangerine gleam on one side and there wasn't anyone on my other side. ALAS. my name starts with K, last name with A. :)

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Bronte wrote:

lawl. probably? now I'm curious about who you are.... let's see

-emrose and tamlyric invited me out for a beverage after my pilates invite (that no one took me up on btw...lame)
-rockchalk86 used the words "v10" "v100" and "biglaw" so i just asked buahaha
-ankit described himself to me
-tangerine gleam pm'd me his real name
-snickersnicker remains unverified
-i feel like i might have met more.... but maybe not...

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 pm

emrose wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Maybe we need some kind of impromptu TLS meetup tonight?

credited

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Also: Sorry to spam the thread but, my taxi is leaving the Michigan League to go to DTW at 1pm tomorrow. If anyone wants in, PM me. :)

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 pm

nixxers wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:

lol! I don't think so, I was actually sitting next to tangerine gleam on one side and there wasn't anyone on my other side. ALAS. my name starts with K, last name with A. :)

oh wellz. i ull be at bar night, id love to meet everyone.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Haha, yes, that was definitely me. You wouldn't have been the first person to be like "sup snickersnicker?" You had a blue/green/teal-ish cardigan on, yeah? Or were you the other girl on that tour? Either way, I wasn't wearing my name tag, but my name is Maxwell. Nice to 'meet' you! What did you think of the PHID house? I was pretty excited at the prospect of living there during the school year, but it's a lot more run-down than I expected. I'll definitely be looking elsewhere.

Sadly, from TLS I only met tangerinegleam (very awesome to meet you...I'm showing someone else around Ann Arbor tomorrow afternoon; if you'd like to join shoot me a text) and emrose, who I definitely thought was a lady on TLS (invite applies to you as well; just PM me if you want to come).

On the whole, everyone I met minus a few snooty exceptions was great. I was pumped on UM before, and even more excited now. Also very glad almost everyone I spoke with who was torn between a few choices was heavily leaning toward UM by this evening. :D

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:03 am

Just got back from a night at Phid House, then Ashley's, then Rick's. Woo! Michigan has sold themselves well, I am definitely interested.

I met a few TLSers who shared a cab with me from the airport on Thurs. I did not meet SnickerSnicker or Tangerine Gleam (or at least, if I did meet them I didn't know they were on TLS). Just didn't feel like bringing up TLS in random conversation haha.

I'm staying at the Campus Inn so obviously I couldn't partake of the pilates fun ;). This whole trip has been great, went to Zingerman's for lunch, loved the mock class, and despite word of "unhappy Mich law students" I have yet to meet any. Even the 2L I met who didn't get any law firm offers after OCI loves the school and blamed it on his own flaws (grades, poor firm selection, etc.). He still has a nice public interest gig lined up for the summer, so he wasn't too broken up even after a terrible OCI experience.

So yes, if I can handle the cold and the midwest for three years, Michigan is definitely the bomb.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:51 am

snickersnicker wrote:

Haha, yes, that was definitely me. You wouldn't have been the first person to be like "sup snickersnicker?" You had a blue/green/teal-ish cardigan on, yeah? Or were you the other girl on that tour? Either way, I wasn't wearing my name tag, but my name is Maxwell. Nice to 'meet' you! What did you think of the PHID house? I was pretty excited at the prospect of living there during the school year, but it's a lot more run-down than I expected. I'll definitely be looking elsewhere.

Sadly, from TLS I only met tangerinegleam (very awesome to meet you...I'm showing someone else around Ann Arbor tomorrow afternoon; if you'd like to join shoot me a text) and emrose, who I definitely thought was a lady on TLS (invite applies to you as well; just PM me if you want to come).

On the whole, everyone I met minus a few snooty exceptions was great. I was pumped on UM before, and even more excited now. Also very glad almost everyone I spoke with who was torn between a few choices was heavily leaning toward UM by this evening. :D

Hahahah I wish now even more that I had said something! I was not in fact the girl in the teal-ish cardigan -- that was my friend, a non-TLSer I believe, who made michigan even more fun and magical for me, because she was so enthusiastic. :) I, meanwhile, was the killjoy asking about if others steal food and leave their dirty dishes about :P so I guess I was "the other girl on that tour" :-p

though...that said... there were a few of us haha. I liked it a lot -- I'm deferred to summer start 2011 so if I decide on Michigan I'll DEFINITELY apply for phid house at that time. :) Looking elsewhere is definitely credited though -- if I weren't fairly recently out of undergrad though I'd be like uhhhhh..... haha.... ok. haha. get it. :)

I loved what I saw of u mich, long story short. :)

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 am

nixxers wrote:Also: Sorry to spam the thread but, my taxi is leaving the Michigan League to go to DTW at 1pm tomorrow. If anyone wants in, PM me. :)

......And. I stand by this still, though I think tamlyric/tangerine gleam/emrose/others stand behind me here (pm if required). I'd love to offer a ride to other probable michigan-ers (even though I'm deferred, so a year or so down the road). I like to have camaraderie with my future classmates....so definitely PM me, or text the shit out of tamlyric and emrose...... because they both have my number. <3

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:57 am

My few days at U of Minnesota have been lackluster at best. I withdrew twice already. Dean X leaves something to be desired.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:17 am

1. So a bunch of us were at the Phid House, is there something about people who post on message boards that attracts us to cheap rents in dingy frat houses?

2. I am never, ever going to Rick's again. They charged me $7 for a Guinness in a plastic cup, it wasn't poured properly and the cup was cracked.

3. I don't know how anyone can turn down Michigan after Sherman Clarke's mock class.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:42 am

CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:3. I don't know how anyone can turn down Michigan after Sherman Clarke's mock class.

He CRUSHED that hour of my life. Definitely the highlight of the day (and maybe the weekend). In general, I think I'm sold on the strength of the faculty alone.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:3. I don't know how anyone can turn down Michigan after Sherman Clarke's mock class.

He CRUSHED that hour of my life. Definitely the highlight of the day (and maybe the weekend). In general, I think I'm sold on the strength of the faculty alone.

he was pretty incredible...but be warned, some students I spoke with didn't speak too fondly of him. i.e. amazing lecturer, but doesn't exert any effort at all to get to know his students.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Highlight of Friday

I'm as big a nerd as they come, but I've never imagined having as much fun in a lecture hall as I did during the SFF auction. Drinking Labbatt Blue out of a red solo cup in a law school class room was good enough, but seeing the deans drink Labbatt Blue out of red solo cups while dancing on top of the desks to Single Ladies was f-awesome. That might be the highlight of the last decade for me.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

he was pretty incredible...but be warned, some students I spoke with didn't speak too fondly of him. i.e. amazing lecturer, but doesn't exert any effort at all to get to know his students.

I had him for torts. He's funny, but his lectures get very repetitive.

I also PM'd you. :)

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”