Visiting the University of Washington

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rachery

Re: University of Washington

Postby rachery » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 pm

When did you go in review??[/quote]

I've been in review since 12/4

Oh, and congrats! It looks like you will be one of the first acceptances this year. Is UW one of your top choices?[/quote]

I sure hope it's an acceptance! UW is definitely one of my top choices.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:27 pm

In at UW via snail mail! I came home from work to pick up my lunch and there was a small white envelope. I was relieved and happy that it was good news!

It stills says I'm "In Review" on my status checker.

Stats in profile. Good luck to everyone!

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:In at UW via snail mail! I came home from work to pick up my lunch and there was a small white envelope. I was relieved and happy that it was good news!

Congrats! Guess what the office said about no letters being mailed last week wasn't true after all.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:30 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:In at UW via snail mail! I came home from work to pick up my lunch and there was a small white envelope. I was relieved and happy that it was good news!

When did you go "in Review"

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Congrats!!! So jealous... Anybody still "ready for review" on their status checker???

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm

cr073137 wrote:

When did you go "in Review"

Oops! Forgot to give that info. I've been "In Review" since 12/4.

thestoryends

Postby thestoryends » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Neelio wrote:

Congrats!!! So jealous... Anybody still "ready for review" on their status checker???

grr ready for review since 12/15!

yeff

Postby yeff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Applied atrociously late, went in review yesterday.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 pm

yeff wrote:Applied atrociously late, went in review yesterday.

Just thought I should point you in the direction of the more active University of Washington thread. I am not sure why there are two. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97087&start=375

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 pm

jcl2 wrote:

Just thought I should point you in the direction of the more active University of Washington thread. I am not sure why there are two. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97087&start=375

Read my initial post, this was originally about me explaining my experience visiting the school, hence why it's in the "Law School Visits" thread.

Lol, I don't know how it turned into an admissions based one.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Xnegd wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

Read my initial post, this was originally about me explaining my experience visiting the school, hence why it's in the "Law School Visits" thread.

Lol, I don't know how it turned into an admissions based one.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I forgot that, my original response in this thread was on topic. I think it changed when a few people posted posted here about admissions stuff without reading the beginning of the thread or noticing what forum it was in. I think your change in the title should remedy the situation :D

pace4tutti

Re: Visiting the University of Washington

Postby pace4tutti » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 am

i need help!

uw was my first choice by a long shot but i applied everywhere that sent a fee waiver. now i have money to go to indiana which jumped from 36 to 23 in rankings in one year.

any opinions/advice? i know seattle would be amazing, but given that i want to do public interest should i avoid the debt and head to the middle of the country?

any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm

pace4tutti wrote:i need help!

uw was my first choice by a long shot but i applied everywhere that sent a fee waiver. now i have money to go to indiana which jumped from 36 to 23 in rankings in one year.

any opinions/advice? i know seattle would be amazing, but given that i want to do public interest should i avoid the debt and head to the middle of the country?

It really depends on what your goals and priorities are. If you really have no preference for where you end up then maybe taking the cheapest option makes sense, but not necessarily. I would not put too much stock in IU's new ranking, from what I have heard they used a one time expenditure to really boost their money spent per student, or something along those lines, so their ranking is likely to fall again pretty quickly. Historically UW is a more well respected and higher ranked school than Indiana, I think this years US news ranking is a bit of an anomaly and not necessarily representative of the relative perception of those two schools in the legal community. Regardless, a UW degree will certainly serve you much better in the western US, I'm not sure you would have much chance of starting your career anywhere on the west coast if you go to Indiana, so if that is at all a priority for you, UW is probably the better choice. UW also seems to have a very strong commitment to public interest/public service, though admittedly I know little about Indiana in that regard.

Also, what kind of money are we talking about here? UW's out of state tuition is already about $10,000 less than Indiana's and you can get in-state for your second two years, so make sure to factor that into your considerations.

pace4tutti

Postby pace4tutti » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 pm

jcl2 wrote:

It really depends on what your goals and priorities are. If you really have no preference for where you end up then maybe taking the cheapest option makes sense, but not necessarily. I would not put too much stock in IU's new ranking, from what I have heard they used a one time expenditure to really boost their money spent per student, or something along those lines, so their ranking is likely to fall again pretty quickly. Historically UW is a more well respected and higher ranked school than Indiana, I think this years US news ranking is a bit of an anomaly and not necessarily representative of the relative perception of those two schools in the legal community. Regardless, a UW degree will certainly serve you much better in the western US, I'm not sure you would have much chance of starting your career anywhere on the west coast if you go to Indiana, so if that is at all a priority for you, UW is probably the better choice. UW also seems to have a very strong commitment to public interest/public service, though admittedly I know little about Indiana in that regard.

Also, what kind of money are we talking about here? UW's out of state tuition is already about $10,000 less than Indiana's and you can get in-state for your second two years, so make sure to factor that into your considerations.

Thanks for the advice-- and i'm in complete agreement. the money is a full ride, which is what is complicating my decision. I'm going to see UW next week, hopefully angels will sing... or something... to help me know what's the right choice :)

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:38 pm

pace4tutti wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

Thanks for the advice-- and i'm in complete agreement. the money is a full ride, which is what is complicating my decision. I'm going to see UW next week, hopefully angels will sing... or something... to help me know what's the right choice :)

That is a tough choice, good luck!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”