Michigan ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mll2116

New

Re: Michigan ASW

Post by mll2116 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 am

As pointed out in thalassocrat's comment, I hope that the question at the alumni panel came off as less about being anti-social, and more about having room in that cohesive law school community for students who aren't as interested in repeating an undergrad experience. At least that was the intention (as I was the asker). Incidentally, I thought the ASW and Michigan in general were great :) , and I definitely appreciated the opportunity to even ask a question like that (I'm guessing so did the several people who approached me after the panel saying they were glad someone had brought up that point)
thalassocrat wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
loveistheway wrote:Yes, the girl who asked about how to avoid being seen in a towel was funny, but also young, so I give her a pass. My favorite question came at the very end of the weekend. It went something like (and I'll only slightly exaggerate for effect),

"So, ya, we're hearing all about how great the faculty is and how nice the students are. How everyone has a lot of fun with each other and generally just loves this place. You've all talked a lot about the close-knit community and how that fosters a better learning environment. But, what if you don't want that kind of experience. What if you just want to stay in your room all the time studying and don't really like to interact with people?"

Best moment ever!
after that question (and the crickets) I imagined Dean Z thinking "god, I hope we didn't give her money to come here. God, I hope we didn't give her money to come here"
If you're talking about the girl at the alumni panel, I do think she meant more the college town atmosphere than everyone being friends. I met her a couple of times throughout the weekend and she didn't really come off like that in a small group, and especially for older students I can understand wondering about that. (Of course, if you're talking about someone else I must have missed that question and never mind me) The towel girl was kind of silly; I was thinking "is it just that hard to wear your pajamas or something to the shower if you're so worried?"

Overall I loved Preview Weekend. Definitely made me want to go to Mich even more. I'm worried I made an ass of myself at the Phid house party, but I always worry that when I drink that much and it's always unwarranted afaik. :lol: It's why I don't get hammered so often.

@nixxers Those are the names of the gyms. My guide for the central campus tour took us by the CCRB (I think) and it seemed fine; I'm not much of a gym person so idk really.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 am

nixxers wrote:
ankit wrote:
nixxers wrote:Just got the email -- soo excited! I'm staying at the Michigan League, anyone else?

Also, I'll re-extend my invite-- if anyone wants company in the cab ride, I'm getting in at 2:30 and I'll be happy to cover it since i get the darrow reimbursement :)
I'm at the Michigan League as well! Really excited!!

BTW Nixxers, did you figure out where in the schedule the breakfast for Darrow recipients fits in?
YAY!! haha I have no idea - I was assuming maybe they'd email us or something? maybe we are all at the michigan league so that it can just happen...naturally? haha speculation... I really don't know though! :o
Ha ha....yeah not so much a scheduled breakfast as an incidental one! But looking at how tiny the Michigan League Inn seems to be, it wouldnt surprise me if only a very small number of us were accomodated there.

FYI, I'll be getting into DTW at 11:40 AM on Thursday.

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 am

loveistheway wrote:Yes, the girl who asked about how to avoid being seen in a towel was funny, but also young, so I give her a pass. My favorite question came at the very end of the weekend. It went something like (and I'll only slightly exaggerate for effect),

"So, ya, we're hearing all about how great the faculty is and how nice the students are. How everyone has a lot of fun with each other and generally just loves this place. You've all talked a lot about the close-knit community and how that fosters a better learning environment. But, what if you don't want that kind of experience. What if you just want to stay in your room all the time studying and don't really like to interact with people?"
mll2116 wrote:As pointed out in thalassocrat's comment, I hope that the question at the alumni panel came off as less about being anti-social, and more about having room in that cohesive law school community for students who aren't as interested in repeating an undergrad experience. At least that was the intention (as I was the asker). Incidentally, I thought the ASW and Michigan in general were great :) , and I definitely appreciated the opportunity to even ask a question like that (I'm guessing so did the several people who approached me after the panel saying they were glad someone had brought up that point)
Agreed -- and this botched transcription job omits the context. Earlier in the panel, one of the alumni noted that it was possible for a law student to have an undergraddy kind of night, when one wants to, in Ann Arbor, given all the bars on South University, etc. It seemed that mll2116 was responding directly to that sentiment in asking if it's possible *not* to bask in that kind of lifestyle. The answer appears to be yes.

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 am

mayosmith wrote:

mll2116 wrote:As pointed out in thalassocrat's comment, I hope that the question at the alumni panel came off as less about being anti-social, and more about having room in that cohesive law school community for students who aren't as interested in repeating an undergrad experience. At least that was the intention (as I was the asker). Incidentally, I thought the ASW and Michigan in general were great :) , and I definitely appreciated the opportunity to even ask a question like that (I'm guessing so did the several people who approached me after the panel saying they were glad someone had brought up that point)
Agreed -- and this botched transcription job omits the context. Earlier in the panel, one of the alumni noted that it was possible for a law student to have an undergraddy kind of night, when one wants to, in Ann Arbor, given all the bars on South University, etc. It seemed that mll2116 was responding directly to that sentiment in asking if it's possible *not* to bask in that kind of lifestyle. The answer appears to be yes.
not to get all logical but does anyone expect that a panel of high educated graduate school alumni (who LOVED their experience) would say that the only experience you could have is one similar to the experience of an undergrad? I mean... was another type of answer expected? clearly the question wasn't as bad as it was made out to be (nor was the towel question as horrible as its been made out to be) but before people ask questions they should figure out whether it a) is relevant to the entire captive room and b) has an obvious answer. It was funny so I don't think anyone really cares too much.... little humor never hurts!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:15 am

nixxers wrote:
Illijah wrote:
nixxers wrote:
ankit wrote:Just got the email -- soo excited! I'm staying at the Michigan League, anyone else?

Also, I'll re-extend my invite-- if anyone wants company in the cab ride, I'm getting in at 2:30 and I'll be happy to cover it since i get the darrow reimbursement :)

I'm at the Michigan League as well! Really excited!!

BTW Nixxers, did you figure out where in the schedule the breakfast for Darrow recipients fits in?
YAY!! haha I have no idea - I was assuming maybe they'd email us or something? maybe we are all at the michigan league so that it can just happen...naturally? haha speculation... I really don't know though! :o
What is Michigan League?

And for the lodges or w/e do I need to schedule that in advance?
Michigan League is one of the nearby hotels that is used to house ASW participants at a discounted price :) Don't know what you mean by the lodges, but to get housing, if i remember correctly you had to specify whether you wanted to stay in the discounted hotel rooms when you registered for the ASW.
Actually it's one of the student unions, that happens to have a few hotel rooms in it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

Hey everyone... ohmy212 and I are planning on cabbing together from the Detroit Metro airport to Ann Arbor next Thursday around noon if anyone is interested in joining. The more people, the cheaper the ride!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am

JRMjr wrote:not to get all logical but does anyone expect that a panel of high educated graduate school alumni (who LOVED their experience) would say that the only experience you could have is one similar to the experience of an undergrad? I mean... was another type of answer expected? clearly the question wasn't as bad as it was made out to be (nor was the towel question as horrible as its been made out to be) but before people ask questions they should figure out whether it a) is relevant to the entire captive room and b) has an obvious answer. It was funny so I don't think anyone really cares too much.... little humor never hurts!
Meh, I'd say it was at least as relevant as the talk about shoes. :lol:
starstruck393 wrote:What was the theme? We get a bar night instead of a Phid party; I'm not sure how I feel about that...
It was musical genres/artists, but not very many people dressed up. We had a bar night too; I kind of liked that better because I can still remember pretty much all of it, but I'm not really a party girl anyway.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 am

thalassocrat wrote:
JRMjr wrote:not to get all logical but does anyone expect that a panel of high educated graduate school alumni (who LOVED their experience) would say that the only experience you could have is one similar to the experience of an undergrad? I mean... was another type of answer expected? clearly the question wasn't as bad as it was made out to be (nor was the towel question as horrible as its been made out to be) but before people ask questions they should figure out whether it a) is relevant to the entire captive room and b) has an obvious answer. It was funny so I don't think anyone really cares too much.... little humor never hurts!
starstruck393 wrote:What was the theme? We get a bar night instead of a Phid party; I'm not sure how I feel about that...
It was musical genres/artists, but not very many people dressed up. We had a bar night too; I kind of liked that better because I can still remember pretty much all of it, but I'm not really a party girl anyway.
What did the bar night entail, just an announcement that everyone should go to a certain bar?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 am

starstruck393 wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:
What did the bar night entail, just an announcement that everyone should go to a certain bar?
Pretty much, yeah. It was at The Blue Leprechaun, a few blocks from the LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 am

starstruck393 wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:
Pretty much, with a given time though I'm sure people were there earlier, and then the bar in question (the Blue Lep for us) was packed with admits and current students. I think there were some drink specials too, but they didn't apply to what I was drinking so I didn't really pay attention.

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:What did the bar night entail, just an announcement that everyone should go to a certain bar?
Pretty much, with a given time though I'm sure people were there earlier, and then the bar in question (the Blue Lep for us) was packed with admits and current students. I think there were some drink specials too, but they didn't apply to what I was drinking so I didn't really pay attention.
I received a wristband for $5 that entitled me to $2 "domestic beers." But that didn't include my domestic beer of choice, and so it was wasted cash. But I had a lot of fun anyway.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:21 pm

it was the blue lep? really? I hope some ppl ventured to charley's or rick's. far better in my opinion (although very different from each other).

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

julesm2200 wrote:it was the blue lep? really? I hope some ppl ventured to charley's or rick's. far better in my opinion (although very different from each other).
if you want to spend a couple bucks, ashleys is the place

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 pm

JRMjr wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:it was the blue lep? really? I hope some ppl ventured to charley's or rick's. far better in my opinion (although very different from each other).
Or go crazy and head over to Jolly Pumpkin. It's worth it.

jasmoon

New

Post by jasmoon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Hey everyone... ohmy212 and I are planning on cabbing together from the Detroit Metro airport to Ann Arbor next Thursday around noon if anyone is interested in joining. The more people, the cheaper the ride!
Definitely interested.
ankit wrote:
Ha ha....yeah not so much a scheduled breakfast as an incidental one! But looking at how tiny the Michigan League Inn seems to be, it wouldnt surprise me if only a very small number of us were accomodated there.

FYI, I'll be getting into DTW at 11:40 AM on Thursday.
I'm at the Michigan League as well. And what is this Darrow Breakfast you speak of? I'm intrigued.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm

JRMjr wrote:
if you have ever enjoyed any type of beer, you definitely have to check out ashleys.

and where is the jolly pumpkin? ive lived in ann arbor for 11 years and i've never heard of it...

choco39

New

Post by choco39 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Is anyone headed to Ann Arbor this weekend (March 19-20)? I can't make the admitted student weekends and am wondering if there will be other admitted students around. So excited!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm

choco39 wrote:Is anyone headed to Ann Arbor this weekend (March 19-20)? I can't make the admitted student weekends and am wondering if there will be other admitted students around. So excited!
I will be visiting from March 18th-20th. Maybe I'll see you around!

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm

julesm2200 wrote:and where is the jolly pumpkin? ive lived in ann arbor for 11 years and i've never heard of it...
It's on Main Street -- offshoot of the Dexter brewery that just won #1 Belgian ale in the world in the NYT.

http://jollypumpkin.com/annarbor/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/dinin ... 4wine.html

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm

lol ankit, looks like we got our answer :)

alien d

New

Post by alien d » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
if you have ever enjoyed any type of beer, you definitely have to check out ashleys.
Agreed. They have delicious stilton fries too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:26 pm

nixxers wrote:lol ankit, looks like we got our answer :)
Ha ha....yep we sure did!

urban_cdn

New

Post by urban_cdn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 pm

hey guys, ill be driving in from toronto on thursday morning the weekend of ASW - and the airport is pretty much on my way, so if anyone would like a free ride i could probably swing by and pick a few people up! just thought i'd offer :)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 pm

I posted this a couple of times but no one has taken me up... I land at 9:30 am on Thursday and have rented a mid-size car. If anyone lands around then I'd be happy to give you a ride...for free even. I'm also planning on looking at a couple of apartment complexes between 11:30-1. PM me for details.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

mayosmith wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:and where is the jolly pumpkin? ive lived in ann arbor for 11 years and i've never heard of it...
It's on Main Street -- offshoot of the Dexter brewery that just won #1 Belgian ale in the world in the NYT.

http://jollypumpkin.com/annarbor/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/dinin ... 4wine.html

Their beers are very good, though I didn't realize they had their own bar...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”