Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cutiewiddlebebe

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Considering what I already have in hand, I'll be staying in, but mostly for spite. :)

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm

beef wellington wrote:
jks289 wrote:So, have we all settled on Plan B at this point? I am still deciding between WashU and BU. I feel like the fact the Cornell is still out there lurking is making the decision harder somehow. I have almost reached the point of feeling like whatever the decision is I just want to know so I can get started with the next phase of looking at apartments, planning the move, buying the 0L summer books everyone scoffs at but secretly has, etc. Not sure what I am going to do with the next 6 weeks. Anyone else?

I'm on 8 freaking WLs and also held at Northwestern so Cornell isn't exactly screwing up my cycle at this point. It's looking more likely I'll have to deposit at UMN, which doesn't excite me.

+1 but 5 WLs (withdrew from Vandy over the weekend, so now 4), held at Northwestern and Cornell, and still pending at USC and NYU. I'm committed to Fordham with a scholarship now, but will gladly pay sticker for any of the T14s I'm WL'd at! As other posters have said, I just want to move on and get started on my LS life. Given apt. hunting and the fact that my current NYC lease is up July 31, I think I'm giving the outstanding WLs/decisions until July 1 to come through before withdrawing.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 pm

SanBun wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I'm going to assume they are operating in good faith. Why not?

Um, because they seem to know the extent of the delay but haven't informed the whole group. I concede that others may have a more generous definition of "good faith" than I.

thanks roboto and philosoraptor,
I'm glad you guys agree and you're not trying to suck up to Cornell out of fear they will identify you behind your TLS name hahaha

but all jokes aside, I think Cornell has taken us for granted and treated as unworthy of communication despite the fact that we should now officially be part of their RD pool (according to their letter). That just screams to me that they're primarily interested in ranking/ boost (which explains the fact that they prioritize WSJ interviews over communicating with us). Why give the deferred EA applicants a fair shot when the increase of the RD pool yields enough lucrative numbers? Really doesn't take a genius to figure out the reasoning behind this little game.

I believe in the beauty and importance of the law, but quite frankly the influence USNWR rankings turns legal institutions impersonal, profit oriented machines. The oh-so respectable, holistic Cornell Law School apparently is no exception. It's just so sad.

I wrote Cornell off. I agree that I would have preferred some sort of decision. I was held for for further review by Texas but they at least ended up letting me know a couple months later that I was wait listed.

I called Cornell and they said that they are aware that we are all facing deadlines but that we still shouldn't expect anything until the end of April.

I think that is very disappointing, I have had a pretty good cycle so I have options that I am very proud of, and wait list opportunities that may manifest as well, but being in limbo to me is really not cool. Every school this year (at least top schools) have received unprecedented application volume.

You have to wonder how many of us have been "held for further review"...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 pm

danidancer wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
jks289 wrote:So, have we all settled on Plan B at this point? I am still deciding between WashU and BU. I feel like the fact the Cornell is still out there lurking is making the decision harder somehow. I have almost reached the point of feeling like whatever the decision is I just want to know so I can get started with the next phase of looking at apartments, planning the move, buying the 0L summer books everyone scoffs at but secretly has, etc. Not sure what I am going to do with the next 6 weeks. Anyone else?

I'm on 8 freaking WLs and also held at Northwestern so Cornell isn't exactly screwing up my cycle at this point. It's looking more likely I'll have to deposit at UMN, which doesn't excite me.

+1 but 5 WLs (withdrew from Vandy over the weekend, so now 4), held at Northwestern and Cornell, and still pending at USC and NYU. I'm committed to Fordham with a scholarship now, but will gladly pay sticker for any of the T14s I'm WL'd at! As other posters have said, I just want to move on and get started on my LS life. Given apt. hunting and the fact that my current NYC lease is up July 31, I think I'm giving the outstanding WLs/decisions until July 1 to come through before withdrawing.

Also pending at NYU since 1/20, how long have you been waiting? At least their instructions on LSAC pretty much tell you "don't hold your breath." Been pending at Texas since 11/24, that's getting pretty old.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

beef wellington wrote:
danidancer wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Also pending at NYU since 1/20, how long have you been waiting? At least their instructions on LSAC pretty much tell you "don't hold your breath." Been pending at Texas since 11/24, that's getting pretty old.

Where is there an NYU status checker? Or how do you know you're pending? I submitted in October but never received status check info.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm

hykang wrote:Where is there an NYU status checker? Or how do you know you're pending? I submitted in October but never received status check info.

There is none. Pending just means I applied, not that I'm necessarily "under review" or anything. I did get an email telling me my app was complete. There is an admitted students site but I haven't tried it, I think other people use that as a proxy for a status checker though.

mbw

Postby mbw » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:The almighty 1L foot has come down.

mbw, it's reassuring to hear that EA candidates have been accepted this late in the game. In the midst of this waiting game it seems impossible. It sounds like you abandoned a deposit for Cornell in June or later. Can you speak to the difficulties of doing this? Had you already arranged a lease elsewhere?

I abandoned my seat deposit at Minnesota in June, when I received my Cornell aid package and subsequently visited. It wasn't really all that difficult to abandon the deposit - more so to reconfigure my life and plans. Yes, I had arranged housing in Minneapolis, but, serendipitously, the day before I got my financial aid (and the day we were supposed to move in,) the landlord called to tell us the tenants refused to move out. We drove out to Ithaca that night, and I deposited at Cornell three days later. We moved here ten days after.

ETA: BW, I want to say that I loved UMN, and Mpls in particular, and that was the hardest thing about making the late choice for Cornell. I'm certainly hoping that your story mirrors mine, but if not, there are much worse places in the world to be than Minneapolis and The U.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 pm

mbw wrote:

mbw, it's reassuring to hear that EA candidates have been accepted this late in the game. In the midst of this waiting game it seems impossible. It sounds like you abandoned a deposit for Cornell in June or later. Can you speak to the difficulties of doing this? Had you already arranged a lease elsewhere?

I abandoned my seat deposit at Minnesota in June, when I received my Cornell aid package and subsequently visited. It wasn't really all that difficult to abandon the deposit - more so to reconfigure my life and plans. Yes, I had arranged housing in Minneapolis, but, serendipitously, the day before I got my financial aid (and the day we were supposed to move in,) the landlord called to tell us the tenants refused to move out. We drove out to Ithaca that night, and I deposited at Cornell three days later. We moved here ten days after.

I am nervous about this too. Part of me thinks I may end up moving from LA to Boston only to get off UCLA's waitlist and have to move back again. Was it difficult to find decent housing in Ithaca last minute?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 pm

beef wellington wrote:
danidancer wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

I've been "complete" since December 1, applied November 1. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part (since my numbers are less than stellar), but at this point I'm assuming it will be a WL. NYU has pretty regularly been accepting/rejecting people all cycle, but as far as I know, no one has been WL yet. Since I've been pending for so long, I'm assuming I'm in that pile and will find out when they mass mail all the WLees sometime in late March or April... Fingers crossed anyway - with my numbers, a WL from NYU would be quite an accomplishment!

edit: PS, I've been pending at USC since 11/24! I don't even want to go there anymore, but holding out for a decision for satisfaction/closure.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 pm

jks289 wrote:
mbw wrote:

I am nervous about this too. Part of me thinks I may end up moving from LA to Boston only to get off UCLA's waitlist and have to move back again. Was it difficult to find decent housing in Ithaca last minute?

That's my issue w/ Columbia/NYU. I'm holding out until July 1 and then removing myself from any remaining WLs. Most of the movement happens after spring/June deposits anyway. Of course, if I go w/ Fordham I can remain on CLS/NYU's lists infinitely. :)

mbw

Postby mbw » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

jks289 wrote:
mbw wrote:

My situation was somewhat different than most, as I was bringing my spouse and kids, and thus looking for a 3/4BR house in Fall Creek or Cayuga Heights versus a room or apt. in Collegetown. But I do know that most of my friends who moved here after I did found housing - some better than others, especially those willing to look to areas outside of Collegetown (such as near the Commons and Fall Creek.) Cornell maintains a housing website, so you can search there as well as on Craigslist. Also, there will be people who secure housing in Ithaca, and then have to move when they're accepted off another school's waitlist. Just be willing to be flexible - I figure if I survived a late move with a spouse, four kids, a dog and a cat, it shouldn't be too hard for the less encumbered.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 pm

mbw wrote:
jks289 wrote:
mbw wrote:

My situation was somewhat different than most, as I was bringing my spouse and kids, and thus looking for a 3/4BR house in Fall Creek or Cayuga Heights versus a room or apt. in Collegetown. But I do know that most of my friends who moved here after I did found housing - some better than others, especially those willing to look to areas outside of Collegetown (such as near the Commons and Fall Creek.) Cornell maintains a housing website, so you can search there as well as on Craigslist. Also, there will be people who secure housing in Ithaca, and then have to move when they're accepted off another school's waitlist. Just be willing to be flexible - I figure if I survived at late move with a spouse, four kids, a dog and a cat, it shouldn't be too hard for the less encumbered.

Wow, you are in law school with a spouse and 4 kids? We just decided school was going to be too tough with a baby (Original plan was to get pregnant 1L summer) and we would wait until school was done. Now I feel like a wuss.... :oops: :D

mbw

Postby mbw » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 pm

jks289 wrote:
mbw wrote:
jks289 wrote:

My situation was somewhat different than most, as I was bringing my spouse and kids, and thus looking for a 3/4BR house in Fall Creek or Cayuga Heights versus a room or apt. in Collegetown. But I do know that most of my friends who moved here after I did found housing - some better than others, especially those willing to look to areas outside of Collegetown (such as near the Commons and Fall Creek.) Cornell maintains a housing website, so you can search there as well as on Craigslist. Also, there will be people who secure housing in Ithaca, and then have to move when they're accepted off another school's waitlist. Just be willing to be flexible - I figure if I survived at late move with a spouse, four kids, a dog and a cat, it shouldn't be too hard for the less encumbered.

Wow, you are in law school with a spouse and 4 kids? We just decided school was going to be too tough with a baby (Original plan was to get pregnant 1L summer) and we would wait until school was done. Now I feel like a wuss.... :oops: :D

A wuss? Not at all! My kids are 7 to 13, and I could never imagine having a baby during law school (let alone have an infant or toddler as a 1L.) I seriously feel for my close friends here who have younger kids.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:24 pm

jks289 wrote:
ppa840 wrote:This is ridiculous. :evil:

I am pulling my app. from Cornell.

You gotta do, what you gotta do.

Sorry to hear this didn't turn out how you had hoped, but not so sorry there is one less application in that pile. :D Good luck ppa840, wherever you decide to attend!

Thanks- I hope Cornell shows you some love. Good luck to all the others who are still in limbo.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm

ppa840 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
ppa840 wrote:This is ridiculous. :evil:

I am pulling my app. from Cornell.

You gotta do, what you gotta do.

Sorry to hear this didn't turn out how you had hoped, but not so sorry there is one less application in that pile. :D Good luck ppa840, wherever you decide to attend!

Thanks- I hope Cornell shows you some love. Good luck to all the others who are still in limbo.

With my numbers and the increase in apps, I'm just glad I'm still in the game. I knew that to crack the T14 I would need to be willing to ride out the summer and perhaps lose several deposits in the process, and I still am. Ultimately, I think it'll be worth it, b/c if nothing else I will know I gave it my all. But again, everyone has their own personal timelines. For me, that timeline means I will be pulling any outstanding applications on July 1.

That being said, our letters said they would review us after Feb. 1st. You would think if that timeline got pushed back 2-3 months, someone in the office would have the decency to at least email us and let us know what's up! Grr!

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:37 pm

At this point, I'm just assuming that I'm going to W&M with $$-- however, if Cornell pulls through, I'll be moving to Ithaca. I just wish I knew what was going on.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am

Cool, kitten. W&M on the cheap is not a bad way to end your cycle.

I'm still deciding between BU ($$$) and UT. And WUStL ($$$). I start visiting these schools next week and then I'll decide which I prefer.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Cool, kitten. W&M on the cheap is not a bad way to end your cycle.

I'm still deciding between BU ($$$) and UT. And WUStL ($$$). I start visiting these schools next week and then I'll decide which I prefer.

Thanks! And I'd love to hear about your visits, so be sure to share :)

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 am

I forgot I even applied to Cornell EA until I stumbled across this thread. It seems like years ago I called and was told I got deferred.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

According to the nice lady on the phone, they have begun EA deferred reviews though cannot guarantee an answer by April 15th.

Fun Fact...

American paralegals are also traditionally honored on St. Patrick's Day, and many employers give paralegals and legal assistants an exemption from work on March 17 so that they can celebrate the day of their patron saint.

Ireland, paralegals and engineers. I am offended that I was expected to work on this holy day.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Pearalegal wrote:According to the nice lady on the phone, they have begun EA deferred reviews though cannot guarantee an answer by April 15th.

Whaaa? They have begun reviews? So they were lying on the phone? Our outrage has convinced them to move us up? What is going on here, people?!

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm

jks289 wrote:Whaaa? They have begun reviews? So they were lying on the phone? Our outrage has convinced them to move us up? What is going on here, people?!

Their reviews are so thorough that it will take them six weeks to make a single decision.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 pm

beef wellington wrote:
jks289 wrote:Whaaa? They have begun reviews? So they were lying on the phone? Our outrage has convinced them to move us up? What is going on here, people?!

Their reviews are so thorough that it will take them six weeks to make a single decision.

I had just reached a point of feeling zen about waiting until April. And now I am all nervous and compulsively status checking, even though I know it isn't coming for weeks. Argh. This whole thing is such a mindf*&k!

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm

jks289 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

I had just reached a point of feeling zen about waiting until April. And now I am all nervous and compulsively status checking, even though I know it isn't coming for weeks. Argh. This whole thing is such a mindf*&k!

My guess would be they're just claiming to "review" us now so as to not appear like they've completely forgotten us. The upshot isn't that much different than the last update posted here, which was that a few people might hear before 4/15 but not many.

Rayjay

Postby Rayjay » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:11 pm

If I am on hold, when will I receive a decision?

Applicants who are placed on Early Action Hold are reviewed after February 1 and typically receive a decision (admit, deny or hold) in February or March.

Applicants who are placed on Regular Decision Hold typically receive a decision (admit, deny, or summer waitlist) in June.

This was taken from the website. Maybe there will be a delay because of the increase in applications though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”