Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
holydonkey

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby holydonkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm

I'll be the guy dressed as a furry this weekend. If you don't approve of my alternative lifestyle, keep it to yourself.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm

holydonkey wrote:I'll be the guy dressed as a furry this weekend. If you don't approve of my alternative lifestyle, keep it to yourself.

--ImageRemoved--

:shock:

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm

oh im registered for the second one, so i guess thats why - didnt go out yet. thanks!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Will be at ASW #2. Planning on severely overdressing. Taking ?'s.

Phew, dude, you scared me for a second until I saw that you were going to the second ASW. How awkward would it have been for us to both to show up in the same thing?

My thinking exactly. Plus, Dean Z told me that they were only able to build us one Mod Chair in time for the ASW social events. Luckily, the second should be ready by fall, so there will ultimately be enough room at Michigan for both of us.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Will be at ASW #2. Planning on severely overdressing. Taking ?'s.

Phew, dude, you scared me for a second until I saw that you were going to the second ASW. How awkward would it have been for us to both to show up in the same thing?

My thinking exactly. Plus, Dean Z told me that they were only able to build us one Mod Chair in time for the ASW social events. Luckily, the second should be ready by fall, so there will ultimately be enough room at Michigan for both of us.

Oh, but ohio state had a mod chair ready for one of you...
--ImageRemoved--
http://www.spike.com/blog/ohio-man-gets-dui-on/75688

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I'm looking forward to meeting you dooders. Maybe y'all should carry a sign. Maybe write a tiny T on on your nametags. :-P

Not a bad idea, actually.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:59 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:I'm looking forward to meeting you dooders. Maybe y'all should carry a sign. Maybe write a tiny T on on your nametags. :-P

Not a bad idea, actually.

it would be so lame (but useful.....) to have TLS identifiers. Easy if it's your initals tho... Hmmmm

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 am

summertimechi wrote:Hi everyone! I haven't been around TLS much since starting law school but just wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone getting ready for Preview! I'm excited for everyone because I know how helpful preview weekend was in helping me to choose Mich and I'm excited to think that some of you will find yourselves in the same position soon. I won't be in town for Thursday and most of Friday (you guys going this weekend will get a chance to sit in on the Con Law class I'll be missing - take notes for me!), but I'll be back in AA Fri. evening and so hopefully will get to meet some of you at the later activities. Feel free to PM me with any questions! Look forward to meeting you guys! Have fun!

P.S. Totally wear jeans.

I will echo the lovely summertimechi since I too have been AWOL on TLS since starting school. (does Primus know you're skipping class? I'd be terrified.) I'll be around for the festivities on Thursday and Friday evening, and can't wait to (hopefully) meet some of you guys! I can also be PM-ed with questions :)

Have fun, wear jeans, and prepare (your liver?) for a great weekend!

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:57 pm

How cold is it up there now? I signed up for the second ASW. I don't know what kind of shoes I should bring.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Apple Tree wrote:How cold is it up there now? I signed up for the second ASW. I don't know what kind of shoes I should bring.

Right now it's 61. Unless things really regress toward the end of the month, plan for temps in the 50's.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:15 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:How cold is it up there now? I signed up for the second ASW. I don't know what kind of shoes I should bring.

Right now it's 61. Unless things really regress toward the end of the month, plan for temps in the 50's.

Thanks! That's kind of cold for me. :oops: Our weather today is 78. But 50's is much better than 40's, which was what i was expecting.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Thanks! That's kind of cold for me. :oops: Our weather today is 78. But 50's is much better than 40's, which was what i was expecting.

Yea, well when I say plan for 50's, 60's wouldn't surprise me, but I really doubt it would be in the 40's or lower unless we get a late winter storm

letmein2010

Postby letmein2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Is there already a schedule out for the events for the weekend ? (the second weekend if it matters) I probably wont be able to make it before friday night, so I'm wondering if its even worth going at that point.

I'd really rather visit with other people who might go next year as opposed to some other random weekend but it looks like thats what I'll have to do.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:43 pm

letmein2010 wrote:Is there already a schedule out for the events for the weekend ? (the second weekend if it matters) I probably wont be able to make it before friday night, so I'm wondering if its even worth going at that point.

I'd really rather visit with other people who might go next year as opposed to some other random weekend but it looks like thats what I'll have to do.

Download the schedule from the admitted students site. If you don't arrive till Fri night you are missing almost everything, but you can still go jogging with Dean Zearfoss on Sat. morning.

letmein2010

Postby letmein2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:17 pm

existenz wrote:
letmein2010 wrote:Is there already a schedule out for the events for the weekend ? (the second weekend if it matters) I probably wont be able to make it before friday night, so I'm wondering if its even worth going at that point.

Download the schedule from the admitted students site. If you don't arrive till Fri night you are missing almost everything, but you can still go jogging with Dean Zearfoss on Sat. morning.

Yeah It looks like theyre all full now anyway...i guess I'll just set up another weekend to go

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Hopefully the people attending the 11th-13th ASW will check in and give us a full report. Would love to hear some highlights.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:10 pm

existenz wrote:Hopefully the people attending the 11th-13th ASW will check in and give us a full report. Would love to hear some highlights.

pretty much all worthwhile. I skipped a few things but for the most part is was all useful. good things: financial aid nuts and bolts, student org fair, some of the quick workshops (summer start, academia/clerkships, etc...)

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 pm

existenz wrote:Hopefully the people attending the 11th-13th ASW will check in and give us a full report. Would love to hear some highlights.

It's definitely worth going. Just got back, still undecided here, but going to the ASW gives you the ability to get a ton of information you would otherwise miss. The 1L students were really nice and you have numerous opportunities to talk to them (at dinner every night, going out at night, at the student groups tables). The faculty receptions let you mingle with a ton of the top professors (I was too intimidated to ask many questions, but got to meet my favorite professor at the school and chat with him for about 15 mins 1 on 1). You can also schedule an individual appointment with the Assistant Dean in charge of Financial Aid. This was really helpful for us. The alumni panels were informative, the food was good, etc. Michigan did a good job. Although this was my first ASW, most other 0Ls I spoke with thought it was better than the Chicago and Harvard ASW. No idea if this was true for everyone.

Only downsides (other than paying to get your ass there) - you know, it's kind of ridiculous, but I never actually stopped to think about the area around law schools. Although the law quad is cool, (most of) Ann Arbor is a big ten college town. If you're into that awesome and if not not so much. Ann Arbor's economy is still booming, but other surrounding towns are kind of burned out. Of course, you'll probably never go to other towns. Other than that, our tour was kind of lame. We basically walked around the block and got very little info. I think we just got a bad guide though.

At the recommendation of some 1Ls, we did go to Zingerman's deli and Cupcake Station which have amazing food/cupcakes. The library is awesome. The reading room is cool and the underground levels are huge. Anyway, we're a lot closer to considering Michigan after ASW than before.

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 pm

cupcake station = awesome! love the red velvet! Just wanted to add that.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:15 pm

As a spouse who just returned from ASW, I wanted to get on here and encourage anyone who is on the fence about bringing someone who would be living with you during law school to the weekend to do so. I was very, very apprehensive about our potential move to Ann Arbor, but left feeling a little better (although I still think the weather sucks and that everything outside of the law quad is sort of ugly...just saying...). I went to the stuff that seemed relevant to me (financial aid, housing panel, campus tour) and hung out at a coffee shop, walked around campus, and met with the director of admissions for a grad program I am considering while the other stuff was happening. There was a decent number of people who had brought someone along with them, so I felt only slightly out of place.

Maybe I'm just a huge selfish bitch, but realistically, I know that if I'm not happy living where my husband will go to law school for three years, he will be unhappy too, which will affect his ability to perform to the best of his abilities.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Short review of ASW

Overall I thought it was great. They really shared a lot of information in a short amount of time. Highlights for me included the Faculty Panel and the Career Services session. Also really enjoyed the mock class (Torts w/ Clark) and the real class (Con Law w/ Primus). I didn't find the housing panel particularly helpful unless you are planning on living in the Lawyers Club (who on TLS wants to fess up to starting the conversation on having a fear of walking to the showers in a towel? :roll: ). Perhaps the Central Campus tour was a less helpful event as well. However, I really am reaching for less than stellar activities because I thought the whole weekend was great. I was not initially planning on coming to the ASW program (mainly due to lack of money) but am very glad I did. It was well worth the money.

For those bringing a SO, I attended with my spouse and she enjoyed the events as well. She didn't come to any of the panels but I know others did.

Anyways, I loved the weekend and visiting AA. Dean Z was great as were the rest of the staff and faculty. I have been leaning towards Michigan for a while and the Preview Weekend has me leaning towards them even more.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:22 am

really looking forward to the second ASW!! i've already decided on michigan so i'm really just going to meet some potential future classmates :)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:40 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:Short review of ASW

Overall I thought it was great. They really shared a lot of information in a short amount of time. Highlights for me included the Faculty Panel and the Career Services session. Also really enjoyed the mock class (Torts w/ Clark) and the real class (Con Law w/ Primus). I didn't find the housing panel particularly helpful unless you are planning on living in the Lawyers Club (who on TLS wants to fess up to starting the conversation on having a fear of walking to the showers in a towel? :roll: ).

Haha, +1

If you're on here, please out yourself.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Short review of ASW

Overall I thought it was great. They really shared a lot of information in a short amount of time. Highlights for me included the Faculty Panel and the Career Services session. Also really enjoyed the mock class (Torts w/ Clark) and the real class (Con Law w/ Primus). I didn't find the housing panel particularly helpful unless you are planning on living in the Lawyers Club (who on TLS wants to fess up to starting the conversation on having a fear of walking to the showers in a towel? :roll: ).

Haha, +1

If you're on here, please out yourself.

the girl was a michigan undergrad...
Last edited by JRMjr on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

My favorite exchange was between a 0L that asked a ton of questions in each session and the prof on the Academia/Clerkship panel.

0L (in high and mighty voice): I'm going to be a professor at a T14 school. As a percentage, how many students does Michigan place as professors at T14 schools straight out of law school?

Prof (in irony laden voice): About 0.8%. T14 schools usually hire between 0-2 new professors straight from law school each year.
Last edited by holydonkey on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”