Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UFMatt

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby UFMatt » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:33 pm

krispykitten wrote:Yeah, if I were up for any $$ at BU, I'd prolly be heading there... maybe BC will throw some my way. If y'all don't mind me derailing the thread for a little bit, what would yall do if you were in my boat: In at BU/BC w/no money and in at W&M for a cost of 13k/yr -- and hoping to eventually live in VA/NC/SC (and waitlisted at UVA, fml lol)

W&M without a doubt. It would be far, far cheaper and W&M would place better in that region.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:W&M for 13k/year total? Tuition+room+board+all that?

Compare that to attending BU for around 60k/year... seems to me that the cheaper option is the way to go.

Maybe WUStL throws you some cash and you can negotiate with one of the Boston schools. Even if that happens, W&M will probably end up being cheaper.

No, not counting room and board... if only! 13k/yr for tuition (I'm in-state plus a scholly) not counting COL. I have to believe the COL is cheaper in Wburg than Boston though. So yeah, it would end up being cheaper, but what about prestige? placement? etc. I have to believe that W&M does better than Boston around here... and I'm not sure that the prestige differential would be worth the cost differential. I was just wondering what yall thought :)

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Yeah... W&M is the way to go, as things are now. It'll place in its own region and the price is right. Maybe UVA (or Cornell, ahem) will come calling.

(100... woo!)

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Yeah... W&M is the way to go, as things are now. It'll place in its own region and the price is right. Maybe UVA (or Cornell, ahem) will come calling.

(100... woo!)

Yeah, it's pretty cheap! I went there for undergrad, and a law degree there would end up being cheaper, year by year, than it was for UG. And actually comes to 13k/yr for W&L too-- gotta pick btwn the two at some point... unless Cornell makes it an easier decision.

(congrats on 100! you should post more :D)

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:07 am

I would, but internet access is very spotty in my current location. Sometimes the internet gods smile upon me and sometimes... I go to the beach instead. 8)

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:16 am

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I would, but internet access is very spotty in my current location. Sometimes the internet gods smile upon me and sometimes... I go to the beach instead. 8)

In that case, don't post more often... and take me with you :P A beach sounds pretty good right now in our 30" of snow.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 pm

krispykitten wrote:Yeah, if I were up for any $$ at BU, I'd prolly be heading there... maybe BC will throw some my way. If y'all don't mind me derailing the thread for a little bit, what would yall do if you were in my boat: In at BU/BC w/no money and in at W&M for a cost of 13k/yr -- and hoping to eventually live in VA/NC/SC (and waitlisted at UVA, fml lol)

also: 1000! woo!

I think W&M is the obvious choice if you want to end up in the Mid Atlantic... at least for the time being. Seems to me that BC has thrown lots of money at people in past cycles, so wait to see what they'll offer, if anything. Something like that might change the equation for you, but it would probably only make things more muddled. (For a good example of what I mean, see my situation) But, if you like where you're at and it's the cheapest option, it's hard to beat, IMO.

Congrats on reaching 1k!

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:36 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

also: 1000! woo!

I think W&M is the obvious choice if you want to end up in the Mid Atlantic... at least for the time being. Seems to me that BC has thrown lots of money at people in past cycles, so wait to see what they'll offer, if anything. Something like that might change the equation for you, but it would probably only make things more muddled. (For a good example of what I mean, see my situation) But, if you like where you're at and it's the cheapest option, it's hard to beat, IMO.

Congrats on reaching 1k!

Oh jeez! But hey, at least it's the good sort of muddled. And yeah, I loved W&M so it's certainly looking like the front runner here. Which way are you leaning yourself? IUB? ND?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 pm

krispykitten wrote:Oh jeez! But hey, at least it's the good sort of muddled. And yeah, I loved W&M so it's certainly looking like the front runner here. Which way are you leaning yourself? IUB? ND?

In all honesty, IUB is looking pretty good right now. More money at ND, a visit to Boston, or a full ride at Pitt could change that though. There's a lot of game left to play.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm

So after not even telling me my EA was deferred (I still have no idea because Cornell never sent a word), and keeping me in the dark for months, now they want me to call them and have an interview. These mountain folks really don't seem to understand how fast things go in them big cities.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Puffy wrote:So after not even telling me my EA was deferred (I still have no idea because Cornell never sent a word), and keeping me in the dark for months, now they want me to call them and have an interview. These mountain folks really don't seem to understand how fast things go in them big cities.

Umm, this is really good news. They have accepted almost everyone they have interviewed (anecdotal to TLS). I would KILL for an interview. Good luck.

bk641

Postby bk641 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:13 am

good luck to poster with interview. hope they offer interview intl applicants too..

i was wondering if i should send an email asking to confirm that they had received my additional materials (all sent before the feb 1 deadline - mailed LOCI, additional LOR, updated transcripts), and i haven't received confirmation of them having received the materials yet. any thoughts?

shchj

Postby shchj » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 am

bk641 wrote:good luck to poster with interview. hope they offer interview intl applicants too..

i was wondering if i should send an email asking to confirm that they had received my additional materials (all sent before the feb 1 deadline - mailed LOCI, additional LOR, updated transcripts), and i haven't received confirmation of them having received the materials yet. any thoughts?

i think you should call. i emailed them to ask whether they received my LOCI, but heard nothing from them for more than a week. so i finally made a call and immediately got the confirmation.

sand87632

Postby sand87632 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:20 am

shchj wrote:
bk641 wrote:good luck to poster with interview. hope they offer interview intl applicants too..

i think you should call. i emailed them to ask whether they received my LOCI, but heard nothing from them for more than a week. so i finally made a call and immediately got the confirmation.

bump. you should call.

bk641

Postby bk641 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm

blegh, just got off the phone with the admissions officer. she said if your received confirmation from the courier service that we have received it then you should be fine. she also said ea deferrals weren't going a priority at this point as they still had regular decision people to consider, so basically i don't think we'll see a lot of movement on our front for at least a month or so.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 pm

bk641 wrote:blegh, just got off the phone with the admissions officer. she said if your received confirmation from the courier service that we have received it then you should be fine. she also said ea deferrals weren't going a priority at this point as they still had regular decision people to consider, so basically i don't think we'll see a lot of movement on our front for at least a month or so.

Why do I feel like I am being punished for getting my application in early?

shchj

Postby shchj » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:01 pm

bk641 wrote:blegh, just got off the phone with the admissions officer. she said if your received confirmation from the courier service that we have received it then you should be fine. she also said ea deferrals weren't going a priority at this point as they still had regular decision people to consider, so basically i don't think we'll see a lot of movement on our front for at least a month or so.

when i called last week, the lady told me that they'll begin to review EA deferrals in March and we should wait for another 8-12 weeks to get the decision.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm

shchj wrote:

when i called last week, the lady told me that they'll begin to review EA deferrals in March and we should wait for another 8-12 weeks to get the decision.

Wow. Just wow.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 pm

shchj wrote:

Quite the depressing turn of events.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:11 pm

beef wellington wrote:
shchj wrote:

Cornell continues with its amazing admissions process. I'm very impressed, and glad that my decision to apply early with solid Cornell numbers to a university that I really wanted to go to is in fact probably the reason I won't get in. I know they're swamped, but I'm really sour about this. I have schools that I have to get back to with deposits in April if I want to go to them.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 pm

beef wellington wrote:
shchj wrote:

Amen. Yall think it means 8-12 weeks after March or 8-12 weeks from now? Either way, yuck. WUSTL wants a deposit April 1. Oyyy. Btw: any of yall heading out there at the end of Feb? (if so PM me-- we should meet up and have some drinks to drown our Cornell sorrows)

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

robotoroboto wrote:Cornell continues with its amazing admissions process. I'm very impressed, and glad that my decision to apply early with solid Cornell numbers to a university that I really wanted to go to is in fact probably the reason I won't get in. I know they're swamped, but I'm really sour about this. I have schools that I have to get back to with deposits in April if I want to go to them.

+1

it's extremely frustrating to be punished for applying early. Extremely... frustrating.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Do you guys honestly think we're being punished for applying early? I like to believe we were held because of our index scores and we'll be reviewed with the RD people who have the same index scores. It sucks having to wait but I can't see why they would admit worse applicants from RD rather than dip into the EA deferred pool.

sand87632

Postby sand87632 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

beef wellington wrote:Do you guys honestly think we're being punished for applying early? I like to believe we were held because of our index scores and we'll be reviewed with the RD people who have the same index scores. It sucks having to wait but I can't see why they would admit worse applicants from RD rather than dip into the EA deferred pool.

bump. I agree with beef

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:30 pm

sand87632 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Do you guys honestly think we're being punished for applying early? I like to believe we were held because of our index scores and we'll be reviewed with the RD people who have the same index scores. It sucks having to wait but I can't see why they would admit worse applicants from RD rather than dip into the EA deferred pool.

bump. I agree with beef

wondering what everyones indexes are. 3.4

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”