Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RhubarbPie

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby RhubarbPie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:47 pm

JayTal wrote:DR 4/14...reserve

Did you call or get mail? I'm DR 4/14 as well.

ilovelawapps

Postby ilovelawapps » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 pm

DR 4/14 Reserve as well.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:52 pm

DR 4/14, no letter yet but also no status checker link, so, at BEST reserve. WTF. Cornell, there is NO WAY I am going to choose you over UCLA at this point. :?

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Got my "reserve" letter in the mail. What a joke.

At this point, I'm not sure if there is anything Cornell could offer me to get me to go there over Michigan. Probably will withdraw on Monday...

chinagator

Postby chinagator » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:11 pm

DR 4/14. I'm assuming it's a reserve, since no link to admitted students section. I really don't understand why Cornell dragged us EA students through the mud like this. oh well...200K is too much to spend on an education in the end anyways.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:00 pm

DR 4/14
Received my "Reserve" letter today. I'm going to deposit at UVa, but I'm going to send another LOCI to Cornell. I'll definitely wait until the end of May for a decision, but if they then put me on the summer wait list, I'll probably withdraw.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Also went DR today with 4/14 date, reserve city.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:40 pm

I've had a busy weekend, but DR 4/14, reserve letter in the mail yesterday. You do not amuse me, Cornell.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:07 pm

My favorite part of the letter was "let me explain our situation"...lol

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:53 pm

OneKnight wrote:My favorite part of the letter was "let me explain our situation"...lol

haha can you elaborate on that, it sounds like an interesting explanation follows

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:07 pm

SanBun wrote:
OneKnight wrote:My favorite part of the letter was "let me explain our situation"...lol

haha can you elaborate on that, it sounds like an interesting explanation follows

Unfortunately, it's mostly just platitudes.

"Let me explain our situation. This year we've received over 6,000 applications for the 190 places in our entering class. A large number of these people deserve an offer of admission. Unfortunately, we're not able to admit every deserving person and, since our small size is such a high priority, we have to be very cautious about the number of offers we make; otherwise, we could end up with an overly large entering class..."

The important information is this:

"Later in the season after we've begun to hear back from people already accepted (usually by mid to late May), we decide if further offers are appropriate. If so, we review the files of all reserve applicants and make additional decisions. At that point, we also create our official summer waiting list."

I'm sure you're super-excited to get this letter! :P

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:50 pm

remember a few weeks ago when we were all like, look at last year's thread! it's awful!

this thread has become that thread. cornell schmornell

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:18 pm

OneKnight wrote:
SanBun wrote:

Unfortunately, it's mostly just platitudes.

"Let me explain our situation. This year we've received over 6,000 applications for the 190 places in our entering class. A large number of these people deserve an offer of admission. Unfortunately, we're not able to admit every deserving person and, since our small size is such a high priority, we have to be very cautious about the number of offers we make; otherwise, we could end up with an overly large entering class..."

The important information is this:

"Later in the season after we've begun to hear back from people already accepted (usually by mid to late May), we decide if further offers are appropriate. If so, we review the files of all reserve applicants and make additional decisions. At that point, we also create our official summer waiting list."

I'm sure you're super-excited to get this letter! :P

thanks for typing this up

yeah, I'll be getting one of those soon. They still failed to explain why EA people slipped to least prioritized applicants. To be honest, I would expect something closer to an apology for effectively punishing us for our foresight and interest in their school.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:43 pm

also dr 4/14. will withdraw as soon as i get the letter.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm

OneKnight wrote:"Let me explain our situation. This year we've received over 6,000 applications for the 190 places in our entering class. A large number of these people deserve an offer of admission. Unfortunately, we're not able to admit every deserving person and, since our small size is such a high priority, we have to be very cautious about the number of offers we make; otherwise, we could end up with an overly large entering class..."

[...]

Read:

"Let me explain our situation. If we over enroll our entering class, it's seriously going to hurt our expenditures per student, which would be counterintuitive given the steps we've already taken to maximize our USNWR score in this category. (That is, jack the tuition above $50k/yr.)

Furthermore, we would prefer to wait until June to protect our yield, as only the most [strike]desperate[/strike] masochistic of your peers will be willing to put up with our bullshit for eight months, and thus, more likely to accept our offer."

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:14 am

^ sounds about right.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:57 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
OneKnight wrote:"Let me explain our situation. This year we've received over 6,000 applications for the 190 places in our entering class. A large number of these people deserve an offer of admission. Unfortunately, we're not able to admit every deserving person and, since our small size is such a high priority, we have to be very cautious about the number of offers we make; otherwise, we could end up with an overly large entering class..."

[...]

Read:

"Let me explain our situation. If we over enroll our entering class, it's seriously going to hurt our expenditures per student, which would be counterintuitive given the steps we've already taken to maximize our USNWR score in this category. (That is, jack the tuition above $50k/yr.)

Furthermore, we would prefer to wait until June to protect our yield, as only the most [strike]desperate[/strike] masochistic of your peers will be willing to put up with our bullshit for eight months, and thus, more likely to accept our offer."

hahahaha HILARIOUS!!

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 am

Got my reserve letter on Saturday. Going to withdraw today. I'm not interested in sending additional LOCI's to maybe get on the waitlist.

Edit: Withdrawn, good luck everyone.

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 am

DR 4/14 I will likely withdraw. The treatment of EA applicants has been the opposite of classy. At this point in the cycle I can´t convince myself to pay 200K for the middle of nowhere when I have money and friends at BU.

There go my dreams of the ivy league....

unless that random Columbia waitlist comes through(doubtful).

Best of luck to you all who are still hellbent on Cornell.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 am

is anybody getting accepted off of EA? or all we are going straight to reserve or rejection?

i would withdraw but that would require a minimum of effort on my part, which they don't deserve.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:28 pm

robotoroboto wrote:is anybody getting accepted off of EA? or all we are going straight to reserve or rejection?

i would withdraw but that would require a minimum of effort on my part, which they don't deserve.

There appear to be a few applicants who's status check hasn't changed yet. It is possible that there is an accept or two in that pile.

Edit to add: Please withdraw if you don't want to attend if accepted. Don't do it for them, do it for us. Every extra application is that much longer everyone will have to wait. :(

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm

I was put on reserve. I'm withdrawing.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

[...]

Read:

hehehe

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 pm

so today they decided not to answer any phone calls, now I can't even find out I will be dragged through the mud for another 3-4 months. Classy, so classy.

my status changed to DR 4/14 but I'm abroad and unable to check mail, so I actually have to call.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:03 pm

jks289 wrote:
robotoroboto wrote:is anybody getting accepted off of EA? or all we are going straight to reserve or rejection?

There appear to be a few applicants who's status check hasn't changed yet. It is possible that there is an accept or two in that pile.

Edit to add: Please withdraw if you don't want to attend if accepted. Don't do it for them, do it for us. Every extra application is that much longer everyone will have to wait. :(

withdraw e-mail sent. BEST of luck to those who still want cornell!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”