Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Helmholtz

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:09 pm

maggiebre wrote:I just registered for the first weekend. I'm going alone, so I just opted for the shared room... should be interesting.

Yeah, I'm a little ambivalent about the whole shared room thing, but I am all kinds of poor right now and the $20/night was too low to pass up. Lord have mercy on the poor bloke stuck with me.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 pm

registered.

we should organize cab shares from the airport for people with similar flight times. i'll probably get in around 3 on thursday, if anyone will be as well.

edit: registered for the EARLIER date.

which also happens to be my birthday weekend, but the only date i can make it. get me drunk, TLS.
Last edited by gahthelaw on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Registered for the later date... so flippin excited!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 pm

gahthelaw wrote:registered.

we should organize cab shares from the airport for people with similar flight times. i'll probably get in around 3 on thursday, if anyone will be as well.

which also happens to be my birthday weekend, but the only date i can make it. get me drunk, TLS.

Looking at flights I'll probably be getting in around 2:30 so I'd be down for sharing a cab. And I think we can make it a pretty good birthday weekend :)

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

maggiebre wrote:

Looking at flights I'll probably be getting in around 2:30 so I'd be down for sharing a cab. And I think we can make it a pretty good birthday weekend :)

yay! cheap cabs and birthdays in michigan! (can i call it metro detroit? it sounds a lot more badass)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Glad to see you decided to make the trip, gah. 21st birthdays ftw!

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Glad to see you decided to make the trip, gah. 21st birthdays ftw!

24th in my case, but i never got an american 21st with all the drinking anyway, so hey, im down!

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Y'all might need to let them know you're coming in later than the scheduled check-in time. I called about that when I noticed that there was said time period, and the lady I spoke with said to send an email to the Preview Weekend email address letting them know so they have someone there. My train's not getting in until 6 PM, though, so earlier might be fine. Idk.

While it's not my birthday weekend, this is cutting into my spring break which was supposed to be the first time I saw my bf since October. He can't come with, either. :/ Let's all get drunk together and hope Mich lives up to the hype. :D

Also I'd be up for splitting a cab to DTW when all is over. Looks like it ends at noon on Saturday.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 pm

thalassocrat wrote:Y'all might need to let them know you're coming in later than the scheduled check-in time. I called about that when I noticed that there was said time period, and the lady I spoke with said to send an email to the Preview Weekend email address letting them know so they have someone there. My train's not getting in until 6 PM, though, so earlier might be fine. Idk.

While it's not my birthday weekend, this is cutting into my spring break which was supposed to be the first time I saw my bf since October. He can't come with, either. :/ Let's all get drunk together and hope Mich lives up to the hype. :D

Also I'd be up for splitting a cab to DTW when all is over. Looks like it ends at noon on Saturday.

hopefully it's ok -- it doesn't formally start until 3:30 and the airport is about a half hour away. so i'm guessing we'll be more or less on time. plus looking on expedia, this flight looks like the only one coming out of the NYC area early enough to get there on time-ish but late enough to go into the office in the morning, so i imagine a few other NY-area people will be on it.

i bet it will be pretty easy to split cabs back to the airport when we're all assembled in A2.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Just registered for the earlier one! Really excited 8)

beamsmehome

Postby beamsmehome » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am

beamsmehome wrote:Registered for the first weekend.

FYI, there is a bus called the Michigan Flyer (http://www.michiganflyer.com) which will take you from the airport directly onto campus. It's $15 each way. I suppose sharing a cab is also a decent option but just wanted to let people know of this.

That sounds like a good option.Thanks for that beams!

beamsmehome

Postby beamsmehome » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi guys! Just wanted to drop in and say congrats on getting in to Mich! IIRC, there were more than a few ppl who showed up a little late on the first day, so there should be no worries about that. You might miss Dean Z in all her glory giving a welcome address, which is a bit sad, but you'll get to hang out with her and marvel over how much awesome-er she is in person for the entire weekend so don't worry about that. Oh, and you definitely don't have to see much of your roommate if you don't want to (just in case you get a weirdo :wink: ). I don't even remember what my roommate looked like because I was always out doing stuff, seldom in the room with her. And of course you can bring SO's. There weren't that many at my ASW, and a lot of times it seemed like the ones who were there decided to go off and do their own thing once they got bored, but it definitely wasn't weird to have them in the group. Please PM me if you have any more questions! Hope to see you TLSers here soon!

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:13 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Registered for the later date... so flippin excited!

Same here. Any other second-weekend people?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:48 am

I am abroad and can't go so please please please give me all the details you can when you get back! Does anyone know if you need a car there? That would be a big detracting factor for me since it's an expense I really can't swing.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:50 am

def2104 wrote:I am abroad and can't go so please please please give me all the details you can when you get back! Does anyone know if you need a car there? That would be a big detracting factor for me since it's an expense I really can't swing.

I asked this question while I was there doing my tour. The 2L leading the tour said that a lot of students don't have one, especially those that live in the lawyer's club. She said that, while at times it can be really nice to have one, it's far from essential. I saw a lot of bikes chained up while I was there.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 am

Helmholtz wrote:
def2104 wrote:I am abroad and can't go so please please please give me all the details you can when you get back! Does anyone know if you need a car there? That would be a big detracting factor for me since it's an expense I really can't swing.

I asked this question while I was there doing my tour. The 2L leading the tour said that a lot of students don't have one, especially those that live in the lawyer's club. She said that, while at times it can be really nice to have one, it's far from essential. I saw a lot of bikes chained up while I was there.

Excellent! Haha coming from Japan I am so used to biking anyway it's really not going to be a big change. Also, helm are you set on Mich? I haven't seen you since our time in the CLS ED thread.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 am

def2104 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Excellent! Haha coming from Japan I am so used to biking anyway it's really not going to be a big change. Also, helm are you set on Mich? I haven't seen you since our time in the CLS ED thread.

Michigan is looking more likely ever day. :)

I really love the school, so much going for it.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 am

Yeah same here. So far it's between Cornell and Mich and I think even though I have such strong ties on the east coast I have to go for Mich. I'm still waiting on UChicago, Penn, Harvard (lol riiight), CLS's ding after deferral, NYU and a bunch of schools lower than Mich...I think that of these there's a way outside chance at Penn that I would jump at, but barring that or a miracle Michigan is also becoming a reality.

ankit

Postby ankit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:17 am

I live abroad as well, but will very likely be attending the second one (if I manage to get a few days of work). I feel really detached from the whole process and since I've never lived in the US, much less studied there, I think it'll give me a nice perspective before I finally end up there in August. Plus it'll be fun to catch up with potential classmates, especially those from TLS. And of course, the travel stipend that comes with the Darrow offer should take some of the financial sting off of me! :)

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:45 am

ankit wrote:

I live abroad as well, but will very likely be attending the second one (if I manage to get a few days of work). I feel really detached from the whole process and since I've never lived in the US, much less studied there, I think it'll give me a nice perspective before I finally end up there in August. Plus it'll be fun to catch up with potential classmates, especially those from TLS. And of course, the travel stipend that comes with the Darrow offer should take some of the financial sting off of me! :)

Amazing, congrats!

Abroad here too-- trying to figure out if I have the time and, most importantly, $$$ to visit...

Everyone who goes: take tons of notes (mentally-- don't want to be be a pre-gunner!) and photos and post them here after!

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:08 pm

even though im already signed up, i got the invite to preview weekend. every email i get from dean z makes me want to hang out with her and eat some cookies. or go on a saturday morning preview weekend jog... adorable.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”