Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mayosmith

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby mayosmith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:and where is the jolly pumpkin? ive lived in ann arbor for 11 years and i've never heard of it...

It's on Main Street -- offshoot of the Dexter brewery that just won #1 Belgian ale in the world in the NYT.

http://jollypumpkin.com/annarbor/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/dinin ... 4wine.html

Their beers are very good, though I didn't realize they had their own bar...

Check it out. Good cheese plates.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:26 am

ankit wrote:
nixxers wrote:
ankit wrote:
nixxers wrote:Just got the email -- soo excited! I'm staying at the Michigan League, anyone else?

Also, I'll re-extend my invite-- if anyone wants company in the cab ride, I'm getting in at 2:30 and I'll be happy to cover it since i get the darrow reimbursement :)

I'm at the Michigan League as well! Really excited!!

BTW Nixxers, did you figure out where in the schedule the breakfast for Darrow recipients fits in?

YAY!! haha I have no idea - I was assuming maybe they'd email us or something? maybe we are all at the michigan league so that it can just happen...naturally? haha speculation... I really don't know though! :o

Ha ha....yeah not so much a scheduled breakfast as an incidental one! But looking at how tiny the Michigan League Inn seems to be, it wouldnt surprise me if only a very small number of us were accomodated there.

FYI, I'll be getting into DTW at 11:40 AM on Thursday.

I'll be at Michigan League as well. Will be driving from Detroit around 10pm on Wednesday night if anyone needs a ride.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Seems like all the Darrows are at the Michigan League. Judging by the website, it seems a bit crappier than the Campus Inn. I've stayed in far worse for $20 a night though, so no complaints here.

holborn

Postby holborn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Seems like all the Darrows are at the Michigan League. Judging by the website, it seems a bit crappier than the Campus Inn. I've stayed in far worse for $20 a night though, so no complaints here.

definitely not crappier. its actually a really nice, old(er) building. the campus inn is just a straight up hotel. the league has lots of other stuff in it and alot of campus groups (and even locals) use it for receptions and dinners and stuff like that. I've never been in the hotel rooms, but if theyre like the rest of the building, they will be nice, although less modern than the campus inn.

edit: oh and those in the league will also be closer to the law quad and therefore have to walk less. so, you win.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:26 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:Seems like all the Darrows are at the Michigan League. Judging by the website, it seems a bit crappier than the Campus Inn. I've stayed in far worse for $20 a night though, so no complaints here.

definitely not crappier. its actually a really nice, old(er) building. the campus inn is just a straight up hotel. the league has lots of other stuff in it and alot of campus groups (and even locals) use it for receptions and dinners and stuff like that. I've never been in the hotel rooms, but if theyre like the rest of the building, they will be nice, although less modern than the campus inn.

edit: oh and those in the league will also be closer to the law quad and therefore have to walk less. so, you win.

A LOT closer. Although Campus Inn is nicer, it's kind of a ways away. The League is much more convenient

weee

Postby weee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:15 am

Looking at my schedule and the cost of airline tickets looks like I will not be able to visit until end of april. At least I can have my visit fresh in my mind if I am still trying to decide right??

rolark

Postby rolark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am

weee wrote:Looking at my schedule and the cost of airline tickets looks like I will not be able to visit until end of april. At least I can have my visit fresh in my mind if I am still trying to decide right??

Personally, I prefer surprise visits to ASWs. While an ASW may give you a better sense of all a school has to offer, surprise visits give you a better feel of what the school is like day to day. By catching a school when they're not expecting a whole slew prospective students you can see how happy students are from day to day, what classes really look like, what activities are normally going on, etc.

I visited Michigan on a random weekend and, though a little disappointed I couldn't connect with everyone at an ASW, I was still happy with my visit. Just make sure to connect with students when you sit-in on a class to see what clubs might be meeting that evening, etc.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:56 am

I'll be staying at the Campus Inn. Will be arriving hellish early at 6:00am (red eye from West Coast), so I doubt anyone will be around to share a cab. I'll probably take the MichiganFlyer to Ann Arbor, then catch a local shuttle to the school. Should be about $20.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:11 am

So I might try to visit the second ASW for like 36 hours this weekend. I'm currently in Delaware for work and we get Friday afternoon - Sunday afternoon off. I'm not registered because I didn't think I'd have this time off (our trial dates were extended) but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble of getting back and forth. If I think it would be I might try to haggle with admissions tomorrow.

My UMich ID number is back in NYC. Can anyone PM me the schedule for this weekend so I can determine if I should go?

If I can't make it, I'm planning on visiting early next month. I wanted to meet future classmates, though!

EDIT: Looks like getting a ticket to Michigan at this point is going to run me about $600 and a trip to Phili so...yeah, not quite worth it haha.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 am

Anyone coming in from Atlanta this Thursday?

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 am

doinmybest wrote:Anyone coming in from Atlanta this Thursday?

I am...

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am

Guys. I am getting really excited. I think I'm partly just excited to get off campus, but I am also excited to see Ann Arbor and the law school... :mrgreen:

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:10 pm

nixxers wrote:Guys. I am getting really excited. I think I'm partly just excited to get off campus, but I am also excited to see Ann Arbor and the law school... :mrgreen:

W00t w00t! :mrgreen:

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Randomly, I had a very vivid dream last night I visited Michigan and it was PARADISE. Now I'm even more bummed I'm not visiting this week. Plane tickets are just too expensive and I'm pretty sure I'll end up at Columbia/NYU, but I have this nagging feeling I should at least visit Mich... I have a soft spot for them. I'm going to GULC's admitted students program instead but it's totally not going to be as fun.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

examplepdf wrote:Randomly, I had a very vivid dream last night I visited Michigan and it was PARADISE. Now I'm even more bummed I'm not visiting this week. Plane tickets are just too expensive and I'm pretty sure I'll end up at Columbia/NYU, but I have this nagging feeling I should at least visit Mich... I have a soft spot for them. I'm going to GULC's admitted students program instead but it's totally not going to be as fun.

funny Georgetown is brought up. I spoke to a partner at one of the top 5 vault biglaw firms today and, despite the fact that he works in DC, he said GULC is not a national school and a top Michigan grad would be more competitive in DC (and, obviously, nationally) than a top GULC student due to school reputation. He said Harvard 1, Yale 2, then Chi/NYU/Columbia/Michigan/Stanford 3.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

JRMjr wrote:
examplepdf wrote:Randomly, I had a very vivid dream last night I visited Michigan and it was PARADISE. Now I'm even more bummed I'm not visiting this week. Plane tickets are just too expensive and I'm pretty sure I'll end up at Columbia/NYU, but I have this nagging feeling I should at least visit Mich... I have a soft spot for them. I'm going to GULC's admitted students program instead but it's totally not going to be as fun.

funny Georgetown is brought up. I spoke to a partner at one of the top 5 vault biglaw firms today and, despite the fact that he works in DC, he said GULC is not a national school and a top Michigan grad would be more competitive in DC (and, obviously, nationally) than a top GULC student due to school reputation. He said Harvard 1, Yale 2, then Chi/NYU/Columbia/Michigan/Stanford 3.

:shock: Was he a Michigan alum? Seriously, though, that's cool to hear that people regard Michigan so well.

I'm so glad I went to the preview weekend. I was really agonizing over the sticker shock and thinking there's no way it'd be worth it. But having gotten the chance to see the school and talk to current students and hear about their job opportunities and realizing it really does have a solid reputation, I feel far more at ease about the debt. Still don't know how I feel about the weather... which seems worse than punching oneself in the face repeatedly for six months of the year.

mbv

Postby mbv » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Flying into DTW at 5:00 am (YAYYYY)

T_T

how much is a cab to Ann Arbor? Flyer doesn't start up until 7am and I really don't want to wait 2 hours.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

mbv wrote:Flying into DTW at 5:00 am (YAYYYY)

T_T

how much is a cab to Ann Arbor? Flyer doesn't start up until 7am and I really don't want to wait 2 hours.

Which terminal of DT-dub? Mcnamara terminal
is awesome and could easily handle a 2 hr boredom-fest

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

mbv wrote:how much is a cab to Ann Arbor? Flyer doesn't start up until 7am and I really don't want to wait 2 hours.

It should be about a $45 cab ride from DTW to AA.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:03 pm

beesknees wrote:
JRMjr wrote:

:shock: Was he a Michigan alum? Seriously, though, that's cool to hear that people regard Michigan so well.

I'm so glad I went to the preview weekend. I was really agonizing over the sticker shock and thinking there's no way it'd be worth it. But having gotten the chance to see the school and talk to current students and hear about their job opportunities and realizing it really does have a solid reputation, I feel far more at ease about the debt. Still don't know how I feel about the weather... which seems worse than punching oneself in the face repeatedly for six months of the year.

I definitely don't think anyone who has worked in law in DC thinks Georgetown is as good for DC job placement as most of the other schools ranked above it. Reputation not as good (still very good, but comparatively weaker), and HUGE class size = not digging nearly as deep into the class.

Re: the weather, I think Mich gets such a bad rap for this, when its weather is not significantly worse than the other top schools in the northeast and midwest (and that's a LOT of them). As a southerner, I'm telling you, for three years, you'll be fine. There will be some cold yucky days, but there will also be a lot of beautiful, crisp fall days or gorgeous, warm late spring, summer, early fall days. And even the first part of winter is really nice, when the snow is fresh and the holidays are coming. This winter in particular was so mild... actually milder than the DC winter (though I'm def not arguing that's typical).

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Alexandria wrote:
Re: the weather, I think Mich gets such a bad rap for this, when its weather is not significantly worse than the other top schools in the northeast and midwest (and that's a LOT of them). As a southerner, I'm telling you, for three years, you'll be fine. There will be some cold yucky days, but there will also be a lot of beautiful, crisp fall days or gorgeous, warm late spring, summer, early fall days. And even the first part of winter is really nice, when the snow is fresh and the holidays are coming. This winter in particular was so mild... actually milder than the DC winter (though I'm def not arguing that's typical).

Well, I've lived in Florida my whole life, so anything above Atlanta seems like Siberia to me. I don't even think its the cold - I'm just so used to sunshine. When I visited Michigan the weather was really mild, but so dreary it made me realize how much I will miss the ~360 bright, sunny days I am used to getting.

But seriously, I wouldn't let weather determine my decision unless I was choosing between two peer schools (which I'm not). I know I can live practically anywhere in the continental US for 3 years.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

beesknees wrote:
Alexandria wrote:

Well, I've lived in Florida my whole life, so anything above Atlanta seems like Siberia to me. I don't even think its the cold - I'm just so used to sunshine. When I visited Michigan the weather was really mild, but so dreary it made me realize how much I will miss the ~360 bright, sunny days I am used to getting.

But seriously, I wouldn't let weather determine my decision unless I was choosing between two peer schools (which I'm not). I know I can live practically anywhere in the continental US for 3 years.

Here's my childhood: West Palm Beach; Jacksonville; Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; Charleston; Nashville; Coastal Georgia (just north of Jacksonville). Seriously... you'd be fine. :) I know the weather wasn't ideal when you visited, and I can't say it's ideal most of the time here, but there are some really lovely times. In fact, the whole week leading up to the ASW was AMAZING... the cloud cover rolled in at the wrong time.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 pm

My train arrives in Ann Arbor at 11:58pm on Wednesday night.

I'd rather not pay for a hotel room; I am very, very poor.

What is there to do in Ann Arbor between midnight and when the coffee shops open?

mbv

Postby mbv » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the replies!

@JRMjr--I'm arriving at the McNamara terminal. What's there to do there for 2 hours? I read online that there's an internet cafe or $8 wifi, but I'm not sure that shops will be open at 5am.

But to save some of the $50 cab ride, I can probably read a book or watch a movie on my laptop for 2 hours and then take the Flyer.

JuliaGulia

Postby JuliaGulia » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm

I can't wait to visit Michigan!! I posted on the Admitted Students bulletin board but the responses seemed really scarce there so I thought I would give this a shot. I'm arriving in Detroit late on Wednesday, March 24th and staying right by the airport. I would love to share a shuttle or cab with someone, or would be happy to split the gas for a ride to Ann Arbor on Thursday morning (March 25th). Please let me know if that works well for anyone. I look forward to meeting everyone there!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”