Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:37 am

hockeylawyer wrote:Where is the Cornell interview I heard about?


I believe this was for a student currently in the college at Cornell. No?

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby wired » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Alright, updated my transcript and sent in a LOCI with some other softs. Here's hoping it does something.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:37 pm

It might be helpful if from now on we all post our stats. Hadn't thought of that earlier.

I'm exactly at the 75% LSAT, and lower than the 25% GPA.

-HL

Also, I am constructing a Why Cornell addendum, sending in an updated transcript, and revising/updating my resume.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby wired » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:08 pm

169 / Applied with a 3.4, just updated with a .05 GPA jump after a 4.0 semester, so it is now a 3.45.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby billyez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:09 pm

I''m 160/3.0 URM. However, Cornell's e-mail correspondence with me made it clear that they won't look at my December score of 160 and that they don't like looking at more than 2 socres (December was my fourth time). I have to pray that law schools are as predictable as I thought and care only about the score that they'll ultimately report to the rankings if I want a chance. I was lucky to be waitlisted with my 157.

I suggest looking at the previous years Cornell Deferred thread. It seems people didn't start getting responses until March and some were even re-reviewed later. I'm going to take my Dad's advice and move on - at first I took it as a sign that he didn't believe I could get in, but now I understand that he realizes that waiting for a response or worrying about this is a time sink. I suggest others do the same. It could shape up to be a long wait.

That being said, I'd like your opinion folks. I sent a Why Cornell with my original application. My LOCI said that I would go to Cornell if they accepted me "no matter the cost" and focused less on new information and more on my committment. That's good and all, but I can only do that once. What I would really like to do is send them an LSAT addendum saying that my three point increase should be considered a more accurate estimation of my abilities...but I don't really have a reason. Plus, I scored a 157 twice so I can understand why they can make the case that the 160 isn't the most accurate score.

Last but not least, I'm taking 21 to 24 hours next semester. I'm considering sending a letter with my last recommendation letter saying that my GPA increase would put me much closer to their median (which it would). Too presumptive?

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby OneKnight » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:49 pm

LSAT = 25th, GPA >>> 75th
Sent in LOCI - updated CV information included.
Going to send in grades when received.
Good luck everyone!

rsg87
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby rsg87 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I sent in a LOCI a few weeks ago. It was very short but polite. They kind of pissed me off because I felt I had a very good chance to be admitted EA but I guess they didn't think so. I thought with a 171/3.8 I was a somewhat shoe in but I guess I was overconfident with this competitive cycle.

User avatar
somewherewarm
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby somewherewarm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:25 pm

This may have been answered already but does anyone if the fact that we were deferred will hurt our chances with RD?

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:53 pm

somewherewarm wrote:This may have been answered already but does anyone if the fact that we were deferred will hurt our chances with RD?


Just conjecturing at this point, but I don't think it would hurt our chances from here on out. In fact, based on the stats of people who were deferred and who typically ends up matriculating at Cornell, I think many - and perhaps most - of Cornell's incoming class who applied EA were deferred.

The only people I saw getting admitted EA were auto-admits above both 75ths. I'll bet about 10 people or so actually end up accepting the big time scholarships and forgo higher ranked schools. The rest I think will end up attending higher ranked schools, freeing up some space for us "regulars".

At least this is what I am hoping!

-HL

Do you guys think I should send my LOCI and updated resume via email, snail mail, or both? Also, did anyone get a confirmation email from the office when they submitted their brief letter of continued interest via email?

Thanks!
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby danidancer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:51 am

Finally got off my post-holiday ass and drafted my LOCI tonight. Letting it sit for awhile now, coming back with fresh eyes tomorrow and, hopefully anyway, sending it off via email and USPS tomorrow night.

Good luck to all the other poor unfortunate souls stuck in this thread! Let the 2nd round of waiting begin!

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby mbw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:This may have been answered already but does anyone if the fact that we were deferred will hurt our chances with RD?


Just conjecturing at this point, but I don't think it would hurt our chances from here on out. In fact, based on the stats of people who were deferred and who typically ends up matriculating at Cornell, I think many - and perhaps most - of Cornell's incoming class who applied EA were deferred.

The only people I saw getting admitted EA were auto-admits above both 75ths. I'll bet about 10 people or so actually end up accepting the big time scholarships and forgo higher ranked schools. The rest I think will end up attending higher ranked schools, freeing up some space for us "regulars".

At least this is what I am hoping!

-HL

Do you guys think I should send my LOCI and updated resume via email, snail mail, or both? Also, did anyone get a confirmation email from the office when they submitted their brief letter of continued interest via email?

Thanks!


I think that what you're hoping is exactly the case, and this is the right frame of mind in which to wait this one out.

I was in the first group of EA-deferral admits, so I'll hunt through my posts to see around when I was accepted (I was traveling in a remote area all last winter/spring, so didn't get the mail before I received a "are you coming to ASW" call.) I'm pretty sure it was early March.

Just a heads up - there are a number of staffing changes occurring rights now in admissions (all positive, but changes nonetheless) and that may result in different schedules than in previous years.

Anyway, good luck to all of you. I think about 1/5 of my class was represented at one time or another on TLS, so chances are probably pretty high that many of you will end up in Ithaca next summer.

Cognoscenti
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Cognoscenti » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Is it true that they won't look at a 3rd LSAT score? Anyone have confirmation whether or not Cornell will consider Feb LSATs?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Cognoscenti wrote:Is it true that they won't look at a 3rd LSAT score? Anyone have confirmation whether or not Cornell will consider Feb LSATs?

I have three LSATs and I can guarantee you they looked at my third when they deferred me, or else I would have been rejected.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Veritas wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:Is it true that they won't look at a 3rd LSAT score? Anyone have confirmation whether or not Cornell will consider Feb LSATs?

I have three LSATs and I can guarantee you they looked at my third when they deferred me, or else I would have been rejected.


Same here. I will strengthen Veritas' statement: If they didn't look at my third score, they would have called me to laugh in my ear.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Checking in.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm

mbw wrote:I think that what you're hoping is exactly the case, and this is the right frame of mind in which to wait this one out.

I was in the first group of EA-deferral admits, so I'll hunt through my posts to see around when I was accepted (I was traveling in a remote area all last winter/spring, so didn't get the mail before I received a "are you coming to ASW" call.) I'm pretty sure it was early March.

Just a heads up - there are a number of staffing changes occurring rights now in admissions (all positive, but changes nonetheless) and that may result in different schedules than in previous years.

Anyway, good luck to all of you. I think about 1/5 of my class was represented at one time or another on TLS, so chances are probably pretty high that many of you will end up in Ithaca next summer.


Thank you! Please do post this information if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

-HL

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:Is it true that they won't look at a 3rd LSAT score? Anyone have confirmation whether or not Cornell will consider Feb LSATs?

I have three LSATs and I can guarantee you they looked at my third when they deferred me, or else I would have been rejected.


Same here. I will strengthen Veritas' statement: If they didn't look at my third score, they would have called me to laugh in my ear and then set me on fire.

ftfy for me

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I think I'm going to send my LOCI tomorrow. I just kind of carry on about the water law clinic, you think that's ok?

Cognoscenti
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Cognoscenti » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Veritas wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:Is it true that they won't look at a 3rd LSAT score? Anyone have confirmation whether or not Cornell will consider Feb LSATs?

I have three LSATs and I can guarantee you they looked at my third when they deferred me, or else I would have been rejected.


Same here. I will strengthen Veritas' statement: If they didn't look at my third score, they would have called me to laugh in my ear and then set me on fire.

ftfy for me


thank you all for saving me from having a anxiety attack!
I wonder what the other poster was talking about when he/she said Cornell only looks at the first 2?
I'm retaking the LSAT in Feb (my numbers are weak) and I really hope I'm not wasting my time. I mentioned the retake in my LOCI, but do you think I should call and confirm that they'll consider the score?

User avatar
sirchristaylor
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby sirchristaylor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Mosca wrote:It was really just a long response to the deferral letter. I stated my reason for wanting to remain in consideration, why I love the school, etc. I plan on sending one every month until I am accepted or rejected


+1

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby mbw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
mbw wrote:I think that what you're hoping is exactly the case, and this is the right frame of mind in which to wait this one out.

I was in the first group of EA-deferral admits, so I'll hunt through my posts to see around when I was accepted (I was traveling in a remote area all last winter/spring, so didn't get the mail before I received a "are you coming to ASW" call.) I'm pretty sure it was early March.

Just a heads up - there are a number of staffing changes occurring rights now in admissions (all positive, but changes nonetheless) and that may result in different schedules than in previous years.

Anyway, good luck to all of you. I think about 1/5 of my class was represented at one time or another on TLS, so chances are probably pretty high that many of you will end up in Ithaca next summer.


Thank you! Please do post this information if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

-HL


The decision date was 3/10, although the letter was dated 3/9.

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby MirandaHobbes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:55 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/educa ... d.html?hpw

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Apps may be up, but I wonder what the quality of those apps is. I know for the LSAT, more takers means that a top score doesn't carry as much power, but I wonder what peoples' GPAs are like. Traditionally speaking, people who move off into the business field or who weren't targeting their studies with a specific goal in mind don't end up with the high end GPAs. I know I'm being a little wishful here, but I just wonder.

Miranda, I have to disagree with your sentiment in the other Cornell thread about standing little chance of getting in off of the deferral list. Cornell's incoming classes have always had a high number of deferrees enroll. Granted, this year seems to be quite special, so we'll see.

-HL

see18
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Veritas wrote:I think I'm going to send my LOCI tomorrow. I just kind of carry on about the water law clinic, you think that's ok?



I did the same thing, except for the Human Rights Clinic, so I'm hoping that's okay.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby billyez » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:03 am

Cognoscenti wrote:
thank you all for saving me from having a anxiety attack!
I wonder what the other poster was talking about when he/she said Cornell only looks at the first 2?
I'm retaking the LSAT in Feb (my numbers are weak) and I really hope I'm not wasting my time. I mentioned the retake in my LOCI, but do you think I should call and confirm that they'll consider the score?


Yep, that was me. At least, I think it was. Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Cornell asking them if htey would look at my December score, which, would have been my fourth and they said no. They stated that they didn't like to look at more than two scores.

That being said, when I got my LSAT score they still requested it. Schools can request LSAC not to send it to them. So, go with Veritas and others on this one.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”