Widener Open House Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Aloha4

New

Widener Open House

Post by Aloha4 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Is anyone going to the Widener Open House on Jan 9th?

gocubs2010

New

Re: Widener Open House

Post by gocubs2010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:18 am

Aloha4 wrote:Is anyone going to the Widener Open House on Jan 9th?

which one? Delaware or Pennsylvania?

I have many good friends at Widener in Delaware and have been there several times. Please feel free to pm me with questions.

KCH

New

Post by KCH » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

I will be attending the (DE) open house as well.
I've never been, but I hear great things!

gocubs2010

New

Post by gocubs2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 am

its a pretty nice campus. the buildings were originally a community college but widener bought it once it closed. the library is very quiet and peaceful. lots of study cubicles. several big printers for all your westlaw and lexis needs. the residence halls are like any other residence hall. boring, white walls, etc..just like college. the food sucks there, but i guess it's better than nothing. in the immediate area there are lots of grocery stores so you don't have to get anally raped buying a $3 loaf of bread at the gas station. there is a mall and best buy right next to the campus. um....there is 1 bar right by campus called scrimmages. it's your basic sports bar. the big night during the week is wednesday. its called widener wednesday, and people go and get hammered. you are close to philadelphia if you want a bigger city, but there are more bars in wilmington a few minutes away if you dont want to go to philly. the classrooms are fairly spacious. if you need any other info i will ask my friends and let you know.

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the info. I checked out the campus and area and it seemed pretty cool. Good to know there are some bars in Wilmington because it didnt seem like alot in the area. And good to also know that people still go out and get smashed. I just found out I got in here so it really depends where else I get in. From my visit here, I did like the place. I'm wondering if there is a site that rates professors so I know which ones to take.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gocubs2010

New

Post by gocubs2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 am

well for 1L you don't get to choose your classes, so it really isn't a big deal.

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I see. What is housing like? Do most students live on the campus. I noticed there were quite a few apartments around 5 minutes away.

When I went to the open house the buildings looked very old from the outside, but inside it did seem reallly nice. Like you said, the library was very nice and seemed peaceful.

gocubs2010

New

Post by gocubs2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Aloha4 wrote:I see. What is housing like? Do most students live on the campus. I noticed there were quite a few apartments around 5 minutes away.

When I went to the open house the buildings looked very old from the outside, but inside it did seem reallly nice. Like you said, the library was very nice and seemed peaceful.
well the housing is all singles, which is a good thing. inside, its really just like a basic college dorm room. lots of people do live on campus. from what my friends say there are lots of apartments in the area so there is alot of competition and the rent is somewhat reasonable. most people live within 20 minutes of campus. one of my friends with money lived in philly (about 30-40 minutes away). of course if my father was a millionaire and owned the apartment i would venture to say the extra drive in the morning is a worthwhile sacrifice.

there were a great deal of people renting houses fairly close too. its the only law school in delaware and many make a living out of renting houses to widener law and delaware u. college students. from what my friends say the rents are fairly reasonable. the buildings are functional. there is wireless and everything, and there are plenty of seats...there is one classroom held in the room used for moot court competitions that is impressive. there was some decent technology from what they say, like video screens connected to computers so you could write on the screen with markers that looked like dry erase markers..i went there for a day to check out a class and it was pretty cool. i graduated from college almost 7 years ago so i have no idea if these are commonplace or not. i can assure you when i was in college, they weren't. almost nobody had laptops. sometimes i feel like a dinosaur around here.

if you want to know anything else, let me know and ill get the answers from my friends.

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Yea I saw the moot court room at the open house. It was very impressive. Thanks gocubs! I'm sure I'll have some other questions later that I'll PM you about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”