Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jks289

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 pm

robotoroboto wrote:
jks289 wrote:
robotoroboto wrote:is anybody getting accepted off of EA? or all we are going straight to reserve or rejection?

i would withdraw but that would require a minimum of effort on my part, which they don't deserve.

There appear to be a few applicants who's status check hasn't changed yet. It is possible that there is an accept or two in that pile.

Edit to add: Please withdraw if you don't want to attend if accepted. Don't do it for them, do it for us. Every extra application is that much longer everyone will have to wait. :(

withdraw e-mail sent. BEST of luck to those who still want cornell!

If there was a hug and kisses smiley face, I would post it. Gracias!

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:56 pm

worst part is that if a lot of us hadn't applied EA, we'd be in

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:05 pm

imisscollege wrote:worst part is that if a lot of us hadn't applied EA, we'd be in

if Cornell had treated us the way they should have, as higher rather than lower priority applicants, at least the well qualified among us would already be in

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 pm

imisscollege wrote:worst part is that if a lot of us hadn't applied EA, we'd be in
Or out. Or formally waitlisted. But any of those would be better than this garbage.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:10 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Or out. Or formally waitlisted. But any of those would be better than this garbage.

i'm not sure that this is necessarily the thread for it but why is it that early "held" people are reviewed at the end--when they are at a disadvantage when their goal in applying early was to get every advantage they could? wouldn't it make more sense to review them in the middle when the school has an idea of the applicant pool but it's not full yet? this isn't cornell specific though; this is a general comment/question/issue

rabbitsrans

Postby rabbitsrans » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:38 pm

I don't think this is exactly true. I know a lot of people in this thread (and maybe in other threads with other schools) feel this way, but I am not convinced.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 pm

rabbitsrans wrote:

I don't think this is exactly true. I know a lot of people in this thread (and maybe in other threads with other schools) feel this way, but I am not convinced.

+1

I'm pretty sure I would've been put on "reserve" irrespective of my choice to apply EA, which means applying EA did not hurt me but I'm equally convinced it did not help me.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 pm

OneKnight wrote:
rabbitsrans wrote:

+1

I'm pretty sure I would've been put on "reserve" irrespective of my choice to apply EA, which means applying EA did not hurt me but I'm equally convinced it did not help me.

I don't think any one applicant can say "I would have gotten in" but as a group based on the numbers (assuming accurate reporting), I think it is safe to assume at least some of us would have gotten in were it not for EA. There are just too many 169-172s in the group (basically solid green on LSN) to assume we would all be reserves.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:51 pm

jks289 wrote:
OneKnight wrote:
rabbitsrans wrote:

+1

I don't think any one applicant can say "I would have gotten in" but as a group based on the numbers (assuming accurate reporting), I think it is safe to assume at least some of us would have gotten in were it not for EA. There are just too many 169-172s in the group (basically solid green on LSN) to assume we would all be reserves.

Are there any 169-172s with 3.7s or higher? Looks to me like there is a decent smattering of yellow below 3.7 and solid green above it (not to mention below 3.2 has a decent number of rejections. I'm not trying to say Cornell's treatment of EA applicants was fabulous, but I would only be surprised if there were a glut of 169-172/3.7+s hanging with me in the EA deferred->reserve pile.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:58 pm

[/quote] I don't think any one applicant can say "I would have gotten in" but as a group based on the numbers (assuming accurate reporting), I think it is safe to assume at least some of us would have gotten in were it not for EA. There are just too many 169-172s in the group (basically solid green on LSN) to assume we would all be reserves.[/quote]

Are there any 169-172s with 3.7s or higher? Looks to me like there is a decent smattering of yellow below 3.7 and solid green above it (not to mention below 3.2 has a decent number of rejections. I'm not trying to say Cornell's treatment of EA applicants was fabulous, but I would only be surprised if there were a glut of 169-172/3.7+s hanging with me in the EA deferred->reserve pile.[/quote]

I agree, but with a 168, 3.83, I figured I wouldn't be waiting around for this much time.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 pm

ppa840 wrote: I don't think any one applicant can say "I would have gotten in" but as a group based on the numbers (assuming accurate reporting), I think it is safe to assume at least some of us would have gotten in were it not for EA. There are just too many 169-172s in the group (basically solid green on LSN) to assume we would all be reserves.

Are there any 169-172s with 3.7s or higher? Looks to me like there is a decent smattering of yellow below 3.7 and solid green above it (not to mention below 3.2 has a decent number of rejections. I'm not trying to say Cornell's treatment of EA applicants was fabulous, but I would only be surprised if there were a glut of 169-172/3.7+s hanging with me in the EA deferred->reserve pile.[/quote]

I agree, but with a 168, 3.83, I figured I wouldn't be waiting around for this much time.[/quote]

Your numbers are definitely unlikely for a deferred->reserve candidate.

I was definitely surprised to be reserved given last year's numbers, but this year it's just that much more competitive...
Last edited by OneKnight on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rabbitsrans

Postby rabbitsrans » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 pm

As frustrating as it is, I would rather take Cornell at their word. I can imagine admissions would read this thread with the same level of frustration. With such a large increase in applications, predictions based on past medians are uncertain. Also, it is my understanding that last years thread went through the exact same timeline as this thread.

If anyone wants to step out and say they have a gpa/lsat well about 75% and are still on reserve, then that is something I could gawk at. But when everyon hovers under/around 25%-75% or is splitting, there is no reason to believe that our applications would be resolved if they were RD.

I think the language from the letter is at least optimistic. We are still alive. Most of us are accepted at schools that we are happy with. We can play trivia until the end of May.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

3.4, 169 here, and I still am complete. I think this is a good sign, right? Perhaps an acceptance might be coming soon.

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:06 pm

GermX wrote:3.4, 169 here, and I still am complete. I think this is a good sign, right? Perhaps an acceptance might be coming soon.

When did you go EA Complete?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 am

Who else has not had their status updated? I'm still at my original Decision date of 11/24/09.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:51 am

OneKnight wrote:
jks289 wrote:
OneKnight wrote:
rabbitsrans wrote:

+1

Are there any 169-172s with 3.7s or higher? Looks to me like there is a decent smattering of yellow below 3.7 and solid green above it (not to mention below 3.2 has a decent number of rejections. I'm not trying to say Cornell's treatment of EA applicants was fabulous, but I would only be surprised if there were a glut of 169-172/3.7+s hanging with me in the EA deferred->reserve pile.

These are my numbers. I'm not broken hearted (I don't care too much at this point, tbh). I just think Cornell missed out on some strong applicants. That said, if Cornell's medians go down next year, Ill laugh a little. If they go up, I guess this was an effective admissions strategy.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Do you guys think a visit at this point is warranted? Or is it still too soon (maybe wait if I'm summer waitlisted?) I read on this thread that some people visited after the first deferral notice, and the people in Cornell admissions seemed annoyed.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Do you guys think a visit at this point is warranted? Or is it still too soon (maybe wait if I'm summer waitlisted?) I read on this thread that some people visited after the first deferral notice, and the people in Cornell admissions seemed annoyed.

I was back East last week and considered visiting but decided against it. I may consider going if I get summer waitlist.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:35 pm

jks289 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Do you guys think a visit at this point is warranted? Or is it still too soon (maybe wait if I'm summer waitlisted?) I read on this thread that some people visited after the first deferral notice, and the people in Cornell admissions seemed annoyed.

I was back East last week and considered visiting but decided against it. I may consider going if I get summer waitlist.

Ok. I'll probably do the same, last thing I want to do is annoy them.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:06 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Ok. I'll probably do the same, last thing I want to do is annoy them.

I don't think it can really hurt you if you just want to go and see the school. I doubt they look at your app and say "SilverE2 came to visit. The nerve!! Out!" For me it was just obvious it didn't help and the last thing I want is to fall in love with a campus that I'll never get to attend.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Waitlisted...this concludes my cycle :D .

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 pm

ppa840 wrote:Waitlisted...this concludes my cycle :D .

Placed on reserve or actual Waitlist?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:07 am

jks289 wrote:

+1? If you were waitlisted, then that probably means being on the reserve list is somewhere between being waitlisted and accepted?

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm

jks289 wrote:

Actual waitlist with both numbers at their 75%

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

ppa840 wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Actual waitlist with both numbers at their 75%

Crazy and very inconsistent with their other decisions. Do you have something really unusual about your application? You applied early action? At any rate, I'm sorry to hear that. Will you be staying on the WL or attending somewhere else?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”