UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:Sibley, that may be a YP. You do have a 171... LOCI?



My stats are actually 3.34, 170. I got paranoid with all the talk about adcomms (for some ridiculous reason) staking out the forums. But my gpa's a little low so maybe they're YPing on both ends...too high on one too low on the other?

If I do LOCI they won't even consider me for scholarships, will they?

Plus, like their 'application received' email, they say not to call or email about the waitlist. Is LOCI exempt from that?
Last edited by sibley on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TWoodWil
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby TWoodWil » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

sibley wrote:
DoctorNick189 wrote:WL today. 3.0/176.


See. Cruel.


According to previous years a 176 and 171 WL sure looks like a YP. When you look at their own data, you see that Hastings is not afraid of YPing. Best you can do is a LOCI so that you're one of those higher scorers that they do accept instead of reject.
Last edited by TWoodWil on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

WL. Above median GPA, well above 75% LSAT.

Balls.

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby texaspecial88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 pm

jks289 wrote:WL. Above median GPA, well above 75% LSAT.

Balls.


Gotta be a YP

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:
jks289 wrote:WL. Above median GPA, well above 75% LSAT.

Balls.


Gotta be a YP


I think you guys are right about YP. Since the three of us who just got the email can all be defined that way, at least for LSAT.

StyrofoamWar
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby StyrofoamWar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 pm

WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.
Last edited by StyrofoamWar on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 pm

jks289 wrote:WL. Above median GPA, well above 75% LSAT.

Balls.


were you notified through email?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

What do I say in my LOCI? Ken's post says to talk about all my great qualities, but if it's YP don't they think my qualities are too great? Should I instead focus on why I'm so dern interested in switching coasts for their school?

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby texaspecial88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:37 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.


I guess my 162/3.6 isn't gonna get me too far with Hastings...

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jks289 wrote:WL. Above median GPA, well above 75% LSAT.

Balls.


were you notified through email?


Yes, by email. This is my SEVENTH waitlist. I feel like I am getting YPed from my target/safeties, and am not good enough for my target/reaches. I am not that optimistic about my LSAT score for Feb, and am feeling really demoralized. God damn it.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby msch0i » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 pm

sibley wrote:What do I say in my LOCI? Ken's post says to talk about all my great qualities, but if it's YP don't they think my qualities are too great? Should I instead focus on why I'm so dern interested in switching coasts for their school?


They want some assurance that you possess a strong desire to go to Hastings and that you didn't just apply as a safety school. I think as long as you express your intent to attend if accepted, you should be okay :D

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.


that's really weird

cLams
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby cLams » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.


I guess my 162/3.6 isn't gonna get me too far with Hastings...


I'm with you....161/3.7. I'm nervous to check my mail.

Cognoscenti
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Cognoscenti » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

jks289 wrote:WL. Above median GPA, well above 75% LSAT.

Balls.


Uh. Same here (WL and #s). Ridiculous.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 pm

sibley wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:Sibley, that may be a YP. You do have a 171... LOCI?



My stats are actually 3.34, 170. I got paranoid with all the talk about adcomms (for some ridiculous reason) staking out the forums. But my gpa's a little low so maybe they're YPing on both ends...too high on one too low on the other?

If I do LOCI they won't even consider me for scholarships, will they?

Plus, like their 'application received' email, they say not to call or email about the waitlist. Is LOCI exempt from that?


You definitely got YP'd my GPA was 3.31 when I went complete, and 3.38 after fall grades, so it's not like 3.34 is too low for them, especially with that baller LSAT.

Let them know that they are your favorite school on the West Coast and that you want to move etc (if you do)

StyrofoamWar
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby StyrofoamWar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Borhas wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.


that's really weird


Seriously, this makes no sense to me. Tons of people have been admitted with higher numbers, so I have a tough time saying it's a YP because my stuff isn't good enough to warrant that. And tons of people have been admitted with lower stats, so it's not like I'm out of their ranges. If anything, I thought I was the prototypical Hastings apply/admit/attend student, it was tied for my top choice with UCI and I figured I was right there. I'm pretty much in shock at this right now.

"Because we have a very large number of applications to process, we will appreciate if you do not call or email us regarding the waitlist..." So seems to be an anti-LOCI statement to me, but not sure.

User avatar
JolieSaraLee
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby JolieSaraLee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 pm

WL. 3.1 161. URM. Applied LEOP.

Could've been worse.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:
Borhas wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.


that's really weird


Seriously, this makes no sense to me. Tons of people have been admitted with higher numbers, so I have a tough time saying it's a YP because my stuff isn't good enough to warrant that. And tons of people have been admitted with lower stats, so it's not like I'm out of their ranges. If anything, I thought I was the prototypical Hastings apply/admit/attend student, it was tied for my top choice with UCI and I figured I was right there. I'm pretty much in shock at this right now.

"Because we have a very large number of applications to process, we will appreciate if you do not call or email us regarding the waitlist..." So seems to be an anti-LOCI statement to me, but not sure.


I had that too. Did they then beg you to just be patient a little longer?

StyrofoamWar
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby StyrofoamWar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:52 pm

sibley wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:
Borhas wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:WL today, via email about 30 mins ago. 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, tons of good softs, two years work experience at a major law firm in SF.. Went complete on 10/29. Thanks for nothing Hastings.


that's really weird


Seriously, this makes no sense to me. Tons of people have been admitted with higher numbers, so I have a tough time saying it's a YP because my stuff isn't good enough to warrant that. And tons of people have been admitted with lower stats, so it's not like I'm out of their ranges. If anything, I thought I was the prototypical Hastings apply/admit/attend student, it was tied for my top choice with UCI and I figured I was right there. I'm pretty much in shock at this right now.

"Because we have a very large number of applications to process, we will appreciate if you do not call or email us regarding the waitlist..." So seems to be an anti-LOCI statement to me, but not sure.


I had that too. Did they then beg you to just be patient a little longer?


"We sincerely hope that you are willing to wait a little longer for a final decision from Hastings."

Right, like the gap from 10/29/09 - 2/16/10 wasn't enough of a wait, all while watching other people with similar numbers and waaaaay later application dates get acceptances pumped right back at them in under a month.

I know it's completely unfeasible, but I really think law schools should be required to give an explanation behind admissions decisions. Just for our sanity's sake.

nerdy_kiki
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby nerdy_kiki » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm

When I got in, I received a phone call on the 4th. No follow up to that, now that people are getting snail mail, I almost worry that was an elaborate prank, haha

Cali167
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Cali167 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 pm

wow...WL 167/3.8 URM.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby msch0i » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Cali167 wrote:wow...WL 167/3.8 URM.

With those nos. and URM status, I don't think you should worry about hastings too much 8)

Cali167
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Cali167 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:43 pm

msch0i wrote:
Cali167 wrote:wow...WL 167/3.8 URM.

With those nos. and URM status, I don't think you should worry about hastings too much 8)


I hope you're right. So far I have two acceptances (SCU/USC) and two WLs (Hastings/Columbia)...I guess .500 isn't so bad. :D

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Cali167 wrote:
msch0i wrote:
Cali167 wrote:wow...WL 167/3.8 URM.

With those nos. and URM status, I don't think you should worry about hastings too much 8)


I hope you're right. So far I have two acceptances (SCU/USC) and two WLs (Hastings/Columbia)...I guess .500 isn't so bad. :D


Have fun at Berkeley :mrgreen:

Cali167
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Cali167 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Borhas wrote:
Cali167 wrote:
msch0i wrote:
Cali167 wrote:wow...WL 167/3.8 URM.

With those nos. and URM status, I don't think you should worry about hastings too much 8)


I hope you're right. So far I have two acceptances (SCU/USC) and two WLs (Hastings/Columbia)...I guess .500 isn't so bad. :D


Have fun at Berkeley :mrgreen:


FR...we will talk on Thursday :|




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”