Michigan ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
starstruck393

Re: Michigan ASW

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Does anyone have the dates for each session? I'm at work and don't have my Michigan ID. I'm hoping to go to the earlier one.

I'm excited. I've never really been to the midwest. I'm kind of afraid of people being too nice... :wink:

Mar 11-13 and Mar 25-27

And boo earlier one, go with the later one...

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:20 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Does anyone have the dates for each session? I'm at work and don't have my Michigan ID. I'm hoping to go to the earlier one.

I'm excited. I've never really been to the midwest. I'm kind of afraid of people being too nice... :wink:

Mar 11-13 and Mar 25-27

And boo earlier one, go with the later one...

Seriously though, if you want the earlier one, you'd better hurry up. The are like only 12 spots left...

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 am

Later One!

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:51 am

Illijah wrote:Later One!

+1!

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am

nixxers wrote:

+∞!

FTFY. The later one is for the cool kids...

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 am

starstruck393 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

+∞!

There goes Michigan's vaunted collegial atmosphere.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am

starstruck393 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

+∞!

Agreed. It's self-evident, no? :P

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am

mayosmith wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

+∞!

There goes Michigan's vaunted collegial atmosphere.

haha so much pressure :shock:

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

Just signed up for the second one. I won't get there till Thu night so I guess I will miss the Thu activity...Anybody in a similar situation?

Also, is anybody taking the shuttle to the school from the detroit airport? Do you have to register for that?

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 am

starstruck393 wrote:The campus is notoriously not car friendly. There are no law school lots, let alone lots for students of any kind close (unless you're disabled, in which case you can get a pass). There are some city structures around, where you can park I guess. The closest would probably be on South Forest; there will probably be some spots available, and it's a 5-10 min walk. You can also try street parking. Some have more optimistic opinions on its availability, but I wouldn't count on it. My experience is that it's never available when you're running late and need it.

So, my point wasn't so much that no one would be able to find a spot at ASW, but there certainly wouldn't be enough spots close to campus if a majority of the ASW attendees wanted to drive.

For going to class, I would honestly look into the bus schedule. I'll be living a few miles away, but there's a bus stop right outside of my apartment complex. A2 has a good bus system, and it's free when you show a student ID. Like I said, there was a 1L talking about being able to find street parking fairly easily, but it's a hassle and I really wouldn't want to have to rely on street parking to get to class everyday. There will be days you're running late and you will get burned, it's just a reality of A2...

Thank you. My undergrad was like this as well. I would hate not having my car accessible, but this will certainly help as I look at potential housing (and proximity to the bus).

In my undergrad, there were private lots around the school that would charge $50/$100 or something for a semester. Does AA have anything similar?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 pm

toolshed wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:The campus is notoriously not car friendly. There are no law school lots, let alone lots for students of any kind close (unless you're disabled, in which case you can get a pass). There are some city structures around, where you can park I guess. The closest would probably be on South Forest; there will probably be some spots available, and it's a 5-10 min walk. You can also try street parking. Some have more optimistic opinions on its availability, but I wouldn't count on it. My experience is that it's never available when you're running late and need it.

So, my point wasn't so much that no one would be able to find a spot at ASW, but there certainly wouldn't be enough spots close to campus if a majority of the ASW attendees wanted to drive.

For going to class, I would honestly look into the bus schedule. I'll be living a few miles away, but there's a bus stop right outside of my apartment complex. A2 has a good bus system, and it's free when you show a student ID. Like I said, there was a 1L talking about being able to find street parking fairly easily, but it's a hassle and I really wouldn't want to have to rely on street parking to get to class everyday. There will be days you're running late and you will get burned, it's just a reality of A2...

Thank you. My undergrad was like this as well. I would hate not having my car accessible, but this will certainly help as I look at potential housing (and proximity to the bus).

In my undergrad, there were private lots around the school that would charge $50/$100 or something for a semester. Does AA have anything similar?

Haha :lol: (sorry). Some people rent out parking spots around the campus area for $50-$100 a month, if that's what you mean. It looks like you can get a pass in the SoFo structure I mentioned for $125 a month. The school does have commuter Orange lots where you can get passes for around a hundred dollars per year, but the closest of those lots has to be around a 30 min walk to the law school. You essentially have to drive there, and take a bus to campus. Personally I think it'd be easier to just keep your car at your apartment and walk/bus/bike in instead of dealing with the commuter lot hassle.

Yeah, parking is a problem in A2. Really, the only complaints I have about the city are all car related: parking availability, parking/traffic tickets, the condition of the roads and the idiotic traffic flow (retardant?) system of stoplight timing and so forth...

rolark

Postby rolark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:19 am

Anyone planning on driving along I-94 E departing from or going through the Twin Cities? I don't have the money for the flight, but would be up for contributing to a carpool.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 am

rolark wrote:Anyone planning on driving along I-94 E departing from or going through the Twin Cities? I don't have the money for the flight, but would be up for contributing to a carpool.

That'll be a long drive...

rolark

Postby rolark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 am

starstruck393 wrote:
rolark wrote:Anyone planning on driving along I-94 E departing from or going through the Twin Cities? I don't have the money for the flight, but would be up for contributing to a carpool.

About 8 hours. I actually did it the other weekend. . .

Not fun, but cheaper than flying

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

rolark wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Oh, only 8. That's not that bad. I would have thought closer to 10 or 12...

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:29 am

Uh oh. I don't know how I'm going to go to either one now. I have to go to trial in DE from 3/15-3/26.

rolark

Postby rolark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 am

starstruck393 wrote:
rolark wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Shoot, now that you mention it, I remember I didn't actually leave from the Cities. I had a two hour head start and stayed in Wisconsin overnight. This slipped my mind when I was thinking about it. It sounds even less fun now.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:Uh oh. I don't know how I'm going to go to either one now. I have to go to trial in DE from 3/15-3/26.

How will you plead? :)

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:37 am

rolark wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
rolark wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Anyone planning on driving along I-94 E departing from or going through the Twin Cities? I don't have the money for the flight, but would be up for contributing to a carpool.

Shoot, now that you mention it, I remember I didn't actually leave from the Cities. I had a two hour head start and stayed in Wisconsin overnight. This slipped my mind when I was thinking about it. It sounds even less fun now.

Sorry. Can't you get a cheap connector from MSP to DTW?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:39 am

starstruck393 wrote:Like I said, there was a 1L talking about being able to find street parking fairly easily, but it's a hassle and I really wouldn't want to have to rely on street parking to get to class everyday.

I'm a 3L, and I've been doing it since probably second semester of 1L. Like I said... it's not like there are tons of spaces, and if everyone did it, it would be problematic. But I park at meters within 1 block of the law school every day and encounter very, very little trouble. The last time I had trouble was a couple times in September in the middle of the day, and I did have to go over to the South Forest structure.

The key to this is what time of day your classes are, and in 1L you don't have a choice. Parking is easier early and late. I haven't picked my classes based on their times, but my schedules have mostly worked out this way. Like this semester I go to class from 9 to 10:30 four days a week, eat/work at home for the middle of the day, then go back to school from 4 to 6 three days a week.

If you're going to have a really long day, you won't want to park at a meter. I use the South Forest structure for that (or I used to have my husband drop me off/pick me up).

starstruck393 wrote: It looks like you can get a pass in the SoFo structure I mentioned for $125 a month.

You can also just pay as you go (I think the price is now 50 cents per half hour), which would be cheaper for most law students, unless you plan to spend a lot of time studying in the library instead of at home. When I worked it out for my schedule (in a previous semester) to figure out how much it would cost for a month, it came out to about $75.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:03 pm

mayosmith wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Uh oh. I don't know how I'm going to go to either one now. I have to go to trial in DE from 3/15-3/26.

How will you plead? :)

However the partners say we will haha. Fortunately, it's for work and not my personal legal trouble. :D

stephhu

Postby stephhu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 am

Apple Tree wrote:Just signed up for the second one. I won't get there till Thu night so I guess I will miss the Thu activity...Anybody in a similar situation?

Also, is anybody taking the shuttle to the school from the detroit airport? Do you have to register for that?

I actually also get there around 9pm on Thursday. When do you get in?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Did anyone else who's already registered get the reminder to register email today?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Did anyone else who's already registered get the reminder to register email today?

yup -- i don't think it's a big deal. they mentioned at the bottom that if we are already registered they're looking forward to seeing us.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:02 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Did anyone else who's already registered get the reminder to register email today?

Yeah. You can go and confirm that you are already registered by going back to the admitted students site and try to register again for the same date. The "receipt" from when you first registered should show up.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”