Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
starstruck393

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 am

Helm (or anyone else from the first ASW), what was the transportation situation like from the hotels (like Campus Inn)? Was there some kind of bus/shuttle, or did people just walk to the law school?

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 am

should I bring my own shampoo and conditioner, or do the hotel rooms in the michigan league have the little sample sized ones for free? :-P (but really)

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:22 am

starstruck393 wrote:Helm (or anyone else from the first ASW), what was the transportation situation like from the hotels (like Campus Inn)? Was there some kind of bus/shuttle, or did people just walk to the law school?

The places they put you in are pretty close...maybe a 10 minute walk. If there were buses, I never saw them. I stayed further off campus and rented a car though, so I can't totally confirm. As a heads up, parking around the school is not a pleasure. I always found a place, but it took some work. Not as bad as it was made out in the other Michigan ?'s thread, but a headache enough that I will be pretty set on renting a space if I decide on Michigan.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 am

Anyone attending the second ASW, I land around 9:30 am on Thursday an rented a mid-size car. I'm staying at the Campus Inn but I'd be happy to drop you off if you are in a different hotel. PM me if you need a ride.

Edit: A free ride...I'm not looking for you to chip in on the rental or anything.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am

Alexandria wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
AWT wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:Isn't there an auction on Thursday night? It may require something dressier than jeans.

the auction is casual too.

Gotcha... judging by other fundraiser/auctions I have been to I thought it may be semi-formal. Good to know.

I get where you're coming from, but after you've been to the SFF Auction, you'll laugh at yourself for ever having considered going in semi-formal dress.

It's crowded, loud, and features a high degree of drunkenness.

Thanks for the heads up... you saved me from looking like a total douche in a blazer and tie.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 am

JRMjr wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:I'm looking forward to meeting you dooders. Maybe y'all should carry a sign. Maybe write a tiny T on on your nametags. :-P

Maybe it was a joke and nobody actually did that haha.

nobody did anything but it did come up in two separate conversations I had.... sad but true

Haha, I met one person who's on here at the bar night. There was one other person I had my suspicions about, but never confirmed.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 am

starstruck393 wrote:Helm (or anyone else from the first ASW), what was the transportation situation like from the hotels (like Campus Inn)? Was there some kind of bus/shuttle, or did people just walk to the law school?

Walking anywhere is pretty easy.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:33 pm

doinmybest wrote:Are we wearing anything to signify us as TLSers? I think the suggestion for last ASW was a little "t" on your name tag. How'd that work out? Are we all doing the same?

I look like my avatar, but with a beard. 8)

cobvillian

Postby cobvillian » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:20 pm

I land in Detroit at 11:05 a.m. tomorrow. Would anyone want to split a cab to Ann Arbor? PM me if you'll be landing around then too.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:34 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Are we wearing anything to signify us as TLSers? I think the suggestion for last ASW was a little "t" on your name tag. How'd that work out? Are we all doing the same?

I look like my avatar, but with a beard. 8)

Me too.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Are we supposed to check in at the lawyers club before checking in at our assigned hotel? And does anyone know anything about getting from the Ann Arbor Amtrak station to the law school?

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:57 pm

tallboone wrote:And does anyone know anything about getting from the Ann Arbor Amtrak station to the law school?

It's a mile walk down State Street, which is just east of the train station. Or, if you're lazy and/or have bags and all that, take the one to the five to Thompson and Jefferson:

Your trip has 1 transfer and will take 13 minute[s]. Depart from stop N Beakes St. west of Summit St. on line 1 (Pontiac - Dhu Varren to Downtown). Arrive at stop Blake Transit Center. Transfer to line 5 (Packard Outbound). Arrive at final destination stop W Thompson south of E Jefferson.

dlindqui

Postby dlindqui » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm

I am so excited for this weekend and for the chance to get to meet you all. I figured i would share my best piece of advice from my preview experience last year. At the SFF auction have them stamp your left hand first, use all the drinks on the wristband, then take off the wristband and get a stamp on your right hand and get another wristband. Eight drinks is always better than four, and then you are sufficiently pregamed for bar night.

red 2010

Postby red 2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:18 pm

asfadsf
Last edited by red 2010 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

red 2010 wrote:
tallboone wrote:Are we supposed to check in at the lawyers club before checking in at our assigned hotel?

1. I would like to know this as well.
2. Does everyone share rooms in the hotels?

Interesting question. I'm not sure about 1, but for 2, are they all shared with a roommate?

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm

red 2010 wrote:
tallboone wrote:Are we supposed to check in at the lawyers club before checking in at our assigned hotel?

1. Nope, you can just check in at the hotel.
2. I think almost everyone at the first one had a shared room.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Oh, I just looked at my preview weekend schedule, and have one question: are we required to be there at 1:00 to sign in, or just any time before the dean's welcome (at 3:30)? The latter seems correct, but I just want to make sure.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:34 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
red 2010 wrote:

Interesting question. I'm not sure about 1, but for 2, are they all shared with a roommate?

Wait, we have roommates in our hotels?? Where did it say that?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:50 pm

doinmybest wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
red 2010 wrote:

Wait, we have roommates in our hotels?? Where did it say that?

I meant to say aren't they all there. From the ASW registration:
Accommodations:
Please note that accommodations are often double-occupancy, and preview attendees will need to share rooms with other. A charge of $20 per night, per person, covers hotel accommodations for admitted students on or near the University of Michigan campus. Payment information will be provided when you submit your registration. We are able to offer rooms for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Accommodations:
Please note that accommodations are often double-occupancy, and preview attendees will need to share rooms with other. A charge of $20 per night, per person, covers hotel accommodations for admitted students on or near the University of Michigan campus. Payment information will be provided when you submit your registration. We are able to offer rooms for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

Touche

dlindqui

Postby dlindqui » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 pm

snickersnicker wrote:Oh, I just looked at my preview weekend schedule, and have one question: are we required to be there at 1:00 to sign in, or just any time before the dean's welcome (at 3:30)? The latter seems correct, but I just want to make sure.

You can sign in at any time before the dean's welcome. If you sign in probably before 2:30, then you have the opportunity to go on a tour of the law school at that time.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:29 pm

dlindqui wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:Oh, I just looked at my preview weekend schedule, and have one question: are we required to be there at 1:00 to sign in, or just any time before the dean's welcome (at 3:30)? The latter seems correct, but I just want to make sure.

You can sign in at any time before the dean's welcome. If you sign in probably before 2:30, then you have the opportunity to go on a tour of the law school at that time.

I might not get there til around 3:30, should I just go to the lawyers club and hope someone is there to direct me?

red 2010

Postby red 2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

afdssaf
Last edited by red 2010 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlindqui

Postby dlindqui » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm

nixxers wrote:
dlindqui wrote:

I might not get there til around 3:30, should I just go to the lawyers club and hope someone is there to direct me?

The dean's welcome is in the Lawyers Club Lounge, so just go there. There should be signs up to direct you, otherwise just ask anyone.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm

We stayed at the Bell Tower. It is literally on campus. You just walk across the 'diag' (which appeared to be something like a quad in the main section of campus) and your at the law school essentially.

We got to the lawyers club around 2 and signed in, got the folder etc. And then we waited for a few minutes for others to gather so we could go on a tour. We got to our hotel at 1 or so and checked in with no problem (not sure if check-in was supposed to be later...the front desk just said they wanted to check to be sure our room was ready and we went right up). When we checked in, we found out that the law school had (unexpectedly) picked up the bill for our hotel room. That was an amazing start to an amazing preview weekend. Have fun, all those who are going to the 2nd one! I miss Ann Arbor already!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”