UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
a male human

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:12 am

MD/JD2B wrote:Does Hastings expect you to have your 2009 taxes done before financial aid decisions are made? Ain't gonna happen with me....
And they sure are sticklers about California residency and having to explain two addresses, absences from the state..

They recommended you to file your 2009 taxes before finaid documents.

erico

Postby erico » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:19 am

needacces = worst thing ever. so sick of these forms!

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:24 am

Need Access wasn't too bad. I just found the forms to not be the best designed and some of the fields confusing. Which resulted in me checking it over at least 10 times... :?

angela

Postby angela » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:53 am

Are you supposed to fill out the need access form only if you have already been admitted, or even if you are awaiting a decision? thanks

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:33 am

angela wrote:Are you supposed to fill out the need access form only if you have already been admitted, or even if you are awaiting a decision? thanks

You need to fill it out for each school you've applied that requires/requests it, even if you're not admitted yet. I don't think you have the option of submitting it later? Correct me if I'm wrong...I'm debating whether to bother with it at all. I feel like the money I saved up so far (plus no UG Debt) is going to pretty much rule me out for any grants. Does anyone know if the needaccess is required for merit based aid?

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 am

msch0i wrote:
angela wrote:Are you supposed to fill out the need access form only if you have already been admitted, or even if you are awaiting a decision? thanks

You need to fill it out for each school you've applied that requires/requests it, even if you're not admitted yet. I don't think you have the option of submitting it later? Correct me if I'm wrong...I'm debating whether to bother with it at all. I feel like the money I saved up so far (plus no UG Debt) is going to pretty much rule me out for any grants. Does anyone know if the needaccess is required for merit based aid?

Shouldn't require it for merit, as it's for need..

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:25 pm

sibley wrote:
msch0i wrote:

Yeah I guessed as much, but I remember for UC UGs, schools wanted the FAFSA to receive ANY kind of scholarships, including merit-based.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Does anybody know the level of need necessary to get $ from the need access?

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:09 pm

msch0i wrote:
sibley wrote:
msch0i wrote:

Yeah I guessed as much, but I remember for UC UGs, schools wanted the FAFSA to receive ANY kind of scholarships, including merit-based.

I thought for Hastings at least, FAFSA is for loans only.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:48 pm

a male human wrote:

I thought for Hastings at least, FAFSA is for loans only.[/quote]

Yeah, but I know that at least for undergrad, the schools wanted you to fill out the FAFSA just to get an idea of your financial situation to qualify for even the merit aid they offered. And since FAFSA is more geared towards loans for law school, I thought maybe they wanted you to fill out the needaccess form also because it's a lot more detailed and it's used to determine eligibility for need-based grants.

Maybe I'll just call a couple of the schools on Monday. We have til March 2nd, right? :D

edit: crap. Hastings' deadline is March 1. UCLA's is March 2nd. Onward to all of my other schools to find out their specific due dates...sigh.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:43 pm

booked my trip to SF for the April 17 ASD, it sucks that they don't provide travel stipends

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Borhas wrote:booked my trip to SF for the April 17 ASD, it sucks that they don't provide travel stipends

Seems Hastings doesn't help you financially for most... Yet there are so many people enrolled. I plan to explore the reason more in depth at the March ASD.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 am

I also got the email to register for selective services, and I am female. It must be an error on their end. I emailed them about it.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 am

maybesheis wrote:I also got the email to register for selective services, and I am female. It must be an error on their end. I emailed them about it.

According to a CNN poll yesterday, 67% of respondents believed that women should be allowed to serve on the front lines in combat. Maybe women will be required to register for selective service in the near future?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:03 am

swheat wrote:
maybesheis wrote:I also got the email to register for selective services, and I am female. It must be an error on their end. I emailed them about it.

According to a CNN poll yesterday, 67% of respondents believed that women should be allowed to serve on the front lines in combat. Maybe women will be required to register for selective service in the near future?

true definition of equality

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:12 am

finalaspects wrote:
swheat wrote:

I think it'd be a tragedy for that to happen. This country is becoming more and more savage all the time. I hate the fact that the government can take me to war or otherwise throw me in jail, and if they ever tried to do the same to my girlfriend I'd probably lose all faith in humanity. It's not just some kind of old school notion of "protecting the inferior sex" either. I think it is more my opposition to the growing militarization of American society.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 am

swheat wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
swheat wrote:

I think it'd be a tragedy for that to happen. This country is becoming more and more savage all the time. I hate the fact that the government can take me to war or otherwise throw me in jail, and if they ever tried to do the same to my girlfriend I'd probably lose all faith in humanity. It's not just some kind of old school notion of "protecting the inferior sex" either. I think it is more my opposition to the growing militarization of American society.

i don't like the idea of being drafted either. just stating that equality also involves the negatives as well as the positives.

elmeromero

Postby elmeromero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:29 am

a male human wrote:
Borhas wrote:booked my trip to SF for the April 17 ASD, it sucks that they don't provide travel stipends

Seems Hastings doesn't help you financially for most... Yet there are so many people enrolled. I plan to explore the reason more in depth at the March ASD.

And in the spirit of saving money, I am thankful the ASD only lasts until 4. I booked my flights to be in and out of SF on the same day.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:02 pm

I just spoke with the financial aid office and they said sometimes this happens, but I do not need to register. She just asked me to email the office and let them know.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Have any October/November completes out there inquired about their application status lately? I was planning on e-mailing them sometime this week to ask but wanted to see if anyone even got a response.

azb

Postby azb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 pm

msch0i wrote:Have any October/November completes out there inquired about their application status lately? I was planning on e-mailing them sometime this week to ask but wanted to see if anyone even got a response.

I am thinking on calling or emailing them. I have not heard from Hasting since I went complete in Nov.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 pm

msch0i wrote:Have any October/November completes out there inquired about their application status lately? I was planning on e-mailing them sometime this week to ask but wanted to see if anyone even got a response.

mid-oct told me to wait until end of may...

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

finalaspects wrote:

mid-oct told me to wait until end of may...

Why can't they just give us the word already!? Whatever word that may be :|

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:06 pm

anybody know if Hastings is a mac-friendly school? My assumption is that most have to be...but I've heard rumors this isn't always the case at all schools because some test programs are not compatible.

Just wondering before I go out and buy a laptop...

Thanks!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Shellbelle wrote:anybody know if Hastings is a mac-friendly school? My assumption is that most have to be...but I've heard rumors this isn't always the case at all schools because some test programs are not compatible.

Just wondering before I go out and buy a laptop...

Thanks!

Over half of Hastings students use Mac. No problems except when it comes to exams. You need to install Windows on your macbook to run the exam software. It isn't difficult...the IT guys at Hastings will help if need be. The problem is spending $100+ for a version of Windows (although they sold us Windows 7 for $29.99 when it first came out..not sure if that deal is still available)

Some of the student legislature people are trying to get Hastings to give out free windows copies to students. Money is tight though so don't hold your breath.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”