Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Are you guys with hotel confirmations going to the first ASW or second?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Just got my hotel confirmation from Mich. Staying at the Bell Tower Hotel.

I'll be at the Campus Inn

dammit, what did I do to deserve bell tower?

The Bell Tower Hotel is nice, though tbf it's no Campus Inn :( ...

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Also, gah, Dean Z says dress is casual. I'm sorry to tell you that it might be best to leave the prom dresses at home.

but i already bought this one for the occasion!

--ImageRemoved--

do you think i can still wear it? maybe on the run saturday morning?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 pm

maggiebre wrote:I'll be at the Campus Inn

me too! are you at the first ASW?

washingtonian

Postby washingtonian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:21 pm

i'm going to be at the campus inn for the first ASW... anyone arriving into DTW around 11:30am on March 11 and want to share a cab or something to the LS? let me know :)

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:22 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I'll be at the Campus Inn

me too! are you at the first ASW?

Yes I am! I'm getting excited :)

jlk86

Postby jlk86 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:26 pm

washingtonian wrote:i'm going to be at the campus inn for the first ASW... anyone arriving into DTW around 11:30am on March 11 and want to share a cab or something to the LS? let me know :)

I need to double check but I think I land at 11:40

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 pm

jlk86 wrote:
washingtonian wrote:i'm going to be at the campus inn for the first ASW... anyone arriving into DTW around 11:30am on March 11 and want to share a cab or something to the LS? let me know :)

I need to double check but I think I land at 11:40

I'm down to share a cab (I think we PM'd a while back and are maybe on the same flight? haha). A three-way cab ride would be great... I need to spend as little $$ as possible :)

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:02 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Just got my hotel confirmation from Mich. Staying at the Bell Tower Hotel.

I'll be at the Campus Inn

Me too, for the first ASW. Looking forward to it. :D

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

roxj

Postby roxj » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 am

I'm also staying at the Campus Inn for the first ASW, and my flight lands around 11:30, but I scheduled to take the Michigan Flyer! I wish I'd checked here first, I would've rather split a cab

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

Anyone coming to the second ASW getting in between 11 and 12 on the 25th want to split a cab? Apparently the rate is $45 total.

ohmy212

Postby ohmy212 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

doinmybest wrote:Anyone coming to the second ASW getting in between 11 and 12 on the 25th want to split a cab? Apparently the rate is $45 total.

I need to check my ticket but I'm pretty sure I get in around 11:30 or so. PM me if you are interested in splitting a cab.

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:13 pm

first ASW, campus inn as well!

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:46 pm

So my girlfriend might move with me if I go to Michigan, and I wasnted to originally bring her along with me to the second ASW, but it seems like it would be complicated since the accomodations they give are for one person only, and I don't know if there are any other hotels in the area.

Is anyone bringing a guest with to the ASW? It's important that she visit, but maybe I should wait for another time.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm

goodolgil wrote:So my girlfriend might move with me if I go to Michigan, and I wasnted to originally bring her along with me to the second ASW, but it seems like it would be complicated since the accomodations they give are for one person only, and I don't know if there are any other hotels in the area.

Is anyone bringing a guest with to the ASW? It's important that she visit, but maybe I should wait for another time.

I'm attending with my wife, and we're staying at this B and B a few minutes from the Law Quad. Let me know if you need details, but from the sound of it, at least a few other people are bringing significant others.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm looking forward to meeting you dooders. Maybe y'all should carry a sign. Maybe write a tiny T on on your nametags. :-P

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:58 pm

mayosmith wrote:
goodolgil wrote:So my girlfriend might move with me if I go to Michigan, and I wasnted to originally bring her along with me to the second ASW, but it seems like it would be complicated since the accomodations they give are for one person only, and I don't know if there are any other hotels in the area.

I'm attending with my wife, and we're staying at this B and B a few minutes from the Law Quad. Let me know if you need details, but from the sound of it, at least a few other people are bringing significant others.

Yeah, I called the admissions office and they seemed surprisingly negative about the idea of bringing someone along. I was pretty surprised by that, until then I had no doubt that I was going to bring my girlfriend. I just emailed them with some other questions; I'm gonna research hotels tonight.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:06 pm

I don't think it's particularly great to have an SO there with you at preview just because part of the point is to interact with others. I've seen some folks at preview who just kind of hangout with their SOs or feel like they have to babysit their SOs at preview. Personally if I would be pretty bored being at my SOs preview.

That having been said, there's no actual barrier to having them there. I just personally wouldn't recommend it. I guess if they're helping you make the decision or something of that sort that's fine. Otherwise I don't think it's a particularly couple-friendly type of thing.

At law school, it's pretty easy to have SOs be part of your law school social life so I don't want it to come across like that's an issue. Sometimes it's just better to be initially thrown in the ocean by yourself and figure it out first.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:46 pm

Bringing a SO is a good idea especially if they will be moving with you. That said, they probably shouldn't come to every event. There's no reason you can't jump in on your own at certain events, yet also take the chance to explore Ann Arbor with your SO to see if you like the place.

I have no clue what Michigan's policy is on wining and dining your SO, however.

As far as cheap places to stay, check out the Lamp Post Inn.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 pm

existenz wrote:Bringing a SO is a good idea especially if they will be moving with you. That said, they probably shouldn't come to every event. There's no reason you can't jump in on your own at certain events, yet also take the chance to explore Ann Arbor with your SO to see if you like the place.

I have no clue what Michigan's policy is on wining and dining your SO, however.

As far as cheap places to stay, check out the Lamp Post Inn.

I totally agree that if your SO is going to move to AA they should see the place. All I'm saying is that from seeing 3 preview weekends so far, there is a tendency for SOME SOs to become social crutches or barriers. Preview weekend just happens to be designed for applicants to mingle and get to know other applicants and students. For some people it's just easier to talk to the folks they already know as opposed to go out on a limb and meet new people in that awkward "hi ... my name is xyz" routine.

What's worse is when some people bring their parents. I totally understand the "my mom/dad is paying for it" argument but it doesn't make it less of a barrier.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 pm

As the wife of a poster who shall remain nameless (damn him for telling me these boards existed...now I am just as neurotic about checking the mailbox as he is), I wish there was a SO meet up for the first ASW! I don't really want to go to anything but am coming along so we can check out the housing situation and the job situation for me.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 pm

bannanagram wrote:As the wife of a poster who shall remain nameless (damn him for telling me these boards existed...now I am just as neurotic about checking the mailbox as he is), I wish there was a SO meet up for the first ASW! I don't really want to go to anything but am coming along so we can check out the housing situation and the job situation for me.

Honey, get off the forum! What did I tell you about this?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

bannanagram wrote:As the wife of a poster who shall remain nameless (damn him for telling me these boards existed...now I am just as neurotic about checking the mailbox as he is), I wish there was a SO meet up for the first ASW! I don't really want to go to anything but am coming along so we can check out the housing situation and the job situation for me.

Now I feel unwelcoming. :(

On the flip side there are some SOs who are very social and it's all good. I guess I've just seen less of that than the opposite.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:56 am

awesomepossum wrote:Now I feel unwelcoming. :(

On the flip side there are some SOs who are very social and it's all good. I guess I've just seen less of that than the opposite.

No, I get your point and I agree. SOs can, in some instances, prevent someone from socializing as much as they would if they were alone. But, that's their choice and it's on them to strike the right balance.

I'll be rolling solo and looking to have a blast.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”