Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jks289

Re: Princeton Law EA Deferred Crew

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:58 pm

krispykitten wrote:Image

I know, I know I'm a bad person... I'm surprised I was the first one to do it honestly :P To tell you the truth, I was afraid I would go to "decision" today and not know if it was for realsies or not.

/plz don't kill me :P

Haha, preying on the desperation of this thread for cheap laughs. For shame, kripsy, for shame. :D

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 pm

I tried to keep cool, but my heart was racing too...

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ladiesandgerms

Postby ladiesandgerms » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 pm

jks289 wrote:Any other admits? How strange to just let in one person (or one on this site). Sorry ladiesandgerms, but I sort of suspect with 7 posts you might be a flame. Don't take it personally I trust no one.

Anyone think we will have some movement once the deposit deadline passes? It's April 15th correct? Has everyone in this thread reconciled themselves to paying $70,000 a year COA or are people still hoping for some kind of money?

Don't worry about it. I would totally think I was a flame too, but for what it's worth I actually did get in! I'll be at the ASD on the 9th. Why just me and nobody else on the site, who knows? Your guess is as good as mine.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 pm

ladiesandgerms wrote:
jks289 wrote:Any other admits? How strange to just let in one person (or one on this site). Sorry ladiesandgerms, but I sort of suspect with 7 posts you might be a flame. Don't take it personally I trust no one.

Anyone think we will have some movement once the deposit deadline passes? It's April 15th correct? Has everyone in this thread reconciled themselves to paying $70,000 a year COA or are people still hoping for some kind of money?

Don't worry about it. I would totally think I was a flame too, but for what it's worth I actually did get in! I'll be at the ASD on the 9th. Why just me and nobody else on the site, who knows? Your guess is as good as mine.
it happened this way last year from looking at the threads from back then.....acceptances are sporadic...it's the placing of ea deferred students on reserve that is in mass.

SanBun

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby SanBun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:27 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:They were not overt assholes but they were pretty cold once I told them I was not an admit but an EA defer-ee. I got the sense they were surprised I was visiting, and not in a good way. I got the vibe that they had to deal with the deferred group enough and was very...exhausted by fielding our questions.
I don't think it was worth anything in the way of admissions. I might've been stupid to go - at this point I am certain Cornell is for me but am even more disheartened by likelihood of a rejection.

Same reaction when I visited in early Dec.

Same here, visited in January- and I also consider myself "good with people". I visited another school, one that's even tougher to get in and has had a similarly steep increase in apps, and I ended up making jokes and laughing with the admissions person- it was lovely.

Cornell didn't seem to care that I had come a looooong way to show my interest, all I got was an unmotivated tour- the person touring certainly would have preferred if I didn't bother them with their work.

Rayjay

Postby Rayjay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:39 am

I just wanted to say that this whole process is starting to piss me off. I am finding myself jealous of friends that have already sent in their deposits to tier 4 schools.....at least the anxiety is over for them. I, on the other hand, am stuck checking my email and status check every 10 minutes.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:28 pm

najumobi wrote:
ladiesandgerms wrote:

it happened this way last year from looking at the threads from back then.....acceptances are sporadic...it's the placing of ea deferred students on reserve that is in mass.

Ha, I was mostly kidding. I don't think ladiesandgerms is lying. :D And to be fair, this site isn't representative of the entire applicant pool, so it probably wasn't just one person. I am just getting so nervous. My exact numbers twin was waitlisted this week according to LSN, and while I don't think my numbers will get rejected, I do think I will probably end up on the dreaded reserve list. My husband told me if I brought up Cornell EA Deferred or what people "on that website" were hearing again he was going to throw me out a window (he was kidding... I think). I don't think my marriage or my sanity can survive another two or three months of waiting.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 pm

OK peeps I talked to the admissions office lady who was really nice (as always). Here is what she told me EA applications are being pulled "at random" and sent to the committee. She told me my application was still in their office so I had time to add something if I wanted to. But once the file goes out, they aren't able to track it down until a decision is made. She said this is going to happen over the next few weeks, and applicants will be told as decisions are made. She said there was no way to influence when you ap was pulled (and that adding more information wouldn't delay it, either). So there ya go. She was really nice about it and volunteered to pull up my info and tell me if my file had been sent out yet. God, I wish I knew more about this mysterious "committee."

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:56 pm

jks289 wrote:OK peeps I talked to the admissions office lady who was really nice (as always). Here is what she told me EA applications are being pulled "at random" and sent to the committee. She told me my application was still in their office so I had time to add something if I wanted to. But once the file goes out, they aren't able to track it down until a decision is made. She said this is going to happen over the next few weeks, and applicants will be told as decisions are made. She said there was no way to influence when you ap was pulled (and that adding more information wouldn't delay it, either). So there ya go. She was really nice about it and volunteered to pull up my info and tell me if my file had been sent out yet. God, I wish I knew more about this mysterious "committee."

Thanks for calling! and for the info.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm

jks289 wrote:OK peeps I talked to the admissions office lady who was really nice (as always). Here is what she told me EA applications are being pulled "at random" and sent to the committee. She told me my application was still in their office so I had time to add something if I wanted to. But once the file goes out, they aren't able to track it down until a decision is made. She said this is going to happen over the next few weeks, and applicants will be told as decisions are made. She said there was no way to influence when you ap was pulled (and that adding more information wouldn't delay it, either). So there ya go. She was really nice about it and volunteered to pull up my info and tell me if my file had been sent out yet. God, I wish I knew more about this mysterious "committee."

Yes, thanks for calling. I hope they are pulling massive amounts of held files at a time, and not just 1 or 2 at their leisure.

Someone made some thread about what you regret about this cycle (or what you wish you did, in hindsight) and I was thinking "I wish I would've decided to drag my feet a little longer, and send my Cornell application in after the New Year. Or February even. Probably would've had my decision at this point." I hope this admission strategy (or lack thereof) comes back to bite them at the end of the cycle. Hopefully Cornell's medians drop.

Rayjay

Re: Cornell Law EA Deferred Crew

Postby Rayjay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes, how do people feel about this 70/yr. I, for one, am not so sure about it. I am thinking about just taking money at a slightly less prestigious school.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Belated congrats, ladiesandgerms.

70k/year is a ton. I'm considering BU at about half that price. But... if I take advantage of IBR + 10 year forgiveness in public service, as I plan to, the difference won't be significant in terms of repayment. The down side is that Cornell would pretty much lock me into the "IBR + 10" plan. I'd definitely have more financial flexibility coming out of BU.

Ha. Look at me write about Cornell like it's actually an option. :roll:

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Rayjay wrote:

Yes, how do people feel about this 70/yr. I, for one, am not so sure about it. I am thinking about just taking money at a slightly less prestigious school.

I recently got really great scholarship/financial aid news from BU, which would make living alone close to the campus there a possibility. That plus the fact that BU actually seems to be interested in me and courting me makes me feel, in my gut, that it would be a better decision to go there, no matter what news I eventually get from Cornell. I will be putting in a deposit at BU this week, and then see what happens with Cornell. But the behavior of Cornell in this cycle plus the dismal reviews of the university that I've gotten from friends who have visited Ithaca while looking at other grad programs (everyone at the school, apparently, seems like a depressed zombie), have made my feelings towards going there make almost a complete 180 since last fall. Maybe it's sour grapes, but it will be a hard decision to make to accept any unlikely offer that Cornell would make.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm

robotoroboto wrote:
Rayjay wrote:

I recently got really great scholarship/financial aid news from BU, which would make living alone close to the campus there a possibility. That plus the fact that BU actually seems to be interested in me and courting me makes me feel, in my gut, that it would be a better decision to go there, no matter what news I eventually get from Cornell. I will be putting in a deposit at BU this week, and then see what happens with Cornell. But the behavior of Cornell in this cycle plus the dismal reviews of the university that I've gotten from friends who have visited Ithaca while looking at other grad programs (everyone at the school, apparently, seems like a depressed zombie), have made my feelings towards going there make almost a complete 180 since last fall. Maybe it's sour grapes, but it will be a hard decision to make to accept any unlikely offer that Cornell would make.

Not to derail the thread, but what are your numbers/offer from BU? They are reevaluating my aid offer right now, so I'm interested to see what they are handing out. I think a lot of people in this thread are down to BU vs Cornell (if they want us). Maybe we'll all end up at the same school after all. :)

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 pm

robotoroboto wrote:everyone at the school, apparently, seems like a [...] zombie

Sea of zombies + a heavily armed Rambo = Total Win

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:42 pm

krispykitten wrote:Well guys, it's been fun, but I'm going ahead and withdrawing. I got an increase on my W&M scholarship and I just really can't afford sticker, or even with a slight discount, at Cornell. Best of luck to you guys!

Congrats on your decision Krispy... it's been a long cycle, but we made it! Good luck at W&M - it's so beautiful there!

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 pm

[\quote] I recently got really great scholarship/financial aid news from BU, which would make living alone close to the campus there a possibility. That plus the fact that BU actually seems to be interested in me and courting me makes me feel, in my gut, that it would be a better decision to go there, no matter what news I eventually get from Cornell. I will be putting in a deposit at BU this week, and then see what happens with Cornell. But the behavior of Cornell in this cycle plus the dismal reviews of the university that I've gotten from friends who have visited Ithaca while looking at other grad programs (everyone at the school, apparently, seems like a depressed zombie), have made my feelings towards going there make almost a complete 180 since last fall. Maybe it's sour grapes, but it will be a hard decision to make to accept any unlikely offer that Cornell would make.[/quote]

I have met very few people here who seem like depressed zombies. I understand the frustration of everybody on this board and think it sucks that people have had to wait this long. I also understand wanting to come to a place that feels like it wants you, it is part of why I came to Cornell.

However, I have to say, Cornell IS a great place to be. The people are great, the professors are amazing and it really isn't a bad place to live for three years. Again, good luck to you all. If you get the offer, give Cornell a chance. I would not want to be anywhere else.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 pm

krispykitten wrote:Well guys, it's been fun, but I'm going ahead and withdrawing. I got an increase on my W&M scholarship and I just really can't afford sticker, or even with a slight discount, at Cornell. Best of luck to you guys!

why is it like this binary: W&M or Cornell? you have money from schools in the middle. the middle. THE MIDDLE!!!

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:59 pm

gymboree wrote:

Congrats on your decision Krispy... it's been a long cycle, but we made it! Good luck at W&M - it's so beautiful there!

how the fuck did you get into berkely? seriously, i want to know.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Congrats on ending your cycle, krispy!! W&M is a beautiful place and lucky to have you. You can still come visit us, though. :D

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm

krispykitten wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

why is it like this binary: W&M or Cornell? you have money from schools in the middle. the middle. THE MIDDLE!!!

Because it's only going to cost me 12k a year there. Everywhere else will be about 30k. Also, I want to work in VA, so it makes sense to stay in VA.

I see.

Best of luck with your middle-management law job in a tertiary market, I suppose.

$45k/year. yeah. great. good for you. money and time well-spent.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

Because it's only going to cost me 12k a year there. Everywhere else will be about 30k. Also, I want to work in VA, so it makes sense to stay in VA.

I see.

Best of luck with your middle-management law job in a tertiary market, I suppose.

$45k/year. yeah. great. good for you. money and time well-spent.

Can you go troll another thread? Or at the very least, if you are going to be a raging asshole try to be mildly creative, humorous, or original?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”