UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 pm

sibley wrote:
finalaspects wrote:then again its my fault for taking undergrad lightly... :cry:

heh. I worked decently hard in undergrad and my gpa is still slightly below the mean or the median or something for my school. oh well. (and yet another reason I want to go to a school that's not quite the best I could get int0)...

that depends on how difficult your undergrad is and what your major was. if you aced eskimo poetry as your major i don't think that means much, even if it was from havard.

i wanted to just play and party than study. i did enough to pass and that's about it. i also worked nearly full time for all 4 years. and i double majored because of my interests in the material rather then to get good grades. I attended a UC.

but i don't get how that's a reason for you to go to a school thats not quite the best you could get into? you don't want to try hard?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:but i don't get how that's a reason for you to go to a school thats not quite the best you could get into? you don't want to try hard?

No, I don't want to end up at the bottom of my class just because of the way I tend to perform on exams. It won't make it any easier to get a job. I want to go to a mid-ranked school to save money. And because I can do better there than I could do at a higher ranked school, just because.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

sibley wrote:
finalaspects wrote:but i don't get how that's a reason for you to go to a school thats not quite the best you could get into? you don't want to try hard?

No, I don't want to end up at the bottom of my class just because of the way I tend to perform on exams. It won't make it any easier to get a job. I want to go to a mid-ranked school to save money. And because I can do better there than I could do at a higher ranked school, just because.

makes sense. but you scored a 170 on the LSAT and its one of the more rigorous testing situation. you're not good at taking exams?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 pm

finalaspects wrote:
sibley wrote:

makes sense. but you scored a 170 on the LSAT and its one of the more rigorous testing situation. you're not good at taking exams?

I'm not good at recall. Or math. I'm awesome at papers... but I actually had to drop a psych class because I just couldn't wrap my head around what the heck they wanted me to say. The multiple choice was okay, but the fill-in-the-blanks and the short answers were murder. They'd always comment, or I'd ask and be told, that what I said was correct... but not for what they were asking. I would have gotten a C, and a minor.... but I didn't want to hurt my GPA any more than the mono the previous semester already did.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Any more decisions? Wonder if that waitlist wave was the first of many to come in the near future...

Just to do a general survey, who out there has been complete since Oct/Nov that hasn't heard back? I'm 11/5 and i know there are at least a few October completes out there still...

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm

msch0i wrote:Any more decisions? Wonder if that waitlist wave was the first of many to come in the near future...

Just to do a general survey, who out there has been complete since Oct/Nov that hasn't heard back? I'm 11/5 and i know there are at least a few October completes out there still...

i think i was ~11/15 complete, although i submitted 10/30

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 pm

msch0i wrote:Any more decisions? Wonder if that waitlist wave was the first of many to come in the near future...

complete since mid-oct or so

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Complete since ~11/10 and haven't heard a peep (except for the EC deferral). Intrigued by the fact that the waitlist missed me. My fingers are starting to get cramped from having them crossed for so long!!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:27 pm

J Burrito wrote:

Complete since ~11/10 and haven't heard a peep (except for the EC deferral). Intrigued by the fact that the waitlist missed me. My fingers are starting to get cramped from having them crossed for so long!!

the deferral is a waitlist on its own... you might be waiting as long as the waitlisted crowd...

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Certainly hope this is not true for this year's cycle- I just looked on LSN for last year, specifically for the November completes, and found that the few who hadn't heard from Hastings before mid-February were all waitlists and rejections (one exception).

... :shock:

edit: this is also true for October completes. crap.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:31 pm

msch0i wrote:Certainly hope this is not true for this year's cycle- I just looked on LSN for last year, specifically for the November completes, and found that the few who hadn't heard from Hastings before mid-February were all waitlists and rejections (one exception).

you just had to discover that... well i saw some oct and nov wait til end of march to get accepted. going to april is definitely a bad sign, but most people were rejected before april...

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:35 pm

finalaspects wrote:
J Burrito wrote:

the deferral is a waitlist on its own... you might be waiting as long as the waitlisted crowd...

We'll see. I'm just trying to stay positive. I haven't checked the mail yet today :wink:

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:37 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:Certainly hope this is not true for this year's cycle- I just looked on LSN for last year, specifically for the November completes, and found that the few who hadn't heard from Hastings before mid-February were all waitlists and rejections (one exception).

you just had to discover that... well i saw some oct and nov wait til end of march to get accepted. going to april is definitely a bad sign, but most people were rejected before april...

March is going to be a rough month. -sigh-

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 pm

i visited recently and have a couple things to pass along if you guys are interested:

I talked with admissions, and they said applications at Hastings are down this year by about 500 apps so far (although last year was a record). Also, they said a few scholarships have gone out so far, but not many (LSN would support this, I guess). More should go out in the next couple weeks. If you guys are in the area stop by and talk with the admissions folks, they're really friendly. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 pm

msch0i wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

March is going to be a rough month. -sigh-

the strange part is hastings rejects people on a rolling basis. the only people they rejected in april were people who applied jan or after jan... if they wanted to reject us they will do it sooner then later...

with that said im sure my rejection letter is sitting in my mail box.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:i visited recently and have a couple things to pass along if you guys are interested:

I talked with admissions, and they said applications at Hastings are down this year by about 500 apps so far (although last year was a record). Also, they said a few scholarships have gone out so far, but not many (LSN would support this, I guess). More should go out in the next couple weeks. If you guys are in the area stop by and talk with the admissions folks, they're really friendly. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I'm very curious to see what Hastings gets for a class this year due to their economic situation.

My guess is a thinning of the middle of the class. Those with scholarship enough to mitigate the fiscal woes will not be too worried, and those on the bottom end will likely just be happy to have gotten in. Those in the middle to bottom will see the cost, the meager scholarship, and look elsewhere. However, this presumes rational consumerism and, well, we don't seem to do too well on that regard...

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:i visited recently and have a couple things to pass along if you guys are interested:

I'm very curious to see what Hastings gets for a class this year due to their economic situation.

My guess is a thinning of the middle of the class. Those with scholarship enough to mitigate the fiscal woes will not be too worried, and those on the bottom end will likely just be happy to have gotten in. Those in the middle to bottom will see the cost, the meager scholarship, and look elsewhere. However, this presumes rational consumerism and, well, we don't seem to do too well on that regard...

<3 game theory.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:51 pm

sibley wrote:<3 game theory.

If anyone has the spare time and initiative, feel free to make an MSpaint decision matrix for Hastings.

Just a thought.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
sibley wrote:<3 game theory.

If anyone has the spare time and initiative, feel free to make an MSpaint decision matrix for Hastings.

Just a thought.

All I learned were the trees. but I LOVE the trees.

...but they assume perfect knowledge. which I do not have. and neither does hastings (dummies wl me.... so much for being saved by san francisco)

eam829

Postby eam829 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 pm

dinged today :(

complete since early nov.

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:04 pm

eam829 wrote:dinged today :(

I'm starting to think I'm going to be dinged too. :( Do you mind sharing your stats?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:04 pm

You, my friend, are in very good company.

eam829

Postby eam829 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Last edited by eam829 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 pm

eam829 wrote:
cLams wrote:

I'm starting to think I'm going to be dinged too. :( Do you mind sharing your stats?

162/3.4-- kind of expected but was was hoping work as a legal journalist would be a big help. le sigh.

sigh i was complete since mid-oct... if you're going to reject me hastings i don't mind just do it now!

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:46 pm

finalaspects wrote:
eam829 wrote:
cLams wrote:

162/3.4-- kind of expected but was was hoping work as a legal journalist would be a big help. le sigh.

sigh i was complete since mid-oct... if you're going to reject me hastings i don't mind just do it now!

Bummed, bummed, bummed! I'm 161/3.7 :( I'm really surprised by their admission choices this cycle. A ton of great applicants have been let down. (But still a HUGE congrats to all the awesome admits)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”