Michigan ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
holborn

Bronze

Re: Michigan ASW

Post by holborn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

oh and i was under the impression that they were talking about private practice and biglaw b/c there was another panel going on while this one was about public interest work after graduation, put on by the public interest career office (includes govt work).

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I heard nothing but incredibly positive things about the city before visiting -- but, to me, it doesn't strike me as that different (and certainly no better) than most other "neat college towns" I've visited...and, in fact, I probably prefer many of the places I had heard Ann Arbor was "cooler"/"nicer" than -- Charlottesville, Madison, even Athens and San Antonio.
Those of you that thought A2 sucked, what college towns are you coming from? I went to UG in Athens and it was basically the same shit. The only difference was Athens has more bars, but at the same time Athens is waaaaaay more fratty.
I was a UGA undergrad, too. AA is a lot bigger and more of a "normal" city than Athens... it has a lot larger permanent resident base to support it.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:It's great to hear everyone's thoughts on AA. Sounds like my high expectations are largely to blame...had I gone into ASW expecting a typical college town with a handful of good restaurants and bars, I'm sure I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

Time to get back to designing my Woodbury Wolverines bowling league team shirts...
For whatever it's worth, I thought A2 was great. I am curious about what kinds of expectations you had and how they were disappointed. Apologies if I missed specifics from earlier in the thread.

P.S. I can haz T-shirt? :wink:

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:It's great to hear everyone's thoughts on AA. Sounds like my high expectations are largely to blame...had I gone into ASW expecting a typical college town with a handful of good restaurants and bars, I'm sure I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

Time to get back to designing my Woodbury Wolverines bowling league team shirts...

I want in too!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 pm

I have my own ball and shoes, but I'm really bad at bowling. Can I still join?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 pm

dibs on a bowling shirt if I end up at Michigan - wore my tshirt from preview today, felt pretty good ;)

As for AA, I had a great time. It reminded me of some of the cuter parts of Minneapolis and my general stomping grounds around there, so it felt like home. I also go to college in a town that is a "dry borough" with no bars or real restaurants, so I have a stunted frame of reference :P

DRPSET

New

Post by DRPSET » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 pm

In regards to A2, how long did most of you stay after official preview weekend ended? I was skeptical until Saturday afternoon when I noticed despite the chilly weather a lot of people were out and about. This impressed me and reinforced what I heard about the town being a fun and vibrant place. At least from the perspective of someone who has gone to school in Salt Lake the last four years.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Alexandria wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I heard nothing but incredibly positive things about the city before visiting -- but, to me, it doesn't strike me as that different (and certainly no better) than most other "neat college towns" I've visited...and, in fact, I probably prefer many of the places I had heard Ann Arbor was "cooler"/"nicer" than -- Charlottesville, Madison, even Athens and San Antonio.
Those of you that thought A2 sucked, what college towns are you coming from? I went to UG in Athens and it was basically the same shit. The only difference was Athens has more bars, but at the same time Athens is waaaaaay more fratty.
I was a UGA undergrad, too. AA is a lot bigger and more of a "normal" city than Athens... it has a lot larger permanent resident base to support it.
I can't believe I didn't meet you on preview weekend. I was searching for all the UGA people. I met 2 1Ls from UGA but not really anyone else.
DRPSET wrote:In regards to A2, how long did most of you stay after official preview weekend ended? I was skeptical until Saturday afternoon when I noticed despite the chilly weather a lot of people were out and about. This impressed me and reinforced what I heard about the town being a fun and vibrant place. At least from the perspective of someone who has gone to school in Salt Lake the last four years.
Were you one of the Utah guys? I basically hung with the Utah people all weekend. You probably met me.

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

your feelings about AA are totally dependent on what type of small city you like. If you like brand new suburbia with lots of crap for miles and miles, that ain't for you. If you like a small-ish downtown with some neighborhoody segments to it, its awesome. If you want a city, look somewhere else.

However, regardless of what you want in a place to go to school, how can someone not appreciate AA for what it is? Comments like "it sucked" etc... are pretty worthless. I didn't personally like Athens or San Antionio as a city but, for what they are, they are great little places.

IMO, if you dont like AA, you should really knock Michigan down on the list since you'll be there for 3 years and the last thing you want to have to do on a break from the legal reading misery is have to go walk around a city/town you cant stand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:47 pm

So, how "big" is AA, exactly? The downtown, walk-around-able part. Are we talking like... 15 mins diagonal, or like 2x2 blocks, or etc? I wasn't able to visit, so any sense of town vs. city would be great!

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I think actually going to Michigan changes your perspective of ann arbor (I assume all the A2 praise you heard was from alumni). I grew up in Ann Arbor and never bothered to go downtown (aka campus) during high school because I thought it was boring. Even when I visited for undergrad I wasn't impressed. Now, having gone to undergrad there, I strongly believe that Ann Arbor is the greatest city in the world. Pretty much tied with NYC where I live now. (in fact, im deciding between Umich and Columbia and consider location a pro for both).

In conclusion: the Michigan Kool-aid changes you. be prepared.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

as someone who also currently lives in NYC, i would be really interested in hearing why you specifically think AA is tied with NYC, if you care to elaborate. i'm dying for someone to talk me into AA -- for the short time I was there, it seemed like most people used to NYC would be frustrated and bored within six months.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
I can't believe I didn't meet you on preview weekend. I was searching for all the UGA people. I met 2 1Ls from UGA but not really anyone else.
I wasn't really around. :( For the first one I think I was just busy, and for the second I was out of town. In the 3L class, I think there are just two of us UGA grads... not sure about the 2L class; I know of at least one.

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:00 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

as someone who also currently lives in NYC, i would be really interested in hearing why you specifically think AA is tied with NYC, if you care to elaborate. i'm dying for someone to talk me into AA -- for the short time I was there, it seemed like most people used to NYC would be frustrated and bored within six months.
I think you're right. Many New Yorkers are unhappy here, but only because they perpetually compare AA to NYC. If the big city is super important to you, and you can't live without it for 3 years, then AA probably isn't a great match for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

parker09 wrote:So, how "big" is AA, exactly? The downtown, walk-around-able part. Are we talking like... 15 mins diagonal, or like 2x2 blocks, or etc? I wasn't able to visit, so any sense of town vs. city would be great!
The 'central' part of Ann Arbor is around two square miles. There's some stuff on the outskirts but it's more urban sprawl-esque: malls, shopping strips, Whole Foods, etc. Between roughly Washtenaw on the east and 2nd Street on the west, and South Industrial on the south to Fuller Street at the north is considered Ann Arbor proper.

Ann Arbor is not a big city. I agree with the above poster that if you're looking to be busy outside of law school 24/7, Ann Arbor is probably not for you. It's possible, but the same fifteen or twenty bars and thirty or so restaurants would probably get old real quick if you're looking for big city life. There's more going on than a place like Cornell or UVA, but it's more like either of those than NYU.

EDIT: Also, 666th post. Hail satan.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Don't get me wrong, AA was totally fine. The point of my original post was simply to say that it didn't meet my expectations after months of hearing truly *nothing* but incredibly positive things for months on end. I simply wanted to see if anyone else shared my sentiments after ASW -- that A2 simply wasn't as awesome as I had hoped.

I'm sure it'll be a fine place to live. It's all about expectations, points of reference, personal preference, etc. I fully intend on making my three years awesome, wherever they are.

Also, thank God it isn't Ithaca.

*EDITED*

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Don't get me wrong, AA was totally fine. The point of my original post was simply to say that it didn't meet my expectations after months of hearing truly *nothing* but incredibly positive things. I simply wanted to see if anyone else shared my sentiments after ASW -- that A2 simply wasn't as awesome as I had hoped.

I'm sure it'll be a fine place to live. It's all about expectations, points of reference, etc. Thank God it isn't Ithaca.
agreed. i don't mean to say that i think AA is a bad place. it's sort of like when i bought my Mac -- everyone was so incredibly psyched about Macs, i sort of expected it to make me coffee in the morning and spoon me to sleep at night. but it's just a computer, albeit a good one. AA is just a college town, albeit a good one.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:I think actually going to Michigan changes your perspective of ann arbor (I assume all the A2 praise you heard was from alumni). I grew up in Ann Arbor and never bothered to go downtown (aka campus) during high school because I thought it was boring. Even when I visited for undergrad I wasn't impressed. Now, having gone to undergrad there, I strongly believe that Ann Arbor is the greatest city in the world. Pretty much tied with NYC where I live now. (in fact, im deciding between Umich and Columbia and consider location a pro for both).

Well I think the biggest thing is that I understand that they are completely different cities and I like them for very different reasons. I love big city life, going to shows, restaurants, etc and I probably couldn't settle down in ann arbor as a young professional. Having said that, Ann Arbor is a truly incredible place to be a student. Michigan really does become like your family and I always felt very supported as a student there. I find that there are just the right number of distractions. I know that if I went to school in nyc I would find way too many reasons not to study. Ann Arbor has plenty to do when you want something to do, but not enough that you will neglect the main reason youre there: to study and learn. It has a crazy amount of sports, more good restaurants then one would expect, a ton of bars, shows (music and theater groups often stop in ann arbor between tours on the coasts), art fair in the summer, and even a very good art museum. no its not the Met, and I think thats where people run into problems - comparing things that really shouldnt be compared. but it does have a good selection.
If you come to ann arbor, no its not nyc, but its also not college bars in the middle of a cornfield. What I think i like most about ann arbor is the fact that (nearly) everyone is genuinely happy to be there, and it can be rather infectious. Most of my bad moods could be cured by walking around ann arbor for a bit. also, ask any michigan alum about ann arbor and they are bound to smile. I think that says a lot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DRPSET

New

Post by DRPSET » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Were you one of the Utah guys? I basically hung with the Utah people all weekend. You probably met me.[/quote]

yeah doingmybest, you know me. We enjoyed a fine ipa before taking on ricks.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Don't get me wrong, AA was totally fine.
Totally fine?!? TOTALLY FINE!?! It was clearly heaven on earth. Don't worry: it's okay to admit it. :P

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

doinmybest wrote:Were you one of the Utah guys? I basically hung with the Utah people all weekend. You probably met me.
drpset wrote:yeah doingmybest, you know me. We enjoyed a fine ipa before taking on ricks.
I think I know both of you. Ha!
Last edited by tamlyric on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

Well I think the biggest thing is that I understand that they are completely different cities and I like them for very different reasons. I love big city life, going to shows, restaurants, etc and I probably couldn't settle down in ann arbor as a young professional. Having said that, Ann Arbor is a truly incredible place to be a student. Michigan really does become like your family and I always felt very supported as a student there. I find that there are just the right number of distractions. I know that if I went to school in nyc I would find way too many reasons not to study. Ann Arbor has plenty to do when you want something to do, but not enough that you will neglect the main reason youre there: to study and learn. It has a crazy amount of sports, more good restaurants then one would expect, a ton of bars, shows (music and theater groups often stop in ann arbor between tours on the coasts), art fair in the summer, and even a very good art museum. no its not the Met, and I think thats where people run into problems - comparing things that really shouldnt be compared. but it does have a good selection.
If you come to ann arbor, no its not nyc, but its also not college bars in the middle of a cornfield. What I think i like most about ann arbor is the fact that (nearly) everyone is genuinely happy to be there, and it can be rather infectious. Most of my bad moods could be cured by walking around ann arbor for a bit. also, ask any michigan alum about ann arbor and they are bound to smile. I think that says a lot.
thanks for the insight. it really is good (and reassuring!) to hear how much people who've spent time in AA like it there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 pm

DRPSET wrote: yeah doingmybest, you know me. We enjoyed a fine ipa before taking on ricks.
Hahahahahaah finally decided to stop lurking and at start posting? We have some apologies to deliver after that night. That IPA will get ya everytime. At least you got a bottle opener out of it.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm

snickersnicker wrote: The 'central' part of Ann Arbor is around two square miles. There's some stuff on the outskirts but it's more urban sprawl-esque: malls, shopping strips, Whole Foods, etc. Between roughly Washtenaw on the east and 2nd Street on the west, and South Industrial on the south to Fuller Street at the north is considered Ann Arbor proper.

Ann Arbor is not a big city. I agree with the above poster that if you're looking to be busy outside of law school 24/7, Ann Arbor is probably not for you. It's possible, but the same fifteen or twenty bars and thirty or so restaurants would probably get old real quick if you're looking for big city life. There's more going on than a place like Cornell or UVA, but it's more like either of those than NYU.
Thanks! I don't really know how big 2 sq miles is (I really suck at distances/areas/spatial stuff), but it's got to be bigger then my ug's "town" which was really just one main street with some side branches. I like the idea of a small, liveable, not-too-distracting city-town.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Also, thank God it isn't Ithaca.
This.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 pm

DRPSET wrote:
Were you one of the Utah guys? I basically hung with the Utah people all weekend. You probably met me.
yeah doingmybest, you know me. We enjoyed a fine ipa before taking on ricks.
I was surprised by the Utah contingent I met. There were, what, three or four of you guys?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”