UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texaspecial88

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby texaspecial88 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am

Is it weird I haven't heard back from Hastings yet???

I have a 162/3.6 and have been complete since November. Is this a bad sign?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:36 am

texaspecial88 wrote:Is it weird I haven't heard back from Hastings yet???

Good for me! My GPA's identical to yours but my LSAT's 1 point lower but I applied at the end of December! :mrgreen:

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:36 pm

floppymex wrote:Also, historically, SF has not been the most bike-friendly city. This has improved, but biking is more of a leisurely activity in SF, than a real transportation option b/c of the city's hilly terrain and small European-styled streets.

sorry i meant motorbike or motorcycle... you can get a kickass 110cc bike for like 1000$ 90mpg and maybe 30/month insurance

dmclancy06

Postby dmclancy06 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:Is it weird I haven't heard back from Hastings yet???

I have the same stats, complete in the same month, and have 3 years of relevant job experience, and I haven't heard a thing either.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:05 pm

I think I've pretty much made up my mind to go to Hastings, regardless of UC Davis' decision (when or if that ever happens).

azukibeanlove

Postby azukibeanlove » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Borhas wrote:I think I've pretty much made up my mind to go to Hastings, regardless of UC Davis' decision (when or if that ever happens).

How come? I'm trying to decide between the two...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:01 pm

azukibeanlove wrote:
Borhas wrote:I think I've pretty much made up my mind to go to Hastings, regardless of UC Davis' decision (when or if that ever happens).

Two reasons. One, my younger brother is saving up for a car, and if I go to Hastings I can just pass my car down to him. he can lend me some moving money and we'll both be better off for it.

The second reason is that I want to live in an urban environment for once to see what it's like. I'd probably be more comfortable at Davis, but Davis is a lot like my UG city. I want to mix it up a little.

Besides all that, my philosophy on difficult decision making is if there are two options which both have positives and negatives, the harder the decision is, the less it actually matters which choice one makes. Basically, the net benefits aren't so different, and thus I benefit more from making a quick and confident choice than worrying about figuring out which one has the slight marginal benefit.

With that said, I might change my mind...

hellogoodbye1

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Does anyone know if we need to fill out anything other than the FAFSA and Need Access for financial aid? On the website it says "you should complete three documents by March 1," but only these two are listed....

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:33 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:Does anyone know if we need to fill out anything other than the FAFSA and Need Access for financial aid? On the website it says "you should complete three documents by March 1," but only these two are listed....

there's a doc for that returning students fill out, which doesn't apply to 0-1L's

StyrofoamWar

Postby StyrofoamWar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:49 am

Okay, question for some quick advice: I have a 3.48 and a 165 with 2 years work experience with a major law firm in SF as a paralegal and some good softs from my undergrad days. I went complete at Hastings on 10/28 and have not heard ANYTHING and keep hearing about decisions rendered for people who applied significantly later than I did. Is it a good idea to call them and just confirm that my application isn't lost, etc? For a school that advertises its rolling admissions process, I find it really frustrating/confusing that people who applied with similar numbers at much later dates than I did have already heard back. Especially considering that Hastings is my top choice, I'm just waiting to hear from them. Judging by LSN, I hope I have a decent shot at it, but have heard nothing even though I applied really early. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:54 am

StyrofoamWar wrote:Okay, question for some quick advice: I have a 3.48 and a 165 with 2 years work experience with a major law firm in SF as a paralegal and some good softs from my undergrad days. I went complete at Hastings on 10/28 and have not heard ANYTHING and keep hearing about decisions rendered for people who applied significantly later than I did. Is it a good idea to call them and just confirm that my application isn't lost, etc? For a school that advertises its rolling admissions process, I find it really frustrating/confusing that people who applied with similar numbers at much later dates than I did have already heard back. Especially considering that Hastings is my top choice, I'm just waiting to hear from them. Judging by LSN, I hope I have a decent shot at it, but have heard nothing even though I applied really early. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Go ahead and call. They say not to, that it'll hold up the process, and it is true that several people have been waiting since early November (and assumably late October), but it'd be nothing but legitimate to call and check now. Maybe they did misplace it - better safe than sorry. (I emailed another school because I got an email from them saying they got my app and would email me when it was complete but a month later they still hadn't emailed me. I emailed them and they said it was complete and they'd contact me with a decision... but a few hours later I got the automated complete message)

bayareadunks

Postby bayareadunks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Got the congratulations letter on Saturday. Sent 12/8, received 12/16, complete 1/4. I finally have an acceptance from a good safety school. Info and #'s are in profile.

OlderHopeful

Postby OlderHopeful » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Congrats. I'm still waiting for a decision -- applied to LEOP as well.

2013esq wrote:
swheat wrote:
nlmne20 wrote:I was admitted LEOP about a week ago and I'm really excited about the prospect of going to Hastings. But I'm wondering how the student body as a whole treats the LEOP students. I don't want to feel like some second class citizen because I got in for different reasons than a traditional applicant. Any thoughts from current Hastings students?

I don't even know who the LEOP students are. If you don't announce yourself then nobody will know. Even if people did know, most of them would not treat you differently...it's not like people are opposed to LEOP in the first place.

I don't know if this is entirely true. I have a few friends in LEOP and have attended several LEOP-sponsored events on campus. It's true that you don't have to make your LEOP-status made public but I've heard that many non-minority students feel that LEOP students get an "unfair advantage" because they have access to free exam prep and mentors, etc. Many students ARE opposed to LEOP. This is just what I've heard.

By the way, I got into LEOP, too, and am totally honored.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 pm

exotic wrote:hey,
has anyone emailed asking for the housing board invite? i never got a response...

I sent a request, but did not get a response either.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Borhas wrote:
azukibeanlove wrote:

Two reasons. One, my younger brother is saving up for a car, and if I go to Hastings I can just pass my car down to him. he can lend me some moving money and we'll both be better off for it.

The second reason is that I want to live in an urban environment for once to see what it's like. I'd probably be more comfortable at Davis, but Davis is a lot like my UG city. I want to mix it up a little.

Besides all that, my philosophy on difficult decision making is if there are two options which both have positives and negatives, the harder the decision is, the less it actually matters which choice one makes. Basically, the net benefits aren't so different, and thus I benefit more from making a quick and confident choice than worrying about figuring out which one has the slight marginal benefit.

With that said, I might change my mind...

thats some real shit right there..lol go to hastings

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

OlderHopeful wrote:Congrats. I'm still waiting for a decision -- applied to LEOP as well.

2013esq wrote:
swheat wrote:
nlmne20 wrote:I was admitted LEOP about a week ago and I'm really excited about the prospect of going to Hastings. But I'm wondering how the student body as a whole treats the LEOP students. I don't want to feel like some second class citizen because I got in for different reasons than a traditional applicant. Any thoughts from current Hastings students?

I don't even know who the LEOP students are. If you don't announce yourself then nobody will know. Even if people did know, most of them would not treat you differently...it's not like people are opposed to LEOP in the first place.

I don't know if this is entirely true. I have a few friends in LEOP and have attended several LEOP-sponsored events on campus. It's true that you don't have to make your LEOP-status made public but I've heard that many non-minority students feel that LEOP students get an "unfair advantage" because they have access to free exam prep and mentors, etc. Many students ARE opposed to LEOP. This is just what I've heard.

By the way, I got into LEOP, too, and am totally honored.

I seriously considered LEOP even though I think my numbers give me a pretty great shot without it (unless they hate splitters enough to make my .04-lower-than-their-25th cancel out my 5-over-their-75th). The test prep and study library were quite the draw. In the end I decided against it in favor of a faster response. Had a draft of the question responses done and everything. I might see myself resenting the LEOP kids, but it would be because I was mad at myself for not taking advantage of the opportunity. LEOP's totally cool. You can have something other than the color of your skin get you in... props for that. And good for anyone who cares enough about their education to apply to a program that gives them access to an institution they might not have otherwise gotten into.

vacations

Postby vacations » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Still waiting for Hastings response myself...just a thought - is there a cutoff GPA / LSAT score for LEOP?

What is the lowest GPA/LSAT combo yall have heard of somebody getting in with?

thanks.

StyrofoamWar

Postby StyrofoamWar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:49 pm

For anyone wondering about long wait times, I called and spoke with Hastings today since I had been complete/heard nothing for over 3.5 months and it's my top choice. Their response was "You haven't heard anything because there's nothing new to tell you, you will receive a decision by the end of May". Don't bother calling.

While I know they ask you not to contact them, they also say they will review applications by rolling admissions/order received, so the fact that decisions are coming back from people who applied in mid January made me feel like it was legit to at least make sure they haven't lost my application. Try adding a status checker or SOMETHING Hastings, then you won't have to deal with annoying applicants who just want to confirm that they are actually having their application reviewed.
Last edited by StyrofoamWar on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vkw104

Postby vkw104 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, but thought I'd contribute since you guys helped me keep sane through these months.

Submitted to Hastings on 1/3, Complete on 1/4, Accepted on 2/5.
165, 3.8. No work experience, no real good soft factors.

I live in the city, so maybe that helped speed the process? Good luck all!

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:52 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:For anyone wondering about long wait times, I called and spoke with Hastings today since I had been complete/heard nothing for over 3.5 months and it's my top choice. Their response was "You haven't heard anything because there's nothing new to tell you, you will receive a decision by the end of May". Don't bother calling. Hastings is no longer my top choice, ha.

is this real? like word by word quote?

if so that was really really rude lol

StyrofoamWar

Postby StyrofoamWar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:52 pm

jmaan wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:For anyone wondering about long wait times, I called and spoke with Hastings today since I had been complete/heard nothing for over 3.5 months and it's my top choice. Their response was "You haven't heard anything because there's nothing new to tell you, you will receive a decision by the end of May". Don't bother calling. Hastings is no longer my top choice, ha.

That was the person's response, word for word. I was shocked.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:
jmaan wrote:

they don't really seem to respond to emails either...

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:
jmaan wrote:

Yikes, that was pretty rude....

Given the benefit of the doubt I'm sure about this time every year they get hundreds of these calls a week.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
StyrofoamWar wrote:
jmaan wrote:

Yikes, that was pretty rude....

Given the benefit of the doubt I'm sure about this time every year they get hundreds of these calls a week.

And you never have to have anything to do with the admissions department ever again if you prefer =)

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Whoa. I was planning to call them too. Thanks for the heads up. I'm dealing with about the same length of wait time. But FWIW, they only started reviewing apps in January. I also applied LEOP which could account for the longer wait. *sigh* Hope to hear from you soon, Hastings!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”