Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:50 pm

cougarlive wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Uh... I'm gonna acronym this because I'm not sure I want it on my permanent record.

AYFS?



Not trying to out you, but it's obvious you meant "Are you for sure?" You might want to delete that if you're worried about it.


:lol:

Seriously... I'm sympathetic to the huge number of applications. I am. I could deal with a decision in the second week of April. But by April 15, I'm going to give a few hundred dollars to some other school and start planning a life there.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:54 pm

danidancer wrote:
wired wrote:I called to ask and the individual I spoke with said she thought that late April, early May is the EARLIEST deferred applicants should expect to hear back.

Hope that helps. (Don't kill the messenger.)


kjkdjfkhdfkjhakjshd. headdesk. headdesk. :(


+1

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:56 pm

danidancer wrote:
wired wrote:I called to ask and the individual I spoke with said she thought that late April, early May is the EARLIEST deferred applicants should expect to hear back.

Hope that helps. (Don't kill the messenger.)


kjkdjfkhdfkjhakjshd. headdesk. headdesk. :(


Let's be a little more explicit.
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:57 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Uh... I'm gonna acronym this because I'm not sure I want it on my permanent record.

AYFS?



Not trying to out you, but it's obvious you meant "Are you for sure?" You might want to delete that if you're worried about it.


:lol:

Seriously... I'm sympathetic to the huge number of applications. I am. I could deal with a decision in the second week of April. But by April 15, I'm going to give a few hundred dollars to some other school and start planning a life there.


I am of the school that applicants aren't "owed" anything in terms of priority, admission, money, etc. But I think in this case a brief email to the EA applicants still under consideration would be appropriate. I am willing to wait it out in the long term (June or July) but I have a family, and we need to make decisions based on reasonable expectations and timelines. If I have been waitlisted, meaning I will hear after April 15th, than I need to know that so my spouse can look at jobs, we can plan finances accordingly, and decide how long we can reasonably be flexible in moving. I don't think they understand how much of our lives are tied to these timelines.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby wired » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
danidancer wrote:
wired wrote:I called to ask and the individual I spoke with said she thought that late April, early May is the EARLIEST deferred applicants should expect to hear back.

Hope that helps. (Don't kill the messenger.)


kjkdjfkhdfkjhakjshd. headdesk. headdesk. :(


Let's be a little more explicit.
--ImageRemoved--


That had me laughing way harder than it should have.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm

jks289 wrote:
I am of the school that applicants aren't "owed" anything in terms of priority, admission, money, etc. But I think in this case a brief email to the EA applicants still under consideration would be appropriate.


+1

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm

jks289 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Uh... I'm gonna acronym this because I'm not sure I want it on my permanent record.

AYFS?



Not trying to out you, but it's obvious you meant "Are you for sure?" You might want to delete that if you're worried about it.


:lol:

Seriously... I'm sympathetic to the huge number of applications. I am. I could deal with a decision in the second week of April. But by April 15, I'm going to give a few hundred dollars to some other school and start planning a life there.


I am of the school that applicants aren't "owed" anything in terms of priority, admission, money, etc. But I think in this case a brief email to the EA applicants still under consideration would be appropriate. I am willing to wait it out in the long term (June or July) but I have a family, and we need to make decisions based on reasonable expectations and timelines. If I have been waitlisted, meaning I will hear after April 15th, than I need to know that so my spouse can look at jobs, we can plan finances accordingly, and decide how long we can reasonably be flexible in moving. I don't think they understand how much of our lives are tied to these timelines.


Right on. If Cornell really can't give me an answer by April 15, I'll deal with it. But I need to know! This is what a waitlist is for.

User avatar
Katerina
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Katerina » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Dear Cornell,

What's your deal? You never call me anymore- you never write. I thought we could take this relationship to the next level but clearly you don't feel the same. I understand that you've been under a lot of pressure recently (those applications won't read themselves) but you can't spare 5 minutes for me? And now I hear through the grapevine that you're cancelling our big date in March and pushing it back until April (or MAY)?! You didn't even have the decency to call me and tell me yourself. I am truly hurt. Enough is enough- I'm going to start going out with other schools who, unlike YOU, actually WANT to be with me. And to think- I was considering going all the way with you.

-Katerina


::goes and cries softly in the corner::

guinness85
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby guinness85 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Surely they are getting sick of the phone calls? It's got to be embarassing for them.

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby beamsmehome » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:54 pm

OneKnight wrote:
jks289 wrote:
I am of the school that applicants aren't "owed" anything in terms of priority, admission, money, etc. But I think in this case a brief email to the EA applicants still under consideration would be appropriate.


+1


+2

The deadline for submitting a seat deposit is (postmarked) 4/16. It seems a little strange that they would start reviewing us as late as reported above; I knew I was deferred, but to regular admission... Which I thought would mean the same timeline. It's starting to sound more like a reserve/WL. I don't think they owe me any kind of special treatment, it's a great school and they have a lot of applications. Still, I feel a little misled about my application's status. :|

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby beef wellington » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:51 pm

wired wrote:I called to ask and the individual I spoke with said she thought that late April, early May is the EARLIEST deferred applicants should expect to hear back.

Hope that helps. (Don't kill the messenger.)

:shock: :cry:

edit: jks - you were right all along. Cosign everything beamsmehome says in the above post.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:27 pm

beamsmehome wrote:The deadline for submitting a seat deposit is (postmarked) 4/16. It seems a little strange that they would start reviewing us as late as reported above; I knew I was deferred, but to regular admission... Which I thought would mean the same timeline. It's starting to sound more like a reserve/WL. I don't think they owe me any kind of special treatment, it's a great school and they have a lot of applications. Still, I feel a little misled about my application's status. :|

Just for the sake of argument, what do they owe us? What does our application fee buy us? Just a decision, regardless of the timing? If they decided they weren't going to send out decisions (admit, deny, WL) until the day before classes start, would that satisfy their end of the deal? Even though their application instructions say "there is no universal acceptance date" and no date by which they must release all decisions, I think we'd all agree that they'd be doing something wrong if they waited that long.

So where's the line such that if they cross it, they're doing something wrong? I'm concerned not with any actual legal recourse, but rather at what point our anger is justified.

I believe they do owe us (and everyone) a decision by seat-deposit day. (From the instructions: "To receive a decision by early April 2010, you must complete your application file by February 1, 2010.")

Or are they doing us a favor by not automatically WLing everyone just to fit some artificial deadline -- even if, after that deadline, it would cost most of us a deposit at another school to accept an offer from Cornell?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:The deadline for submitting a seat deposit is (postmarked) 4/16. It seems a little strange that they would start reviewing us as late as reported above; I knew I was deferred, but to regular admission... Which I thought would mean the same timeline. It's starting to sound more like a reserve/WL. I don't think they owe me any kind of special treatment, it's a great school and they have a lot of applications. Still, I feel a little misled about my application's status. :|

Just for the sake of argument, what do they owe us? What does our application fee buy us? Just a decision, regardless of the timing? If they decided they weren't going to send out decisions (admit, deny, WL) until the day before classes start, would that satisfy their end of the deal? Even though their application instructions say "there is no universal acceptance date" and no date by which they must release all decisions, I think we'd all agree that they'd be doing something wrong if they waited that long.

So where's the line such that if they cross it, they're doing something wrong? I'm concerned not with any actual legal recourse, but rather at what point our anger is justified.

I believe they do owe us (and everyone) a decision by seat-deposit day. (From the instructions: "To receive a decision by early April 2010, you must complete your application file by February 1, 2010.")

Or are they doing us a favor by not automatically WLing everyone just to fit some artificial deadline -- even if, after that deadline, it would cost most of us a deposit at another school to accept an offer from Cornell?


I spent all day feeling like I had been rejected from my top choice. No offense to wired, but I think I am going to call and confirm this for myself tomorrow. I really do think they are obligated to give us a decision by April 15. Even if that decision is a mass waitlisting. It seems like a breach of their application policy to extend it past that date, so for tonight I'll give Cornell the benefit of the doubt. Let's all meet back here tomorrow morning. Have your internet pitchforks and angry voices ready, though. :)

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:51 pm

jks289 wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:The deadline for submitting a seat deposit is (postmarked) 4/16. It seems a little strange that they would start reviewing us as late as reported above; I knew I was deferred, but to regular admission... Which I thought would mean the same timeline. It's starting to sound more like a reserve/WL. I don't think they owe me any kind of special treatment, it's a great school and they have a lot of applications. Still, I feel a little misled about my application's status. :|

Just for the sake of argument, what do they owe us? What does our application fee buy us? Just a decision, regardless of the timing? If they decided they weren't going to send out decisions (admit, deny, WL) until the day before classes start, would that satisfy their end of the deal? Even though their application instructions say "there is no universal acceptance date" and no date by which they must release all decisions, I think we'd all agree that they'd be doing something wrong if they waited that long.

So where's the line such that if they cross it, they're doing something wrong? I'm concerned not with any actual legal recourse, but rather at what point our anger is justified.

I believe they do owe us (and everyone) a decision by seat-deposit day. (From the instructions: "To receive a decision by early April 2010, you must complete your application file by February 1, 2010.")

Or are they doing us a favor by not automatically WLing everyone just to fit some artificial deadline -- even if, after that deadline, it would cost most of us a deposit at another school to accept an offer from Cornell?


I spent all day feeling like I had been rejected from my top choice. No offense to wired, but I think I am going to call and confirm this for myself tomorrow. I really do think they are obligated to give us a decision by April 15. Even if that decision is a mass waitlisting. It seems like a breach of their application policy to extend it past that date, so for tonight I'll give Cornell the benefit of the doubt. Let's all meet back here tomorrow morning. Have your internet pitchforks and angry voices ready, though. :)


i_|_i <- That's my pitchfork. Thanks for calling you guys.
~ |
~ |

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby beamsmehome » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:43 am

jks289 wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:Just for the sake of argument, what do they owe us? What does our application fee buy us? Just a decision, regardless of the timing? If they decided they weren't going to send out decisions (admit, deny, WL) until the day before classes start, would that satisfy their end of the deal? Even though their application instructions say "there is no universal acceptance date" and no date by which they must release all decisions, I think we'd all agree that they'd be doing something wrong if they waited that long.

So where's the line such that if they cross it, they're doing something wrong? I'm concerned not with any actual legal recourse, but rather at what point our anger is justified.

I believe they do owe us (and everyone) a decision by seat-deposit day. (From the instructions: "To receive a decision by early April 2010, you must complete your application file by February 1, 2010.")

Or are they doing us a favor by not automatically WLing everyone just to fit some artificial deadline -- even if, after that deadline, it would cost most of us a deposit at another school to accept an offer from Cornell?


I spent all day feeling like I had been rejected from my top choice. No offense to wired, but I think I am going to call and confirm this for myself tomorrow. I really do think they are obligated to give us a decision by April 15. Even if that decision is a mass waitlisting. It seems like a breach of their application policy to extend it past that date, so for tonight I'll give Cornell the benefit of the doubt. Let's all meet back here tomorrow morning. Have your internet pitchforks and angry voices ready, though. :)


I agree with many of the thoughts above. I didn't recall the bit of information in the instructions - to be fair RC was my worst section, heh. I read my letter again today and mine doesn't specify a month when they will reevaluate the deferred applicants. It merely says I'll be reconsidered after February 1st, the RD deadline. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as well and wait a little longer, I suppose... if they originally said the beginning of April I guess I'll wait until then.

I will check back in the am though in case jks decides to call :mrgreen:

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 am

beamsmehome wrote:I will check back in the am though in case jks decides to call :mrgreen:


I e-mailed them to confirm this afternoon -> I'll update as soon as I get an answer.
I guess I'm feeling ballsy because I have UVa, but also because I truly believe we at least deserve to know what's going on, even if we don't receive decisions until may.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:56 am

OneKnight wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:I will check back in the am though in case jks decides to call :mrgreen:


I e-mailed them to confirm this afternoon -> I'll update as soon as I get an answer.
I guess I'm feeling ballsy because I have UVa, but also because I truly believe we at least deserve to know what's going on, even if we don't receive decisions until may.


I'll check back and see if they answer you before calling. I am really hoping for the best. Don't let me down Cornell! :D

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:44 am

applied: 12/01
Currently under review.
Sorry to those who took the time to ED and are still waiting. Pretty amazing really!

User avatar
robotoroboto
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby robotoroboto » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 am

if cornell can't be bothered to look at my application again in February like they said they would in their letter, or let me know the status of my now quixotic dream of going to law school there, then man, that says something about the school, i guess

User avatar
robotoroboto
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby robotoroboto » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 am

i mean, even GW was nice enough to send every accepted person an e-mail saying there was no chance they would be getting a merit scholarship if they hadn't gotten one already. we're adults and can handle bad news, so uhm, just tell us?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am

Bad news, bunnies. I talked to the admissions office, she was very nice as always but did confirm that the April 15 deadline doesn't exist for us. I asked if that meant that essentially we had been waitlisted, and she said that isn't exactly what it meant but yes sort of. Waitlisted means there are no spots left and goes into the summer. When they get to our applications there will still be spaces available. I asked for an estimated timeline on when they would begin reviewing us and she said she just didn't know, hopefully as soon as possible, "possibly into April."

The above is factual based on the conversation, this part is my unfounded speculation: I think they must know how many EA reserves they have, and have set a number that is going to be pulled from this pile. So say maybe 300 people are on reserve, and they have 30 spots left and are prepared to admit 80-90 of us.

I'm disappointed about the EA debacle. But I thought she was really forthcoming on the phone, and now that I know the situation I can make decisions based on it. I'm up for sticking it out, I still really think this is the right school for me. Hopefully this will work to weed out anyone who wasn't serious about attending, I'd don't think those people are in this thread.

Upside!! This gives us more time to hang out and get to know each other. I suggest trivia theme day! Did you know a T-Rex's arms were only 3 feet long, but it's penis was 6 feet!! You do now!

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for calling and posting Betty. And for the T-Rex penis info.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:56 am

Cornell--I understand how overwhelmed you are. I'm not particularly upset that you've pushed back the date you'll be reviewing us...its that you didn't even take the time to do a mass mailing to let us know not to wait.

Poor form.

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby beamsmehome » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 pm

jks289 wrote:Bad news, bunnies. I talked to the admissions office, she was very nice as always but did confirm that the April 15 deadline doesn't exist for us. I asked if that meant that essentially we had been waitlisted, and she said that isn't exactly what it meant but yes sort of. Waitlisted means there are no spots left and goes into the summer. When they get to our applications there will still be spaces available. I asked for an estimated timeline on when they would begin reviewing us and she said she just didn't know, hopefully as soon as possible, "possibly into April."

The above is factual based on the conversation, this part is my unfounded speculation: I think they must know how many EA reserves they have, and have set a number that is going to be pulled from this pile. So say maybe 300 people are on reserve, and they have 30 spots left and are prepared to admit 80-90 of us.

I'm disappointed about the EA debacle. But I thought she was really forthcoming on the phone, and now that I know the situation I can make decisions based on it. I'm up for sticking it out, I still really think this is the right school for me. Hopefully this will work to weed out anyone who wasn't serious about attending, I'd don't think those people are in this thread.

Upside!! This gives us more time to hang out and get to know each other. I suggest trivia theme day! Did you know a T-Rex's arms were only 3 feet long, but it's penis was 6 feet!! You do now!


Yes, thank you for making the call and sharing the information, but we were told we were deferred to the RD pool, we weren't deferred to the RD pool, and we shouldn't have to learn this on a message board.

Okay, whining is over. Trivia: the only word in the english language that contains all vowels in their relative consecutive order is facetious.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby krispykitten » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info-- I'll be waiting it out too. I wonder if they're hoping that some of us pull out and head elsewhere.

Speaking of pulling out, did you know that with perfect use, pulling out is 96% effective (!), but with actual typical use, it is only 72-85% effective? Keep that in mind Cornell-- relying on withdrawal doesn't always work :P




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, amberb94, Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grandpapy360, Jgats, liuwenyu, mudiverse, potterotter, Redsfan320, tinafeyclone and 17 guests