UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rw2264

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
scottyso wrote:How much money could a 176/3.3 applicant expect from Hastings?

Don't mean to unnecessarily scare you, but last year they didn't even admit anyone with your combination of LSAT and GPA. You are, according to their admissions stats, too good for them.

do you think i'd get in with a 170/3.38? i'm in-state and poor and want them to give me money.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:12 pm

rw2264 wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:
scottyso wrote:How much money could a 176/3.3 applicant expect from Hastings?

Don't mean to unnecessarily scare you, but last year they didn't even admit anyone with your combination of LSAT and GPA. You are, according to their admissions stats, too good for them.

do you think i'd get in with a 170/3.38? i'm in-state and poor and want them to give me money.

+1 but not the instate. I hear they're stinking on the $$$ front lately?

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm

rw2264 wrote:do you think i'd get in with a 170/3.38? i'm in-state and poor and want them to give me money.

Last year 26 of 47 applicants in your bracket (3.25–3.49; 170–174) were accepted. I'd think the rest were most certainly YPed. As for aid, it seems to be that the money they do give out is overwhelmingly based on need, not merit. Hastings requires both the FAFSA and the much more laborious Needs Access.

FWIW, 73.6% of the student body receives grants/scholarships...but virtually all of that is "Less than 1/2 tuition". 897 receiving grants, 891 receiving less than 1/2 tuition. Six, or 0.5% of students, receive half to full tuition.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
rw2264 wrote:do you think i'd get in with a 170/3.38? i'm in-state and poor and want them to give me money.

Last year 26 of 47 applicants in your bracket (3.25–3.49; 170–174) were accepted. I'd think the rest were most certainly YPed. As for aid, it seems to be that the money they do give out is overwhelmingly based on need, not merit. Hastings requires both the FAFSA and the much more laborious Needs Access.

FWIW, 73.6% of the student body receives grants/scholarships...but virtually all of that is "Less than 1/2 tuition". 897 receiving grants, 891 receiving less than 1/2 tuition. Six, or 0.5% of students, receive half to full tuition.

Virtually all of that is need-based. And I am not sure that the 73% figure is accurate. I think it might be more like 60 or 66%. The typical need based grant is in the 8k-12k range, although I think they might be bumping it up to 9-13, or 10-14 next year.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 pm

TWoodWil wrote:

i'm also poor. as in my mom is unemployed and the monthly mortgage payment is more than her government benefits.

how can i let them know i'm serious about going there? i don't want to change my PS. can i just e-mail or call the admissions office and tell them i am really interested? i can definitely play up the "i want to go into public interest and therefore need to attend a school that is A) focused on public service and B) reasonably priced" because that is all true.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm

rw2264 wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:

i'm also poor. as in my mom is unemployed and the monthly mortgage payment is more than her government benefits.

how can i let them know i'm serious about going there? i don't want to change my PS. can i just e-mail or call the admissions office and tell them i am really interested? i can definitely play up the "i want to go into public interest and therefore need to attend a school that is A) focused on public service and B) reasonably priced" because that is all true.

Check with deadatheist. She is an expert at communicating with Hastings admissions office. I believe she will tell you to write a "LOCI" or letter of continued interest. Just explain why Hastings is one of your top choices...don't make it sound like Hastings only exists to serve you but make it clear that you really want to go there.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

swheat wrote:
rw2264 wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:

Check with deadatheist. She is an expert at communicating with Hastings admissions office. I believe she will tell you to write a "LOCI" or letter of continued interest. Just explain why Hastings is one of your top choices...don't make it sound like Hastings only exists to serve you but make it clear that you really want to go there.

thank you. i will.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

does anyone know when the next big wave of acceptances will go out? is hastings slower like Davis or are they a mostly January/early February school?

additionally, are they generous with need-based aid? i know they are stingy with merit aid and as an out of stater, it would be great if i could get an amount to at least cover the first year of out of state tuition!

edit: has Hastings addressed this tuition hike..?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

AlanShore wrote:does anyone know when the next big wave of acceptances will go out? is hastings slower like Davis or are they a mostly January/early February school?

additionally, are they generous with need-based aid? i know they are stingy with merit aid and as an out of stater, it would be great if i could get an amount to at least cover the first year of out of state tuition!

according to LSN the first wave of acceptances for last year's cycle came around mid-January. Though, in the app complete e-mail they said they'd mail out the first round of decisions in early January (I've been trying to figure out what "early January" actually means :? ). Not sure about the aid part, though. I know their fees are going up, less so for out of staters but nevertheless, going up considerably.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Received and complete today. Sent 12/22

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Sent 12/30, complete 1/4... but no account login info. Just the email saying I'm complete.

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 pm

I don't think they have any account logins or status checkers. I submitted my app in November and never received anything after I went complete

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:06 pm

msch0i wrote:
AlanShore wrote:does anyone know when the next big wave of acceptances will go out? is hastings slower like Davis or are they a mostly January/early February school?

according to LSN the first wave of acceptances for last year's cycle came around mid-January. Though, in the app complete e-mail they said they'd mail out the first round of decisions in early January (I've been trying to figure out what "early January" actually means :? ). Not sure about the aid part, though. I know their fees are going up, less so for out of staters but nevertheless, going up considerably.

How much did the fees rise for in staters? I thought out of staters was 60k, am I correct? If in state tuition rose more dramatically than that (relatively speaking) then that is awful..

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:15 pm

AlanShore wrote:
msch0i wrote:

How much did the fees rise for in staters? I thought out of staters was 60k, am I correct? If in state tuition rose more dramatically than that (relatively speaking) then that is awful..

I'm looking at their fee increase schedule, and it looks like the increases for in-state and out-of-state fees are the same...but still substantial. Fees rose $3400 from 08-09 to 09-10, and are expected to rise another $6600 for the next incoming class. WHEEEEEEE :(

edit: here's the url --LinkRemoved--

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm

not worth sticker, that's really expensive.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Veritas wrote:not worth sticker, that's really expensive.

Wont almost everyone accepted have to pay sticker? or within a couple thousand of sticker?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:

Wont almost everyone accepted have to pay sticker? or within a couple thousand of sticker?

need based?

that's a scary figure, add on living expenses in the Bay Area - no thanks!

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

need based?

too bad it'll probably be the best school I'll get into. UGH I dont want to go to loyola lol.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:26 pm

can you get money at loyola?

what about Davis?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Yeah, Loyola tends to doll out tons of cash if remain in top 1/3 or 1/2 I think. Davis, I'm not too sure of, but they definitely dont give out as much as Loyola.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Yeah, Loyola tends to doll out tons of cash if remain in top 1/3 or 1/2 I think. Davis, I'm not too sure of, but they definitely dont give out as much as Loyola.

I've heard that Davis is good with need based aid.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:30 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Yeah, Loyola tends to doll out tons of cash if remain in top 1/3 or 1/2 I think. Davis, I'm not too sure of, but they definitely dont give out as much as Loyola.

Loyola is a tier 2, so i don't think they're really comparable. I believe, Davis and Hastings will give out $$ after your first year, if you rank high in their class so that you won't transfer out. So that's at least an option. Irvine will give out half tuition if accepted so there's always that as well.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Loyola is a tier 2, so i don't think they're really comparable. I believe, Davis and Hastings will give out $$ after your first year, if you rank high in their class so that you won't transfer out. So that's at least an option. Irvine will give out half tuition if accepted so there's always that as well.

I always forget about the need-based aid. But how downtrodden do you need to be to get a significant amount at these schools?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

need based?

My main competitor to SF is NYC... SF = downright cheap in comparison.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Veritas wrote:

I've heard that Davis is good with need based aid.

I read that 1L is almost ticket, maybe you can get 1000-10,000 in need-based. I hear if you do well then 2L-3L they give substantially more money for you to stay there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”