Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SanBun

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby SanBun » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:20 am

Cornell, you suck.

No increase in apps can justify this reckless game you're playing with the people who tried to express the most interest for your school.

Yes, the April deadline was meant to exist for us, and you know it, you're just too much of a coward to admit it, and too lazy to send out a simple mass e-mail informing us about the significant delay.

I don't care what USNWR says, your behavior reflects badly on your institution and eliminates my desire to go to your school. I'm sure you have more than enough people to fill the slots, but lack of professionalism is one of the things I absolutely will not tolerate, and certainly a feature that makes me question the way you go about your mission of educating future professionals, soooo....

I'M OUT

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 am

SanBun wrote:Cornell, you suck.

No increase in apps can justify this reckless game you're playing with the people who tried to express the most interest for your school.

Yes, the April deadline was meant to exist for us, and you know it, you're just too much of a coward to admit it, and too lazy to send out a simple mass e-mail informing us about the significant delay.

I don't care what USNWR says, your behavior reflects badly on your institution and eliminates my desire to go to your school. I'm sure you have more than enough people to fill the slots, but lack of professionalism is one of the things I absolutely will not tolerate, and certainly a feature that makes me question the way you go about your mission of educating future professionals, soooo....

I'M OUT

Dear Cornell,

I don't think you suck, I think you are magnificent. Please ignore the immature rants contained by this thread. They are NOT indicative of the type of candidate you have so graciously deferred for a second, further review.

-Hopefullawstudent

Trivia Fact: DID YOU KNOW that Cornell University Law School received an unprecedented number of applications this year, up 52% over the total it received last year? (Yes, you did know that. So why are you giving the Admissions Office a difficult time?)

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:01 am

I'M OUT
all they said was that they'd take a look at us again after the application deadline had passed. you shouldn't read anything else into that statement. there are some deferred people who won't be let in until august. everyone applying to law school should recognize that there is a possibility that they won't be accepted to or rejected from a school until august since there's a chance they could land on the waitlist.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 am

najumobi wrote:

I'M OUT
all they said was that they'd take a look at us again after the application deadline had passed. you shouldn't read anything else into that statement. there are some deferred people who won't be let in until august. everyone applying to law school should recognize that there is a possibility that they won't be accepted to or rejected from a school until august since there's a chance they could land on the waitlist.
Seriously, this doesn't bother you at all, najumobi? If they had actually wait-listed everyone, that would be a different situation. That counts as a decision, and more important, it counts as communication. I'm guessing that this would be easier for everyone to deal with if we had all received official word about the delay. (If they have enough info to tell people the same thing on the phone, surely they have enough info to send out an e-mail.) If they did that, people like SanBun could assess their situation honestly and evaluate whether they will be able to consider Cornell in May, and they wouldn't have to withdraw in anger over Cornell's lack of professionalism.

Cornell may not have technically broken their word (though I'd argue they will have if they haven't given everyone an admit/deny/WL by April 15). But until they explain themselves somehow, I can assume only that they're operating in bad faith. As SanBun said, this is insulting to those who showed the most interest in attending, and it reflects poorly on their institution.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 am

i feel you sanbun. I don't think it's immature to expect a university to be communicative about the application for which you paid $70 to have processed. The letter we all got said we would be part of the regular decision process and that we would be given full consideration. I don't consider being put on a soft waitlist until April or whatever the hell it is full consideration. I think Cornell could have proceeded with the entire process, from the beginning, in a better way. Sure the lady on the phone is nice, but an admissions office "in the best sense" they are not.

If we were going to be put on a waitlist, which is essentially what letting people know after deposits come in is, they should have been upfront about it. Sorry, I'm not going to kowtow to the whims of Cornell's admissions department and ignore how unsettling I find this all to be.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:59 am

also, yeah, Cornell's applications skyrocketed, but that's a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ to hire somebody to write an e-mail and let people know what the deal is. They could have sent us an e-mail even just making an excuse and citing high application volume, but apparently that is too difficult as well. An interview with WSJ is of course a better avenue.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:06 pm

I'll make this my random trivia for the day:

--LinkRemoved--

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm

do we even have a chance? I feel like I've been rejected.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Veritas wrote:do we even have a chance? I feel like I've been rejected.

No, I think we still have a shot. But I think everyone should treat this like a waitlist, since that it what it is essentially. Figure out where you are going if Cornell doesn't work out, put down deposits, make moving plans, and set a date at which you are not longer willing to drop everything for Cornell.

I am bummed out (and frustrated as my earlier posts attest to), but I don't see the point in everyone getting angry. If this has really changed your feelings about attending Cornell, by all means withdraw your applications so this will go a little faster for the rest of us. :)

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:31 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Cornell may not have technically broken their word (though I'd argue they will have if they haven't given everyone an admit/deny/WL by April 15).

Right, they haven't broken their word. Me and Cornell are cool unless April 15 comes and goes without any communication from them. In that case, I will only begrudgingly accept an offer of admission.

philosoraptor wrote:But until they explain themselves somehow, I can assume only that they're operating in bad faith.

I'm going to assume they are operating in good faith. Why not?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I'm going to assume they are operating in good faith. Why not?

Um, because they seem to know the extent of the delay but haven't informed the whole group. I concede that others may have a more generous definition of "good faith" than I.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I'm going to assume they are operating in good faith. Why not?

Um, because they seem to know the extent of the delay but haven't informed the whole group. I concede that others may have a more generous definition of "good faith" than I.

thanks roboto and philosoraptor,
I'm glad you guys agree and you're not trying to suck up to Cornell out of fear they will identify you behind your TLS name hahaha

but all jokes aside, I think Cornell has taken us for granted and treated as unworthy of communication despite the fact that we should now officially be part of their RD pool (according to their letter). That just screams to me that they're primarily interested in ranking/ boost (which explains the fact that they prioritize WSJ interviews over communicating with us). Why give the deferred EA applicants a fair shot when the increase of the RD pool yields enough lucrative numbers? Really doesn't take a genius to figure out the reasoning behind this little game.

I believe in the beauty and importance of the law, but quite frankly the influence USNWR rankings turns legal institutions impersonal, profit oriented machines. The oh-so respectable, holistic Cornell Law School apparently is no exception. It's just so sad.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:10 pm

I don't think Cornell is "operating in bad faith" or "playing a dangerous game." It's frustrating that we haven't heard anything from them and I am nervous we won't hear anything until after April 15. But... it's March. I think it's too early to condemn the school. Like jks said, feel free to withdraw.

Not sure if that makes me a suck up or not.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:16 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I don't think Cornell is "operating in bad faith" or "playing a dangerous game." It's frustrating that we haven't heard anything from them and I am nervous we won't hear anything until after April 15. But... it's March. I think it's too early to condemn the school. Like jks said, feel free to withdraw.

What about this: February has passed and we're still not under consideration (your status also changes on the status website once you're UR again)

now that is definitely a sing of not following through on agreed terms. I hate to say this, but I spent 70 heard earned bucks, I deserve to get what Cornell and me agreed to in return. Simple as that.

They may or may not be operating in bad faith, but one thing's for sure: they clearly don't show the appropriate amount of respect for EA people. It's not like anyone is asking for more.

Rambo, consider this also: every day that we don't go UR again in time as you should because they're prioritizing RD people, our chances of not being waitlisted are approaching 0 a little more. That's not what EA is about, in fact, that's the opposite of the purpose of EA. It's not what I signed up for, and neither did all the other deferred applicants.
Last edited by SanBun on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 pm

SanBun wrote: (your status also changes on the status website once you're UR again)

You know this? How?

EDIT: (LoR reference :P)
Last edited by OneKnight on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:22 pm

OneKnight wrote:
SanBun wrote: (your status also changes on the status website once you're UR again)

You know this? How?

I called after my EA decision and the admissions people told me.
EDIT: they said it's supposed to update once you're UR again, and also once you get a new decision.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:56 pm

SanBun wrote:What about this: February has passed and we're still not under consideration (your status also changes on the status website once you're UR again)

now that is definitely a sing of not following through on agreed terms. I hate to say this, but I spent 70 heard earned bucks, I deserve to get what Cornell and me agreed to in return. Simple as that.

They may or may not be operating in bad faith, but one thing's for sure: they clearly don't show the appropriate amount of respect for EA people. It's not like anyone is asking for more.

Well, maybe we can agree to disagree here, but I think that what you deserve in return for your $70 is a decision of some kind (including WL) by April 15.

Applying EA shows sincere interest (although, Cornell's EA program is non-binding) that might give your application a boost if all else is equal. If it makes you feel better, think of it this way: had you not applied EA, you would have been rejected already.

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:30 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I don't think Cornell is "operating in bad faith" or "playing a dangerous game." It's frustrating that we haven't heard anything from them and I am nervous we won't hear anything until after April 15. But... it's March. I think it's too early to condemn the school. Like jks said, feel free to withdraw.

IIRC, I was in the first group of the EA-deferred people to be accepted, and it was a year ago this week. More people were accepted two weeks later. My status never changed to "UR" from "Decision". Maybe that's different this year, or maybe the person in admissions misspoke. But it's not like we all found out last year a whole lot earlier than you probably will... Plus, even if you get your decision soon, you probably won't get your financial aid for a while - possibly past other schools' deposit deadlines. And, yes, EA-deferred people can get substantial aid awards. I'd already deposited at another school when my award came out in early May (I didn't get it until June.) It's just the nature of the beast, and this year, it'll be beastlier.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:49 pm

The almighty 1L foot has come down.

mbw, it's reassuring to hear that EA candidates have been accepted this late in the game. In the midst of this waiting game it seems impossible. It sounds like you abandoned a deposit for Cornell in June or later. Can you speak to the difficulties of doing this? Had you already arranged a lease elsewhere?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:27 am

Derail: Trivia for the day in limerick form: http://www.sporcle.com/games/miller1986/movie_by_limerick (for St. Pattys and all)

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 pm

So, have we all settled on Plan B at this point? I am still deciding between WashU and BU. I feel like the fact the Cornell is still out there lurking is making the decision harder somehow. I have almost reached the point of feeling like whatever the decision is I just want to know so I can get started with the next phase of looking at apartments, planning the move, buying the 0L summer books everyone scoffs at but secretly has, etc. Not sure what I am going to do with the next 6 weeks. Anyone else?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 pm

jks289 wrote:So, have we all settled on Plan B at this point? I am still deciding between WashU and BU. I feel like the fact the Cornell is still out there lurking is making the decision harder somehow. I have almost reached the point of feeling like whatever the decision is I just want to know so I can get started with the next phase of looking at apartments, planning the move, buying the 0L summer books everyone scoffs at but secretly has, etc. Not sure what I am going to do with the next 6 weeks. Anyone else?

I'm on 8 freaking WLs and also held at Northwestern so Cornell isn't exactly screwing up my cycle at this point. It's looking more likely I'll have to deposit at UMN, which doesn't excite me.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 pm

This is ridiculous. :evil:

I am pulling my app. from Cornell.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 pm

ppa840 wrote:This is ridiculous. :evil:

calm down....stopping thinking about cornell and start thinking about were you'd likely to choose to attend of the schools you've already gotten into.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:08 pm

ppa840 wrote:This is ridiculous. :evil:

You gotta do, what you gotta do.

Sorry to hear this didn't turn out how you had hoped, but not so sorry there is one less application in that pile. :D Good luck ppa840, wherever you decide to attend!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”