Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SilverE2

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:12 pm

jks289 wrote:
como wrote:Sorry to be a downer, guys. I just thought I should give you some info regarding why the office is taking so long to get to everyone. However, I have a feeling the numbers will stay relatively similar, although maybe go up a touch. Really, I think there is a good chance they'll be doing some interviewing, but a lot of WLing.

How dare you come in here after break my heart?!? I kid, I kid. I do appreciate the article. I hadn't realized it was that bad, though there was an NPR piece about applications at Cornell a few weeks ago. I need to start making choices knowing all the information, including that Cornell is a longer shot than I thought. Honestly after reading that article we started look at apartments in Boston, and I almost, almost am getting excited about the prospect of going to BU. Of course, my heart still belongs to Ithaca.

Why are you getting excited about the prospect of going to BU? The reason I ask is because BU is quickly looking like it'll be my most solid prospect as well, however I am not at all excited and need some encouragement.

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:27 pm

krispykitten wrote:
No. Rumor has it that it could be a while... I assume you know about the 52% uptick in applications. Sorry to see you in here Rambo.

My heart sank reading this. I never realized that, compared to the Admissions lull, I would look back to studying for the LSAT with such warmth and fondness.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:32 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
como wrote:Sorry to be a downer, guys. I just thought I should give you some info regarding why the office is taking so long to get to everyone. However, I have a feeling the numbers will stay relatively similar, although maybe go up a touch. Really, I think there is a good chance they'll be doing some interviewing, but a lot of WLing.

How dare you come in here after break my heart?!? I kid, I kid. I do appreciate the article. I hadn't realized it was that bad, though there was an NPR piece about applications at Cornell a few weeks ago. I need to start making choices knowing all the information, including that Cornell is a longer shot than I thought. Honestly after reading that article we started look at apartments in Boston, and I almost, almost am getting excited about the prospect of going to BU. Of course, my heart still belongs to Ithaca.

Why are you getting excited about the prospect of going to BU? The reason I ask is because BU is quickly looking like it'll be my most solid prospect as well, however I am not at all excited and need some encouragement.

Because I would be happy to be in the Northeast long term, I want to do public interest work and I am hoping to leverage a scholarship offer (nothing from them so far). That said I have A+ contacts in the area I'd like to pursue, so I am less concerned about job placement. Also, because if you step away from TLS getting into a T20 law school (also WUSTL) ain't bad at all, my friend. In fact, I'm giving up both a pat on the back. So professionally BU would be okay for me. And personally my husband grew up an hour outside of Boston, his family is there, and he would have lot of career prospects. So for him it is the best choice. I also like that BU is rated as having the best professors and classroom experience. I like to learn, and I am hoping to enjoy these 3 years. That said, if Cornell lets me in I will drag my husband's ass kicking and screaming to Ithaca to pay sticker and do the adcoms laundry for three years.

ETA: I also think Boston is a pretty nice city. And apartments are cheaper than LA!

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:12 pm

SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:It's February... we should be getting our second review any time now. Any news?!?

No. Rumor has it that it could be a while... I assume you know about the 52% uptick in applications. Sorry to see you in here Rambo.

word on the street has it they will start the second review round beginning of March

(and by street I mean I talked to admissions and they told me)

Thanks, I couldn't remember who said it. :)

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

krispykitten wrote:
SanBun wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:It's February... we should be getting our second review any time now. Any news?!?

word on the street has it they will start the second review round beginning of March

(and by street I mean I talked to admissions and they told me)

Thanks, I couldn't remember who said it. :)

I think there were inconsistencies in what they told people. I was told March, but other people were todl February. I think with the ap increase, all bets are off.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:27 pm

They will start reviewing the second round in March or will start telling people in March?

Also, does anybody have any idea if it will be a succession of those weird rejected/accepted/deferred rounds that we got in December? I hope Cornell does us the courtesy of not repeating that, because that was unnecessary. They could have told us all on the same day like other schools do.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Ugh. Basically, I shouldn´t expect anything anytime soon. I hope there is still room in the class come March.

I´m still holding out for Cornell, but I guess I should start weighing BU$ against Texas. Anybody else in the same boat? What are your non-Cornell finalists?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:05 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Ugh. Basically, I shouldn´t expect anything anytime soon. I hope there is still room in the class come March.

I´m still holding out for Cornell, but I guess I should start weighing BU$ against Texas. Anybody else in the same boat? What are your non-Cornell finalists?

Idk... I'm thinking BC, WUSTL, or W&M-- right now, I only have $$ from W&M and going to law school for only 13k/year is sounding really tempting... (that is if Cornell doesn't work out, or if W&M on the cheap sounds like a really bad idea.)

sand87632

Postby sand87632 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm

krispykitten wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Ugh. Basically, I shouldn´t expect anything anytime soon. I hope there is still room in the class come March.

Idk... I'm thinking BC, WUSTL, or W&M-- right now, I only have $$ from W&M and going to law school for only 13k/year is sounding really tempting... (that is if Cornell doesn't work out, or if W&M on the cheap sounds like a really bad idea.)

My non cornell finalists are BU, BC and GW, I decided not to apply to UT because I went there for undergrad and I want to get the hell out of ATX. Not a bad city...just been here too long.

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I´m in the BU backup pool too. They gave me 45000 over three years and agreed to waive my parents finanical info (I´m old). If I land the PI scholarship it´s going to be tough to talk myself into paying sticker at Cornell although I like it much better. Boston rocks and I have some excellent friends there so I could be persuaded.

If we all end up at BU we can start an "I wish i was in Ithaca" club and go drinking the first week of school. 8)

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:33 pm

somethingclever wrote:I´m in the BU backup pool too. They gave me 45000 over three years and agreed to waive my parents finanical info (I´m old). If I land the PI scholarship it´s going to be tough to talk myself into paying sticker at Cornell although I like it much better. Boston rocks and I have some excellent friends there so I could be persuaded.

If we all end up at BU we can start an "I wish i was in Ithaca" club and go drinking the first week of school. 8)

Is it safe to assume BU isn't going to offer me any money? I emailed them about it and got no answer. Am I really going to have to move to Missouri?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:02 pm

jks289 wrote:
somethingclever wrote:I´m in the BU backup pool too. They gave me 45000 over three years and agreed to waive my parents finanical info (I´m old). If I land the PI scholarship it´s going to be tough to talk myself into paying sticker at Cornell although I like it much better. Boston rocks and I have some excellent friends there so I could be persuaded.

Is it safe to assume BU isn't going to offer me any money? I emailed them about it and got no answer. Am I really going to have to move to Missouri?

Aww, shit, did WUSTL start handing out the $$?

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Well I was held at Cornell as well and just got into BU which was always one of my top choices. No mention on a scholarship in my acceptance letter, but I'm hoping a letter will follow! :|

eye

Postby eye » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:26 pm

165/3.9 here.

So earlier I was flirting with the idea of retaking the LSAT in June. There is 4 months until the exam, and I have a fee waiver. I figured why the hell not and officially signed up. Subsequently ordered $136 worth of PT's.

I'm already in some good schools, but hoping a possible bump will get my foot in the door for Cornell.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:09 pm

eye wrote:165/3.9 here.

So earlier I was flirting with the idea of retaking the LSAT in June. There is 4 months until the exam, and I have a fee waiver. I figured why the hell not and officially signed up. Subsequently ordered $136 worth of PT's.

I'm already in some good schools, but hoping a possible bump will get my foot in the door for Cornell.

Good luck! I admire your perseverance-- I can't imagine retaking the LSAT :(

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:12 pm

krispykitten wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Not yet, just hoping they wouldn't mention being up for a scholarship and then say "No, nevermind, you get nothing."

Also, I cannot freaking believe I am taking the LSAT for the third tome tomorrow. I hope Cornell appreciates the effort.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 pm

jks289 wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Not yet, just hoping they wouldn't mention being up for a scholarship and then say "No, nevermind, you get nothing."

Also, I cannot freaking believe I am taking the LSAT for the third tome tomorrow. I hope Cornell appreciates the effort.

Good luck! You'll rock it :)

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm

krispykitten wrote:
jks289 wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Good luck! You'll rock it :)

Aww, thanks.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:27 am

I'm in almost the exact same situation (#s + fee waiver) and have contemplated the same thing, but have yet to sign up. What made you decide to do it? I only have one WL so far (at Vandy) and really don't want to wait another year to reapply as I've had a pretty decent cycle. But that's not even my main motivation. At this point, I just want the satisfaction of knowing I can do it.

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:What are your non-Cornell finalists?

So far it's looking like Pitt ($$), BU ($$), IUB (free).

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:42 pm

I hate to tell you all, but I believe that some folks on the other cornell thread said that cornell will not consider a 3rd lsat score and no you should not bother taking it for them.

eye

Postby eye » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:00 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

I'm in almost the exact same situation (#s + fee waiver) and have contemplated the same thing, but have yet to sign up. What made you decide to do it? I only have one WL so far (at Vandy) and really don't want to wait another year to reapply as I've had a pretty decent cycle. But that's not even my main motivation. At this point, I just want the satisfaction of knowing I can do it.

What made me decide is that with a high GPA, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. If I do worse than my first LSAT, I have nothing to worry about because I already have a seat at my target school. If by chance I do better, well, then, that's a whole different cookie. :) And yes, I want the satisfaction of knowing that I gave it my all.

Besides, I'm not going to go crazy on the studying. I'll casually take a PT once a week until exam day. No stress.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Looks like BU is the common thread here. I'm also waiting to see if WUStL or Emory will throw any money my way. Are those two schools prestigious enough to use as leverage against BU? I'm thankful to have 15k a year from BU right now, but I'm hoping for more from the other two.

somethingclever: Do you know the amount of BU's public interest scholarship? I'm working on my essay now.

In case it isn't clear... my decision may come down to Cost of Attendance unless I get into a reach.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Looks like BU is the common thread here. I'm also waiting to see if WUStL or Emory will throw any money my way. Are those two schools prestigious enough to use as leverage against BU? I'm thankful to have 15k a year from BU right now, but I'm hoping for more from the other two.

somethingclever: Do you know the amount of BU's public interest scholarship? I'm working on my essay now.

In case it isn't clear... my decision may come down to Cost of Attendance unless I get into a reach.

Yeah, if I were up for any $$ at BU, I'd prolly be heading there... maybe BC will throw some my way. If y'all don't mind me derailing the thread for a little bit, what would yall do if you were in my boat: In at BU/BC w/no money and in at W&M for a cost of 13k/yr -- and hoping to eventually live in VA/NC/SC (and waitlisted at UVA, fml lol)

also: 1000! woo!

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:26 pm

krispykitten wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Looks like BU is the common thread here. I'm also waiting to see if WUStL or Emory will throw any money my way. Are those two schools prestigious enough to use as leverage against BU? I'm thankful to have 15k a year from BU right now, but I'm hoping for more from the other two.

Yeah, if I were up for any $$ at BU, I'd prolly be heading there... maybe BC will throw some my way. If y'all don't mind me derailing the thread for a little bit, what would yall do if you were in my boat: In at BU/BC w/no money and in at W&M for a cost of 13k/yr -- and hoping to eventually live in VA/NC/SC (and waitlisted at UVA, fml lol)

also: 1000! woo!

Clearly W&M right? It has to outplace the Boston schools in its own region, and it's cheaper.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 pm

W&M for 13k/year total? Tuition+room+board+all that?

Compare that to attending BU for around 60k/year... seems to me that the cheaper option is the way to go.

Maybe WUStL throws you some cash and you can negotiate with one of the Boston schools. Even if that happens, W&M will probably end up being cheaper.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”