Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm

hykang wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Helm (or anyone else from the first ASW), what was the transportation situation like from the hotels (like Campus Inn)? Was there some kind of bus/shuttle, or did people just walk to the law school?


We stayed at the Bell Tower. It is literally on campus. You just walk across the 'diag' (which appeared to be something like a quad in the main section of campus) and your at the law school essentially.

snickersnicker wrote:Oh, I just looked at my preview weekend schedule, and have one question: are we required to be there at 1:00 to sign in, or just any time before the dean's welcome (at 3:30)? The latter seems correct, but I just want to make sure.


We got to the lawyers club around 2 and signed in, got the folder etc. And then we waited for a few minutes for others to gather so we could go on a tour. We got to our hotel at 1 or so and checked in with no problem (not sure if check-in was supposed to be later...the front desk just said they wanted to check to be sure our room was ready and we went right up). When we checked in, we found out that the law school had (unexpectedly) picked up the bill for our hotel room. That was an amazing start to an amazing preview weekend. Have fun, all those who are going to the 2nd one! I miss Ann Arbor already!


Unexpectedly picked up the bill? What did you think the fee per night was for?

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:37 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
hykang wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Helm (or anyone else from the first ASW), what was the transportation situation like from the hotels (like Campus Inn)? Was there some kind of bus/shuttle, or did people just walk to the law school?


We stayed at the Bell Tower. It is literally on campus. You just walk across the 'diag' (which appeared to be something like a quad in the main section of campus) and your at the law school essentially.

snickersnicker wrote:Oh, I just looked at my preview weekend schedule, and have one question: are we required to be there at 1:00 to sign in, or just any time before the dean's welcome (at 3:30)? The latter seems correct, but I just want to make sure.


We got to the lawyers club around 2 and signed in, got the folder etc. And then we waited for a few minutes for others to gather so we could go on a tour. We got to our hotel at 1 or so and checked in with no problem (not sure if check-in was supposed to be later...the front desk just said they wanted to check to be sure our room was ready and we went right up). When we checked in, we found out that the law school had (unexpectedly) picked up the bill for our hotel room. That was an amazing start to an amazing preview weekend. Have fun, all those who are going to the 2nd one! I miss Ann Arbor already!


Unexpectedly picked up the bill? What did you think the fee per night was for?


I did not pay a "fee per night" as I came with my fiancee (thus the roommate thing would not have worked for us). I made my own hotel reservations at the Bell Tower independent of the law school. When I arrived at said hotel, the front desk stated that the law school had picked up the bill. Thusly, my credit card was never charged for accommodations of any kind. So yes, the law school unexpectedly picked up the bill for my hotel room, which otherwise would have been 200.00 a night.

snickersnicker
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:31 pm

I'm sure I'll see some of you tomorrow. Pretty excited. I'll be the one in the cardigan. Say hi!

dlindqui
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby dlindqui » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 am

I hopped off the plane at DTW
With a dream and my cardigan
Welcome to the land of legal learning
Am I gonna fit in?

Yeah It's a party at Michigan Law

edit: sorry, i couldn't help myself
Last edited by dlindqui on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 am

dlindqui wrote:...my cardigan.


snickersnicker wrote:I'll be the one in the cardigan.


Well, fuck.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 am

Raining in A2 today.

Got in last night in the dark. Can't wait to look around in the daylight!

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:35 am

dlindqui wrote:I am so excited for this weekend and for the chance to get to meet you all. I figured i would share my best piece of advice from my preview experience last year. At the SFF auction have them stamp your left hand first, use all the drinks on the wristband, then take off the wristband and get a stamp on your right hand and get another wristband. Eight drinks is always better than four, and then you are sufficiently pregamed for bar night.


No way, dude...haven't you heard about C&F?!

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby doinmybest » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
dlindqui wrote:...my cardigan.


snickersnicker wrote:I'll be the one in the cardigan.


Well, fuck.


+1

My plane to Detroit is about to start boarding. I have a feeling this is going to be a good trip :)

Illijah
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Illijah » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 am

This thread is making me thoroughly excited. I land at 520 from ATL....let the party begin!

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 am

This has likely been discussed...but can we get some food and drink recommendations? Any "must"s?

Also, would love to know a spot with the best draft beer selection as well as the best place(s) to get a well-crafted cocktail.

Wandering the streets of AA on no sleep. 6 hours left to get drunk enough to pie Carminker during his speech.

I'm wearing several cardigans.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:18 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:This has likely been discussed...but can we get some food and drink recommendations? Any "must"s?


Would recommend Zingerman's. Nationally known sandwich deli.

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I'm wearing several cardigans.


It sounds like you'll fit right in at University of Michigan - Greenwich Village campus.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:23 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:This has likely been discussed...but can we get some food and drink recommendations? Any "must"s?

Also, would love to know a spot with the best draft beer selection as well as the best place(s) to get a well-crafted cocktail.

Wandering the streets of AA on no sleep. 6 hours left to get drunk enough to pie Carminker during his speech.

I'm wearing several cardigans.

Best Microbrew would probably be Grizzly Peak on Main Street, but the Jolly Pumpkin is great too. But for the best selection of drafts, I'm thinking Ashley's on State Street (right on the NW corner of the Diag) probably has the best selection, not to mention their huge selection of bottles, too. Also great for drinking is Dominick's, which is right behind the law quad. If you like Sangria, you'll love it. A little pricey, but a great little spot. If you want just cheapish boozing and an extensive shot list, Charley's at South U and Church will fit the bill.

As far as food, people love Zingerman's. Lots of the bars have pretty decent food, too, so I'd suggest you wander and find some place that looks legit and give it a shot. Most places are, and it adds a bit to the fun. Your best shots are on State Street (around where it meets with Liberty), along Main Street, or along South University (east of the quad).

I might as well rock a cardigan too if that seems to be such a dominant theme today for you guys.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:This has likely been discussed...but can we get some food and drink recommendations? Any "must"s?

Also, would love to know a spot with the best draft beer selection as well as the best place(s) to get a well-crafted cocktail.

Wandering the streets of AA on no sleep. 6 hours left to get drunk enough to pie Carminker during his speech.

I'm wearing several cardigans.

Best Microbrew would probably be Grizzly Peak on Main Street, but the Jolly Pumpkin is great too. But for the best selection of drafts, I'm thinking Ashley's on State Street (right on the NW corner of the Diag) probably has the best selection, not to mention their huge selection of bottles, too. Also great for drinking is Dominick's, which is right behind the law quad. If you like Sangria, you'll love it. A little pricey, but a great little spot. If you want just cheapish boozing and an extensive shot list, Charley's at South U and Church will fit the bill.

As far as food, people love Zingerman's. Lots of the bars have pretty decent food, too, so I'd suggest you wander and find some place that looks legit and give it a shot. Most places are, and it adds a bit to the fun. Your best shots are on State Street (around where it meets with Liberty), along Main Street, or along South University (east of the quad).

I might as well rock a cardigan too if that seems to be such a dominant theme today for you guys.


Ashley's is amazing. The selection there is unmatched...

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
dlindqui wrote:I am so excited for this weekend and for the chance to get to meet you all. I figured i would share my best piece of advice from my preview experience last year. At the SFF auction have them stamp your left hand first, use all the drinks on the wristband, then take off the wristband and get a stamp on your right hand and get another wristband. Eight drinks is always better than four, and then you are sufficiently pregamed for bar night.


No way, dude...haven't you heard about C&F?!


I wonder if Dean Z would make a blog post about an ASW attendee lying to get more alcohol? :lol:

Is this like a cash bar situation?

snickersnicker
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby snickersnicker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 am

TLS Cardigan Club UM ASW 2010.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby nixxers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 am

I am wearing a sweater.... can I still be in the club :mrgreen:

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 pm

The truth comes out...

I do not actually own a cardigan.

However...

Image

I'm keeping my promise.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:The truth comes out...

I do not actually own a cardigan.

However...

Image

I'm keeping my promise.


I'm holding you to that...

dlindqui
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby dlindqui » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:44 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Is this like a cash bar situation?


It's free.

Illijah
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Illijah » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm actually on the plane in the air on my way to Michigan.....i love technology

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby nixxers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:13 pm

I love it here alreeeaadyyyyyyy ahhh!! like.... <3 Dean Z dancing on the table. dammit michigan, you are making my decision very hard!! ahh!!


also just thought I'd throw it out there, I'm back in my room and im going to do some pilates tapes on youtube, so if you're in the michigan league and want to come over and do youtube pilates videos with some girl off the internet, let me know :P

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 pm

nixxers wrote:I love it here alreeeaadyyyyyyy ahhh!! like.... <3 Dean Z dancing on the table. dammit michigan, you are making my decision very hard!! ahh!!


also just thought I'd throw it out there, I'm back in my room and im going to do some pilates tapes on youtube, so if you're in the michigan league and want to come over and do youtube pilates videos with some girl off the internet, let me know :P


Loool. That was amazing.

Wait, what room are you in?

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby nixxers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 pm

emrose wrote:
nixxers wrote:I love it here alreeeaadyyyyyyy ahhh!! like.... <3 Dean Z dancing on the table. dammit michigan, you are making my decision very hard!! ahh!!


also just thought I'd throw it out there, I'm back in my room and im going to do some pilates tapes on youtube, so if you're in the michigan league and want to come over and do youtube pilates videos with some girl off the internet, let me know :P


Loool. That was amazing.

Wait, what room are you in?


pm'd cuz...i dont know what kind of creepers could be a'lurkin

User avatar
joshhoward
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby joshhoward » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 am

well, here in the bell tower but can't sleep, so what better than to ramble on TLS about how AMAZING michigan looks so far. ann arbor is pretty cool, and the students are ALL nice, and more importantly--they are all HAPPY!!

auction was lots of fun. plenty of free drinks. though i guess that doesn't happen quite as much when prospies aren't around.

well--to any others here for the weekend, in the thread's tradition of identifying clothing, tomorrow, i'll be proudly wearing my purple northwestern t-shirt with hebrew lettering. come over and say hi!

User avatar
tralinds
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby tralinds » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am

kingabraham3 wrote:well, here in the bell tower but can't sleep, so what better than to ramble on TLS about how AMAZING michigan looks so far. ann arbor is pretty cool, and the students are ALL nice, and more importantly--they are all HAPPY!!

auction was lots of fun. plenty of free drinks. though i guess that doesn't happen quite as much when prospies aren't around.

well--to any others here for the weekend, in the thread's tradition of identifying clothing, tomorrow, i'll be proudly wearing my purple northwestern t-shirt with hebrew lettering. come over and say hi!


Just take it with a grain of salt, okay? I generally like it here, but last night's fun and hilarity happens about twice a year, and I know for a fact that NOT everyone is happy (and most of the not-happy people are probably not running around trying to get 0Ls to come to Mich, so it makes sense that everyone you've interacted with seems nice/happy).




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest