Cornell EA Deferred Crew Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clint4law

Silver

Re: Cornell EA Deferred Crew

Post by clint4law » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 pm

How did you guys send your LOCI? Email? USPS?

sand87632

Bronze

Post by sand87632 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:31 pm

clint4law wrote:How did you guys send your LOCI? Email? USPS?
I sent an initial short email immediately after receiving the deferment notification to indicate that I wanted to remain in the review process and then I sent my LOCI a couple of weeks later, printed on nice resume paper.

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm

sent email requesting to consider me for regular admissions. Typed up the LOCI and will send out tomorrow. How long did you guys make the LOCI?

Mine came out to half a page.

sand87632

Bronze

Post by sand87632 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:42 pm

eye wrote:sent email requesting to consider me for regular admissions. Typed up the LOCI and will send out tomorrow. How long did you guys make the LOCI?

Mine came out to half a page.
Mine was one page long. But I made it into a why cornell and what I will bring to cornell essay too, so it is probably longer than most people. Being concise is never bad, unless you don't get your point across.

sand87632

Bronze

Post by sand87632 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Is this what everyone's letter said?
"[Cornell Admissions] has decided to refer your application to our regular J.D. application pool for possible further consideration....please understand that...you will be given full consideration as part of our regular application pool."

Does it seem like the italicized words above sort of represent a contradiction? Is it only possible that they will consider us further? or will we certainly be given full consideration? I am thinking they mean the latter and that the 'possible' really refers vaguely to the possibility that we will be accepted....
Last edited by sand87632 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 pm

sand87632 wrote:Is this what everyone's letter said?
"[Cornell Admissions] has decided to refer your application to our regular J.D. application pool for possible further consideration....please understand that...you will be given full consideration as part of our regular application pool."

Does it seem like the italicized words above sort of represent a contradiction? Is it only possible that they will consider us further? or will be certainly be given full consideration? I am thinking they mean the latter and that the 'possible' really refers vaguely to the possibility that we will be accepted....
+1 I noticed that too when I read the letter.. I though maybe they meant "possible admittance" but not sure. really weird, makes me feel bad

sand87632

Bronze

Post by sand87632 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

SanBun wrote:

Does it seem like the italicized words above sort of represent a contradiction? Is it only possible that they will consider us further? or will be certainly be given full consideration? I am thinking they mean the latter and that the 'possible' really refers vaguely to the possibility that we will be accepted....
+1 I noticed that too when I read the letter.. I though maybe they meant "possible admittance" but not sure. really weird, makes me feel bad
I am assuming that they did not write it carefully...otherwise they wouldn't have said full consideration.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:00 pm

SanBun wrote:

Feel better.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Almost forgot about this thread--or more accurately, I tired to forget--at least for the holidays. Anyway, just sent off my LOCI this morning as a PDF attachment. Hoping to hear some good news come March--as this will be my 7th LOCI (including the LOCI's I sent for last year's cycle).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sand87632

Bronze

Post by sand87632 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 pm

cougarlive wrote:Almost forgot about this thread--or more accurately, I tired to forget--at least for the holidays. Anyway, just sent off my LOCI this morning as a PDF attachment. Hoping to hear some good news come March--as this will be my 7th LOCI (including the LOCI's I sent for last year's cycle).
You might call to confirm they are willing to open an attachment. The admissions office told me in November that it is their policy to NOT open attachments to emails. Consequently, I had to submit one of my essays within the body of an email.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

sand87632 wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Almost forgot about this thread--or more accurately, I tired to forget--at least for the holidays. Anyway, just sent off my LOCI this morning as a PDF attachment. Hoping to hear some good news come March--as this will be my 7th LOCI (including the LOCI's I sent for last year's cycle).
You might call to confirm they are willing to open an attachment. The admissions office told me in November that it is their policy to NOT open attachments to emails. Consequently, I had to submit one of my essays within the body of an email.
For what it's worth, I e-mailed them a PDF LOCI not long after the deferral, and they wrote back quickly and said they would add it to my file. Guessing that means they opened it.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:25 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
sand87632 wrote:
For what it's worth, I e-mailed them a PDF LOCI not long after the deferral, and they wrote back quickly and said they would add it to my file. Guessing that means they opened it.
Thanks sand87632. I included the letter in the body of the email as well, just in case they preferred not opening attachments. I still included the pdf attachments as the format was more readable.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm

I should probably throw my name into this thread. I fired off an email LOCI a few weeks ago. It came to about a page in Word. I used the TLS thread for assistance.

Love me some Cornell, but $50k/yr is looking pretty steep right now. I'll hang out to see how things play out though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robotoroboto

New

Post by robotoroboto » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:45 pm

I sent in an LOCI via post, but I have to say, from the reality-show style of the EA decisions process, the vagueness of whether we will possibly be considered as part of the RD group or definitely get a full review and the knowledge that there will be no scholarship coming any of our ways---I'm kind of just getting less and less enthralled with Cornell.

no way would i ever retake LSAT for them. aren't placement statistics at Cornell terrible?

anyways, I'd still love their approval.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 pm

robotoroboto wrote:I sent in an LOCI via post, but I have to say, from the reality-show style of the EA decisions process, the vagueness of whether we will possibly be considered as part of the RD group or definitely get a full review and the knowledge that there will be no scholarship coming any of our ways---I'm kind of just getting less and less enthralled with Cornell.

no way would i ever retake LSAT for them. aren't placement statistics at Cornell terrible?

anyways, I'd still love their approval.

Did I miss something? Where do you get that from?

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:34 pm

In my EA-deferral letter, it was absolutely clear that they would review my file again, fully, with the RD applications. I recently became aware that there is a different version of the letter in which they may "POSSIBLY" review the applicant's file with the RD crowd. I am also now aware that there was vague and ambiguous language in the second version, which is causing people some concern.

I think it is clear that Cornell sent out two versions of the deferral letters. For those of you with the word "POSSIBLY" written, it sounds like your file is going to be "backlogged", that is, placed behind the others, and IF it is reviewed again, it will be given "FULL" consideration along with the others.

Please feel free to disagree, but it simply cannot be a mistake that they qualified the second version of the letter by adding in the word "POSSIBLY".

Good luck to all,

SHARK WEEK.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Guys, don't feel bad. Out of all the top law schools, I have heard over and over again that Cornell has the worst looking girls, worst weather, and has one of the largest workloads. All of this information has been gleaned from tls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:52 pm

imisscollege wrote:Guys, don't feel bad. Out of all the top law schools, I have heard over and over again that Cornell has the worst looking girls, worst weather, and has one of the largest workloads. All of this information has been gleaned from tls.
THANKS.

sand87632

Bronze

Post by sand87632 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:In my EA-deferral letter, it was absolutely clear that they would review my file again, fully, with the RD applications. I recently became aware that there is a different version of the letter in which they may "POSSIBLY" review the applicant's file with the RD crowd. I am also now aware that there was vague and ambiguous language in the second version, which is causing people some concern.

I think it is clear that Cornell sent out two versions of the deferral letters. For those of you with the word "POSSIBLY" written, it sounds like your file is going to be "backlogged", that is, placed behind the others, and IF it is reviewed again, it will be given "FULL" consideration along with the others.

Please feel free to disagree, but it simply cannot be a mistake that they qualified the second version of the letter by adding in the word "POSSIBLY".

Good luck to all,

SHARK WEEK.
Can you post the content of the first paragraph of your letter?

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:In my EA-deferral letter, it was absolutely clear that they would review my file again, fully, with the RD applications. I recently became aware that there is a different version of the letter in which they may "POSSIBLY" review the applicant's file with the RD crowd. I am also now aware that there was vague and ambiguous language in the second version, which is causing people some concern.

Good luck to all,

SHARK WEEK.
that makes me feel so shitty. Can someone explain this to me: I am exactly, and I mean EXACTLY at their median for last year, applied EA, have great softs, wrote Why Cornell with reference to specific programs, and they only wanna MAYBE consider me?? WTF??? I feel so shitty, seriously, I'm right at median and overcame severe educational disadvantages to get there, why only a shitty MAYBE???

Edit: i feel like nobody even read my app. I have an incredible story to tell (without exaggeration)
and i can't believe i just get a shitty maybe despite having solid numbers for Cornell. I'm just so disappointed.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm

My letter says I've been referred to the regular pool "for possible further consideration." Then shortly after this is says, don't be upset, "you will be given full consideration as part of our regular application pool."

Now whether or not they follow through is one thing, but full consideration, regardless of the possible, sounds like it ain't getting backlogged.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm

And I'm a jackass. I want to apologize for the mistake. Indeed, I returned home and found that my letter also says "possible consideration". Now I am confused as everyone else.

The reason why I was so certain that my letter didn't have the word "possible" in it is due to the fact that the rest of the letter makes it sound certain that they will review the file. Hence, the ambiguous language tricked me!

I think they have to put the word "possible" in the letter in case someone brings an appeal or something and the admissions office didn't actually re-read the applicant's file or something. Pure speculation, but sounds reasonable to assume.

Again, sorry for the terrible mistake. That is what happens when a letter is written ambiguously!

Good luck to everyone. They HAVE to take some of us EA-deferrees.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm

FWIW, I read it as though they would consider your application again if you choose to express continued interest, as the letter assumes that if you do not respond by Feb. 1 you are no longer interested in receiving a decision. And if you choose to express continued interest then you will get (whatever it is that constitutes) full consideration.

My $.02.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm visiting in a few weeks.

Chrysander

New

Post by Chrysander » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Most matriculants to Cornell arrived off the EA-deferred pile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”